Dimensions Forums  
Home Register Premium Membership Stories Ye Olde Library Health Issues Market Place Big Fashion

Go Back   Dimensions Forums > Discussion > GLBTQ

Old 10-13-2009, 08:24 PM   #1
VVET

VVET can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokesVVET can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokesVVET can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokes
Default Walk Like a Man

Anybody get pissed when they hear that song?
VVET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 08:27 PM   #2
Teleute
Heh heh. "Member".

Teleute makes people happy simply by logging inTeleute makes people happy simply by logging inTeleute makes people happy simply by logging inTeleute makes people happy simply by logging inTeleute makes people happy simply by logging inTeleute makes people happy simply by logging inTeleute makes people happy simply by logging inTeleute makes people happy simply by logging inTeleute makes people happy simply by logging inTeleute makes people happy simply by logging in

I don't even know what you're talking about >_> Me and my complete lack of touch with popular culture are going to go youtube it really quick. brb.
Teleute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 08:36 PM   #3
VVET

VVET can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokesVVET can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokesVVET can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokes

Sorry it's a rather old song. I know of another who didn't like it either.
Getting a back hand & told 'walk like a man' like, WTF was that for?
Thought it would be appropriate for this board.
VVET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 08:37 PM   #4
Teleute
Heh heh. "Member".

Teleute makes people happy simply by logging inTeleute makes people happy simply by logging inTeleute makes people happy simply by logging inTeleute makes people happy simply by logging inTeleute makes people happy simply by logging inTeleute makes people happy simply by logging inTeleute makes people happy simply by logging inTeleute makes people happy simply by logging inTeleute makes people happy simply by logging inTeleute makes people happy simply by logging in

Ohhh THAT song! I was never even able to understand the words before, haha... I just had this vague idea of the tune of the chorus in my head. I dunno, it doesn't really bother me; the use of "like a man" to mean "strong and confident" kind of annoys me, but given when it was made, it's not terribly surprising - and it's certainly not the worst example of gender stereotyping available. The sentiment behind the song is more "be strong and move on from a toxic relationship instead of letting yourself be strung along and used", and that is a message of which I approve immensely. It's just unfortunate use of terminology.

Edit: wait, what? Backhand? Nobody got slapped in the lyrics I found! O_O
Teleute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 09:02 PM   #5
Jack Skellington
Grim Grinning Ghosts

Jack Skellington keeps pushing the rep limit!Jack Skellington keeps pushing the rep limit!Jack Skellington keeps pushing the rep limit!Jack Skellington keeps pushing the rep limit!Jack Skellington keeps pushing the rep limit!Jack Skellington keeps pushing the rep limit!Jack Skellington keeps pushing the rep limit!Jack Skellington keeps pushing the rep limit!Jack Skellington keeps pushing the rep limit!Jack Skellington keeps pushing the rep limit!Jack Skellington keeps pushing the rep limit!

"Walk like Man" sung in Frankie Valli 's shrill falsetto? I actually find it darkly humorous.

Goblins and ghoulies, from last Halloween, awaken the spirits with your tambourine. Creepies and crawlies, toads in a pond, let there be music from regions beyond.

Wizards and Witches, wherever you dwell, give us a hint by ringing a bell.
Jack Skellington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 06:02 AM   #6
mergirl

mergirl keeps pushing the rep limit!mergirl keeps pushing the rep limit!mergirl keeps pushing the rep limit!mergirl keeps pushing the rep limit!mergirl keeps pushing the rep limit!mergirl keeps pushing the rep limit!mergirl keeps pushing the rep limit!mergirl keeps pushing the rep limit!mergirl keeps pushing the rep limit!mergirl keeps pushing the rep limit!mergirl keeps pushing the rep limit!

Oh how you tried to cut me down to size
Telling dirty lies to my friends
But my own father said give her up don't bother
The world isn't coming to an end

(he said just) Walk like a man
Talk like a man
Walk like a man my son
No woman's worth
Crawling on the earth
Just walk like a man my son

Good-bye baby I dont mean maybe
I'm gonna get along somehow
Soon you'll be cryin on account of all your lyin
Oh yeah just look who's laughing now

(I'm gonna) walk like a man
Fast as I can
Walk like a man from you
I'll tell the world to forget about it girl
And walk like a man from you

Here are the lyrics..
I think they are kinna funny..
i also remember an 80s film called 'walk like a man' ..and i think it was about a guy who turned into a dog. hmm
Old 10-14-2009, 08:50 AM   #7
Tad
mostly harmless

Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.

I've always really disliked any variation on 'be a man.'

Intellectually I dislike the use of a simple category (adult male) to imply a set of attitudes and values. As if an adult male who doesn't follow those attitudes and beliefs could somehow stop being a 'man.' I think using it in that way is very loaded with implied values that I don't like.

