Dimensions Forums  
Home Register Premium Membership Stories Ye Olde Library Health Issues Market Place Big Fashion

Go Back   Dimensions Forums > Discussion > FA/FFA forum

Old 06-22-2009, 12:10 PM   #1
Tad
mostly harmless

Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.
Default Meanings for "FA"

I think FA is an acronym used for a lot of things....but I wonder how many?

- In my line of work "FA" normally means "failure analysis" or sometimes "First Article."

- Here in Quebec there is a magazine called "FA," which to my disapointment turned out to stand for "Femme d'Aujourd'hui" (a somewhat racy looking woman's magazine)

What else?
Old 06-22-2009, 02:51 PM   #2
jonah-uk

jonah-uk can now change their title

in the UK it refers to the Football Association. that's the first meaning that would come into most people's minds (and i notice it's the first result back for 'fa' in Google)
jonah-uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 09:46 PM   #3
tonynyc
Slow Dance Aficionado

tonynyc has ascended what used to be the highest level.tonynyc has ascended what used to be the highest level.tonynyc has ascended what used to be the highest level.tonynyc has ascended what used to be the highest level.tonynyc has ascended what used to be the highest level.tonynyc has ascended what used to be the highest level.tonynyc has ascended what used to be the highest level.tonynyc has ascended what used to be the highest level.tonynyc has ascended what used to be the highest level.tonynyc has ascended what used to be the highest level.tonynyc has ascended what used to be the highest level.
Default The Granddaddy of all Multivariate Statistical techniques

Factor Analysis
if you consider Statistics .
tonynyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 09:54 PM   #4
mszwebs
For The WIN.

mszwebs keeps pushing the rep limit!mszwebs keeps pushing the rep limit!mszwebs keeps pushing the rep limit!mszwebs keeps pushing the rep limit!mszwebs keeps pushing the rep limit!mszwebs keeps pushing the rep limit!mszwebs keeps pushing the rep limit!mszwebs keeps pushing the rep limit!mszwebs keeps pushing the rep limit!mszwebs keeps pushing the rep limit!mszwebs keeps pushing the rep limit!

In my college town, FA means Finance Association (which is an on campus student organization.)

FFA is Future Farmers of America (Also a group on campus.)

I keep hoping they will do an event together so I can take a pic of the advertising and post it haha.

I'm a dork.
BellaZwebs- EXTRA HOT :batting:;):batting:
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdog
...what I really mean to say is life is heart wrenchingly beautiful, unresolved, and right now...
Quote:
"That's who they're saving the country from. Me. Fat Me. I'm a terrorist and how I terrorize is by sitting next to you on a plane and throwing my flab to your knee, or some such shit"~ Kevin Smith
mszwebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 10:22 PM   #5
stan_der_man
The Teflon Frog

Location: Born in The Mission, raised on Rt. 66, living in the Squirrel Ghetto, SoCal
stan_der_man has ascended what used to be the highest level.stan_der_man has ascended what used to be the highest level.stan_der_man has ascended what used to be the highest level.stan_der_man has ascended what used to be the highest level.stan_der_man has ascended what used to be the highest level.stan_der_man has ascended what used to be the highest level.stan_der_man has ascended what used to be the highest level.stan_der_man has ascended what used to be the highest level.stan_der_man has ascended what used to be the highest level.stan_der_man has ascended what used to be the highest level.stan_der_man has ascended what used to be the highest level.

I've heard "FA" used as an acronym for Financial Aid, Financial Assistance and Fine Arts.

I know this is cheating... "FA" acronyms can be found at - http://www.acronymfinder.com/

"Regardless of who runs the websites and organizations, the cause belongs to all of us.
stan_der_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 10:23 PM   #6
olwen
Disco Bear

olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!

If it's read as a word, then it could mean the fourth note of any scale, as in do re mi FA so la ti do.
olwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 12:52 PM   #7
Melian
Ultimate Chimera

Melian has ascended what used to be the highest level.Melian has ascended what used to be the highest level.Melian has ascended what used to be the highest level.Melian has ascended what used to be the highest level.Melian has ascended what used to be the highest level.Melian has ascended what used to be the highest level.Melian has ascended what used to be the highest level.Melian has ascended what used to be the highest level.Melian has ascended what used to be the highest level.Melian has ascended what used to be the highest level.Melian has ascended what used to be the highest level.

