Dimensions Forums  
Home Register Premium Membership Health Issues Market Place Big Fashion

Go Back   Dimensions Forums > Discussion > BBW Forum

Old 03-02-2010, 05:45 PM   #26
Shosh
Susannah

Shosh has ascended what used to be the highest level.Shosh has ascended what used to be the highest level.Shosh has ascended what used to be the highest level.Shosh has ascended what used to be the highest level.Shosh has ascended what used to be the highest level.Shosh has ascended what used to be the highest level.Shosh has ascended what used to be the highest level.Shosh has ascended what used to be the highest level.Shosh has ascended what used to be the highest level.Shosh has ascended what used to be the highest level.Shosh has ascended what used to be the highest level.

I have you on my list in your thread Greenie.
Shosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 05:47 PM   #27
Green Eyed Fairy
Flash Dancing

Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shosh View Post
I have you on my list in your thread Greenie.

Awww thank you Shosh
You're a sweetie.....and your pretty dog, too!

"The longing of my heart is a fairy portrait of myself: I want to be pretty; I want to eliminate facts and fill up the gap with charms."

"See these eyes so green, I can stare for a thousand years, Colder than the moon
It's been so long and I've been putting out fire with gasoline"
Green Eyed Fairy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 07:38 PM   #28
CrankySpice
Unwashed.

CrankySpice has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!CrankySpice has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!CrankySpice has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!CrankySpice has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!CrankySpice has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!CrankySpice has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!CrankySpice has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!CrankySpice has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!CrankySpice has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!CrankySpice has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!CrankySpice has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Actually, I think I could pretty much start this with any mention of "issues" and end it with "since I know you all are very sensitive about that kind of thing...well, except when you do it, in which case it's fine." So rather than say it each and every time, I'll just recommend anyone reading this thread to automatically add it to the end of any kind of statement about behavior/attitude/postings/etc. It'll save me oodles of typing time, so thank you in advance.

I'm really surprised that a single line comment was able to affect your mood/self-esteem regarding an entire thread. I really didn't think you all were so...delicate. Sensitive, yes, I know, LORDY, do I know - but delicate was not an attribute I'd have assigned to any of you particularly.

I'm also surprised that you all put so much support behind a popularity contest thread because, in the past, I know that's been a very sore issue, something I know you all are very sensit...see above.

Also, way to take an opportunity to air your issues, as generously asked to do by the mods of this board, and shit on it from the get-go. Nice. Are you really surprised there's never a satisfactory resolution with that kind of nit-picky, anger-laden response to an offer to discuss an issue instead of sweeping under the rug? Damned if they do, damned if they don't. Goodness, the life of a mod is not easy. Why, I wouldn't be surprised if they started stealth......nevermind. Don't need that can of worms.

Last edited by Tina; 03-07-2010 at 12:19 AM.
CrankySpice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 09:51 PM   #29
Buffie
KittyBuffieKat

Location: Kansas City, MO (Most of KC is in Missouri and not Kansas, just FYI.)
Buffie keeps pushing the rep limit!Buffie keeps pushing the rep limit!Buffie keeps pushing the rep limit!Buffie keeps pushing the rep limit!Buffie keeps pushing the rep limit!Buffie keeps pushing the rep limit!Buffie keeps pushing the rep limit!Buffie keeps pushing the rep limit!Buffie keeps pushing the rep limit!Buffie keeps pushing the rep limit!Buffie keeps pushing the rep limit!

I think I might be living in rainbow cupcake fantasy land.

Seems like a lot of the things that most people find offensive fly right over my head until someone points out that they were offended or hurt, whether offense was the intention or not.

I think misunderstanding and some different perspectives are at work here and there was never any malice intended. True, that's just an opinion but I totally believe it's the reality of the situation... that nothing hurtful was intended at all.

Isn't objectification ultimately in the eye of the potentially objectified person? Maybe there are general aspects of it the majority of us agree on but I doubt any two of us will have the exact same definition of what it means to be objectified. Just like a lot of us obviously have different levels of sensitivity and different points of view on what is appropriate or funny. Great minds don't necessarily think alike after all...

