Dimensions Forums  
Home Register Premium Membership Health Issues Market Place Big Fashion

Go Back   Dimensions Forums > Discussion > Weight Board

Old 09-29-2005, 11:20 PM   #1
fanofallthegirls
On Timeout

fanofallthegirls has said some nice things
Default this is easier to use

this software is easier to use, and it's easier to read through. loads faster on my mac too.

it'd be interesting to see how it does on bandwidth. also I think more paysites should consider some ads like at other boards to help support this resource!

or google ads maybe? I dunno. I just know nothing is free and we all gotta support the site however we can.
fanofallthegirls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2005, 11:22 PM   #2
HeatherBBW
Nerd-like.

HeatherBBW has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!HeatherBBW has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!HeatherBBW has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!HeatherBBW has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!HeatherBBW has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!HeatherBBW has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!HeatherBBW has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!HeatherBBW has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!HeatherBBW has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!HeatherBBW has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!HeatherBBW has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fanofallthegirls
this software is easier to use, and it's easier to read through. loads faster on my mac too.

it'd be interesting to see how it does on bandwidth. also I think more paysites should consider some ads like at other boards to help support this resource!

or google ads maybe? I dunno. I just know nothing is free and we all gotta support the site however we can.
I totally agree, but I know Conrad doesn't want to swamp the boards with ads. But maybe little ones at the bottom or something. I would definitely sign up if it was within my budget.
HeatherBBW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2005, 11:25 PM   #3
waitingforsuperman
annmarie says i'm snarky

waitingforsuperman can now change their title

I really, really doubt Conrad would be a fan of this, but I know of several forums which have a small (five or ten dollar) annual fee per user. Some make certain forums available, but certain forums and other options (avatars, private messages, and the like) unavailable without a "full membership." I'm not encouraging that or anything; I'm just saying what I've seen at other places on the web. Other than that, I've seen on other vBulliten boards links that read: "make a donation."

That said, I really love the format, mainly because I'm totally used to it, as I go to three other message boards regularly, and they all use vBulliten.
Old 09-29-2005, 11:28 PM   #4
HeatherBBW
Nerd-like.

HeatherBBW has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!HeatherBBW has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!HeatherBBW has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!HeatherBBW has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!HeatherBBW has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!HeatherBBW has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!HeatherBBW has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!HeatherBBW has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!HeatherBBW has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!HeatherBBW has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!HeatherBBW has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Quote:
Originally Posted by waitingforsuperman
I really, really doubt Conrad would be a fan of this, but I know of several forums which have a small (five or ten dollar) annual fee per user. Some make certain forums available, but certain forums and other options (avatars, private messages, and the like) unavailable without a "full membership." I'm not encouraging that or anything; I'm just saying what I've seen at other places on the web. Other than that, I've seen on other vBulliten boards links that read: "make a donation."

That said, I really love the format, mainly because I'm totally used to it, as I go to three other message boards regularly, and they all use vBulliten.
That's a great idea, he could maybe make a paypal account and have a little donation link at the top of the forum in the header with a link and people can donate if they want. Paypal also has a recurring monthly donation thingamabob too, so even if someone only wanted to donate $1 per month, those dollars would add up super fast and maybe Conrad would get something back to cover his costs and maybe a bit extra to take Ruby on a nice dinner to that fabooo mexican place in their town.

Mmmmm... those chimichangas... once you've had one you will never ever forget.
Old 09-29-2005, 11:34 PM   #5
missaf

missaf has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!missaf has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!missaf has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!missaf has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!missaf has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!missaf has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!missaf has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!missaf has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!missaf has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!missaf has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!missaf has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

I happen to like the PayPal idea. I donate for the other two forums I use.
missaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2005, 11:39 PM   #6
HeatherBBW
Nerd-like.

Quote:
Originally Posted by missaf
I happen to like the PayPal idea. I donate for the other two forums I use.
Well lets hope Conrad likes the idea, I think he definitely deserves to get some kickback and it wouldn't be mandatory and it would be anonymous so he might go for it - here is to hoping!
Old 09-29-2005, 11:43 PM   #7
waitingforsuperman
annmarie says i'm snarky

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatherBBW
Well lets hope Conrad likes the idea, I think he definitely deserves to get some kickback...
I totally agree. I think I may have said that already, though.
Old 09-30-2005, 05:25 AM   #8
SoVerySoft
No fat no flavor

SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.

