Dimensions Forums  
Home Register Premium Membership Stories Ye Olde Library Health Issues Market Place Big Fashion

Go Back   Dimensions Forums > Discussion > The Foodee Board

Old 08-27-2010, 03:00 PM   #1
Dr. Feelgood
intellectual nerd

Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.
Default Ever Eat at a Theme Restaurant?

Apparently some German entrepreneur has caused a ruckus by claiming he is going to start a restaurant for cannibals. Apparently theme restaurants are bigger in Europe than in the U.S. Has anyone here eaten at a theme restaurant? Is the food invariably crappy? Tell us your stories.
'Bout fo' hundred pound...
-- Dr. Feelgood & the Interns
Dr. Feelgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 08:49 PM   #2
Rowan
wickedly delicious

Rowan has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Rowan has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Rowan has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Rowan has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Rowan has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Rowan has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Rowan has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Rowan has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Rowan has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Rowan has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Rowan has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Like Midevil times? I ate there and it was pretty good.

פפפפפפפפפפפפפפפפפפפפפפפפ

~*~And I find it kind of funny, I find it kind of sad
The dreams in which I'm dying are the best I've ever had
~*~
Rowan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 02:33 AM   #3
CleverBomb
On Space Out

CleverBomb has ascended what used to be the highest level.CleverBomb has ascended what used to be the highest level.CleverBomb has ascended what used to be the highest level.CleverBomb has ascended what used to be the highest level.CleverBomb has ascended what used to be the highest level.CleverBomb has ascended what used to be the highest level.CleverBomb has ascended what used to be the highest level.CleverBomb has ascended what used to be the highest level.CleverBomb has ascended what used to be the highest level.CleverBomb has ascended what used to be the highest level.CleverBomb has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Did someone say "Theme Restaurant?"

Haven't been in there yet, but I will next time I'm in town:
Quote:
The Theme Building is a landmark structure at the Los Angeles International Airport within the Westchester neighborhood of the city of Los Angeles. It opened in 1961, and is an example of the Mid-Century modern influenced design school known as "Googie" or "Populuxe."
The Encounter Restaurant & Bar - fine dining and cocktail lounge @ Los Angeles International Airport (LAX)

-Rusty

Last edited by CleverBomb; 08-28-2010 at 02:45 AM.
CleverBomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 02:45 AM   #4
CleverBomb
On Space Out

CleverBomb has ascended what used to be the highest level.CleverBomb has ascended what used to be the highest level.CleverBomb has ascended what used to be the highest level.CleverBomb has ascended what used to be the highest level.CleverBomb has ascended what used to be the highest level.CleverBomb has ascended what used to be the highest level.CleverBomb has ascended what used to be the highest level.CleverBomb has ascended what used to be the highest level.CleverBomb has ascended what used to be the highest level.CleverBomb has ascended what used to be the highest level.CleverBomb has ascended what used to be the highest level.

And while I'm on a Jet-Age Theme kick, the restaurant on the Las Vegas Stratosphere tower is pretty good. Not cheap, but it's not a rip-off even considering that you're mostly paying for the view.

-Rusty
CleverBomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 09:40 PM   #5
toni
In the know

toni has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!toni has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!toni has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!toni has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!toni has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!toni has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!toni has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!toni has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!toni has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!toni has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!toni has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Cleaverbomb, I did the romantic dinner for two on top of the startosphere. I thought it was a huge rip off. The view was awesome but so not worth the price. I remember leaving hungry and hitting up jack in the box.

Last edited by toni; 09-02-2010 at 09:42 PM.
toni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 09:55 PM   #6
HottiMegan
I'm a fat geek!

HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.

This is the only one i've been to: http://www.casabonitadenver.com/
I remember it from my childhood visits to Denver. I took Max there when he was 1 and he loved it. It has cliff divers for a show and there are themed rooms.

I want to go to the stinking rose in San Francisco, not a theme setting but a theme menu: Garlic!
Old 09-02-2010, 10:26 PM   #7
isamarie69
Live and let die!!!

isamarie69 never has a post go unnoticedisamarie69 never has a post go unnoticedisamarie69 never has a post go unnoticedisamarie69 never has a post go unnoticedisamarie69 never has a post go unnoticedisamarie69 never has a post go unnoticedisamarie69 never has a post go unnoticedisamarie69 never has a post go unnoticed

Quote:
Originally Posted by HottiMegan View Post
This is the only one i've been to: http://www.casabonitadenver.com/
I remember it from my childhood visits to Denver. I took Max there when he was 1 and he loved it. It has cliff divers for a show and there are themed rooms.