Hear the Twitter Patter of Little Tweets.
http://bit.ly/BuffieTweets
Buffie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 11:30 PM   #30
Sandie_Zitkus
Entrepreneur

Sandie_Zitkus keeps pushing the rep limit!Sandie_Zitkus keeps pushing the rep limit!Sandie_Zitkus keeps pushing the rep limit!Sandie_Zitkus keeps pushing the rep limit!Sandie_Zitkus keeps pushing the rep limit!Sandie_Zitkus keeps pushing the rep limit!Sandie_Zitkus keeps pushing the rep limit!Sandie_Zitkus keeps pushing the rep limit!Sandie_Zitkus keeps pushing the rep limit!Sandie_Zitkus keeps pushing the rep limit!Sandie_Zitkus keeps pushing the rep limit!

Buffie is one smart cookie.

And an awesome set tits! And you know I mean that with love and envy.
Sandie_Zitkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 07:37 AM   #31
TraciJo67
On Timeout

TraciJo67 has ascended what used to be the highest level.TraciJo67 has ascended what used to be the highest level.TraciJo67 has ascended what used to be the highest level.TraciJo67 has ascended what used to be the highest level.TraciJo67 has ascended what used to be the highest level.TraciJo67 has ascended what used to be the highest level.TraciJo67 has ascended what used to be the highest level.TraciJo67 has ascended what used to be the highest level.TraciJo67 has ascended what used to be the highest level.TraciJo67 has ascended what used to be the highest level.TraciJo67 has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrankySpice View Post
Actually, I think I could pretty much start this with any mention of "issues" and end it with "since I know you all are very sensitive about that kind of thing...well, except when you do it, in which case it's fine." So rather than say it each and every time, I'll just recommend anyone reading this thread to automatically add it to the end of any kind of statement about behavior/attitude/postings/etc. It'll save me oodles of typing time, so thank you in advance.

I'm really surprised that a single line comment was able to affect your mood/self-esteem regarding an entire thread. I really didn't think you all were so...delicate. Sensitive, yes, I know, LORDY, do I know - but delicate was not an attribute I'd have assigned to any of you particularly.

I'm also surprised that you all put so much support behind a popularity contest thread because, in the past, I know that's been a very sore issue, something I know you all are very sensit...see above.

Also, way to take an opportunity to air your issues, as generously asked to do by the mods of this board, and shit on it from the get-go. Nice. Are you really surprised there's never a satisfactory resolution with that kind of nit-picky, anger-laden response to an offer to discuss an issue instead of sweeping under the rug? Damned if they do, damned if they don't. Goodness, the life of a mod is not easy. Why, I wouldn't be surprised if they started stealth......nevermind. Don't need that can of worms.
Originally Posted by TraciJo67
And my take on it was that it was a cleverly double-edged taunt -- as in, anyone who doesn't see the "humor" in it must therefore lack a sense of humor

Well, I called that one.

My mood is fine, if a little tired. My self-esteem is largely intact, but thanks for the concern.

Now, if you’ll read what I actually said, you’ll note that I didn’t attack you, your character, or your motives. I was very careful, in fact, to say only how I felt after reading it, as well as how I perceived it – perception being, as we all know, a rather subjective thing. I don’t know what motivated you to post what you did, I only know that reading it on the BBW Forum felt uncomfortable.

I didn’t see GEF’s thread as a popularity contest, although I’ve never actually *had* any quibbles with them, either. I avoid them, because they really aren’t my thing. But this thread wasn’t about who is the most popular. We have a REP system for that, right? And by that measure, I’m very popular indeed. Speaking of REP, I have to wonder why so many of those occupying the upper echelon are so strangely silent nowadays. At some point, a lot of people seemed to think that they had some very interesting things to say. When did that change? I’d guess that some just grew weary of hearing the “don’t like it, leave” mantra. Such a buttery phrase that can so readily be spread over any and all manner of objection, and when lathered thickly enough, sufficiently covers what lies beneath.

Oh, well. CrankySpice, I’m sure that you’d make a fine addition to the Dims moderating team. And by this time next year, I wouldn’t be at all surprised to see your name occupying the top spot in Ye Olde Dims pecking order.

