Dimensions Forums  
Home Register Premium Membership Health Issues Market Place Big Fashion

Go Back   Dimensions Forums > Discussion > The Foodee Board

Old 11-06-2010, 02:01 AM   #1
NoWayOut

NoWayOut knows EXACTLY what's going onNoWayOut knows EXACTLY what's going onNoWayOut knows EXACTLY what's going onNoWayOut knows EXACTLY what's going onNoWayOut knows EXACTLY what's going onNoWayOut knows EXACTLY what's going on
Default McDonald's myth proven false

I really have no idea where to stick this, so if it's in the wrong place, my apologies.

Basically, the legend of the McDonald's burger that doesn't rot was put to the test by a group that tested other burgers, including one made from nothing but pure ground beef. Turns out, the McDonald's burger doesn't rot...but neither do the other burgers the same size. The real reason the McDonald's hamburger won't rot isn't preservatives, it's because the burger is so small that it dehydrates too fast for mold to grow in a dry place.

A Quarter Pounder with Cheese will mold because it's bigger, and if you put the hamburger in a bag with moisture, the McDonald's hamburger actually will mold.

http://aht.seriouseats.com/archives/...l?ref=carousel
NoWayOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 07:22 AM   #2
CrankySpice
Unwashed.

CrankySpice has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!CrankySpice has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!CrankySpice has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!CrankySpice has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!CrankySpice has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!CrankySpice has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!CrankySpice has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!CrankySpice has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!CrankySpice has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!CrankySpice has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!CrankySpice has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Moldy or not moldy, I will not be eating McD's burgers or most ground beef for quite some time after reading this article:

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/10/04/he...meat.html?_r=2

The article is mostly about the dangers of E.coli, but it goes into the processing of "ground beef" extensively, which frankly, made me feel ill.

I actually wrote to McD's to ask if they use ammonia and "beef muscle trimmings" slurry in their burgers because to be honest, I love me some double cheeseburgers. Unfortunately, they do process their meats as outlined in that article. Although their response was couched in "but our burgers are totally safe and delicious!" language.

I may eventually get over it, like I did after being vegetarian for a few years after watching "Faces of Death 2". But for now...no ground beef for me unless I know it has come from whole cut sources.
CrankySpice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 10:11 AM   #3
blubberismanly

blubberismanly can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokesblubberismanly can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokes

I still don't trust their fries. I found a few under the couch from a few months ago. They just looked stale. They weren't stuck to the floor or anything. Weird how the dogs never ate them...
Old 11-06-2010, 05:25 PM   #4
The Orange Mage
♓ Fishy Pisces! ♓

The Orange Mage keeps pushing the rep limit!The Orange Mage keeps pushing the rep limit!The Orange Mage keeps pushing the rep limit!The Orange Mage keeps pushing the rep limit!The Orange Mage keeps pushing the rep limit!The Orange Mage keeps pushing the rep limit!The Orange Mage keeps pushing the rep limit!The Orange Mage keeps pushing the rep limit!The Orange Mage keeps pushing the rep limit!The Orange Mage keeps pushing the rep limit!The Orange Mage keeps pushing the rep limit!

I didn't know this, which is funny because I like to think I learned almost everything about the place from my 8-month stint there back in 2004(?)

And yeah, the reg meat (regular, 1/10 lb. patties) do dry up real quick. The quarter meat does, too, really.
The Orange Mage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 11:13 AM   #5
toni
In the know

toni has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!toni has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!toni has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!toni has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!toni has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!toni has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!toni has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!toni has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!toni has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!toni has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!toni has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Thank you! I am so glad someone stopped that myth. It was floating around facebook. Everyone was pissing me off with the "omg, I will never eat mc donalds again". Like it was a huge shock to them that the food was unhealthy. DUH!
toni is offline   Reply With Quote