Dimensions Forums  
Home Register Premium Membership Stories Ye Olde Library Health Issues Market Place Big Fashion

Go Back   Dimensions Forums > Discussion > Weight Board

Old 10-26-2009, 10:47 AM   #1
Russ2d

Russ2d carries a lot of weight on this boardRuss2d carries a lot of weight on this boardRuss2d carries a lot of weight on this boardRuss2d carries a lot of weight on this boardRuss2d carries a lot of weight on this board
Default "Fat" family loses children

'Fat Family' Children Taken From Parents
12:01pm UK, Thursday October 22, 2009

http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/UK-...=ARTICLE_15411

Quote:
Kirsty Donald, Sky News Online

Seven children, including a newborn baby, have been taken from their overweight parents and put into care because of concerns over their welfare.

Some of the children, who cannot be identified, also have weight problems

The family from Dundee was split up by social workers following a meeting of the Children's Panel.

The youngsters include a girl born earlier this week at the city's Ninewells Hospital and taken from the arms of her 23 stone mother shortly afterwards.

The 40-year-old woman and her 53-year-old husband, who weighs around 18 stone, have not been named to protect the identity of their children.

Two of their kids, aged three and four, were taken into care earlier this year.

Now the other five, including the newborn and a 13-year-old boy who is said to weigh 16 stone, have been taken from their parents.

The local authority insisted it was not its policy to remove children from their family home solely on the basis of weight problems.

Councils will always act with the welfare and safety of children in mind and there can be many reasons for action being taken.

Dundee City Council spokesman

But the family's solicitor Kathleen Price has previously claimed obesity was the main reason for the children being taken from their parents.

She said the couple had not been given a fair hearing and had been "victimised".

A spokesman for Dundee City Council said: "Any decision about a child's situation is given full and careful consideration.

"In many cases social workers will have been providing a high level of professional and caring support to a family for many years in a bid to keep them together.

"However, the welfare and safety of a child or children is the over-riding priority and in some cases, despite the strenuous efforts of the agencies providing this support, the best option is for them to be looked after away from their home.

"Councils will always act with the welfare and safety of children in mind and there can be many reasons for action being taken."
Russ2d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 10:56 AM   #2
TraciJo67
On Timeout

TraciJo67 has ascended what used to be the highest level.TraciJo67 has ascended what used to be the highest level.TraciJo67 has ascended what used to be the highest level.TraciJo67 has ascended what used to be the highest level.TraciJo67 has ascended what used to be the highest level.TraciJo67 has ascended what used to be the highest level.TraciJo67 has ascended what used to be the highest level.TraciJo67 has ascended what used to be the highest level.TraciJo67 has ascended what used to be the highest level.TraciJo67 has ascended what used to be the highest level.TraciJo67 has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ2d View Post
'Fat Family' Children Taken From Parents
12:01pm UK, Thursday October 22, 2009

http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/UK-...=ARTICLE_15411
Despite the provocative nature of the headlines, I very much doubt that the children were removed from parental custody due to obesity.
TraciJo67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 11:05 AM   #3
mergirl

mergirl keeps pushing the rep limit!mergirl keeps pushing the rep limit!mergirl keeps pushing the rep limit!mergirl keeps pushing the rep limit!mergirl keeps pushing the rep limit!mergirl keeps pushing the rep limit!mergirl keeps pushing the rep limit!mergirl keeps pushing the rep limit!mergirl keeps pushing the rep limit!mergirl keeps pushing the rep limit!mergirl keeps pushing the rep limit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TraciJo67 View Post
Despite the provocative nature of the headlines, I very much doubt that the children were removed from parental custody due to obesity.
Yeah.. its not true.
I read a proper newspaper and there was a statement from the head of a social work department saying that the children were not taken away from thier family due to the weight of the parent and that there were other factors involved.
Old 10-26-2009, 11:15 AM   #4
Jigen

Jigen knows EXACTLY what's going onJigen knows EXACTLY what's going onJigen knows EXACTLY what's going onJigen knows EXACTLY what's going onJigen knows EXACTLY what's going onJigen knows EXACTLY what's going on

Quote:
I don't think so. There must be something else journalists aren't telling.
Sappho, VI century BC
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Jigen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 11:19 AM   #5
TraciJo67
On Timeout

TraciJo67 has ascended what used to be the highest level.TraciJo67 has ascended what used to be the highest level.TraciJo67 has ascended what used to be the highest level.TraciJo67 has ascended what used to be the highest level.TraciJo67 has ascended what used to be the highest level.TraciJo67 has ascended what used to be the highest level.TraciJo67 has ascended what used to be the highest level.TraciJo67 has ascended what used to be the highest level.TraciJo67 has ascended what used to be the highest level.TraciJo67 has ascended what used to be the highest level.TraciJo67 has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jigen View Post
I don't think so. There must be something else journalists aren't telling.
The journalists wouldn't have a clue why the children were removed from parental custody, since such decisions involving minors are usually made under sealed conditions. So, as usual, the yellow-ish journalists are very 'responsibly' speculating about the causes.
TraciJo67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 11:40 AM   #6
mergirl

mergirl keeps pushing the rep limit!mergirl keeps pushing the rep limit!mergirl keeps pushing the rep limit!mergirl keeps pushing the rep limit!mergirl keeps pushing the rep limit!mergirl keeps pushing the rep limit!mergirl keeps pushing the rep limit!mergirl keeps pushing the rep limit!mergirl keeps pushing the rep limit!mergirl keeps pushing the rep limit!mergirl keeps pushing the rep limit!

Quote:
The journalists wouldn't have a clue why the children were removed from parental custody, since such decisions involving minors are usually made under sealed conditions. So, as usual, the yellow-ish journalists are very 'responsibly' speculating about the causes.
I think in this case it was the family that went to the press for attention, which they certainly got!
Old 10-27-2009, 04:30 AM   #7
Fat Nat

Fat Nat has said some nice things

I can't imagine that the kids would be taken away from their parents because of weight issues. 23 stone is 322 lbs, which is hardly gigantic.
Fat Nat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 06:53 AM   #8
Jigen

Jigen knows EXACTLY what's going onJigen knows EXACTLY what's going onJigen knows EXACTLY what's going onJigen knows EXACTLY what's going onJigen knows EXACTLY what's going onJigen knows EXACTLY what's going on

Quote:
I never trust journalists (as you may know, according to Freedom House Italy fell on the 73rd place in the world for Freedom of Press), and now that I know how this things work, I realized my mistrust was right. Thanks, for the advice, Traci.
Sappho, VI century BC
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Last edited by Jigen; 10-27-2009 at 07:04 AM.
Jigen is offline   Reply With Quote