I'm all for the option of being able to contribute. Perhaps have different levels of memberships, allowing people to have free memberships with limited options (but still able to post).

That's how eGullet does it - with Participating member (free); Supporting member ($50); Sustaining member ($100) and Benefactor ($250).

What does Dimensions mean to you? I would love to contribute, and I am very sure others would too.
SoVerySoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2005, 07:21 AM   #9
Pauline

Pauline never has a post go unnoticedPauline never has a post go unnoticedPauline never has a post go unnoticedPauline never has a post go unnoticedPauline never has a post go unnoticedPauline never has a post go unnoticedPauline never has a post go unnoticedPauline never has a post go unnoticed
Red face I cant figure this out....lol

comic sams3magenta
am i the only dummy around here?
Pauline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2005, 08:13 AM   #10
Webmaster
Chief Emeritus

Webmaster has ascended what used to be the highest level.Webmaster has ascended what used to be the highest level.Webmaster has ascended what used to be the highest level.Webmaster has ascended what used to be the highest level.Webmaster has ascended what used to be the highest level.Webmaster has ascended what used to be the highest level.Webmaster has ascended what used to be the highest level.Webmaster has ascended what used to be the highest level.Webmaster has ascended what used to be the highest level.Webmaster has ascended what used to be the highest level.Webmaster has ascended what used to be the highest level.

A few things come to mind. Yes, I should probably have a PayPal button for voluntary contributions to defer costs, but somehow I never got around to looking how that is done.

I SO wish I could use the Google AdSense program for Dimensions. My primary tech site has less than a tenth of the traffic Dimensions does, and it generates good money every month. But AdSense only works on sites that discuss product.

I thought about memberships. The overall boards should be free, and that will not change. I saw that other boards have premium memberships where people pay so and so much and then they get some perks, like more storage space, larger pics, higher PM number, and access to members-only forums. I did sign up for a couple of those, but it always turned out that the members-only forums were dull and had no value added.

I continue to wish I had been able to set up the Matching System with a pay option. Others charge outrageous fees for such systems, and I think the one I customized for Dimensions is better than most, yet it's free. It has several thousand people registered.

I think offering a level of paying membership may be the way to go here.
Webmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2005, 08:20 AM   #11
Rubybbw

Rubybbw can now change their title

Quote:
That's a great idea, he could maybe make a paypal account and have a little donation link at the top of the forum in the header with a link and people can donate if they want. Paypal also has a recurring monthly donation thingamabob too, so even if someone only wanted to donate $1 per month, those dollars would add up super fast and maybe Conrad would get something back to cover his costs and maybe a bit extra to take Ruby on a nice dinner to that fabooo mexican place in their town.

Mmmmm... those chimichangas... once you've had one you will never ever forget.
Heather,
You remember!! We go there anytime we get a night out. Still our favorite, actually, only resturant. In a rut, we are, but such a nice one.
As you probably remember, the servings, especially re: the chimichangas are humongus, so much so, that we always got a doggie bag, and thus had our lunch all ready for the next day.....or was it breakfast?

Thanks,

Ruby
Rubybbw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2005, 11:16 AM   #12
HeatherBBW
Nerd-like.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Webmaster
A few things come to mind. Yes, I should probably have a PayPal button for voluntary contributions to defer costs, but somehow I never got around to looking how that is done.

I SO wish I could use the Google AdSense program for Dimensions. My primary tech site has less than a tenth of the traffic Dimensions does, and it generates good money every month. But AdSense only works on sites that discuss product.

I thought about memberships. The overall boards should be free, and that will not change. I saw that other boards have premium memberships where people pay so and so much and then they get some perks, like more storage space, larger pics, higher PM number, and access to members-only forums. I did sign up for a couple of those, but it always turned out that the members-only forums were dull and had no value added.

I continue to wish I had been able to set up the Matching System with a pay option. Others charge outrageous fees for such systems, and I think the one I customized for Dimensions is better than most, yet it's free. It has several thousand people registered.

