Dimensions Forums  
Home Register Premium Membership Health Issues Market Place Big Fashion

Go Back   Dimensions Forums > Discussion > GLBTQ

Old 11-07-2009, 10:42 AM   #51
fatgirl33
Just doodlin'

fatgirl33 is a member of the 500 clubfatgirl33 is a member of the 500 clubfatgirl33 is a member of the 500 clubfatgirl33 is a member of the 500 clubfatgirl33 is a member of the 500 clubfatgirl33 is a member of the 500 club

Quote:
Originally Posted by mergirl View Post
Oh me too! I love that Bawwltimoor twang!! Love it!! I have a signed scratch and sniff card from when the Movie 'polyester' was showing at cinemas-Signed by john waters and i have a photograph of Divine in his leopard print dress and acid burned face from 'Female trouble' signed by him. I am not much for celebrity and am not the kind of person who would collect autographs.. but i love my wee Divine and john waters collection.
I remember seeing Hairspray (the original, of course) when it first came out... it had such a profound effect on me, and I thought RIcki Lake was the hottest fat teenager I'd ever seen!

When seeking out what Divine would be going on to, I remember being just crushed hearing he'd passed away by the time I'd seen him for the first time. I remember John (and others) being interviewed on TV and they all had such wonderful things to say about him...

sigh, sorry, you just got sent me back in time twenty-some years for a second there!
Brenda
fatgirl33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 04:17 AM   #52
Miss Louise

Miss Louise has said some nice things

I am open about my sexuality. Spring 2009 I told my 13 year old son that I am into BDSM and it was such a relief. His reaction was great and now he ask me about things about sexuality he is thinking of. We got a closer relationship after my confession

My dad and my friends also knows that I am into BDSM. My dad thinks I am crazy and don't talt about it. My friends thinks I am strange but most of them like to talk to me about it

Please excuse me my english :blush:
I am danish :happy:
Miss Louise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 01:26 PM   #53
disaster117
Disappear here.

disaster117 carries a lot of weight on this boarddisaster117 carries a lot of weight on this boarddisaster117 carries a lot of weight on this boarddisaster117 carries a lot of weight on this boarddisaster117 carries a lot of weight on this boarddisaster117 carries a lot of weight on this board

Quote:
Originally Posted by krismiss View Post
I came out to my psych prof today.

Well, there's a story, haha. I didn't just walk up to the woman and say, Hi! I'm gay!
no.
We were talking about mental health disorders and she was reading examples of people out loud to the class and you had to decide as a group whether or not you thought there was something wrong with the person (the point of the exercise was actually to prove that it's difficult to diagnose people)... So she reads this example, and she says "Jim is gay, he... blah blahb lah" (Jim is otherwise normal) and the prof. says "Does Jim have a disorder?" and this girl kinda cocks her head and says "Well, he's gay" and the teacher looks at her funny and says "Ah, yes, but homosexuality is no longer considered a mental illness" and the girl says "Why not?"

The prof paused, looked at her and said "Because it's not" and this girl has the audacity to mumble under her breath "well it's gross" and the teacher stopped again and said, "Well, your opinion doesn't make something classified as a disorder" and moved on.
I smiled.

Afterward, I went up to the prof, after everyone else was out of the room and asked her a question about the research paper, and then afterward, I thanked her for reacting how she did to the girl. I told her that I was queer, but no one at school knew, because I know (my town) and that it's never been acceptable, and I didn't want to deal with it for the short time i'm spending at MCCC. She said she understood completely, and here I find out she's the advisor for MCCC's GSA. Who'dathunk? So, I'm going on wednesday to check it out, because she says they're always looking for people. What an interesting day.
Wow, some people. It's people like your professor that make up for other people's close-mindedness, which is getting a little old, in my opinion.

