Dimensions Forums  
Home Register Premium Membership Health Issues Market Place Big Fashion

Go Back   Dimensions Forums > Discussion > GLBTQ

Old 09-02-2009, 09:05 PM   #1
Weeze
Justin Bieber of Dims

Weeze has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Weeze has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Weeze has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Weeze has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Weeze has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Weeze has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Weeze has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Weeze has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Weeze has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Weeze has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Weeze has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!
Default I think I know now!

So, as a few of you know, i've had no clue what i want to do with my life for a long time now. NO CLUE. Well, after talking with a social worker (my current major) and getting the opportunity to go work with an after-school program for GLBTQ teens starting in october, i think i've finally figured it out. When I was seeing the one doctor for some depression problems I was having, my mom brought up the idea and asked if there was anyone I could see the knew a lot about sexuality, because she'd heard that gender/sexuality confusion was a big factor in depression for sixteen year olds (thank oprah, kids). I never ended up seeing anyone about it because I personally did not see the need, nor did my doctor at the time, but I was thinking.... I think I'd like to be THAT person. The "oh, this person's having problems with their sexuality/gender identity, Let me send you to this girl, because she knows more about it." person, and i brought it up to a friend of the family that's a social worker, and then another girl who works with the after-school program and they both think it's a fabulous idea.

Do you think this might be a good idea, or does it sound like i'm going somewhere unnecessary?
Old 09-02-2009, 10:01 PM   #2
ashmamma84
Om Namah Shivayah

ashmamma84 keeps pushing the rep limit!ashmamma84 keeps pushing the rep limit!ashmamma84 keeps pushing the rep limit!ashmamma84 keeps pushing the rep limit!ashmamma84 keeps pushing the rep limit!ashmamma84 keeps pushing the rep limit!ashmamma84 keeps pushing the rep limit!ashmamma84 keeps pushing the rep limit!ashmamma84 keeps pushing the rep limit!ashmamma84 keeps pushing the rep limit!ashmamma84 keeps pushing the rep limit!

I think its great you're narrowing down your interests but don't be surprised if you find yourself majoring in something else or just exploring options as thbat's pretty normal, especially for someone just beginning undergrad. So, have fun with it. Take some classes and see how they go. If they turn out great and if they don't...all isn't lost. A lot of people really don't know what they want to do for the rest of their lives at 18 or 19 so its all good. Lives change, careers change--just be open and have fun learning and growing.

I wish you the best!
Old 09-03-2009, 04:52 AM   #3
butch
cuddly, hairy, and fat

butch has ascended what used to be the highest level.butch has ascended what used to be the highest level.butch has ascended what used to be the highest level.butch has ascended what used to be the highest level.butch has ascended what used to be the highest level.butch has ascended what used to be the highest level.butch has ascended what used to be the highest level.butch has ascended what used to be the highest level.butch has ascended what used to be the highest level.butch has ascended what used to be the highest level.butch has ascended what used to be the highest level.

I think that is a wonderful career choice. As Ash says, explore as an undergrad, though, and become as well-rounded () as possible in your studies. Are you thinking of getting a MSW?
Old 09-03-2009, 05:05 AM   #4
Cors
Delurking

Cors keeps pushing the rep limit!Cors keeps pushing the rep limit!Cors keeps pushing the rep limit!Cors keeps pushing the rep limit!Cors keeps pushing the rep limit!Cors keeps pushing the rep limit!Cors keeps pushing the rep limit!Cors keeps pushing the rep limit!Cors keeps pushing the rep limit!Cors keeps pushing the rep limit!Cors keeps pushing the rep limit!

I think it is a great idea!

How feasible where you live or want to work in? Where I am, the calls and visits are mostly filled by volunteers instead.
Cors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 05:41 AM   #5
Melian
Ultimate Chimera

Melian has ascended what used to be the highest level.Melian has ascended what used to be the highest level.Melian has ascended what used to be the highest level.Melian has ascended what used to be the highest level.Melian has ascended what used to be the highest level.Melian has ascended what used to be the highest level.Melian has ascended what used to be the highest level.Melian has ascended what used to be the highest level.Melian has ascended what used to be the highest level.Melian has ascended what used to be the highest level.Melian has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashmamma84 View Post
I think its great you're narrowing down your interests but don't be surprised if you find yourself majoring in something else or just exploring options as thbat's pretty normal, especially for someone just beginning undergrad. So, have fun with it. Take some classes and see how they go. If they turn out great and if they don't...all isn't lost. A lot of people really don't know what they want to do for the rest of their lives at 18 or 19 so its all good. Lives change, careers change--just be open and have fun learning and growing.