Last edited by Tina; 03-07-2010 at 12:20 AM.
TraciJo67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 08:21 AM   #32
LillyBBBW
Wig Snatcher

LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:

I simply hate hate hate hate threads like those and see them as being just as bad as the ones that ask for the best tits and ass. They ALL fucking suck for the same reason. I broke my own rule by going over and looking at it simply to see what you and AM wrote that was so demoralizing to people. In the process I noticed that I was mentioned a few times and I'm truly truly grateful and thankful to the people who took the time to do so. Though I deeply appreciate those gestures, I still feel that overall threads like that are destructive for the same reason the 'cutest belly' ones are. Anyone who didn't make either of those lists will clearly have to wait for the 'most unremarkable person' thread to be appreciated. If the T&A threads are objectifying then the others are just as much in my opinion, and for the same reasons. Honestly those threads really make me sad when I imagine all the people who weren't mentioned there and probably should have been. That would likely include everyone for one attribute or another. I just find the whole thing bothersome and it does promote an upper class like atmosphere no matter how much we insist on denying it.

But I'm very sensitive about that kind of thing as you know.

"...If the only pain you recognize as valid is your own, of course you'll have trouble identifying it when you see it in other people. That's the trouble with narcissism. It makes you really inadequate and boring."

Have you hugged a fat girl today?

@~;~~

LillyBBBW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 09:28 AM   #33
CrankySpice
Unwashed.

CrankySpice has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!CrankySpice has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!CrankySpice has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!CrankySpice has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!CrankySpice has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!CrankySpice has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!CrankySpice has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!CrankySpice has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!CrankySpice has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!CrankySpice has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!CrankySpice has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TraciJo67 View Post
[B][I][COLOR=black]

Oh, well. CrankySpice, I’m sure that you’d make a fine addition to the Dims moderating team.
Believe me, I have absolutely zero interest in being a moderator. I don't think I'd be one even if it *was* a paid position, and money is tight in this household. As much as I enjoy opening threads that I know will only making my eyeballs pop and my head spin, at least I have the luxury of making that choice.

Old 03-03-2010, 09:31 AM   #34
CrankySpice
Unwashed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LillyBBBW View Post
I simply hate hate hate hate threads like those and see them as being just as bad as the ones that ask for the best tits and ass. They ALL fucking suck for the same reason. I broke my own rule by going over and looking at it simply to see what you and AM wrote that was so demoralizing to people. In the process I noticed that I was mentioned a few times and I'm truly truly grateful and thankful to the people who took the time to do so. Though I deeply appreciate those gestures, I still feel that overall threads like that are destructive for the same reason the 'cutest belly' ones are. Anyone who didn't make either of those lists will clearly have to wait for the 'most unremarkable person' thread to be appreciated. If the T&A threads are objectifying then the others are just as much in my opinion, and for the same reasons. Honestly those threads really make me sad when I imagine all the people who weren't mentioned there and probably should have been. That would likely include everyone for one attribute or another. I just find the whole thing bothersome and it does promote an upper class like atmosphere no matter how much we insist on denying it.

I completely agree on your overall assessment and your last line made me LOL. Fer reals!
Old 03-03-2010, 12:20 PM   #35
Miss Vickie

Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Well no wonder you're surprised, because the truth is... it didn't. (See, I was surprised too, to know that you know my thoughts and feelings apparently far better than I know my own). But in case you're interested in the truth, I'm far too busy with my nursing work, graduate school and my children to have my mood or self esteem affected by what goes on here. I wonder why you would think otherwise? What was it in my word choice that would make you think it would ruin my day or self esteem? And further, what was it that I wrote that could inspire such a venomous response? I'll put in more plainly -- Who pissed in your Cheerios?

Yes, I had an opinion about your post on the other thread, and yes I expressed it thoughtfully and respectfully. I regret nothing about my posts on this subject, and I did ask what your intention was, rather than make assumptions. Would that you'd been half as courteous to those of us who wondered about the posts.

