Dimensions Forums  
Home Register Premium Membership Stories Ye Olde Library Health Issues Market Place Big Fashion

Go Back   Dimensions Forums > Discussion > The Foodee Board

Old 07-24-2010, 04:54 PM   #26
Fuzzy
Just a dirty old man

Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Supertaster. I'm the guy that can't decide what to order until the last moment, telling the people I'm with to order before me. And I will order a la cart if I have to get really what I want.

ETA: I eat so many really spicy dishes, that I probably destory and regenerate more taste buds, rather than having more to begin with.
Old 07-25-2010, 07:31 PM   #27
Candy_Coated_Clown

Candy_Coated_Clown never has a post go unnoticedCandy_Coated_Clown never has a post go unnoticedCandy_Coated_Clown never has a post go unnoticedCandy_Coated_Clown never has a post go unnoticedCandy_Coated_Clown never has a post go unnoticedCandy_Coated_Clown never has a post go unnoticedCandy_Coated_Clown never has a post go unnoticed

I am definitely a supertaster, but I actually can enjoy coffee, grapefruit, cabbage, Brussels sprouts and spinach.

However, each of these must be prepared a certain way for me to enjoy them. Brussels sprouts must be cooked properly and well. A lot of people really don't know how to cook them to bring out their best flavor. They are quite tasty then. When they are ill-prepared or dressed, they wind up tasting too bitter and unpleasant...and certainly improperly seasoned.

I am not much of a fan of grapefruit alone. Very bitter. However, I like it prepared moderately in certain desserts, and it's good paired with other things to balance the flavor. The sweet varieties of grapefruit are best.

I enjoy cabbage if it is prepared with the same considerations I described for Brussels sprouts. Really good with turkey bacon, olive oil, and chopped green onions

I am definitely not a fan of hot black coffee or hot coffees. Unpleasant and too strong, however, I'll drink an iced coffee once in awhile if I can add natural cane sugar, some cream or soy milk, and a bit of flavored syrup (hazelnut, caramel, vanilla). The drink is more palatable and I then can enjoy the earthiness of coffee. Freshly brewed coffee is also good in certain dessert batters (chocolate tart fillings, cakes, and so forth)

I do enjoy spinach, especially spinach artichoke dip with fresh vegetable slices or gourmet corn chips. I also like spinach on some pizzas...for example, spinach Alfredo pizza. Spinach can have a complex flavor if one really takes time to taste it.

I am very good at picking out and discerning ingredients in a dish, not only through smell, but also through taste. I'd be good as a taste tester.

I would also say that because I can taste a variety of flavors very intensely, this can fuel flavor and food addictions quite easily in me. Some flavors and tastes can really trigger strong waves of euphoria and intense pleasure.
Candy_Coated_Clown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 08:10 PM   #28
Wild Zero
ǝןʇıʇ ɹǝsn

Wild Zero keeps pushing the rep limit!Wild Zero keeps pushing the rep limit!Wild Zero keeps pushing the rep limit!Wild Zero keeps pushing the rep limit!Wild Zero keeps pushing the rep limit!Wild Zero keeps pushing the rep limit!Wild Zero keeps pushing the rep limit!Wild Zero keeps pushing the rep limit!Wild Zero keeps pushing the rep limit!Wild Zero keeps pushing the rep limit!Wild Zero keeps pushing the rep limit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBeautifulMe View Post
I can't even do iced coffee that's 90% milk and 10% coffee. lol. Still blech. But I love the smell off coffee!
Same, my girlfriend always tries to get my to give an iced latte or whatever a sip. I tend to dig the straw into the caramel or chocolate syrup that's settled on the bottom, hope for the best and manage to suck up the smallest drop of coffee ruining the mouthful for me.

Won't touch cabbage or grapefruit and I can't stand cranberries (know they weren't mentioned but I can taste those through any combination Ocean Spray throws out). I like fresh spinach, but I won't eat it cooked. I prefer vodka neat, with beer and mixed drinks I taste the alcohol through the other ingredients which overpowers and ruins the drink.
Old 07-25-2010, 09:35 PM   #29
BigBeautifulMe
That was a heart.

