Dimensions Forums  
Home Register Premium Membership Stories Ye Olde Library Health Issues Market Place Big Fashion

Go Back   Dimensions Forums > Discussion > The Foodee Board

Old 11-02-2009, 07:16 PM   #101
PamelaLois
ILL-INI

PamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions community

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Vickie View Post
oh my GOD! I made this soup! It's awesome, and my cohorts at work loooooooooved it. Naturally I made some changes:
  • triple the amount of fresh garlic
  • add a head of roasted garlic
It was incredible. I'll definitely be making it again... and again... and again.
Excellent changes, you can never have too much garlic
Old 11-03-2009, 10:44 AM   #102
Miss Vickie

Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PamelaLois View Post
Excellent changes, you can never have too much garlic
Yeah that's pretty much my cooking philosophy for everything but desserts.
Miss Vickie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 05:52 PM   #103
crayola box

crayola box knows EXACTLY what's going oncrayola box knows EXACTLY what's going oncrayola box knows EXACTLY what's going oncrayola box knows EXACTLY what's going oncrayola box knows EXACTLY what's going oncrayola box knows EXACTLY what's going oncrayola box knows EXACTLY what's going on

yay, so glad someone else liked this soup, will definitely try it soon with the additional garlic!
crayola box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 05:28 PM   #104
SoVerySoft
No fat no flavor

SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.

*bump*

I want to make soup! Inspire me, please
"Well," said Pooh, "what I like best --" and then he had to stop and think. Because although Eating Honey was a very good thing to do, there was a moment just before you began to eat it which was better than when you were, but he didn't know what it was called. - A.A. Milne
SoVerySoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 08:54 PM   #105
MisticalMisty

MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.

I just made a really good pot of soup last night.

1 1/2 lbs ground beef
32 oz chicken broth
32 oz of Spaghetti Sauce
1 cup chopped celery
1 cup chopped carrots
2 cans green beans *drained*
2 cans great northern beans *drained*
2 cans kidney beans drained
garlic powder
onion powder
Italian seasoning

brown ground beef with garlic powder, onion powder and italian seasoning * I do this to taste..so however much you think you would like*

In crock pot combine all other ingredients and turn on. Drain hamburger meat and add to crock pot. You can cook this either on low for 8 hours or high for 4.

I think it's 32 oz of Spaghetti sauce..it may be 64. I can't remember how big the cans were and the trash has already gone out!
MisticalMisty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 01:59 PM   #106
HottiMegan
I'm a fat geek!

HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Here's a yummy soup that i like. It's vegan but i'm sure you can add your favorite non-vegan alternatives

Creamy Cauliflower Soup

6c veggie broth. (i actually prefer the no-chicken broth but it's expensive)
1 head of cauliflower chopped into bite sizes.
2 onions chopped
6+ cloves of minced garlic
thyme (i use a pinch of dried)
3 potatoes. (i use regular brown kind.. i use 5 if i do reds) chopped into bites too
1 packages of vegetarian sausage sliced up (I like Trader Joes Italian Sausages.. they yummy)
1/4 gallon of plain light soymilk

Sautee the chopped onion in a few tbs of veggie broth in your soup pot. (or oil if you prefer) Once they're tender add the potatoes and broth. Cook for 15 minutes on medium heat. Add cauliflower and cook for another 15 or until everything is tender. Also add the thyme and garlic. At the end of the 15 minutes add the milk and soysages. Bring to a boil and its done!

This is my mom's recipe and it's very kid friendly. (at least for my kids ) Alex eats it and says MMMM the whole time
HottiMegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 12:48 AM   #107
Fuzzy
Just a dirty old man

Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.
Default Beef and Onion Soup

1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 pound round steak, cut into 1inch cubes
1 tablespoon butter or margarine
3 medium yellow onions, sliced into rings
6 cups beef stock or broth
1 tablespoon dijon mustard
1/4 cup dry red wine
1 teaspoon salt
Freshly ground pepper to taste
5 ounces medium mushrooms, sliced
1/4 cup chopped parsley
1 cup grated Swiss cheese for topping

In a large dutch oven over medium-high heat, warm oil. Add beef cubes and brown. Remove to a plate. Reduce heat to medium-low. Add butter and onions and toss until onions are slightly limp.
Add stock, Dijon mustard, wine, salt, and pepper. Return beef cubes to dutch oven. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer, covered, until meat is very tender, about 1 hour.
Add mushrooms and simmer 30 minutes longer. Add parsley. Ladle into bowls and sprinkle with cheese.

Last edited by Fuzzy; 11-10-2010 at 12:53 AM.
Fuzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 12:57 AM   #108
Fuzzy
Just a dirty old man

Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.

See Also Fuzzy's Soup Kick
Old 11-12-2010, 02:33 AM   #109
Tracyarts

Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!

I made a "throw stuff from the pantry and freezer into a pot" soup yesterday that turned out really well. I had wanted to make some kind of Asian inspired soup, with shrimp, and have it in a flavorful broth (I love brothy soup). But with some kind of vegetable too... And this is what I came up with.

I had a bag of frozen raw shrimp that I thawed, cleaned and cut into chunks (they were huge shrimp) and saved the shells. I put the shrimp shells along with some spices (a couple dried ginger slices, a few pieces of dried anise, some dried coriander seeds, and a few whole cloves) in a pot with water and simmered it for about an hour. Then I strained off the shrimp shells and spices and added about a half teaspoon red chili paste and about a half teaspoon of fish sauce to it, along with the juice of a lime. I had two packs of ramen noodles in the pantry (shrimp, and "oriental" flavor) so I put both seasoning packets in as well. Added about a half a bag of frozen chopped turnip greens that was in the freezer, and let it come to a boil. Then I added the shrimp and ramen noodles and turned off the heat and put the lid on to let the shrimp cook and the noodles steep in the broth.

It was really good, boiling the shrimp shells with the spices made for a really nice stock to build off of, the chili paste gave it just a hint of heat, and the bitterness of the greens went really well with the sweetness of the shrimp. My friend loved it, my husband loved it, and I loved it. I'll totally be making that one again.

Tracy
Old 11-12-2010, 07:15 AM   #110
lypeaches

lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Vickie View Post
oh my GOD! I made this soup! It's awesome, and my cohorts at work loooooooooved it. Naturally I made some changes:
  • triple the amount of fresh garlic
  • add a head of roasted garlic

It was incredible. I'll definitely be making it again... and again... and again.
Miss Vickie,
Did you use sweet potatoes? or yams? I have a bunch of yams...do you think they would work?
lypeaches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 07:22 AM   #111
lypeaches

lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Nevermind that question...I just looked online about the difference and discovered that what I have are actually sweet potatoes, so it's all good!
lypeaches is offline   Reply With Quote