Dimensions Forums  
Home Register Premium Membership Health Issues Market Place Big Fashion

Go Back   Dimensions Forums > Discussion > The Foodee Board

Old 09-22-2010, 04:02 AM   #1
Mishty
aluminum petunia

Mishty has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mishty has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mishty has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mishty has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mishty has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mishty has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mishty has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mishty has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mishty has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mishty has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mishty has ascended what used to be the highest level.
Default Southern Appalachian Breakfast

I just ate fried fat back(saltpork or white bacon), sweet sorghum,hominy grits,buttermilk biscuits made with real lard and Mamas black pepper flecked bacon gravy, all with a thick slice of garden fresh tomato.

I know I'm not the only kid on here raised on this stuff!
If you ate it as a kid, do you still eat it? If not, do you miss it?

I live with my Mama and Daddy and she makes this 3 times a week for him when he doesn't have to work, because he likes to linger over the food all day, eating till it's gone. lol
Do any of you Southerners remember the biscuits and pork(bacon,fatback,sausage,country ham,etc) that your Grannies and your Maw-maws kept on/in the stove all day long. Ready to feed a visitor(mostly people spreading the word by foot) or just ready to grab and eat during the day. I think I ate more cold biscuits as a kid than warm ones.

[ I don't have a camera or I would've taken a few pictures for y'all 'cause lord knows it was a big spread of food. So tasty to look at! ]
Well I ain't really falling asleep; I'm fading to black.
Mishty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 11:45 AM   #2
Alicia33
Southern Belle

Alicia33 is a member of the 500 clubAlicia33 is a member of the 500 clubAlicia33 is a member of the 500 clubAlicia33 is a member of the 500 clubAlicia33 is a member of the 500 clubAlicia33 is a member of the 500 club

Being raised in the south, I know exactly what you are talking about I grew up on food like this and I still like to cook it too. You can't beat good ol' southern cooking

"Ain't nothin' wrong with lovin' chunky"
Alicia33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 02:01 PM   #3
imfree
VLF Loop Rancher

imfree has ascended what used to be the highest level.imfree has ascended what used to be the highest level.imfree has ascended what used to be the highest level.imfree has ascended what used to be the highest level.imfree has ascended what used to be the highest level.imfree has ascended what used to be the highest level.imfree has ascended what used to be the highest level.imfree has ascended what used to be the highest level.imfree has ascended what used to be the highest level.imfree has ascended what used to be the highest level.imfree has ascended what used to be the highest level.
Default Hi!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alicia33 View Post
Being raised in the south, I know exactly what you are talking about I grew up on food like this and I still like to cook it too. You can't beat good ol' southern cooking
Hi Alicia33 and welcome to Dimensions Forums,
Neighbor.

You got to lose to know how to win.(Aerosmith-Dream On)

Fat is like grass, it'll never go away and there's a hell
of a lot of money to be made by controlling it!

Life is only therapy, real expensive and no guarantees.

Fat is only ugly to those who hate.

Federal Pacific Panels & Breakers have known fire hazards!
imfree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 11:09 AM   #4
Mishty
aluminum petunia

Mishty has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mishty has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mishty has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mishty has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mishty has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mishty has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mishty has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mishty has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mishty has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mishty has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mishty has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Redeye gravy this morning, made with bitter coffee and made with super salty country ham. So incredible on my biscuits and basted fried eggs!
Old 09-24-2010, 03:26 PM   #5
CastingPearls
Go Big Or Go Home

CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Not from The South but most of that sounds A LOT like my Gram and mom's Polish breakfasts!!! I still cook with fatback, btw!!!

Free me, free yourself
A life of sacrifice controlled me
But those promises I made
No longer hold me
Mercurial more wayward by the hour
The shackles fall away I'm in your power

People throw rocks at things that shine.
CastingPearls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 03:35 PM   #6
Alicia33
Southern Belle

Alicia33 is a member of the 500 clubAlicia33 is a member of the 500 clubAlicia33 is a member of the 500 clubAlicia33 is a member of the 500 clubAlicia33 is a member of the 500 clubAlicia33 is a member of the 500 club

Thanks, imfree! I have lived here in good ol' Tenn. all my life and I love it here, I will be glad when the cooler weather gets here tho

Mishty, your signature makes me giggle, cause we are talking about eating ham and there is that little piggy