BigBeautifulMe has ascended what used to be the highest level.BigBeautifulMe has ascended what used to be the highest level.BigBeautifulMe has ascended what used to be the highest level.BigBeautifulMe has ascended what used to be the highest level.BigBeautifulMe has ascended what used to be the highest level.BigBeautifulMe has ascended what used to be the highest level.BigBeautifulMe has ascended what used to be the highest level.BigBeautifulMe has ascended what used to be the highest level.BigBeautifulMe has ascended what used to be the highest level.BigBeautifulMe has ascended what used to be the highest level.BigBeautifulMe has ascended what used to be the highest level.

OMG. I'm the same way with cranberries. Too tart. If they're in a juice, I can't drink it.

"I just think your culinary choices could use more death of sentient creatures. Is that so wrong?" - Mini

-Rosebud- I am imagining how lovely it would be to see your golden hair rising up over my belly when you are between my thighs
-Rosebud- Like a cunnilingus sunrise
BigBeautifulMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 09:45 PM   #30
olwen
Disco Bear

olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!

Wholefoods sells this cranberry juice that is 100% juice. When I got home to drink some I almost gagged. Then I read the label. It had zero sugar. I finally understood why you only ever see cranberry juice cocktail. I didn't want to throw it out tho, so I threw it in a pot with some sugar to make a syrup to use for fruit smoothies.
olwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 10:00 PM   #31
AtlantisAK

AtlantisAK knows EXACTLY what's going onAtlantisAK knows EXACTLY what's going onAtlantisAK knows EXACTLY what's going onAtlantisAK knows EXACTLY what's going onAtlantisAK knows EXACTLY what's going onAtlantisAK knows EXACTLY what's going onAtlantisAK knows EXACTLY what's going on

Yup, I'm a supertaster like I thought.

Funny thing is, I'm not really a picky eater. I'm pretty adventurous when it comes to eating and am -always- looking for something different and unusual to try.

It's hard to fool me when it comes to foods and brands.

Now, there are -some- things that just won't do. Water. I find it so extremely hard to drink tap or certain bottled waters...Normally it gets mixed with something else or made into tea because of the taste. Growing up on spring water shows you what water -should- taste like. That's one thing I miss about living in the country.
Old 07-25-2010, 10:07 PM   #32
Candy_Coated_Clown

Candy_Coated_Clown never has a post go unnoticedCandy_Coated_Clown never has a post go unnoticedCandy_Coated_Clown never has a post go unnoticedCandy_Coated_Clown never has a post go unnoticedCandy_Coated_Clown never has a post go unnoticedCandy_Coated_Clown never has a post go unnoticedCandy_Coated_Clown never has a post go unnoticed

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantisAK View Post

Now, there are -some- things that just won't do. Water. I find it so extremely hard to drink tap or certain bottled waters...Normally it gets mixed with something else or made into tea because of the taste. Growing up on spring water shows you what water -should- taste like. That's one thing I miss about living in the country.
This is so true about water. I drink water like a fish and make sure to always have a good supply of it on a daily basis, but yes, tap water tastes nasty and I can certainly tell the difference in the tastes of different waters.
Candy_Coated_Clown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 01:21 AM   #33
rush68

rush68 has said some nice things

Quote:

Funny thing is, I'm not really a picky eater. I'm pretty adventurous when it comes to eating and am -always- looking for something different and unusual to try.

Now, there are -some- things that just won't do. Water. .... Growing up on spring water shows you what water -should- taste like. That's one thing I miss about living in the country.

I got the same result and figured because I'm not a picky eater and will pretty much try everything that I wouldn't be one, also the same with water but not for the same reasons, regardless of the water I've had - it tastes weird to me.