That actually reminds me of something unrelated to coming out or anything, but something that's related to annoying people in Psychology classes! I was in my Psych class in a lecture, during the unit about motivation and emotion, and my professor was on the subject of homosexuality. He asked us if a person is raised with a homosexual parent are they more likely to be homosexual themselves? This one girl in the front of the room was like, "YES", and it bothered me so much. He then shook his head and said "No. It's not more likely, actually" and she argued with him for a little bit and he eventually said something along the lines of what your professor said about how her opinion didn't make something correct. I loved my professor after that.

Might as well contribute to this thread now, lol. I'm out to anyone who means anything to me, with the exception of a few family members. I'm not really interested in telling all of my family, because I feel like it wouldn't matter to them. None of them are anti-gay (I like the whole idea of maybe if everyone knew that they knew someone who was gay they wouldn't be so hateful) so there's no reason to challenge that belief or anything. I feel like they would accept me no matter what because they love me for who I am. That's why I love my family. I'm planning on telling my aunt Andi soon though.
Old 11-08-2009, 06:18 PM   #54
Cors
Delurking

Cors keeps pushing the rep limit!Cors keeps pushing the rep limit!Cors keeps pushing the rep limit!Cors keeps pushing the rep limit!Cors keeps pushing the rep limit!Cors keeps pushing the rep limit!Cors keeps pushing the rep limit!Cors keeps pushing the rep limit!Cors keeps pushing the rep limit!Cors keeps pushing the rep limit!Cors keeps pushing the rep limit!

Thank you BBSSBBW, Tad, Goofy, OWA, Mer and Tooz for sharing. Good points about assumptions

What bothers me the most is how some people act like we are entitled to educate them just because we are different. The term self-narrating zoo exhibit comes to mind. I am usually more than happy to oblige, but not when they are disrespectful and/or if they clearly have other agendas (excited straight boy asking for details about lesbian sex, skeptic asking leading questions about say, broken families).

I also hate it when people attempt to discredit my arguments after I come out to them. "Oh, we should have known, why else will this straight-acting, straight-looking girl even be interested in GLBTQ rights?" People often ask me if I will still hold the same beliefs if not for my sexuality, but most of them refuse to take me seriously when I say yes.

Sometimes I almost wish I am not out in school for that reason, especially to some of my more conservative coursemates since some of them now automatically jump on me during certain debates (eg. the Gender Recognition Act or the idea of alternative families). My tutors are open-minded and understanding when I speak to them in private, but they are usually neutral during those discussions.

Good on you for coming out, Krissy. I hope the meeting goes well!
Cors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 06:19 PM   #55
Cors
Delurking

Cors keeps pushing the rep limit!Cors keeps pushing the rep limit!Cors keeps pushing the rep limit!Cors keeps pushing the rep limit!Cors keeps pushing the rep limit!Cors keeps pushing the rep limit!Cors keeps pushing the rep limit!Cors keeps pushing the rep limit!Cors keeps pushing the rep limit!Cors keeps pushing the rep limit!Cors keeps pushing the rep limit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Louise View Post
I am open about my sexuality. Spring 2009 I told my 13 year old son that I am into BDSM and it was such a relief. His reaction was great and now he ask me about things about sexuality he is thinking of. We got a closer relationship after my confession

My dad and my friends also knows that I am into BDSM. My dad thinks I am crazy and don't talt about it. My friends thinks I am strange but most of them like to talk to me about it
MissLouise, velkommen til LGBT-boardet og bare rolig dit engelsk er godt nok.

It is awesome that you are so open about BDSM and that it actually improved your relationship with your son. I know many people who are open about being gay, but not at all about BDSM because it is more taboo or simply more personal. If you don't mind me asking, is it something (be it a 24/7 lifestyle, regularly dressing up for parties, toys or even a mini-dungeon in the house) where your son will actually figure out that you are into it anyway?