Quote:
Wow, again... thanks for telling me what I/we/The Borg think. I really had no idea I had issues with popularity contests. How odd, since I don't think I've expressed one negative word about them. Can you tell me what color I'm wearing today, too? (That's unfair... it's purple... it's almost always purple...)

Quote:
Also, way to take an opportunity to air your issues, as generously asked to do by the mods of this board, and shit on it from the get-go. Nice.
Actually, I stopped posting about it immediately after we were asked to stop. I only participated in this thread -- whose topic is, incidentally, objectification if you're interested in staying on topic -- because the question was posed. I was happy -- am happy -- to let it to. I spoke my peace and am done. The only reason I'm writing this is because you so cleverly called me out. I figured either you wanted an answer, or attention, or both. So here you go. You're getting both. Did it make your day? Yeah? Great!

I don't know about you, but I sure as hell don't have time for this game playing, and this will be my last post to unless you choose to address me directly and respectfully.

Last edited by Tina; 03-09-2010 at 08:15 PM.
Miss Vickie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 07:25 PM   #36
Green Eyed Fairy
Flash Dancing

Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LillyBBBW View Post

Actually Lilly, never meant for it to be a "list the most popular" type of thread but what I said in the OP....appreciating the women of the forums. I saw some people making lists.....and that was okay with me simply because some people just want to name a few. Others, like myself, don't mind speaking in more generalized terms.

Quote:

Didn't really expect anything else from you but yet another cranky post. You never disappoint. People who are angry all the time strike me as being rather overly- sensitive.

Nice to see you say others are shitting on this thread.....kind of like what you did to mine. Telling others to be respectful to when you haven't shown any is ironic, at best.

Say whatever you want to the contraire, I have seen way too many negative, angry posts from you to think otherwise.

"The longing of my heart is a fairy portrait of myself: I want to be pretty; I want to eliminate facts and fill up the gap with charms."

"See these eyes so green, I can stare for a thousand years, Colder than the moon
It's been so long and I've been putting out fire with gasoline"

Last edited by Tina; 03-07-2010 at 12:24 AM.
Green Eyed Fairy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 07:30 PM   #37
Buffie
KittyBuffieKat

Buffie keeps pushing the rep limit!Buffie keeps pushing the rep limit!Buffie keeps pushing the rep limit!Buffie keeps pushing the rep limit!Buffie keeps pushing the rep limit!Buffie keeps pushing the rep limit!Buffie keeps pushing the rep limit!Buffie keeps pushing the rep limit!Buffie keeps pushing the rep limit!Buffie keeps pushing the rep limit!Buffie keeps pushing the rep limit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandie_Zitkus View Post
Buffie is one smart cookie.

And an awesome set tits! And you know I mean that with love and envy.
Heck woman, go buy some. I did.

*muah*

Old 03-03-2010, 09:35 PM   #38
Shosh
Susannah

Shosh has ascended what used to be the highest level.Shosh has ascended what used to be the highest level.Shosh has ascended what used to be the highest level.Shosh has ascended what used to be the highest level.Shosh has ascended what used to be the highest level.Shosh has ascended what used to be the highest level.Shosh has ascended what used to be the highest level.Shosh has ascended what used to be the highest level.Shosh has ascended what used to be the highest level.Shosh has ascended what used to be the highest level.Shosh has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffie View Post

*muah*
I'd pay to have mine made smaller. They can be hard on my back.
Shosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 11:25 PM   #39
Sandie_Zitkus
Entrepreneur

Sandie_Zitkus keeps pushing the rep limit!Sandie_Zitkus keeps pushing the rep limit!Sandie_Zitkus keeps pushing the rep limit!Sandie_Zitkus keeps pushing the rep limit!Sandie_Zitkus keeps pushing the rep limit!Sandie_Zitkus keeps pushing the rep limit!Sandie_Zitkus keeps pushing the rep limit!Sandie_Zitkus keeps pushing the rep limit!Sandie_Zitkus keeps pushing the rep limit!Sandie_Zitkus keeps pushing the rep limit!Sandie_Zitkus keeps pushing the rep limit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffie View Post