I think offering a level of paying membership may be the way to go here.

Conrad, I would be happy to give Ruby a call and work with her to get the paypal donation link and a graphic set up for you, you would just have to drop the link in and/or graphic - whichever you preferred. Just let me know
Old 09-30-2005, 11:18 AM   #13
HeatherBBW
Nerd-like.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubybbw
Heather,
You remember!! We go there anytime we get a night out. Still our favorite, actually, only resturant. In a rut, we are, but such a nice one.
As you probably remember, the servings, especially re: the chimichangas are humongus, so much so, that we always got a doggie bag, and thus had our lunch all ready for the next day.....or was it breakfast?

Thanks,

Ruby
Oh I will NEVER forget!! I still order Chimichangas everywhere I go hoping to duplicate the taste fulfillment, some places have come a little close.. but definitely it's not the same!!

And yes.. the proportions were excellent - not one but two fat stuffed chimi's - chicken for you - beef for me.. yum yum.

Now it's a sin.. because we forgot to mention the fried ice cream... ::sigh:: I might have to come out for a visit soon!!
Old 09-30-2005, 05:55 PM   #14
AnnMarie
✰cuddly and terrifying✰

AnnMarie has ascended what used to be the highest level.AnnMarie has ascended what used to be the highest level.AnnMarie has ascended what used to be the highest level.AnnMarie has ascended what used to be the highest level.AnnMarie has ascended what used to be the highest level.AnnMarie has ascended what used to be the highest level.AnnMarie has ascended what used to be the highest level.AnnMarie has ascended what used to be the highest level.AnnMarie has ascended what used to be the highest level.AnnMarie has ascended what used to be the highest level.AnnMarie has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Oh I will NEVER forget!! I still order Chimichangas everywhere I go hoping to duplicate the taste fulfillment, some places have come a little close.. but definitely it's not the same!!

And yes.. the proportions were excellent - not one but two fat stuffed chimi's - chicken for you - beef for me.. yum yum.

Now it's a sin.. because we forgot to mention the fried ice cream... ::sigh:: I might have to come out for a visit soon!!

*perk*

Mexican food in CA??

I'm in!
Old 09-30-2005, 06:13 PM   #15
Webmaster
Chief Emeritus

Webmaster has ascended what used to be the highest level.Webmaster has ascended what used to be the highest level.Webmaster has ascended what used to be the highest level.Webmaster has ascended what used to be the highest level.Webmaster has ascended what used to be the highest level.Webmaster has ascended what used to be the highest level.Webmaster has ascended what used to be the highest level.Webmaster has ascended what used to be the highest level.Webmaster has ascended what used to be the highest level.Webmaster has ascended what used to be the highest level.Webmaster has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnMarie
*perk*

Mexican food in CA??

I'm in!
Yes! Place is called Mision Rogelio, and it is The Best! And also has the very best Margaritas anywhere in this galaxy.
Webmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2005, 06:34 PM   #16
SoVerySoft
No fat no flavor

SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
I thought about memberships. The overall boards should be free, and that will not change. I saw that other boards have premium memberships where people pay so and so much and then they get some perks, like more storage space, larger pics, higher PM number, and access to members-only forums.....I think offering a level of paying membership may be the way to go here.
Conrad, on eGullet under the person's name, it says "Participating Member", "Supporting Member" etc...so that if someone has decided to contribute to the board, it shows. I like that - it indicates that you take the value of the board to heart, and want to give something back.

They do also give more storage space, higher PM number, etc etc, but to me, those are not as important as publicly (and proudly) showing my support.
SoVerySoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2005, 08:23 PM   #17
HeatherBBW
Nerd-like.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnMarie
*perk*

Mexican food in CA??

I'm in!
Let's go for a surprise visit!

Wait.. it wouldn't be so much of a surprise now would it - well let's go anyhoo!
Old 09-30-2005, 08:24 PM   #18
HeatherBBW
Nerd-like.