I don't know if I will actually want to talk about intimate details with my parents, but I grew up in an extremely conservative, traditional Asian Christian family with minimal affection, approval and openness. My partner is Danish (from Fyn) and his mother is so, so liberal and open. Most Scandinavians I know are. *wistful sigh*
Old 11-09-2009, 04:49 AM   #56
mergirl

mergirl keeps pushing the rep limit!mergirl keeps pushing the rep limit!mergirl keeps pushing the rep limit!mergirl keeps pushing the rep limit!mergirl keeps pushing the rep limit!mergirl keeps pushing the rep limit!mergirl keeps pushing the rep limit!mergirl keeps pushing the rep limit!mergirl keeps pushing the rep limit!mergirl keeps pushing the rep limit!mergirl keeps pushing the rep limit!

Good luck and well done everyone who has and is coming out right now!! Keep us all updated on how your outings go!!
Old 11-09-2009, 11:25 AM   #57
Miss Louise

Miss Louise has said some nice things

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cors View Post
MissLouise, velkommen til LGBT-boardet og bare rolig dit engelsk er godt nok.

It is awesome that you are so open about BDSM and that it actually improved your relationship with your son. I know many people who are open about being gay, but not at all about BDSM because it is more taboo or simply more personal. If you don't mind me asking, is it something (be it a 24/7 lifestyle, regularly dressing up for parties, toys or even a mini-dungeon in the house) where your son will actually figure out that you are into it anyway?

I don't know if I will actually want to talk about intimate details with my parents, but I grew up in an extremely conservative, traditional Asian Christian family with minimal affection, approval and openness. My partner is Danish (from Fyn) and his mother is so, so liberal and open. Most Scandinavians I know are. *wistful sigh*
Thanks a lot for your kind words

Just feel free to ask

I have been thinking a lot today and I am sure that I could have continued hiding from my son that I am into BDSM. I got a lot of toys and BDSM gear in the house but I have could hide it for so many years so I am sure I could have kept it a secret from him. My son lives at his dads place and is here in weekends, holidays and sometimes an ordinary day so I have just planned it so I could play the days and nights he isn't here.

Yes, it's so great that it improved our relationship. Some weeks after my confession he said to me that he was so proud that I trusted him to be mature enough to know my secret

Actually it has opened an oppurtunity that I hadn't been thinking of - now I can make my own mini-dungeon in the house. I am planning to make it this winter and I really look forward to use it

Here in Denmark I don't think BDSM is a taboo anymore. Now and then I feel that BDSM has become modern here - everybody seems to try one or another form for BDSM.

I think we have a much bigger problem by accepting each other if we are just a bit different from "normal". I have a transsexual (I am not sure of the word in english, but it is a man living 24/7 like a woman but not operated) slave and people really stare in the supermarket and so on. It's the same for everbody who does look just a bit different

But maybe you are right and we are more liberal and openminded here than other places. I am happy here but I can still see some things we could do better

Please excuse me my english :blush:
I am danish :happy:
Miss Louise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 08:22 PM   #58
strangeangel
Lady Strange

strangeangel can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokesstrangeangel can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cors View Post
so liberal and open. Most Scandinavians I know are. *wistful sigh*
Yes!! they definitely are!!! *moves to Norway*
Old 11-09-2009, 08:51 PM   #59
Weeze
Justin Bieber of Dims

Weeze has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Weeze has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Weeze has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Weeze has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Weeze has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Weeze has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Weeze has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Weeze has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Weeze has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Weeze has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Weeze has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

I've always wanted to go to Sweden
Old 11-29-2009, 01:42 PM   #60
max_bialystock

max_bialystock can now change their title
Default I Make No Secret of the Fact That I'm

a Male to Female transsexual.
At 54, I figure, this is it.
Take me or leave me.
max_bialystock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 06:31 PM   #61
Cors
Delurking

Welcome max_bialystock!
Old 11-29-2009, 11:51 PM   #62
Mgirl

Mgirl can now change their title

I'm out in all areas of my life. I feel fortunate that I live in San Francisco which is quite accepting. I was still out when I lived in the south, however, it was more exhausting to explain / justify my "queerness" versus living in the Bay area where it just is, and no one really cares one way or another.