*muah*
I'm 5' 3" inches tall chica! If I had boobs like yours they'd be draggin on the floor!! LOL

Love ya oh Goddess of the boobs!
Sandie_Zitkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 01:53 PM   #40
superodalisque

superodalisque has ascended what used to be the highest level.superodalisque has ascended what used to be the highest level.superodalisque has ascended what used to be the highest level.superodalisque has ascended what used to be the highest level.superodalisque has ascended what used to be the highest level.superodalisque has ascended what used to be the highest level.superodalisque has ascended what used to be the highest level.superodalisque has ascended what used to be the highest level.superodalisque has ascended what used to be the highest level.superodalisque has ascended what used to be the highest level.superodalisque has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by olwen View Post
Look, it is not my intention to reduce anyone's concerns about how they see their bodies.

The reason I used the word hoopla is because it seemed to me to be the culmination of a lot of discord, all over the boards of late, not just here and yes, I had Butch in mind when I used that word too.

I started this thread in an effort to find out why any mention of women's sexuality seems to upset some of you so much. I'm frustrated by what seems to me to sometimes be an extreme point of view. So If my definition of objectification doesn't seem to mean what other people think it means, then I'd like to know just what it means? There has to be some kind of balance here.
those posts didn't bother me at all but i understand exactly why some people took offense. they were taunting posts. and they got the response that they were fishing for. its just another way to make people exhibit behavior that makes them look like mean nasty ol prudes and it accomplished that to some extent. its like poking a stick at a snake that you know will strike. i think it showed an insensitivity and hostility toward people whose views and sensibilities differ from your own because you might be sensitive about how those people view you and your lifestyle. i also feel it was a bit of a reaction to how some people here might conduct themselves on other forums.

overall i think we spend too much time being pissed off at each other for what we assume others think about us and doing subtle catty little things out of insecurity that we can pretend we aren't doing. better to stand up be a woman and have the courage to say honestly what you think without disrespecting people than to play little high school games. i think this has absolutely nothing to do with objectification or sex or loving our bodies. its just the continual pissing contest regarding whose position is right or wrong. the subject doesn't really matter. its also about the inability to have a healthy respect for one another's differing attitudes and opinions.

maybe if we weren't so quick to take offense at every little thing we wouldn't be so easily taken down though. i think thats a sign of weakness that important ideas can do without. it does nothing to enhance them. it also makes it appear that women who want to think deeply are sexless--which they are not. in fact they are generally much more sensual than people who are more obvious.

for people who want to police other people's ways of being out of existence, what are you so afraid of? if you aren't careful pretty soon this forum will end up with only one person in it--you.

so sad something so nice had to degenerate into the usual bullshit.

Last edited by superodalisque; 03-06-2010 at 02:20 PM.
superodalisque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 05:41 PM   #41
katherine22

katherine22 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!katherine22 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!katherine22 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!katherine22 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!katherine22 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!katherine22 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!katherine22 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!katherine22 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!katherine22 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!katherine22 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!katherine22 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Quote:
Originally Posted by superodalisque View Post
those posts didn't bother me at all but i understand exactly why some people took offense. they were taunting posts. and they got the response that they were fishing for. its just another way to make people exhibit behavior that makes them look like mean nasty ol prudes and it accomplished that to some extent. its like poking a stick at a snake that you know will strike. i think it showed an insensitivity and hostility toward people whose views and sensibilities differ from your own because you might be sensitive about how those people view you and your lifestyle. i also feel it was a bit of a reaction to how some people here might conduct themselves on other forums.

overall i think we spend too much time being pissed off at each other for what we assume others think about us and doing subtle catty little things out of insecurity that we can pretend we aren't doing. better to stand up be a woman and have the courage to say honestly what you think without disrespecting people than to play little high school games. i think this has absolutely nothing to do with objectification or sex or loving our bodies. its just the continual pissing contest regarding whose position is right or wrong. the subject doesn't really matter. its also about the inability to have a healthy respect for one another's differing attitudes and opinions.

maybe if we weren't so quick to take offense at every little thing we wouldn't be so easily taken down though. i think thats a sign of weakness that important ideas can do without. it does nothing to enhance them. it also makes it appear that women who want to think deeply are sexless--which they are not. in fact they are generally much more sensual than people who are more obvious.

for people who want to police other people's ways of being out of existence, what are you so afraid of? if you aren't careful pretty soon this forum will end up with only one person in it--you.

so sad something so nice had to degenerate into the usual bullshit.

