Dimensions Forums  
Home Register Premium Membership Stories Ye Olde Library Health Issues Market Place Big Fashion

Go Back   Dimensions Forums > Discussion > The Foodee Board

Old 09-27-2010, 11:13 PM   #1
Dromond
Old school

Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.
Default The Root Beer Thread

This forum is sorely lacking in threads for the noble drink that is called Root Beer.

Confess your root beer love. Tell the world what your favorite root beer is, and what root beer you drink the most (if they are not the same).

As for me, my favorite is Sprecher's brand root beer. It's so smooth, creamy and savory. It's an orgy in my mouth. Sadly, you cannot find it south of the Mason-Dixon line.

The root beer I drink most is Stewart's. As far as mass market root beers go, it's one of the best of the lot. Here in the south I can only find it at Cracker Barrel, but any excuse to go to Cracker Barrel is a good one.

Be advised that I might take it upon myself to critique your choice. I'm a root beer snob.
Old 09-27-2010, 11:37 PM   #2
CarlaSixx
Just Another Weirdo

CarlaSixx keeps pushing the rep limit!CarlaSixx keeps pushing the rep limit!CarlaSixx keeps pushing the rep limit!CarlaSixx keeps pushing the rep limit!CarlaSixx keeps pushing the rep limit!CarlaSixx keeps pushing the rep limit!CarlaSixx keeps pushing the rep limit!CarlaSixx keeps pushing the rep limit!CarlaSixx keeps pushing the rep limit!CarlaSixx keeps pushing the rep limit!CarlaSixx keeps pushing the rep limit!

Yes! Finally a thread on root beer!

I used to be so obsessed with it. Until I developped an adverse reaction to sugars

I lovelovelove A&W's root beer. It's creamy and smooth... it's so candy-like!

There's not many root beer choices in my area, sadly. The most common is Barq's and I HATE that type! Though I do drink it for some similarity to root beer, but to me, it should be sweet and smooth, no bite!

The dominant ones around here are: Mug rootbeer, Barq's, and A&W. Then there's the old school fountain drink companies that have some nice ones as well, but they're hard to find.
CarlaSixx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 11:40 PM   #3
CarlaSixx
Just Another Weirdo

CarlaSixx keeps pushing the rep limit!CarlaSixx keeps pushing the rep limit!CarlaSixx keeps pushing the rep limit!CarlaSixx keeps pushing the rep limit!CarlaSixx keeps pushing the rep limit!CarlaSixx keeps pushing the rep limit!CarlaSixx keeps pushing the rep limit!CarlaSixx keeps pushing the rep limit!CarlaSixx keeps pushing the rep limit!CarlaSixx keeps pushing the rep limit!CarlaSixx keeps pushing the rep limit!

Oh! I totally forgot about "Dad's Root Beer" that I used to love to buy with a ham and cheese sandwich at the local general store. It was something like 58 cents a bottle and was rather nice, but that one still had a bit of a bite as well. I think the main fun was ripping off the label and making the kids in the area think I was drinking real beer. (only to actually do it about 3 years later, lol)
Old 09-27-2010, 11:41 PM   #4
Dromond
Old school

Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.

To me, A&W has a taste reminiscent of caramel pancake syrup. It's too cloying for my taste. I agree with your opinion of Barq's. It's not root beer, especially because it has caffeine. No self-respecting root beer has caffeine added. Mug is... okay. It's inoffensive, but that's about all you can say for it.
Old 09-27-2010, 11:43 PM   #5
Dromond
Old school

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlaSixx View Post
Oh! I totally forgot about "Dad's Root Beer" that I used to love to buy with a ham and cheese sandwich at the local general store. It was something like 58 cents a bottle and was rather nice, but that one still had a bit of a bite as well. I think the main fun was ripping off the label and making the kids in the area think I was drinking real beer. (only to actually do it about 3 years later, lol)
Dad's root beer from the fountain was fantastic. The stuff you get in the store now is NOT the same. The stuff calling itself "Dad's" these days is pretty nasty.
Old 09-27-2010, 11:49 PM   #6
CarlaSixx
Just Another Weirdo

I haven't had Dad's since I was probably 8 years old. But I also moved out of the countryside, which was the only place to find it, so I lost the chance to drink it, lol.

Apparently Jones makes one, but they blend it with other flavours like blueberry and whatnot... I'm not sure how I could feel about that.

