Dimensions Forums  
Home Register Premium Membership Stories Ye Olde Library Health Issues Market Place Big Fashion

Go Back   Dimensions Forums > Discussion > The Foodee Board

Old 03-02-2010, 04:49 PM   #1
SoVerySoft
No fat no flavor

SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.
Default "Cosmo-tashen" A new twist on Hamentashen for Purim

What are hamentashen, you ask? Hamentashen are traditional Jewish triangle-shaped cookies that symbolize the three-cornered hat of Haman (the evil villain in the story of Purim.) They are usually filled with apricot, prune, raspberry or poppy seed. Depending on the quality of the pastry/cookie part, they can be really delicious or dry and boring.

This is a variation that mimics the drink, the Cosmopolitan. An old high school friend posted this on Facebook and it looked soooo good that I snagged it and am sharing it here. It is his sister's recipe, as far as I know. (Where she got it, I don't know.)

I haven't tried them yet...but I want to!

Cosmo-tashen

DOUGH:
2 eggs
2 sticks butter
4 oz. orange juice
5 c. flour
1 c. sugar
2 tsp vanilla
2 tsp baking powder
dash of salt
filling (see below)

Mix eggs, baking powder, sugar, salt and butter in bowl. Add juice, vanilla and flour and mix till it becomes a dough. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours before using.

Roll out dough to about 1/4 inch thick. Cut rounds with 2 inch glass. Place one teaspoon filling (rounded) in center. Fold into triangle and pinch corners.

Bake 350 degrees on greased sheet for 20 minutes till golden brown.

FILLING:
2 bags dried cranberries
1/2 c. triple sec
juice and zest of one lime

Cook over low heat till berries are soft and liquid is absorbed. My friend tweaked it with a little more triple sec and some orange juice as it seemed to dry out before he thought the berries were soft enough. (He also added Vodka). Then process in food processor to combine. Should be the consistency of thick applesauce.

"Well," said Pooh, "what I like best --" and then he had to stop and think. Because although Eating Honey was a very good thing to do, there was a moment just before you began to eat it which was better than when you were, but he didn't know what it was called. - A.A. Milne
SoVerySoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 09:02 PM   #2
PamelaLois
ILL-INI

PamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions community

Nom! Those look delicious.
Old 03-03-2010, 03:38 PM   #3
D_A_Bunny
www.peaceoneday.org

D_A_Bunny keeps pushing the rep limit!D_A_Bunny keeps pushing the rep limit!D_A_Bunny keeps pushing the rep limit!D_A_Bunny keeps pushing the rep limit!D_A_Bunny keeps pushing the rep limit!D_A_Bunny keeps pushing the rep limit!D_A_Bunny keeps pushing the rep limit!D_A_Bunny keeps pushing the rep limit!D_A_Bunny keeps pushing the rep limit!D_A_Bunny keeps pushing the rep limit!D_A_Bunny keeps pushing the rep limit!

Those look scrumptious. I actually have Triple Sec in my house. I might need to try and make these. And Randi, you are so right about them either being really good or just blah! We used to pick some up each year at the Shoprite in Edison. Larry really likes them.
D_A_Bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 04:20 PM   #4
SoVerySoft
No fat no flavor

SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D_A_Bunny View Post
Those look scrumptious. I actually have Triple Sec in my house. I might need to try and make these. And Randi, you are so right about them either being really good or just blah! We used to pick some up each year at the Shoprite in Edison. Larry really likes them.
Would love to know how they are. I suppose I could make them. LOL. But if you do, please let me know! I also wonder if they'd be better with fresh cranberries and not the craisins. Would require some experimentation tho.

And I miss that Shop Rite When Wegman's opened it closed. Then it became a Pathmark, which closed. Now it is vacant!

There was a bakery in Bayonne that made them sooooooo well. The cookie part was like...well...cookie! Buttery, crispy, good. And they are gone now too. What is the world coming to??

And I want to say again, I wish I'd gotten to hang out with you guys when you still lived here. I really regret that I didn't.
"Well," said Pooh, "what I like best --" and then he had to stop and think. Because although Eating Honey was a very good thing to do, there was a moment just before you began to eat it which was better than when you were, but he didn't know what it was called. - A.A. Milne
SoVerySoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 06:36 PM   #5
Dr. Feelgood
intellectual nerd

Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoVerySoft View Post
Would love to know how they are. I suppose I could make them. LOL. But if you do, please let me know! I also wonder if they'd be better with fresh cranberries and not the craisins. Would require some experimentation tho.
You never know for sure unless you actually do the experiment, as Dr. Jekyll used to say. But on general principles, I suspect the craisins would be better. If craisins are dried cranberries, then cranberries are diluted craisins and would therefore have less sweetness and intensity of flavor. OTOH, if you make it with the craisins and the cranberry flavor's too strong...
'Bout fo' hundred pound...
-- Dr. Feelgood & the Interns
Dr. Feelgood is offline   Reply With Quote