Such a thoughtful response, Felicia. Some women are so sensitive to being objectified that any hint of it incurs defense. At the heart of this issue is self-definition and how strongly one believes in their own self-definition. If one feels competent in other areas of life then some reference to a body part does not have so much sting. When one has self-doubts or feels under appreciated for the complexity of one's being then some reference to one's body can reinforce self-doubt. There is a way to express appreciation for women and to express appreciation for a woman 's body that does not seem denigrating. I thought the remarks in this post were innocuous, and I can appreciate how other women were offended by them. We all do not have to react to something in unison, as we can be secure enough to accept a variety of input.

Queen Elizabeth I residing within.

If I continue to eat I will grow as big as a room.
"What are rooms for?":bow:
katherine22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 07:18 PM   #42
mossystate
flicks a booger on conrad

mossystate has ascended what used to be the highest level.mossystate has ascended what used to be the highest level.mossystate has ascended what used to be the highest level.mossystate has ascended what used to be the highest level.mossystate has ascended what used to be the highest level.mossystate has ascended what used to be the highest level.mossystate has ascended what used to be the highest level.mossystate has ascended what used to be the highest level.mossystate has ascended what used to be the highest level.mossystate has ascended what used to be the highest level.mossystate has ascended what used to be the highest level.

I think what you are not understanding through your instructing, supero, is that some of ' this ' has nothing at all to do with what how some women are defining ' objectification '. Much of this, as I see it, is quite simply about tone in a protected space. See the difference? I would bet that most women are smart enough to know exactly what is, and what is not, objectification...to them. I won't get into the business about how individual women should be labeled. You smell something, kind of exactly what you are saying about other women, and you are running with it in perhaps the wrong direction...at least when it comes to what some women here are saying. Scolding for " taking offense " is never...ever....ever...going to bring people to a table with any sense of feeling like what they say...matters. These things do work two ways. Too much is getting mixed together, as usual on Dims. Makes everything murky.
mossystate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 07:25 PM   #43
superodalisque

superodalisque has ascended what used to be the highest level.superodalisque has ascended what used to be the highest level.superodalisque has ascended what used to be the highest level.superodalisque has ascended what used to be the highest level.superodalisque has ascended what used to be the highest level.superodalisque has ascended what used to be the highest level.superodalisque has ascended what used to be the highest level.superodalisque has ascended what used to be the highest level.superodalisque has ascended what used to be the highest level.superodalisque has ascended what used to be the highest level.superodalisque has ascended what used to be the highest level.

yes i understand what you're getting at and its perfectly reasonable. but at the same time if people are injecting their "tone" into other forums and don't expect the same to happen here...? i think this requires that everyone do a little soul searching about their actions in all of the forums they visit. yes they knew they were violating a tone but there are times when their tone has been violated as well. to pretend otherwise wouldn't be genuine. if there are some here prepared to do it in other forums they shouldn't be so defensive about it occurring right here. maybe its important to deviate from the tone of things at times. it can stop us all from being lopsided in how we think. after all whats wrong with other women saying your body is beautiful? it would have been nice if it didn't have hostile intentions but it is what it is. i remember when women here could tell one another openly what they found lovely about them in any way they wanted and no one took offense and everyone felt happy. this is a sad turn of events when other women can use a compliment as a slight and its felt as one. if thats not something messed up i don't know what is. maybe it tells us something about where we are going?

i'm beginning to wonder if there should be separate forums at all if people are not getting the practice of being accepting and open to others anyway. what purpose does it serve to always go unchallenged in ones perceptions? all the head bobbing in agreement can get stale and boring after a while. people need to have their ideas challenged so that they can work the kinks out. life is murky like that. its not divided into black and white. peoples ideas are NOT all good or all bad. maybe its better to practice living in the real world when it comes to actually accomplishing something instead of creating a fake microcosm that exists nowhere and might not influence as much just so we can feel that we are having our own way somewhere. rules are not the only thing to be considered. actual people are important as well. freedom is important. when i visit this forum i get the feeling there is less and less air to breath in here because people have to be so careful of everything that they do or say that it retards honest communication. how is this any different from when people can't say anything that people think FAs might find offensive just because someone might get offended by some one else's truth?