"Ain't nothin' wrong with lovin' chunky"
Alicia33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 11:01 PM   #7
it's only me

it's only me can now change their title

Mishty, girl those were the good ole days, except we didn't eat the pork for breakfast,she saved that for dinner to put in beans or greens, you see there were 10 of us so my mama played it smart & cooked us a hearty dinner for breakfast, fried chicken or rabbit, biscuits, rice & gravy, she did that so it would keep us full till dinner and wouldn't have to fix us lunch that's because like i said there 10 of us and having 3 meals a day wasn't in our budget.

but growing up & marrying, and trying to watch what i eat & trying to take better care if myself, i don't eat like that not that often, maybe some beef suasage, beef bacon, (we don't eat pork) and i'll give myself a treat every now & then and eat the whole egg instead of egg whites. and do i miss it? heck yea there's no cooking like mama's ( she passed 10 yrs ago), it seems like i just can't get that gravy quite right(lol).

do your mama ever cook salmon mackeral patties? you know i loved those but never learned to cook them cause i couldn't stand the smell, it stayed in your house for days, i use to eat mine on a biscuit with mayonaise & hot sauce, no syrup that's how the rest of my family ate theirs, i guess i was the only strange one on the family(lol). but you seem to be really blessed having both of your parents still living & able to live at home, what a blessing, never take it for granted, but can i give you a bit of advice , stand over your mothers shoulder & try to learn how to make everything she cooks that way if you ever get out on your own or god forbid something happens to her you'll still know how to cook up those good southern meals(lol). you gotta love the south, you don't know what your missing until you've had a good southern meal.
it's only me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 02:55 PM   #8
fat9276

fat9276 has ascended what used to be the highest level.fat9276 has ascended what used to be the highest level.fat9276 has ascended what used to be the highest level.fat9276 has ascended what used to be the highest level.fat9276 has ascended what used to be the highest level.fat9276 has ascended what used to be the highest level.fat9276 has ascended what used to be the highest level.fat9276 has ascended what used to be the highest level.fat9276 has ascended what used to be the highest level.fat9276 has ascended what used to be the highest level.fat9276 has ascended what used to be the highest level.

I love this thread because...

1) I have a Granny and she says things like "well that ain't gonna get a baby no shoes" and I love her for it
2) I love red-eyed gravy, grits, and just about all food southern except boiled okra (and we don't call em' potatoes at Granny's..it's taters and I have slept in a "tater wagon" before)
3) I have been touched, bit, or stuck by one or more of the following: chiggers, ticks, sweat-bees, hornets, possums, dirt-dobbers, wasps, bigger than life bumble bees, skeeters (aka mosquitoes), yellow jackets, crawdads (aka crayfish for you that do not know any better ) haha and so many other backwoods bottom nasty things!

by the way: my Granny makes her own muscadine jelly and sorghum molasses... and she can find every wild blackberry ever there was in rural Tennessee

Granny

Last edited by fat9276; 09-26-2010 at 02:58 PM. Reason: lovin' my granny
fat9276 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 03:50 PM   #9
cinnamitch
nope

cinnamitch keeps pushing the rep limit!cinnamitch keeps pushing the rep limit!cinnamitch keeps pushing the rep limit!cinnamitch keeps pushing the rep limit!cinnamitch keeps pushing the rep limit!cinnamitch keeps pushing the rep limit!cinnamitch keeps pushing the rep limit!cinnamitch keeps pushing the rep limit!cinnamitch keeps pushing the rep limit!cinnamitch keeps pushing the rep limit!cinnamitch keeps pushing the rep limit!

Mmmm, Biscuits and gravy some good old scrambled eggs and taters. Taters that are so crispy on one side but still good and soft and just a little greasy on the other, of course they would be fried up with some onion.

We ate a lot of Okra and tomatoes around our house for supper. I love okra, any way you make it is fine with me.
cinnamitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 04:06 PM   #10
Mishty
aluminum petunia

Quote:
Originally Posted by it's only me View Post
Mishty, girl those were the good ole days, except we didn't eat the pork for breakfast,she saved that for dinner to put in beans or greens, you see there were 10 of us so my mama played it smart & cooked us a hearty dinner for breakfast, fried chicken or rabbit, biscuits, rice & gravy, she did that so it would keep us full till dinner and wouldn't have to fix us lunch that's because like i said there 10 of us and having 3 meals a day wasn't in our budget.

but growing up & marrying, and trying to watch what i eat & trying to take better care if myself, i don't eat like that not that often, maybe some beef suasage, beef bacon, (we don't eat pork) and i'll give myself a treat every now & then and eat the whole egg instead of egg whites. and do i miss it? heck yea there's no cooking like mama's ( she passed 10 yrs ago), it seems like i just can't get that gravy quite right(lol).