But the almost physical reaction I get to it--sometimes that sort of wording will literally give me a shudder of distaste/disgust/distrust -- is obviously deeper than intellectual. I'm not quite sure where it comes from exactly. In general I'd say that a lot of what I aspired to growing up didn't match up well to the John Wayne school of manhood that was still current at the time. (I think that attitudes of what makes a 'man' have evolved somewhat since then, but my impression of how it is currently used still contains a lot that I'm not all that comfortable with.) I don't know more specifically than that why it bugs me so much.

As for the lyrics that Mer posted, eh, nothing wrong with them per se, but I'd still dislike the song for the 'walk like a man' phrasing. I guess 'Walk with your head held high' would have been too many syllables?

Last edited by Tad; 10-14-2009 at 08:50 AM. Reason: missed a letter or two.
Tad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 10:26 AM   #8
Melian
Ultimate Chimera

Melian has ascended what used to be the highest level.Melian has ascended what used to be the highest level.Melian has ascended what used to be the highest level.Melian has ascended what used to be the highest level.Melian has ascended what used to be the highest level.Melian has ascended what used to be the highest level.Melian has ascended what used to be the highest level.Melian has ascended what used to be the highest level.Melian has ascended what used to be the highest level.Melian has ascended what used to be the highest level.Melian has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Heh....I could never make out any of the words, either. The guy just sounds like some squawking bird.

Anyway, the lyrics are pretty stupid, but so are 99% of all song lyrics, IMO. Not really bothered by it.
Old 10-14-2009, 11:10 AM   #9
mergirl

mergirl keeps pushing the rep limit!mergirl keeps pushing the rep limit!mergirl keeps pushing the rep limit!mergirl keeps pushing the rep limit!mergirl keeps pushing the rep limit!mergirl keeps pushing the rep limit!mergirl keeps pushing the rep limit!mergirl keeps pushing the rep limit!mergirl keeps pushing the rep limit!mergirl keeps pushing the rep limit!mergirl keeps pushing the rep limit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tad View Post
I've always really disliked any variation on 'be a man.'
Look Tad, If you are not eating raw meat with a big square jaw while pissing against a wall drunk on home brew thinking about tits.. you are NOT a Reeaal Maaaaahn!!!
nah.. i totally agree with you there..
You are a man if you say you are a man whatever gender stereotypes you subscribe to.
Old 10-14-2009, 11:20 AM   #10
Melian
Ultimate Chimera

Melian has ascended what used to be the highest level.Melian has ascended what used to be the highest level.Melian has ascended what used to be the highest level.Melian has ascended what used to be the highest level.Melian has ascended what used to be the highest level.Melian has ascended what used to be the highest level.Melian has ascended what used to be the highest level.Melian has ascended what used to be the highest level.Melian has ascended what used to be the highest level.Melian has ascended what used to be the highest level.Melian has ascended what used to be the highest level.

A better song about being a man.

Please tell me someone has seen Orgasmo...

"What makes a man? Is it the woman on his arm, just 'cause she has big titties?

Or is it the way he fights everyday? .......no, it's probably the titties."
Old 10-14-2009, 11:23 AM   #11
mergirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melian View Post
A better song about being a man.

Please tell me someone has seen Orgasmo...

"What makes a man? Is it the woman on his arm, just 'cause she has big titties?

Or is it the way he fights everyday? .......no, it's probably the titties."
OMG!! Sadly me and my friends used to quote this! lmao..
now your a moow a moow mow moow!!!
I can still remember the bbw scene (of course) which is possibly not too pc but pretty funny.. "You're going to make me cum or i'm going to kick your ass!!" Hot AND Frightening!! Which is the best combo!

It probably is the titties...!!
Old 10-14-2009, 06:23 PM   #12
succubus_dxb
Badonk. Adonk.

succubus_dxb has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!succubus_dxb has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!succubus_dxb has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!succubus_dxb has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!succubus_dxb has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!succubus_dxb has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!succubus_dxb has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!succubus_dxb has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!succubus_dxb has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!succubus_dxb has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!succubus_dxb has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Oh Mrs Doubtfire

also...hellllllllyes Orgazmo.
Old 10-15-2009, 02:36 AM   #13
mergirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by VVET View Post
Anybody get pissed when they hear that song?
btw. If you were asking me that in Scotish, you would be asking if the song makes me go get drunk!
The answer is yes.
Old 10-31-2009, 06:03 PM   #14
FatAndProud

FatAndProud has ascended what used to be the highest level.FatAndProud has ascended what used to be the highest level.FatAndProud has ascended what used to be the highest level.FatAndProud has ascended what used to be the highest level.FatAndProud has ascended what used to be the highest level.FatAndProud has ascended what used to be the highest level.FatAndProud has ascended what used to be the highest level.FatAndProud has ascended what used to be the highest level.FatAndProud has ascended what used to be the highest level.FatAndProud has ascended what used to be the highest level.FatAndProud has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mergirl View Post
btw. If you were asking me that in Scotish, you would be asking if the song makes me go get drunk!
The answer is yes.
LOL I can't rep youuuuu!!!
FatAndProud is online now   Reply With Quote