I love good coffee eat my grapefruit with brown sugar (not because I prefer it that way, more so because I was raised that way), and love Brussels sprouts and spinach, can't say the same for cabbage though - honestly never tried it besides Chinese cabbage (bok choy).
rush68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 10:23 AM   #34
Sweet Tooth
Deep. W i d e.

Sweet Tooth has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sweet Tooth has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sweet Tooth has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sweet Tooth has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sweet Tooth has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sweet Tooth has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sweet Tooth has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sweet Tooth has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sweet Tooth has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sweet Tooth has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sweet Tooth has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Quote:
Yes! I grew up in the country. Could not stand anything made with city water when we moved. My parents knew someone who had a spring on their property, and we'd go there to fill up jugs of water for me even for stuff like Kool-Aid and tea.

Now, I swear by the filter on my fridge. Love it. Love that even my ice cubes don't have that nasty taste.
Old 07-26-2010, 12:03 PM   #35
CastingPearls
Go Big Or Go Home

CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:

It's hard to fool me when it comes to foods and brands.

OMG soooo true about water. I have a well and the water is sweet. I drink it all day.
When one of my brothers visits from the city, he stands at the sink for a good twenty minutes guzzling water and then fills up bottles to bring home. LOL

Tap water from anywhere else I've been tastes foul to me.

Free me, free yourself
A life of sacrifice controlled me
But those promises I made
No longer hold me
Mercurial more wayward by the hour
The shackles fall away I'm in your power

People throw rocks at things that shine.
CastingPearls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 05:42 PM   #36
smithnwesson
Drug dealer

smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

The girl friend brought a friend over a while back.

I asked them what they wanted to drink. The GF said white wine and her friend said 'just water' and specified that she didn't drink tap water.

I set everyone up (me, with a stiff Bourbon).

The friend took a sip and said, "Hummmmm! This is really good water. What is it?"

I replied, "Commode water. That's all I've fucken got: Tap water and commode water".

Neither of them thought that was funny.

- Jim
Old 07-26-2010, 06:23 PM   #37
Dr. Feelgood
intellectual nerd

Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candy_Coated_Clown View Post
Brussels sprouts must be cooked properly and well. A lot of people really don't know how to cook them to bring out their best flavor. They are quite tasty then.
I would reallllly like to believe you, but ... the Brussels sprouts I have eaten run the gamut from vile to repulsive. So ... how do you cook them?
'Bout fo' hundred pound...
-- Dr. Feelgood & the Interns
Dr. Feelgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 06:37 PM   #38
CastingPearls
Go Big Or Go Home

CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Feelgood View Post
I would reallllly like to believe you, but ... the Brussels sprouts I have eaten run the gamut from vile to repulsive. So ... how do you cook them?
The only time I ever had brussel sprouts I liked (loved) was at a fancy restaurant where they braised them in a cumin infusion then grilled them over an applewood fire, carmelizing the sear marks.
I ate mine, Spouses, and if given the opportunity, I would have eaten every single one off the plates at the table next to us.

Free me, free yourself
No longer hold me

Old 07-26-2010, 11:39 PM   #39
AtlantisAK

AtlantisAK knows EXACTLY what's going onAtlantisAK knows EXACTLY what's going onAtlantisAK knows EXACTLY what's going onAtlantisAK knows EXACTLY what's going onAtlantisAK knows EXACTLY what's going onAtlantisAK knows EXACTLY what's going onAtlantisAK knows EXACTLY what's going on

Geez, a lot of people commented on my post!

Candy_Coated_Clown:
Yeah, everyone around me thinks I'm crazy because I can most definitely tell and I can usually name the brand of water just from it's taste. Even filtered city water tastes nasty...The only way I can cover it up is with tea and a bit of sugar or some kind of drink mix...Even then that just makes it bearable, not enjoyable. My mom can tell the difference too. When I worked for a call center and needed to drink a lot, I went with Aquafina because out of the waters, it tasted the closest to spring water. Kinda icky, but tolerable.

rush68:
Mmm! I love spinach and cabbage (not together!)! I've been known to make raw cabbage leaf wraps. Cabbage is much better tasting than white bread (which is all my mom used to buy...ick.).
I'm not extremely picky about my coffee, but there are just some people I know whos coffee I refuse to drink. My fiancee's coffee being one. -gag-.