I wish you the best!
Gotta agree with everything she just said. It's uncommon to just decide what you want to do for the rest of your life when you're in your late teens/early 20's and then actually do it forever - it makes more sense to identify one general area that interests you and branch out from there.

Anyway, good luck with this! I've been in university for over 7 years and still don't know what I want to do (but am considering finishing my mol bio degree and then working for SEGA)!
Old 09-03-2009, 06:24 AM   #6
Tad
mostly harmless

Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Hmmm, I kind of agree with the others and kind of disagree. First of all, I think that is an awesome goal. I agree with others that sometimes our goals change as we see and experience more, and that is fine. I disagree a bit in that I think it can be pretty excellent to have a goal as you hit college, something to provide some focus to your class choices. Sure you need to make sure you are getting some variety and finding things that interest you, but frankly no matter how long four years may see, it isn’t much at all for building up expertise. If you have some focus that you build your class choices around then you will come out with some degree of expertise in one area.

Of course, whether or not anyone cares right off about that expertise, I don’t know. What happens with most people is you first get hired for a fairly random job, and spend some time developing more real world work skills and proving yourself, then in a few years you get to aim for a job with a bit more responsibility and trust involved, and after a few more years you have the cred to go either go after the thing you really want or to start making it for yourself. In other words, coming out of college, no matter how focused your classes, the odds of someone hiring you to be ‘that lady’ probably aren’t that high—you haven’t proven yourself yet. So you probably end up with a more routine social work position, doing the most standard stuff, at first. But you keep trying to move towards what you want, and hopefully you get there in not so long.

Lots of people do it other ways, kind of trying this or that and finding what they like, then sticking with that thing, which develops some more into something a bit different, or whatever. But there is nothing wrong with having a goal and keeping your eye out for opportunities to move towards that goal.

(and yes, to disclose my biasses, I was a focused type. I decided at the end of high school that I wanted to work in semi-conductors (‘computer chips’) because I thought their increasing power and ever smaller size and cost would end up changing the world. I went into electrical engineering and took all the semi related courses I could, but realized somewhere along the line I was not meant to be a chip designer. I graduated and ended up doing reliability for electronics going into space at a couple of different companies before I was finally able to move to a semiconductor company to do reliability work there. Not quite what I’d intended originally, but related. A lot of my friends were unfocused, but a couple were focused and went through a similar process to what I had before they got where they wanted to be)
Old 09-03-2009, 07:48 AM   #7
Tracii

Tracii has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Tracii has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Tracii has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Tracii has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Tracii has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Tracii has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Tracii has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Tracii has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Tracii has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Tracii has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Tracii has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Thats a great idea check it out and take some classes and see as many doctors that work in that field and get to know them on a one on one basis.
When I finally figured out that I had gender dysphoria there were not many people that delt with this subject.
Its a great goal IMO there are lots of people that need your help out there.
Tracii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 07:03 AM   #8
Ruffie

Ruffie keeps pushing the rep limit!Ruffie keeps pushing the rep limit!Ruffie keeps pushing the rep limit!Ruffie keeps pushing the rep limit!Ruffie keeps pushing the rep limit!Ruffie keeps pushing the rep limit!Ruffie keeps pushing the rep limit!Ruffie keeps pushing the rep limit!Ruffie keeps pushing the rep limit!Ruffie keeps pushing the rep limit!Ruffie keeps pushing the rep limit!

That is a great idea Kris. You have gotten some great advice so far from other posters! I would suggest however doing your practicums in the areas in which you want to work. We have a lot of people come and do their practicum experience at the school and youth centre I run. Many decide after their time with us that it is just not for them because working with kids in that environment can be very stressful and others truly love it and it reaffirms their choice.