I want to go to the stinking rose in San Francisco, not a theme setting but a theme menu: Garlic!
Omg its real? Lol saw this on southpark i did not know it was real.

And i have always wanted to go to The Stinky Rose.
Old 09-04-2010, 02:52 AM   #8
annabellethecat

annabellethecat can now change their title
Smile Casa Bonita

I thought Casa Bonita was just a South Park joke too. How funny that it's real! I would love to go there.It looks very cheesy and fun.
annabellethecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 06:08 AM   #9
Shosh
Susannah

Shosh has ascended what used to be the highest level.Shosh has ascended what used to be the highest level.Shosh has ascended what used to be the highest level.Shosh has ascended what used to be the highest level.Shosh has ascended what used to be the highest level.Shosh has ascended what used to be the highest level.Shosh has ascended what used to be the highest level.Shosh has ascended what used to be the highest level.Shosh has ascended what used to be the highest level.Shosh has ascended what used to be the highest level.Shosh has ascended what used to be the highest level.

space_needle_night.jpg

I have eaten at the Space Needle in Seattle. It did not rotate as fast as I thought it would. Maybe that was a good thing.
Shosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 07:34 AM   #10
jcas50
Liberal Scum

jcas50 does more than just post hot picsjcas50 does more than just post hot picsjcas50 does more than just post hot picsjcas50 does more than just post hot pics
Default what's the theme?

To me this begs the question - what is a theme restaurant? Wikipedia includes places like Hard Rock Cafe, Bubba Gump Shrimp, even Johnny Rockets. Using that logic, any place where the food is secondary to the atmosphere and experience would qualify. I would like to use a more narrowly defined use of the term. Something you find in any old strip mall should not be considered.
Old 09-04-2010, 07:58 AM   #11
thirtiesgirl
frumious bandersnatch

thirtiesgirl makes people happy simply by logging inthirtiesgirl makes people happy simply by logging inthirtiesgirl makes people happy simply by logging inthirtiesgirl makes people happy simply by logging inthirtiesgirl makes people happy simply by logging inthirtiesgirl makes people happy simply by logging inthirtiesgirl makes people happy simply by logging inthirtiesgirl makes people happy simply by logging inthirtiesgirl makes people happy simply by logging inthirtiesgirl makes people happy simply by logging in

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcas50 View Post
To me this begs the question - what is a theme restaurant? Wikipedia includes places like Hard Rock Cafe, Bubba Gump Shrimp, even Johnny Rockets. Using that logic, any place where the food is secondary to the atmosphere and experience would qualify. I would like to use a more narrowly defined use of the term. Something you find in any old strip mall should not be considered.
The Wikipedia definition is fine with me. I consider places like TGIFridays and Chili's to be "theme restaurants," largely because I'm not a fan of the manufactured "good times" atmosphere they try to create, and usually find their food to be lacking. Any place where the waitstaff has to wear "flair" (to borrow a term from Office Space) is a theme restaurant as far as I'm concerned.

By this definition, though, that also means some of the '50s diners in and around LA could qualify as theme restaurants. Like Chili's and TGIFriday's, they're going for a certain atmosphere, and usually make their waitstaff wear some kind of costume-y uniform. The problem is, I love diner food. Cafe '50s in Santa Monica has some of the best burgers I've ever eaten, and they do great breakfast food. The food at Mel's Drive-in isn't quite as good, and the atmosphere seems a little overdone and fake (especially at their Hollywood location), but some of their other locations aren't bad if you're looking for a semi-decent burger and a place to sit down and eat it.
Old 09-04-2010, 09:31 AM   #12
Dr. Feelgood
intellectual nerd

Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Using that logic, any place where the food is secondary to the atmosphere and experience would qualify. I would like to use a more narrowly defined use of the term.
I'm with you. Otherwise the Waffle House would qualify as a theme restaurant, assuming the theme is 'grunge'.
'Bout fo' hundred pound...
-- Dr. Feelgood & the Interns
Dr. Feelgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 11:09 AM   #13
qwertyman173
Andy from UK

qwertyman173 carries a lot of weight on this boardqwertyman173 carries a lot of weight on this boardqwertyman173 carries a lot of weight on this boardqwertyman173 carries a lot of weight on this boardqwertyman173 carries a lot of weight on this board

Quote:
Using that logic, any place where the food is secondary to the atmosphere and experience would qualify.
I guess in most restaurants the atmosphere and the experience are equal to the food in the patrons enjoyment.