SweetTooth:
I sure wish I had that option here in the city! My mom is like 3-4 hours away from me, so it's no quick trip. I just make sure to enjoy the sweet and yummy spring water when I'm home.
You're so lucky to have a good filter then! What kind of filter/fridge do you have?

CastingPearls:
Lol, at least we know your brother has some good taste buds to know good water when he drinks it! That sounds like me when I go home to visit my mom, which isn't often enough. I go straight for the sink to get water and oh man is it good. The coldest freshest stuff you can get! It literally comes off of the hill and straight to the faucets.
We know our water is great because just washing my hair in it with my regular shampoo brings back body, shine and seems to make the split ends just disappear. Its like...magic. Oh, and we know it's good too because there are craploads of fat and huge salamanders near the spring and the house. I caught one last time I was there and it had to be a good 8 inches if not more. Healthy salamanders mean great water!

smithnwesson:
That was hilarious! I probably would have had to excuse myself from the table to go laugh my ass off rather loudly somewhere. Either that or I would have said "Can I have some more commode water, please? Num num!".

Dr. Feelgood:
My mom used to cook brussels plain with cheese...but that got old. Fast. I suggested she get some brown sugar and a little butter and cook them the way we used to do carrots and yams. They were delicious, way better than the first way she made them. I've also had applewood smoked bacon (gotta be thin!) wrapped around them and grilled them outside.

...Man, I'm getting hungry now.
Old 07-27-2010, 08:56 AM   #40
Sweet Tooth
Deep. W i d e.

Sweet Tooth has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sweet Tooth has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sweet Tooth has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sweet Tooth has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sweet Tooth has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sweet Tooth has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sweet Tooth has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sweet Tooth has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sweet Tooth has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sweet Tooth has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sweet Tooth has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Quote:
SweetTooth:
I sure wish I had that option here in the city! My mom is like 3-4 hours away from me, so it's no quick trip. I just make sure to enjoy the sweet and yummy spring water when I'm home.
You're so lucky to have a good filter then! What kind of filter/fridge do you have?
Yeah, you gotta just take the good stuff as a treat when you can get it.

I have a Frigidaire. I admit, it's pretty fancy. I don't expect most people are gonna rush out to get one, although I think people who have this particular sensitivity would do well to invest in one, especially since it uses the filtered water for the automatic ice cube maker, too. [How often is something ruined by nasty ice cube flavor?!]

But a good Brita is worth investing in. They have the large ones that you can put in the fridge that have a spout in the front rather than just the pitchers. I had a habit where I filled one of those each day, and I used it even in much cooking.
Old 07-27-2010, 04:15 PM   #41
knottyknicky
Hips like Cinderella

knottyknicky never has a post go unnoticedknottyknicky never has a post go unnoticedknottyknicky never has a post go unnoticedknottyknicky never has a post go unnoticedknottyknicky never has a post go unnoticedknottyknicky never has a post go unnoticedknottyknicky never has a post go unnoticed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oirish View Post
Yes, I am. I've taken teats in biology classes to confirm this and have a particular sensitivity to a few specific aromas generally recognized as faults with wine. It's definitely helped in my line of work but makes me damn picky about my food and wine.
Taken teats, eh? Are you sure you're not taking anatomy?

yukyukyuk.