I have been in several heated discussions over who gets to be the FA - the first author of a scientific journal article.
Old 06-29-2009, 08:04 AM   #8
tonynyc
Slow Dance Aficionado

tonynyc has ascended what used to be the highest level.tonynyc has ascended what used to be the highest level.tonynyc has ascended what used to be the highest level.tonynyc has ascended what used to be the highest level.tonynyc has ascended what used to be the highest level.tonynyc has ascended what used to be the highest level.tonynyc has ascended what used to be the highest level.tonynyc has ascended what used to be the highest level.tonynyc has ascended what used to be the highest level.tonynyc has ascended what used to be the highest level.tonynyc has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Speaking of heated discussions Fucking Asshole is a fav curseword for many- but, this is a topic for another discussion.....
tonynyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 08:43 AM   #9
rollhandler

rollhandler never has a post go unnoticedrollhandler never has a post go unnoticedrollhandler never has a post go unnoticedrollhandler never has a post go unnoticedrollhandler never has a post go unnoticedrollhandler never has a post go unnoticedrollhandler never has a post go unnoticedrollhandler never has a post go unnoticed
Default FA trucking

I was passed by a tractor trailer on the highway once that had had a logo on the back and side in 8-10 inch tall letters boldly announcing that the company was called FA..... at a closer look you could see the smaller letters which changed the logo to Farmers Association but only if you looked closely as those letters were only about 2 inches tall...... I wished I had a camera that day.
Rollhandler
rollhandler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 03:46 AM   #10
littlefairywren
Chi Chi

littlefairywren keeps pushing the rep limit!littlefairywren keeps pushing the rep limit!littlefairywren keeps pushing the rep limit!littlefairywren keeps pushing the rep limit!littlefairywren keeps pushing the rep limit!littlefairywren keeps pushing the rep limit!littlefairywren keeps pushing the rep limit!littlefairywren keeps pushing the rep limit!littlefairywren keeps pushing the rep limit!littlefairywren keeps pushing the rep limit!littlefairywren keeps pushing the rep limit!

I got excited the other night when I was looking at some newly submitted objects and patterns for a PC game produced by "our talented FA's". My very first thought was "OMG they have a special section for my fav men". Then I realised they meant Featured Artists. It was such a let down
Old 07-08-2009, 09:00 AM   #11
Littleghost
Oh, Frickenstein.

Littleghost has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Littleghost has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Littleghost has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Littleghost has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Littleghost has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Littleghost has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Littleghost has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Littleghost has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Littleghost has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Littleghost has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Littleghost has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fa_man_stan View Post
I've heard "FA" used as an acronym for Financial Aid, Financial Assistance and Fine Arts.

I know this is cheating... "FA" acronyms can be found at - http://www.acronymfinder.com/
Yeah, I have an associates in FA and I'd go for Masters if it meant different.
The test of a first rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposing ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function. The test of a first rate wallpaper is to wipe clean easily when the previous fails.
Littleghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 10:18 AM   #12
Dr. Feelgood
intellectual nerd

Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.

If it meant different, they'd have given you an honorary doctorate already.
'Bout fo' hundred pound...
-- Dr. Feelgood & the Interns
Dr. Feelgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 06:37 AM   #13
swamptoad
Berry Good!

swamptoad keeps pushing the rep limit!swamptoad keeps pushing the rep limit!swamptoad keeps pushing the rep limit!swamptoad keeps pushing the rep limit!swamptoad keeps pushing the rep limit!swamptoad keeps pushing the rep limit!swamptoad keeps pushing the rep limit!swamptoad keeps pushing the rep limit!swamptoad keeps pushing the rep limit!swamptoad keeps pushing the rep limit!swamptoad keeps pushing the rep limit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by olwen View Post
If it's read as a word, then it could mean the fourth note of any scale, as in do re mi FA so la ti do.

and also going off-topic, "fa" can be used in scrabble (y'know) for those 2 letter word combination with other words.
Old 09-26-2009, 05:46 PM   #14
rollhandler

rollhandler never has a post go unnoticedrollhandler never has a post go unnoticedrollhandler never has a post go unnoticedrollhandler never has a post go unnoticedrollhandler never has a post go unnoticedrollhandler never has a post go unnoticedrollhandler never has a post go unnoticedrollhandler never has a post go unnoticed

I was traveling behind a neon yellow custom built Fire or rescue type truck with
FFA boldly posted across the back today. At a stoplight I was able to make out that it was an acronym for
Ferraro
Fire
Apparatus.

