Dimensions Forums  
Home Register Premium Membership Health Issues Market Place Big Fashion

Go Back   Dimensions Forums > Discussion > GLBTQ

Old 01-25-2010, 10:52 AM   #1
Mycroft

Mycroft can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokesMycroft can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokesMycroft can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokes
Default Massachusetts height & weight anti-discrimination bill

Hi!

Where else at Dims should I post about this?

This is what I posted to my blog and Facebook (where it's hypertexted --
http://masadarts.blogspot.com/2010/0...ht-anti.html):

Happy 2010!!

Do you, like me, want to end discrimination based on height and weight?

Here in Massachusetts, a height and weight anti-discrimination bill is being reintroduced in the legislature! An Act Making Discrimination On The Basis Of Weight And Height Unlawful -- House Bill 1850. This bill would amend current state laws prohibiting discrimination in the areas of employment, housing, and public accommodations on the basis of race, color, religious creed, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, or ancestry -- by adding height and weight to the list of unlawful forms of discrimination.

The bill is having a public hearing before the Joint Committee on Labor and Workforce Development THIS COMING Wednesday, January 27th:

Wednesday, January 27th, 2010
10:30 a.m.
Hearing Room A-2
Massachusetts State House
Beacon Street ~ Boston
(MBTA - Park Street / Downtown Crossing)

This civil rights bill is being reintroduced by Representative Byron Rushing -- one of the primary sponsors of An Act Relative To Gender-Based Discrimination And Hate Crimes (HB 1728 / SB 1687), which would add “gender identity or expression” to our laws and finally give civil rights to transgender and all citizens. Rushing is a longtime and wonderful social justice leader.

How you can help:

1) Attend the hearing

2) Testify at the hearing

3) Whether or not you attend or testify, submit your supportive testimony as a letter to:

a) Representative Cheryl Coakley-Rivera
House Chair, Joint Committee on Labor and Workforce Development
State House -- Room 39
Boston, MA 02133

b) Senator Thomas McGee
Senate Chair, Joint Committee on Labor and Workforce Development
State House -- Room 112
Boston, MA 02133

c) Rep. Rushing's Legislative Aide, Tracy Choi: Tracy.Choi@state.ma.us – she is also the contact for more information, by email or phone – 617.722.2006

4) If you are a constituent of a committee member, call or email them -- tell them you support this bill and ask them to support it: http://www.mass.gov/legis/comm/j43.htm

5) If you are a constituent of a sponsor of the bill, call or email them – thank them for sponsoring the bill: http://www.mass.gov/legis/bills/hous...df/ht01850.pdf

6) Ask others to do all of the above – feel free to use this message

Thanks to Marilyn Wann, my partner Julia McCrossin, and the Boston Fat Queer History Project
for their help!

Shabbat shalom,
Mycroft

Mycroft Masada Holmes
Co-Chair, Interfaith Coalition for Transgender Equality (ICTE)
Acting Chair, Training Working Group, Massachusetts Transgender Political Coalition (MTPC)
Emeritus Founding Chair, Transgender Working Group (TWiG), Keshet
http://www.facebook.com/Mycroft.Masada
Mycroft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 05:07 PM   #2
butch
cuddly, hairy, and fat

butch has ascended what used to be the highest level.butch has ascended what used to be the highest level.butch has ascended what used to be the highest level.butch has ascended what used to be the highest level.butch has ascended what used to be the highest level.butch has ascended what used to be the highest level.butch has ascended what used to be the highest level.butch has ascended what used to be the highest level.butch has ascended what used to be the highest level.butch has ascended what used to be the highest level.butch has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Thank you for posting this here, Mycroft. Why didn't I think of this (d'oh!)?

Old 01-25-2010, 05:19 PM   #3
Mycroft

Mycroft can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokesMycroft can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokesMycroft can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokes

Quote:
Originally Posted by butch View Post
Thank you for posting this here, Mycroft. Why didn't I think of this (d'oh!)?

For very good reasons, oh fearless yet also very busy and germy leader. You would have thought of it soon. You're welcome, and thank you for helping me with it all!

: - ) Mycroft
Mycroft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 05:21 PM   #4
butch
cuddly, hairy, and fat

butch has ascended what used to be the highest level.butch has ascended what used to be the highest level.butch has ascended what used to be the highest level.butch has ascended what used to be the highest level.butch has ascended what used to be the highest level.butch has ascended what used to be the highest level.butch has ascended what used to be the highest level.butch has ascended what used to be the highest level.butch has ascended what used to be the highest level.butch has ascended what used to be the highest level.butch has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mycroft View Post
For very good reasons, oh fearless yet also very busy and germy leader. You would have thought of it soon. You're welcome, and thank you for helping me with it all!

: - ) Mycroft
In response to your earlier query, you might want to post this on the main board, dear.

PS-I'm not as busy as I should be right now, alas.

Thanks!
Old 01-26-2010, 11:13 AM   #5
LillyBBBW
Wig Snatcher

LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Just so you know, I forwarded the following letter to my local reps:

Quote:
http://jezebel.com/5456561/weigh-les...t-based-on-bmi

Dear [REPRESENTATIVE],

I support the height/weight anti-discrimination bill H.1850. In recent days there has been much buzz about a new employee policy at Whole Foods Market. This policy would offer higher discounts to thinner employees while heavier ones would receive the regular 20% discount. Because this policy uses the Body Mass Index (BMI) it is blatantly discriminatory towards certain ethnic groups and older individuals. I strongly urge you to support this much-needed civil rights protection. It will protect Massachusetts residents from discriminatory practices that are rooted in remedial broad-brush understandings of overall health and individual competence.

Thank you,

[NAME]
[ADDRESS]
It was a rush job but since the hearing is tomorrow I figured I better get my $0.02 in. We'll see if it helps.

"...If the only pain you recognize as valid is your own, of course you'll have trouble identifying it when you see it in other people. That's the trouble with narcissism. It makes you really inadequate and boring."

Have you hugged a fat girl today?

@~;~~

Last edited by LillyBBBW; 01-26-2010 at 11:19 AM.
LillyBBBW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 06:46 PM   #6
butch
cuddly, hairy, and fat

Great, Lilly! That is an effective letter, and will help tremendously.