There's a convenience store in my city that has their own brand of fountain root beer that is amazeballs. I don't know how they did it, and it's a family owned shop, but that stuff should be sold by mass market. It goes down smooth and has no bite whatsoever. It also doesn't have that candy taste that A&W has. Perhaps I should go back to the shop and buy some one day lol. That one has also been a few years since I had it.
Old 09-27-2010, 11:52 PM   #7
Dromond
Old school

Jones root beer is actually fairly decent. It's not your typical root beer, but it's still recognizable as root beer.
Old 09-27-2010, 11:57 PM   #8
KendraLee

KendraLee makes people happy simply by logging inKendraLee makes people happy simply by logging inKendraLee makes people happy simply by logging inKendraLee makes people happy simply by logging inKendraLee makes people happy simply by logging inKendraLee makes people happy simply by logging inKendraLee makes people happy simply by logging inKendraLee makes people happy simply by logging inKendraLee makes people happy simply by logging in

well since you like root beer so much. You would probably like the recipe I have for root beer pulled pork. the pork is made in the crock pot and the sauce you make for it is made out of...... yep...... root beer
Old 09-28-2010, 12:01 AM   #9
Dromond
Old school

I...

I...

It Must Be Mine!!!!

edit: what's the big idea with autoformatting caps lock words into lower case??!!
Old 09-28-2010, 12:13 AM   #10
KendraLee

KendraLee makes people happy simply by logging inKendraLee makes people happy simply by logging inKendraLee makes people happy simply by logging inKendraLee makes people happy simply by logging inKendraLee makes people happy simply by logging inKendraLee makes people happy simply by logging inKendraLee makes people happy simply by logging inKendraLee makes people happy simply by logging inKendraLee makes people happy simply by logging in

lol, I'll look for the recipe for you but I probably won't get it to you till next week
Old 09-28-2010, 12:41 PM   #11
Dromond
Old school

I'm patient. Thank you.
Old 09-28-2010, 12:59 PM   #12
KHayes666
Go away

KHayes666 keeps pushing the rep limit!KHayes666 keeps pushing the rep limit!KHayes666 keeps pushing the rep limit!KHayes666 keeps pushing the rep limit!KHayes666 keeps pushing the rep limit!KHayes666 keeps pushing the rep limit!KHayes666 keeps pushing the rep limit!KHayes666 keeps pushing the rep limit!KHayes666 keeps pushing the rep limit!KHayes666 keeps pushing the rep limit!KHayes666 keeps pushing the rep limit!

Barq's is my favorite, A & W is alright and I'm not a big fan of Mug. There's a brand up in New Hampshire that tastes like flowers (not in a good way) but I forgot what it is called.
Old 09-28-2010, 01:14 PM   #13
Mishty
aluminum petunia

Mishty has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mishty has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mishty has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mishty has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mishty has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mishty has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mishty has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mishty has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mishty has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mishty has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mishty has ascended what used to be the highest level.

top 5
jones
faygo
barqs
dads
A&W

I LOVE love LOVE cherry rootbeer from Sonic.
Well I ain't really falling asleep; I'm fading to black.
Mishty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 01:36 PM   #14
KHayes666
Go away

KHayes666 keeps pushing the rep limit!KHayes666 keeps pushing the rep limit!KHayes666 keeps pushing the rep limit!KHayes666 keeps pushing the rep limit!KHayes666 keeps pushing the rep limit!KHayes666 keeps pushing the rep limit!KHayes666 keeps pushing the rep limit!KHayes666 keeps pushing the rep limit!KHayes666 keeps pushing the rep limit!KHayes666 keeps pushing the rep limit!KHayes666 keeps pushing the rep limit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mishty View Post
top 5
jones
faygo
barqs
dads
A&W

I LOVE love LOVE cherry rootbeer from Sonic.
Faygo....I know some un-showered clowns who drink that. *shudders* I think I'll pass.

I don't think I've ever had Jones before, what's that like.
Old 09-28-2010, 01:40 PM   #15
Mishty
aluminum petunia

Mishty has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mishty has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mishty has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mishty has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mishty has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mishty has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mishty has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mishty has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mishty has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mishty has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mishty has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KHayes666 View Post
Faygo....I know some un-showered clowns who drink that. *shudders* I think I'll pass.