Last edited by superodalisque; 03-06-2010 at 07:52 PM.
Old 03-06-2010, 07:49 PM   #44
mossystate

mossystate has ascended what used to be the highest level.mossystate has ascended what used to be the highest level.mossystate has ascended what used to be the highest level.mossystate has ascended what used to be the highest level.mossystate has ascended what used to be the highest level.mossystate has ascended what used to be the highest level.mossystate has ascended what used to be the highest level.mossystate has ascended what used to be the highest level.mossystate has ascended what used to be the highest level.mossystate has ascended what used to be the highest level.mossystate has ascended what used to be the highest level.

I am referring only to ' protected ' forums. If certain tones are to be kept out of the protected forums, then they should be kept out. Certain tones ...not the same as calling for an end to any bouncing ideas around...varying ideas. Two totally different things.

And, you do realize that part of the reason for the particular forums...part of the reason...was, indeed, for the chance to calmly exist in a larger sea that is sometimes not so easily navigated by all. Doesn't mean that the people enjoying a space are mindless and cannot stand to ever have a disagreement. Again, two very different things, and mindsets. There are other conversations started elsewhere on Dims, where there is more of what you desire. Heck, there are very private spaces here where people want to be able to go and recharge in whatever way ( and I am quite sure those places have rules ) sometimes in ways they cannot fully enjoy on the boards in general. Just because the protected forums can be seen, doesn't mean that there should be the exact kinds of conversations happening, for example, as on the main board.

As for dismantling the protected forums...makes no difference to me anymore. It does make a difference to those who want a little head bobbing, mixed in with different views, but not all ' tones '. They can then go out and stand a little taller, and then be able to better vocalize what is inside them...yes, even shake their head no, in disagreement. It's really not a horrible thing, especially for some who have never in their lives felt a refuge of some sort. I know you are big on people taking personal inventory. I am suggesting this is another perfect example to consider. Not everybody has the same abilities. Not everybody has the same strengths. This is a very ' big ' place...and not just in terms of the number of members.

* nods *

Last edited by mossystate; 03-06-2010 at 08:09 PM.
Old 03-06-2010, 08:23 PM   #45
superodalisque

respectfully, thats where we differ. i think every woman here is strong. every woman here is capable. she won't break if she challenges herself. she won't break if other people challenge her. she can make it. i have faith in that woman. if she isn't there yet i know she can get there. and while she is in the middle of the struggle it doesn't make her any less than anyone else. the process doesn't have to look pretty either.

fat is not a handicap and even if it were people with handicaps still have a life and a strength of their own. they don't have to give up and hide from the world under the protection of others in order to grow their wings. they get strong by flapping them, building their own muscles using new ones and getting the strength to finally being able to get out there and try them on their own. they live in ways that other people can't even imagine. she doesn't need other people to filter her contact with the world. she can decide for herself. she doesn't need to spend time tearing off another woman's wings to build her own either.

Last edited by superodalisque; 03-06-2010 at 08:30 PM.
Old 03-06-2010, 08:59 PM   #46
mossystate

Oy. I never said women here are fragile flowers. Muscles are not only developed through strife and confrontation and showing the world. One can be challenged even in times and places of great calm and head bobbing.

Perhaps you did not see where I said that there are places here where women can exercise different muscles. I know I mentioned that.

