Dimensions Forums  
Home Register Premium Membership Stories Ye Olde Library Health Issues Market Place Big Fashion

Go Back   Dimensions Forums > Discussion > Weight Board

Old 08-10-2009, 12:06 AM   #26
Carl1h
figure O

Carl1h makes people happy simply by logging inCarl1h makes people happy simply by logging inCarl1h makes people happy simply by logging inCarl1h makes people happy simply by logging inCarl1h makes people happy simply by logging inCarl1h makes people happy simply by logging inCarl1h makes people happy simply by logging inCarl1h makes people happy simply by logging in

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnMarie View Post
my side (well, the only side since I'm the only one in it) is supported by a stack of books in the middle - just for extra load bearing.
Heh, one of the corners of my bed is bolstered by a stack of books.
Carl1h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 06:08 PM   #27
Mr. B

Mr. B has said some nice things

A common dilema, I imagine. I just replaced our king size bed we have had for 12 years. It was high quality, but finally done in with it's current load requirements
I looked around quite a bit and found a new bed frame that is solid hard wood with a metal frame attached inside. It sits on four sturdy solid wood posts and locks together tight. I did modify it with a sheet of 3/4 plywood across the slats for the foundation to sit on - it's now solid as a rock. The bigger dilema was a matress that would last more than a year. I decided one of the lower priced firm matress' worked better and only about $600.00 compared to the $2400 I paid for the last big name one that only lasted about 2 years - I could buy 4 of these and still be even...
Anyway, wife weighs about 285 and is gaining - I about 240 and steady -this set up has worked for the last 6 months.
I bought cast iron patio furniture with thick foam cushions for our family room - really oversized, so it's comfortable, but you couldnt bend it if you tried, unlike the hardwood frame sectional and chair that broke. We have a spanish med style house, so it fits our decor - if you don't, might look goofy - but it wont break!
Mr. B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 03:10 AM   #28
Inhibited

Inhibited makes people happy simply by logging inInhibited makes people happy simply by logging inInhibited makes people happy simply by logging inInhibited makes people happy simply by logging inInhibited makes people happy simply by logging inInhibited makes people happy simply by logging inInhibited makes people happy simply by logging inInhibited makes people happy simply by logging inInhibited makes people happy simply by logging in

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smurftums View Post
A suggestion for a mattress. Try a latex rubber mattress rather than a coil spung one. They support very well and are durable. You pay more up front but it is cheaper in the long run. As for a base to put the mattress on, you might have to go the custom made route for strength.
I just bought a Latex bed today was going to get a "tempur" mattress but after doing some research and speaking to sales people i decided on the latex.
The spring mattress i have now has dents in it from my body weight over the years. The latex bed has a 10 year guarantee, so if it ever gets dents in it they will replace it.
Inhibited is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 02:41 PM   #29
bigbri

bigbri can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokesbigbri can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokesbigbri can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokes

Five years ago my s/o and I purchased a king-size Select Comfort with the medium size pillow top. I am 400lbs and she was 290 then but now down to 240 because of diet for diabetes. I like my side at 80-85 while she likes her side at 35-40 (soft). We purchased the matching bed foundation (frame). The air mattresses have survived perfectly and the pillow top is still resilient. We did have to replace the air pump mechanism shortly after the warranty expired on it, but overall we have been extremely satisfied with our purchase. Previously we had a queen size soft sided water bed. We were having difficulty adjusting the fill so that she would not "bottom out" when in bed alone, but I would not cause excessive waves just turning over in the bed. I have also purchased a folding outdoor chair from "Living XL" which I have used for over a year without signs of stress or failure.
bigbri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 09:26 PM   #30
robovski

robovski can now change their title

When I was living in the US, I had a steel frame bed which I had re-inforced with new 1" planks for the cross supports (and I used like twice as many as I was supposed to) and that held the boxframe and the mattress. Since moving to the UK, no one has heard of a boxframe in the first place, and no, steel is generally not used beyond staples in the bed bases here as they are commonly made of wood and cardboard. As such I broke many a bed until I gave up and just went for it on the floor. I had an extra mattress so I piled them and after getting used to getting off the floor and the extra-springiness, it was great. If I needed height, I would advise the cinderblocks. Sit them on an old rug or piece of carpet to protect the floor, another rug, hunk of plywood or piece of carpet on top to protect the mattress (or mattress/boxsping combo if you should so choose). A valise is a good idea here becuase it's an ugly solution, and the valise will help with that by hiding it away.
robovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 03:54 PM   #31
BeautifulPoeticDisaster

BeautifulPoeticDisaster keeps pushing the rep limit!BeautifulPoeticDisaster keeps pushing the rep limit!BeautifulPoeticDisaster keeps pushing the rep limit!BeautifulPoeticDisaster keeps pushing the rep limit!BeautifulPoeticDisaster keeps pushing the rep limit!BeautifulPoeticDisaster keeps pushing the rep limit!BeautifulPoeticDisaster keeps pushing the rep limit!BeautifulPoeticDisaster keeps pushing the rep limit!BeautifulPoeticDisaster keeps pushing the rep limit!BeautifulPoeticDisaster keeps pushing the rep limit!BeautifulPoeticDisaster keeps pushing the rep limit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by robovski View Post
When I was living in the US, I had a steel frame bed which I had re-inforced with new 1" planks for the cross supports (and I used like twice as many as I was supposed to) and that held the boxframe and the mattress. Since moving to the UK, no one has heard of a boxframe in the first place, and no, steel is generally not used beyond staples in the bed bases here as they are commonly made of wood and cardboard. As such I broke many a bed until I gave up and just went for it on the floor. I had an extra mattress so I piled them and after getting used to getting off the floor and the extra-springiness, it was great. If I needed height, I would advise the cinderblocks. Sit them on an old rug or piece of carpet to protect the floor, another rug, hunk of plywood or piece of carpet on top to protect the mattress (or mattress/boxsping combo if you should so choose). A valise is a good idea here becuase it's an ugly solution, and the valise will help with that by hiding it away.
hey hey! In the UK, I have found the sturdiest things to be divan beds. (don't even know if I spelled that right, lol) I do miss the good ole box spring and mattress tho!

We got ours from Dreams....it's an orthopaedic one so the mattress is thick, sturdy and has cushioned springs. It wasn't cheap, but dear god is it comfy! I love my bed
BeautifulPoeticDisaster is offline   Reply With Quote