Quote:
Yes! Place is called Mision Rogelio, and it is The Best! And also has the very best Margaritas anywhere in this galaxy.
I remembered the name, just not how to spell it. But heck, for me I will skip the margaritas and have a double... a double fried ice cream!
Old 09-30-2005, 08:57 PM   #19
fatlane
Starting Arvist

fatlane has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!fatlane has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!fatlane has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!fatlane has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!fatlane has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!fatlane has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!fatlane has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!fatlane has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!fatlane has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!fatlane has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!fatlane has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Wait a minute... if we had to pay to use the board, wouldn't that mean all posts about the board would have to go under the "Paysite" part of the board? Wouldn't that create an endless self-referencing logical loop?

Holy boolean operators, Batman! Better think this one through carefully, ere we all wind up in a thoughtful funk, philosophically unable to comprehend the solution to a paysite that is not a paysite...

O Occam! Where is thy razor?
fatlane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2005, 08:59 PM   #20
AnnMarie
✰cuddly and terrifying✰

AnnMarie has ascended what used to be the highest level.AnnMarie has ascended what used to be the highest level.AnnMarie has ascended what used to be the highest level.AnnMarie has ascended what used to be the highest level.AnnMarie has ascended what used to be the highest level.AnnMarie has ascended what used to be the highest level.AnnMarie has ascended what used to be the highest level.AnnMarie has ascended what used to be the highest level.AnnMarie has ascended what used to be the highest level.AnnMarie has ascended what used to be the highest level.AnnMarie has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlane
Wait a minute... if we had to pay to use the board, wouldn't that mean all posts about the board would have to go under the "Paysite" part of the board? Wouldn't that create an endless self-referencing logical loop?

Holy boolean operators, Batman! Better think this one through carefully, ere we all wind up in a thoughtful funk, philosophically unable to comprehend the solution to a paysite that is not a paysite...

O Occam! Where is thy razor?
LOL, perfect example of overthinking!
Old 09-30-2005, 09:06 PM   #21
waitingforsuperman
annmarie says i'm snarky

Quote:
it always turned out that the members-only forums were dull and had no value added.

well, for the sake of anonymity, i'm not going to post a link, but i'm a regular member of a forum that has members-only forums which are quite worthwhile. if you'd like to see it, pm me. i'll send you a link.
Old 09-30-2005, 09:35 PM   #22
missaf

missaf has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!missaf has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!missaf has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!missaf has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!missaf has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!missaf has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!missaf has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!missaf has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!missaf has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!missaf has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!missaf has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Darn, that's too bad Google AdSense won't work. I don't mind clicking ads from them. It won't pick up on keywords on the boards, will it?
missaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2005, 01:36 PM   #23
panhype
Apréslist

panhype makes people happy simply by logging inpanhype makes people happy simply by logging inpanhype makes people happy simply by logging inpanhype makes people happy simply by logging inpanhype makes people happy simply by logging inpanhype makes people happy simply by logging inpanhype makes people happy simply by logging inpanhype makes people happy simply by logging inpanhype makes people happy simply by logging in
Default Banners !

Not sure if we're supposed to post our opinions here.. But after i'm at it: I wouldn't mind at all banners f. ex. on top and on the bottom of the paysite board. The other board that a few of us are visiting too (and what is also using vBulletin) does it and i don't see any annoyance in it. Many of those rotating banners are even nice to look at.

I mean you see the banners once you've loaded the page and then scroll down anyway... Just my 2 cents
panhype is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2005, 11:33 AM   #24
Sandie S-R

Sandie S-R keeps pushing the rep limit!Sandie S-R keeps pushing the rep limit!Sandie S-R keeps pushing the rep limit!Sandie S-R keeps pushing the rep limit!Sandie S-R keeps pushing the rep limit!Sandie S-R keeps pushing the rep limit!Sandie S-R keeps pushing the rep limit!Sandie S-R keeps pushing the rep limit!Sandie S-R keeps pushing the rep limit!Sandie S-R keeps pushing the rep limit!Sandie S-R keeps pushing the rep limit!

It is an easy and fun board, isn't it? I frequent a Long Hair Community that uses this type as well, and have really enjoyed it. It is fast and fun to use...and I like being able to have the sigs and smileys and profiles and all. Great stuff.

Our hair board has the Google ads, and they work very well and are not distractive, so I agree that they would be good to help defray the costs for Conrad.

Sandie S-R is offline   Reply With Quote