I just don't think you are understanding, at all, what I am saying. Oh my goodness. Oh my goodness.
Old 03-06-2010, 09:16 PM   #47
Buffie
KittyBuffieKat

Quote:
I'd pay to have mine made smaller. They can be hard on my back.
I've got another friend who had a reduction and was thrilled with it. She felt a lot better physically and still had a lovely shape. Backs are fussy things. grrrs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandie_Zitkus View Post
I'm 5' 3" inches tall chica! If I had boobs like yours they'd be draggin on the floor!! LOL

Love ya oh Goddess of the boobs!
There's something to be said for proportion. LoL I'm sure you're rocking your own faboo décolletage, Miss Z. Like Candye Kane says - love what you've got whether it's a little or a lot.

Old 03-07-2010, 02:05 AM   #48
superodalisque

Quote:
Originally Posted by mossystate View Post
Oy. I never said women here are fragile flowers. Muscles are not only developed through strife and confrontation and showing the world. One can be challenged even in times and places of great calm and head bobbing.

Perhaps you did not see where I said that there are places here where women can exercise different muscles. I know I mentioned that.

I just don't think you are understanding, at all, what I am saying. Oh my goodness. Oh my goodness.
probably not, but i respect you anyway because i have an idea where you're coming from.
Old 04-16-2010, 12:44 AM   #49
GenericGeek
Wearin' my angry eyes

GenericGeek never has a post go unnoticedGenericGeek never has a post go unnoticedGenericGeek never has a post go unnoticedGenericGeek never has a post go unnoticedGenericGeek never has a post go unnoticedGenericGeek never has a post go unnoticedGenericGeek never has a post go unnoticedGenericGeek never has a post go unnoticed

Quote:
I found myself being objectified one night when I went to a pub with a friend, and men were calling out " Show us yer tits" It was just awful. I felt like a slab of meat.

I agree that objectification is usually from somebody trying to gain sexual or economic advantage.

It does not feel good.
Ah, that famous Australian chivalry...

You probably weren't anywhere near as sloshed as they were, I bet. Buncha bloody yobs!
Old 04-17-2010, 09:49 PM   #50
katherine22

katherine22 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!katherine22 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!katherine22 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!katherine22 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!katherine22 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!katherine22 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!katherine22 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!katherine22 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!katherine22 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!katherine22 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!katherine22 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Quote:
Originally Posted by superodalisque View Post
yes i understand what you're getting at and its perfectly reasonable. but at the same time if people are injecting their "tone" into other forums and don't expect the same to happen here...? i think this requires that everyone do a little soul searching about their actions in all of the forums they visit. yes they knew they were violating a tone but there are times when their tone has been violated as well. to pretend otherwise wouldn't be genuine. if there are some here prepared to do it in other forums they shouldn't be so defensive about it occurring right here. maybe its important to deviate from the tone of things at times. it can stop us all from being lopsided in how we think. after all whats wrong with other women saying your body is beautiful? it would have been nice if it didn't have hostile intentions but it is what it is. i remember when women here could tell one another openly what they found lovely about them in any way they wanted and no one took offense and everyone felt happy. this is a sad turn of events when other women can use a compliment as a slight and its felt as one. if thats not something messed up i don't know what is. maybe it tells us something about where we are going?

i'm beginning to wonder if there should be separate forums at all if people are not getting the practice of being accepting and open to others anyway. what purpose does it serve to always go unchallenged in ones perceptions? all the head bobbing in agreement can get stale and boring after a while. people need to have their ideas challenged so that they can work the kinks out. life is murky like that. its not divided into black and white. peoples ideas are NOT all good or all bad. maybe its better to practice living in the real world when it comes to actually accomplishing something instead of creating a fake microcosm that exists nowhere and might not influence as much just so we can feel that we are having our own way somewhere. rules are not the only thing to be considered. actual people are important as well. freedom is important. when i visit this forum i get the feeling there is less and less air to breath in here because people have to be so careful of everything that they do or say that it retards honest communication. how is this any different from when people can't say anything that people think FAs might find offensive just because someone might get offended by some one else's truth?
People can examine why they choose to be offended by so much. If one wants an interesting experience in life then take less offence. So much evaluation of others and feeling offended can contrict one's life. People are so thin skinned here particularly over in the fat sexuality forum.

Queen Elizabeth I residing within.

If I continue to eat I will grow as big as a room.
"What are rooms for?":bow:
katherine22 is offline   Reply With Quote