do your mama ever cook salmon mackeral patties? you know i loved those but never learned to cook them cause i couldn't stand the smell, it stayed in your house for days, i use to eat mine on a biscuit with mayonaise & hot sauce, no syrup that's how the rest of my family ate theirs, i guess i was the only strange one on the family(lol). but you seem to be really blessed having both of your parents still living & able to live at home, what a blessing, never take it for granted, but can i give you a bit of advice , stand over your mothers shoulder & try to learn how to make everything she cooks that way if you ever get out on your own or god forbid something happens to her you'll still know how to cook up those good southern meals(lol). you gotta love the south, you don't know what your missing until you've had a good southern meal.

My Mama is from a family of 13, so she knows how to make meals out of handfuls of nothing. Just tonight for Sunday supper we had pintos, cracklin' cornbread, fried okra, fried potatoes, crunchy fried gizzards and banana pudding!

Rice and gravy is my favorite meal ever, which is weird because the only way Daddy and his family eat rice is with sugar and butter. ew.

Salmon patties!
Good lord above I hate these things! The Mama makes them every week!
That god awful smell makes me cringe, but god Daddy loves them thing! Plus you can get 20 patties from one can of fish. That's a family a supper and lunch the next day
Her's are so awesome, she gets them super brown and crunchy on the outside, and still moist...and fishy, on the inside. I hate seafood/fish so I've never liked them, but remember growing up and eating them on cold biscuits with onion and 'mater, 'cause there wasn't anything else to eat. lol

Have you ever had canned salmon and vinegar? Mama and her family eat it with onion and salt crackers. It's not a pretty thing to watch. lol

I am very blessed to spending all this time at home with both of them, and it feels like no matter how much I watch her cook, and can, freeze, "put up", I can't retain it all. And he gardens the same way 5 generations has, and it''s not easy working top land, and there are rules that no book, or website and can explain or make sense of. I've started taking notes, and they thinks it's cute and adorable, but I'm just scared I'm not going to remember the important part for the next generation.....
Old 09-26-2010, 04:08 PM   #11
Mishty
aluminum petunia

Quote:
Originally Posted by CastingPearls View Post
Not from The South but most of that sounds A LOT like my Gram and mom's Polish breakfasts!!! I still cook with fatback, btw!!!
Really? I know Polish food is based on the Pig to, thats awesome though. Maybe we're not complete outsiders down here then

fatback makes anything taste like bacon =
Old 09-26-2010, 04:09 PM   #12
Mishty
aluminum petunia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alicia33 View Post

Mishty, your signature makes me giggle, cause we are talking about eating ham and there is that little piggy
LOL, I know right?
Old 09-26-2010, 04:19 PM   #13
Mishty
aluminum petunia

Quote:
Originally Posted by fat9276 View Post
I love this thread because...

1) I have a Granny and she says things like "well that ain't gonna get a baby no shoes" and I love her for it
2) I love red-eyed gravy, grits, and just about all food southern except boiled okra (and we don't call em' potatoes at Granny's..it's taters and I have slept in a "tater wagon" before)
3) I have been touched, bit, or stuck by one or more of the following: chiggers, ticks, sweat-bees, hornets, possums, dirt-dobbers, wasps, bigger than life bumble bees, skeeters (aka mosquitoes), yellow jackets, crawdads (aka crayfish for you that do not know any better ) haha and so many other backwoods bottom nasty things!

by the way: my Granny makes her own muscadine jelly and sorghum molasses... and she can find every wild blackberry ever there was in rural Tennessee

Granny

Lord, your post made me laugh!
I've been bit by things that I didn't know had mouths! lol
I think the worst ever was fallin' into the "watermelon pit" where we tossed the rinds and the scraps. Oh god girl, wasps, yellow jackets, ants, and mean red hornets attacked, and just I about flew to the creek to jump in.

Now, I can find and pick blackberries all day long, give me a milk jug cut and ready and I'll pick till I see a snake, then I'm done. I don't "shoo it off" and keep on, if a snake wants them there blackberries, he can have 'em.

Boiled okra is only good in gumbo, in my own humble opinion, but pickle the stuff and I'll crunch on it till there ain't nothin' but green juice and spices floating in a jar.

Muscadine wine,muscadine jelly,muscadine butter.... I love all things muscadine.