As for me, I ate in the Rainforest Cafe once. When I was 12 or so. I can't really add more to the discussion
Old 09-04-2010, 12:15 PM   #14
Paquito
don't July to me

Paquito keeps pushing the rep limit!Paquito keeps pushing the rep limit!Paquito keeps pushing the rep limit!Paquito keeps pushing the rep limit!Paquito keeps pushing the rep limit!Paquito keeps pushing the rep limit!Paquito keeps pushing the rep limit!Paquito keeps pushing the rep limit!Paquito keeps pushing the rep limit!Paquito keeps pushing the rep limit!Paquito keeps pushing the rep limit!

Love Bubba Gump's Shrimp.
Paquito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 06:49 PM   #15
HottiMegan
I'm a fat geek!

HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by isamarie69 View Post
Omg its real? Lol saw this on southpark i did not know it was real.

And i have always wanted to go to The Stinky Rose.
Quote:
Originally Posted by annabellethecat View Post
I thought Casa Bonita was just a South Park joke too. How funny that it's real! I would love to go there.It looks very cheesy and fun.
Ha ha i totally forgot about that South Park episode That was such a funny episode
It is seriously cheesy fun. The food is meh but it's all you can eat and they have really yummy warm sophapillas.
Old 09-04-2010, 07:12 PM   #16
wrestlingguy
"Bitter Old Man"

wrestlingguy has ascended what used to be the highest level.wrestlingguy has ascended what used to be the highest level.wrestlingguy has ascended what used to be the highest level.wrestlingguy has ascended what used to be the highest level.wrestlingguy has ascended what used to be the highest level.wrestlingguy has ascended what used to be the highest level.wrestlingguy has ascended what used to be the highest level.wrestlingguy has ascended what used to be the highest level.wrestlingguy has ascended what used to be the highest level.wrestlingguy has ascended what used to be the highest level.wrestlingguy has ascended what used to be the highest level.

A few months ago, some of my friends and I had dinner at The Ninja Cafe in New York City. This mini editorial will give you an idea of the theme:

Quote:
Perhaps it was bound to happen: a rural Japanese fantasy seemingly conjured up from Tarantino's "Kill Bill" hits TriBeCa. This $3.5 million, 6,500-square-foot lavish setting features waiters in Ninja garb serving up diverse offerings as well as expensive prix-fixe menus
You walk through the entrance, and your "guide" asks you to choose your path. One path is dangerous, and the other is, well........................DANGEROUS.

Most of us had sushi of some sort. Yes it was decent. Yes, it was overpriced, as were the drinks (except for the Sapporo Beer, which you could buy for under $3). Magic acts were traveling from table to table, and we almost saw a murder on the other side of the restaurant (which may have just been a patron freaking out over the bill).

In spite of the cost (dinner for me was over $80), I would go again, once I mortgage my house.

http://www.ninjanewyork.com/

Old 09-04-2010, 09:55 PM   #17
Weeze
Justin Bieber of Dims

Weeze has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Weeze has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Weeze has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Weeze has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Weeze has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Weeze has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Weeze has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Weeze has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Weeze has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Weeze has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Weeze has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

I just have to say I *love* Bubba Gumps!
Old 09-04-2010, 09:58 PM   #18
Paquito
don't July to me

Paquito keeps pushing the rep limit!Paquito keeps pushing the rep limit!Paquito keeps pushing the rep limit!Paquito keeps pushing the rep limit!Paquito keeps pushing the rep limit!Paquito keeps pushing the rep limit!Paquito keeps pushing the rep limit!Paquito keeps pushing the rep limit!Paquito keeps pushing the rep limit!Paquito keeps pushing the rep limit!Paquito keeps pushing the rep limit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weeze View Post
I just have to say I *love* Bubba Gumps!
Me and the family ended up having dinner three times at Bubba Gumps on our week-long vacation over the summer. It was soooo good.
Paquito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 10:59 PM   #19
Fuzzy
Just a dirty old man

Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.

When I saw this thread, I first place I thought of was Casa Bonita The food is traditional Tex-Mex, and so most folks thinks its meh.

The owner of the Utah Jazz liked Casa Bonita so much, he copied the idea for his version, The Mayan. Now that food really is meh.
Old 09-04-2010, 11:03 PM   #20
Fuzzy
Just a dirty old man

Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.

When I really think about Themed Eating... and lots of it.. that would be Busch Gardens, in Williamsburg, VA. German-style at Das Festhaus!