I think the best part of my city is the feeling of normalcy. Not the "oh good for you", or "I love gay people." But the sense of live and let live.

BTW I love that a lot of you are John Waters fans. I saw him at my work the other day and geeked out - so embarrassing. Most famous peeps I could care less, but Waters and local chefs turn me into a giant boob.
Mgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 04:39 AM   #63
mergirl

mergirl keeps pushing the rep limit!mergirl keeps pushing the rep limit!mergirl keeps pushing the rep limit!mergirl keeps pushing the rep limit!mergirl keeps pushing the rep limit!mergirl keeps pushing the rep limit!mergirl keeps pushing the rep limit!mergirl keeps pushing the rep limit!mergirl keeps pushing the rep limit!mergirl keeps pushing the rep limit!mergirl keeps pushing the rep limit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgirl View Post
I'm out in all areas of my life. I feel fortunate that I live in San Francisco which is quite accepting. I was still out when I lived in the south, however, it was more exhausting to explain / justify my "queerness" versus living in the Bay area where it just is, and no one really cares one way or another.

I think the best part of my city is the feeling of normalcy. Not the "oh good for you", or "I love gay people." But the sense of live and let live.

BTW I love that a lot of you are John Waters fans. I saw him at my work the other day and geeked out - so embarrassing. Most famous peeps I could care less, but Waters and local chefs turn me into a giant boob.
Can't believe you met john waters! I would love to meet him, though i am thinking i would just act like a tit and re-live my cringy moment forever, so maby its best not to ever meet him!!
Old 12-01-2009, 09:03 AM   #64
Mgirl

Mgirl can now change their title

Quote:
Originally Posted by mergirl View Post
Can't believe you met john waters! I would love to meet him, though i am thinking i would just act like a tit and re-live my cringy moment forever, so maby its best not to ever meet him!!
LOL, yeah. I had to refrain from saying:

"OMG,YOUAREBRILLIANTANDI'VESEENEVERYTHINGYOU'VEEVE RMADEICAN'TBELIEVEYOUAREREALYHERE!"

So I probably had a perpetual geeked-out smile of my face instead.
Mgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 09:26 PM   #65
KatsPyjamas
well gosh

KatsPyjamas can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokesKatsPyjamas can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokes

Haha I'm not very out because I'm not sure how I would describe myself anyway. It seems pointless to announce my sexuality unless it comes up, and if asked or provoked I will tell people I don't only like cis-men, even though that's all they see me with.

I think my parents would not give a damn and we do not talk about dating much anyway. It's just never come up though.

As for cross-dressing, I agree with Bexy that there are some rubbish stereotypes (aren't there for everything eh) and outspoken idiots tarnish all groups. Calling their partners bitches for not liking it is pretty unnecessary. I wanted to know more about what you think of somebody hiding it from a partner though, say if they have never dared experiment with it before. I know people can hide things from themselves pretty well. I agree that lying about it is shit, and hiding it on purpose right from the start is not on if it is so important to you. I assume it was a rant at the total dickbags who construct huge webs of deciept and are disrespectful to their partners, but are there a significant number of people who hide it because they haven't come to terms with it themselves and are quite clueless how to broach it? (That's not a rhetorical question, I dooon't knoooow)

Last edited by KatsPyjamas; 12-06-2009 at 09:28 PM. Reason: typos
KatsPyjamas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 10:04 PM   #66
slurpeekell12

slurpeekell12 can now change their title

Totally out to everyone, seems like most people have my on their gaydar before I have to say anything. I love to sport the rainbow attire too, just love lots of color honestly But I'm not afraid to say it to anyone either, nothing to be ashamed of, if they have a problem it's just that THEIR problem
slurpeekell12 is offline   Reply With Quote