My Mama is from Sneedville (between Morristown and Beanstation) and her family crack me up with there sayin's like "Speckled pup in a red wagon" and "If ifs' and buts' were candy and nuts, everyday would be Christmas" hahaha
Old 09-26-2010, 04:21 PM   #14
Mishty
aluminum petunia

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinnamitch View Post
Mmmm, Biscuits and gravy some good old scrambled eggs and taters. Taters that are so crispy on one side but still good and soft and just a little greasy on the other, of course they would be fried up with some onion.

We ate a lot of Okra and tomatoes around our house for supper. I love okra, any way you make it is fine with me.

My Mama makes the perfect fried taters, and I get all excited when she throws in some floured squash and onions.... it just melts in my mouth.

Okra is by far the best thing ever, but jesus, when I pick and cut the stuff I itch for a week.
Old 09-26-2010, 04:31 PM   #15
fat9276

fat9276 has ascended what used to be the highest level.fat9276 has ascended what used to be the highest level.fat9276 has ascended what used to be the highest level.fat9276 has ascended what used to be the highest level.fat9276 has ascended what used to be the highest level.fat9276 has ascended what used to be the highest level.fat9276 has ascended what used to be the highest level.fat9276 has ascended what used to be the highest level.fat9276 has ascended what used to be the highest level.fat9276 has ascended what used to be the highest level.fat9276 has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mishty View Post
Lord, your post made me laugh!
I've been bit by things that I didn't know had mouths! lol
I think the worst ever was fallin' into the "watermelon pit" where we tossed the rinds and the scraps. Oh god girl, wasps, yellow jackets, ants, and mean red hornets attacked, and just I about flew to the creek to jump in.

Now, I can find and pick blackberries all day long, give me a milk jug cut and ready and I'll pick till I see a snake, then I'm done. I don't "shoo it off" and keep on, if a snake wants them there blackberries, he can have 'em.

Boiled okra is only good in gumbo, in my own humble opinion, but pickle the stuff and I'll crunch on it till there ain't nothin' but green juice and spices floating in a jar.

Muscadine wine,muscadine jelly,muscadine butter.... I love all things muscadine.

My Mama is from Sneedville (between Morristown and Beanstation) and her family crack me up with there sayin's like "Speckled pup in a red wagon" and "If ifs' and buts' were candy and nuts, everyday would be Christmas" hahaha

Mishty, we might be kin haha

My granny also heats her water in the sun in a big cast iron pot, only cooks with cast iron (I mean is there anything else? pfft) AND still has an outhouse that my Dad used when he was a boy
Old 09-27-2010, 06:43 AM   #16
Mishty
aluminum petunia

Quote:
Originally Posted by fat9276 View Post
Mishty, we might be kin haha

My granny also heats her water in the sun in a big cast iron pot, only cooks with cast iron (I mean is there anything else? pfft) AND still has an outhouse that my Dad used when he was a boy
Maybe

My Mama once threatened death because I washed out Granny's cast iron bread pan. Apparently it hadn't seen water since around 1950 when weevils got in the flour.

We still make sweet tea in the sun....

And right now, Mama is making a big ole pan of chocolate gravy to go with the last of last years Cajun sausage!
Old 09-27-2010, 07:20 AM   #17
smithnwesson
Drug dealer

smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Biscuits, sausage (Jimmy Dean's Hot), and sausage gravy.

Old 09-27-2010, 07:57 AM   #18
Dr. Feelgood
intellectual nerd

Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smithnwesson View Post
Biscuits, sausage (Jimmy Dean's Hot), and sausage gravy.

And parsley. It's good to see you're getting your veggies.
'Bout fo' hundred pound...
-- Dr. Feelgood & the Interns
Dr. Feelgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 07:50 AM   #19
smithnwesson
Drug dealer

smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Feelgood View Post
And parsley. It's good to see you're getting your veggies.
We believes in a heart-healthy diet. Veggies is the foundation of dat.
Old 11-23-2010, 04:23 PM   #20
danbsc29630

danbsc29630 can now change their title

Shrimp and grits are part of the breakfast of champions. My dad used to live in Charleston SC, for a few years and he picked that up.

Hard to find good sorghum anymore. At least hard to find it thats not cut down with sugars.
danbsc29630 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 04:55 PM   #21
Londonbikerboy

Londonbikerboy can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokesLondonbikerboy can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokes

Darn it.....you've got a lot to answer for ;0)....
Here I was, in bed, about to drop off to sleep, being good and not having a late night feast, and there you go making me hungary......I'm going to have to raid the fridge now!

Sounds delicious Mishty, I'm drooling!
Londonbikerboy is offline   Reply With Quote