I'm a supertaster, I guess. Makes sense, as I'm a total foodie. My sense of smell is pretty strong too. I'm not that picky of an eater (I don't think), but there are some flavors I just can't do...licorice or anise flavor, and almond flavoring. Before buying anything in a bakery I've never been to, I have to ask if they use almond flavoring in their stuff. Most places do, and they swear up and down its 'really subtle' but I can't do it at all. I love almonds, though. I love grapefruit though, as long as its coated in sugar, and I LOVE spinach and brussels sprouts. LOVE. Its texture that freaks me out the most, though.
knottyknicky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 04:21 PM   #42
knottyknicky
Hips like Cinderella

knottyknicky never has a post go unnoticedknottyknicky never has a post go unnoticedknottyknicky never has a post go unnoticedknottyknicky never has a post go unnoticedknottyknicky never has a post go unnoticedknottyknicky never has a post go unnoticedknottyknicky never has a post go unnoticed

Quote:
Originally Posted by olwen View Post
Wholefoods sells this cranberry juice that is 100% juice. When I got home to drink some I almost gagged. Then I read the label. It had zero sugar. I finally understood why you only ever see cranberry juice cocktail. I didn't want to throw it out tho, so I threw it in a pot with some sugar to make a syrup to use for fruit smoothies.
The real stuff is SO good for you though. I can't drink it plain but I like to mix it with some sparkling water and some sweetener or pineapple juice or something. Kind of refreshing and I hope i'm still getting the benefits of the pure juice. No way I could drink it straight, though. Bleargh.
Old 07-27-2010, 04:23 PM   #43
CastingPearls
Go Big Or Go Home

Quote:
Originally Posted by knottyknicky View Post
The real stuff is SO good for you though. I can't drink it plain but I like to mix it with some sparkling water and some sweetener or pineapple juice or something. Kind of refreshing and I hope i'm still getting the benefits of the pure juice. No way I could drink it straight, though. Bleargh.
I buy it too and mix it with another sweeter juice and sweetener if I have too. It really is so good for you.

Free me, free yourself
No longer hold me

Old 07-27-2010, 07:22 PM   #44
olwen
Disco Bear

olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Feelgood View Post
Get some olive oil in a hot skillet.

Or instead of olive oil, you can put some bacon that you have diced into the pan and let it sear and don't pour out the bacon fat after the pan is hot.

Put in the brussell sprouts that you have cleaned and cut in halves or quarters. Add kosher salt and pepper to taste. let them sautee. they should be golden brown or caramlized, but obviously don't let them burn.

Turn off the heat and squeeze the juice from a lemon onto the sprouts and kinda scrape some of the brown bits from the pan into the lemon juice. (I forget what you call that...oh, I remember now, deglaze the pan.)

They should be tender but still a bit crunchy. That way they don't get mushy and gross, and they won't be so bitter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by knottyknicky View Post
Taken teats, eh? Are you sure you're not taking anatomy?

yukyukyuk.

I'm a supertaster, I guess. Makes sense, as I'm a total foodie. My sense of smell is pretty strong too. I'm not that picky of an eater (I don't think), but there are some flavors I just can't do...licorice or anise flavor, and almond flavoring. Before buying anything in a bakery I've never been to, I have to ask if they use almond flavoring in their stuff. Most places do, and they swear up and down its 'really subtle' but I can't do it at all. I love almonds, though. I love grapefruit though, as long as its coated in sugar, and I LOVE spinach and brussels sprouts. LOVE. Its texture that freaks me out the most, though.
I hate licorice too. It's just...makes me want to gag. I like grapefruit, but only the sweeter red ones. I've never had a problem with almond flavor.

Last edited by olwen; 07-27-2010 at 07:26 PM.
olwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 07:20 PM   #45
knottyknicky
Hips like Cinderella

I do brussels sprouts by just halving them tossing them flat side up in a roasting pan with a drizzle of olive oil and some sea salt and fresh black pepper. Roast them till the leaves start to get golden brown and bring them out. They're awesome. I usually do some tomatoes while I'm at it, and the juices are yummy.
Old 08-10-2010, 11:20 PM   #46
jellybellyrolls

jellybellyrolls has said some nice things

I'm hungry

edit: That would have been much funnier if the post before me said 'I'm a Supertaster'
jellybellyrolls is offline   Reply With Quote