Rollhandler
rollhandler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 10:38 AM   #15
bdog

bdog never has a post go unnoticedbdog never has a post go unnoticedbdog never has a post go unnoticedbdog never has a post go unnoticedbdog never has a post go unnoticedbdog never has a post go unnoticedbdog never has a post go unnoticed

Quote:
Originally Posted by fa_man_stan View Post

Yes, and an MFA is a Master of Fine Arts degree.

But I think we should also apply that acronym to special elite FAs. Conrad is an MFA.

Last edited by bdog; 09-28-2009 at 10:43 AM.
bdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 11:38 AM   #16
LisaInNC

LisaInNC has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!LisaInNC has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!LisaInNC has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!LisaInNC has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!LisaInNC has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!LisaInNC has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!LisaInNC has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!LisaInNC has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!LisaInNC has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!LisaInNC has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!LisaInNC has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Its also used for Fanconi Anemia. I have a friend whose son has it. When she says FA, I get all kinds of confused.

Sometimes, being a bitch is all a woman has to hang on to.
LisaInNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 11:27 PM   #17
Dusselchen

Dusselchen has said some nice things

In Germany, many girls use FA as a short form of "Frauenarzt" what means gynaecologist.
Dusselchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 11:45 PM   #18
LovelyLiz

LovelyLiz keeps pushing the rep limit!LovelyLiz keeps pushing the rep limit!LovelyLiz keeps pushing the rep limit!LovelyLiz keeps pushing the rep limit!LovelyLiz keeps pushing the rep limit!LovelyLiz keeps pushing the rep limit!LovelyLiz keeps pushing the rep limit!LovelyLiz keeps pushing the rep limit!LovelyLiz keeps pushing the rep limit!LovelyLiz keeps pushing the rep limit!LovelyLiz keeps pushing the rep limit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusselchen View Post
In Germany, many girls use FA as a short form of "Frauenarzt" what means gynaecologist.
HA!!! I find this unbelievably apropos and hilarious...
LovelyLiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 12:53 PM   #19
joswitch
Exile from Main Board

joswitch has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!joswitch has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!joswitch has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!joswitch has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!joswitch has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!joswitch has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!joswitch has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!joswitch has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!joswitch has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!joswitch has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!joswitch has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Quote:
Originally Posted by womanforconversation View Post
HA!!! I find this unbelievably apropos and hilarious...
Fuck All.
- As in: "I've earned sweet F.A. today cos all my students bloody cancelled!"

Or how about:
False Alarm?

Or
Futile Arrythmia?
- marching to a different drum... pointlessly... that one fits at the moment! Lol!
Old 10-15-2009, 07:56 AM   #20
fat hiker

fat hiker is a pillar of the Dimensions communityfat hiker is a pillar of the Dimensions communityfat hiker is a pillar of the Dimensions communityfat hiker is a pillar of the Dimensions communityfat hiker is a pillar of the Dimensions communityfat hiker is a pillar of the Dimensions communityfat hiker is a pillar of the Dimensions communityfat hiker is a pillar of the Dimensions communityfat hiker is a pillar of the Dimensions communityfat hiker is a pillar of the Dimensions communityfat hiker is a pillar of the Dimensions community

I'm glad that we've got the FA = Fine Arts thing, but there's even an extension to that - BFA, Bachelor of Fine Arts, which gets referred to by those who have one as "Bachelor of Fuck All"! (I hear this often from my wife who has a BFA, and went back to university for an M.Sc. so she could find a job....)
Old 10-15-2009, 08:54 PM   #21
Inhibited

Inhibited makes people happy simply by logging inInhibited makes people happy simply by logging inInhibited makes people happy simply by logging inInhibited makes people happy simply by logging inInhibited makes people happy simply by logging inInhibited makes people happy simply by logging inInhibited makes people happy simply by logging inInhibited makes people happy simply by logging inInhibited makes people happy simply by logging in

[QUOTE=joswitch;1288080]Fuck All.
- As in: "I've earned sweet F.A. today cos all my students bloody cancelled!"

People say that here too, and thats what i thought you all meant when you would type posts with "FA" in them, they never made sense to me. The i discovered the FAQ link and it all started making sense.
Inhibited is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 08:20 AM   #22
Tad
mostly harmless

Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonah-uk View Post
in the UK it refers to the Football Association. that's the first meaning that would come into most people's minds (and i notice it's the first result back for 'fa' in Google)
I just noticed a headline from the BBC RSS feed: "Manager Ferguson admits FA charge" I assume FA is used here as you suggested.....although it amuses me to think of it with the Dimensions usage