Dimensions Forums  
Home Register Premium Membership Stories Ye Olde Library Health Issues Market Place Big Fashion

Go Back   Dimensions Forums > Discussion > GLBTQ

Old 10-15-2010, 07:10 AM   #1
Jes
is oddly aroused

Jes has ascended what used to be the highest level.Jes has ascended what used to be the highest level.Jes has ascended what used to be the highest level.Jes has ascended what used to be the highest level.Jes has ascended what used to be the highest level.Jes has ascended what used to be the highest level.Jes has ascended what used to be the highest level.Jes has ascended what used to be the highest level.Jes has ascended what used to be the highest level.Jes has ascended what used to be the highest level.Jes has ascended what used to be the highest level.
Default Washington Post kookitude

Boy, is this article depressing and infuriating at the same time:

http://mediamatters.org/blog/201010130014

opening paragraph: Via Pam's House Blend [blog], I learn that the Washington Post's remarkably poor decision to post Tony Perkins's falsehood laden, anti-gay screed on their On Faith blog (on National Coming Out Day nonetheless) was because they felt they needed to "cover both sides" of "bullying and gay suicide." No, really, they're serious. Apparently they hosted a Live Q & A chat with Dan Savage to discuss "bullying and gay suicide" and his "It Gets Better Project," which is a You Tube channel Savage created in order to reach out to gay youths to prevent suicide. So, to balance Savage, the Post turned to Perkins to respond. Apparently to the Post, gay suicide is a two-sided issue.
Jes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 04:03 PM   #2
Paquito
don't July to me

Paquito keeps pushing the rep limit!Paquito keeps pushing the rep limit!Paquito keeps pushing the rep limit!Paquito keeps pushing the rep limit!Paquito keeps pushing the rep limit!Paquito keeps pushing the rep limit!Paquito keeps pushing the rep limit!Paquito keeps pushing the rep limit!Paquito keeps pushing the rep limit!Paquito keeps pushing the rep limit!Paquito keeps pushing the rep limit!

I know that good journalism is supposed to cover two sides of a story, but really? Fucking ridic.
Paquito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 04:59 PM   #3
Jes
is oddly aroused

Jes has ascended what used to be the highest level.Jes has ascended what used to be the highest level.Jes has ascended what used to be the highest level.Jes has ascended what used to be the highest level.Jes has ascended what used to be the highest level.Jes has ascended what used to be the highest level.Jes has ascended what used to be the highest level.Jes has ascended what used to be the highest level.Jes has ascended what used to be the highest level.Jes has ascended what used to be the highest level.Jes has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paquito View Post
I know that good journalism is supposed to cover two sides of a story, but really? Fucking ridic.
well yes and no. I mean...on debatable things, yes. But if you're trying to give whackjobs a chance to say their collective piece, then you're just a variety show, not a serious news program. Journalism is supposed to be about finding the truth in a story, not just finding any story. I don't recall who was talking about this ... probably someone on Bill Maher's show. But the point is: it's wrong to think that the news and/or journalism and/or reporting is supposed to bring 2 sides of everything to light. Should a story on a homosexuals in the military also give Fred Phelps a chance to rebut? No. And, in my opinion, the same with something like hard science. I don't want to know what Christine ODonnell's religion says created the earth. That's great for a talk show, but it's not science and we, as a society, privilege science over religion in the grand scheme of things (if we didn't, we might not have hospitals, just prayer circles that meet at the Y or goat sacrifices in the woods). Investigative reporting shouldn't be about 5 min/side of stupid platitudes and then moving on to a feature about whether we can get addicted to lip balm (this was an actual story on the news a few years back. And it was promo'd with one of those dun-Dun-DUN and I Have A Very Serious Look On My Face reporters saying: CAN YOU BECOME ADDICTED TO LIP BALM? TUNE IN AT 11 TO FIND OUT! Now, it was 7 pm. How exactly is it actually 'news' if you already know what you're going to say. Know what I mean? The show isn't news of the day, then, it's just features. Which is fine. But then call it Features, not The News).
Jes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 05:37 PM   #4
CleverBomb
On Space Out

CleverBomb has ascended what used to be the highest level.CleverBomb has ascended what used to be the highest level.CleverBomb has ascended what used to be the highest level.CleverBomb has ascended what used to be the highest level.CleverBomb has ascended what used to be the highest level.CleverBomb has ascended what used to be the highest level.CleverBomb has ascended what used to be the highest level.CleverBomb has ascended what used to be the highest level.CleverBomb has ascended what used to be the highest level.CleverBomb has ascended what used to be the highest level.CleverBomb has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Shape of Earth - Views Differ.
(Complete with slanted online poll, man-on-the-street interviews, and unattributed professional-grade footage provided by the conservative think tank "Americans for Common-Sense Geography".)

-Rusty

Last edited by CleverBomb; 10-17-2010 at 05:42 PM.
CleverBomb is offline   Reply With Quote