I don't think I've ever had Jones before, what's that like.
You leave 'em clowns out of it! lol
No really though, I've loved faygo since I was 3 and could get 4 bottles for a dollar at the Piggly Wiggly

Jones has a realllly clean taste, cause everything is kinda natural, so it isn't a super heavy heady kinda root beer, it's more.... like.... a Barq, without the bite.
Old 09-28-2010, 01:47 PM   #16
Dromond
Old school

Quote:
Originally Posted by KHayes666 View Post
Says the person whose taste in root beer is hopelessly pedestrian.
Old 09-28-2010, 01:51 PM   #17
Mishty
aluminum petunia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dromond View Post
Says the person whose taste in root beer is hopelessly pedestrian.
HAHA

Your so lucky in Mobile though! You get Jones AND Faygo at most stores.

By the way, have you tried stage planks yet? The ghetto Mobile loved cookie of choice?
Old 09-28-2010, 01:56 PM   #18
Dromond
Old school

Quote:
HAHA

Your so lucky in Mobile though! You get Jones AND Faygo at most stores.

By the way, have you tried stage planks yet? The ghetto Mobile loved cookie of choice?
I do like Jones, but Faygo is a cheapo root beer. I try to avoid root beers made with HFCS. It's gotta be real sugar for me. As for stage planks... never heard of it. I will have to investigate.
Old 09-28-2010, 01:57 PM   #19
HottiMegan
I'm a fat geek!

HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.

I really only drink A&W.
I do like Henry Weinhards too (i don't know if spelled that right). I drink that as a treat since it's a bit pricey.
There is also a brewery in the El Dorado casino in Reno that has a killer rootbeer. Hubby likes regular beer there too

OH and how could i forget.. there's a rootbeer joint downtown that has good rootbeer.. we get floats there once in a while
Old 09-28-2010, 02:02 PM   #20
Mishty
aluminum petunia

I almost forgot!
The root beer of all root beers:

Stewarts! made with herbs and berries!
Old 09-28-2010, 02:04 PM   #21
Dromond
Old school

Quote:
Originally Posted by HottiMegan View Post
I really only drink A&W.
I do like Henry Weinhards too (i don't know if spelled that right). I drink that as a treat since it's a bit pricey.
There is also a brewery in the El Dorado casino in Reno that has a killer rootbeer. Hubby likes regular beer there too

OH and how could i forget.. there's a rootbeer joint downtown that has good rootbeer.. we get floats there once in a while
Now that's what I'm talking about! Real, honest to goodness craft root beer. If you have all those delicious options available, why bother with A&W?
Old 09-28-2010, 02:05 PM   #22
Dromond
Old school

Quote:
I almost forgot!
The root beer of all root beers:

Stewarts! made with herbs and berries!
My dear, you just made my crush list by showing love for Stewart's.
Old 09-28-2010, 04:59 PM   #23
CarlaSixx
Just Another Weirdo

Stewart's is here, too!

I like their key lime drink. I don't think I've ever tried the root beer But I guess I must!
Old 09-28-2010, 05:24 PM   #24
thirtiesgirl
frumious bandersnatch

thirtiesgirl makes people happy simply by logging inthirtiesgirl makes people happy simply by logging inthirtiesgirl makes people happy simply by logging inthirtiesgirl makes people happy simply by logging inthirtiesgirl makes people happy simply by logging inthirtiesgirl makes people happy simply by logging inthirtiesgirl makes people happy simply by logging inthirtiesgirl makes people happy simply by logging inthirtiesgirl makes people happy simply by logging inthirtiesgirl makes people happy simply by logging in

I have only three things to say in this thread:

root beer floats

and...

Old 09-28-2010, 06:27 PM   #25
HottiMegan
I'm a fat geek!

HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dromond View Post
Now that's what I'm talking about! Real, honest to goodness craft root beer. If you have all those delicious options available, why bother with A&W?
Partly nostalgia with A&W. I have fond memories as a child driving out to the A&W place and getting a gallon of root beer. We lived in the boonies and it was quite a trek so it was a really nice treat. So i still like it. (plus it comes in diet since i rarely drink full sugar stuff.. i lost the taste for sugared soda while pregnant) I do admit, that the last time i had A&W i was sort of meh about it.

I think all this talk of root beer makes me want to head downtown with the boys and get some floats this weekend. (it's gonna be in the high 90's yet so a cool drink sounds like a great plan )