Dimensions Forums  
Home Register Premium Membership Stories Ye Olde Library Health Issues Market Place Big Fashion

Go Back   Dimensions Forums > Discussion > The Foodee Board

Old 02-15-2008, 11:04 AM   #1
Ernest Nagel
is old

Ernest Nagel keeps pushing the rep limit!Ernest Nagel keeps pushing the rep limit!Ernest Nagel keeps pushing the rep limit!Ernest Nagel keeps pushing the rep limit!Ernest Nagel keeps pushing the rep limit!Ernest Nagel keeps pushing the rep limit!Ernest Nagel keeps pushing the rep limit!Ernest Nagel keeps pushing the rep limit!Ernest Nagel keeps pushing the rep limit!Ernest Nagel keeps pushing the rep limit!Ernest Nagel keeps pushing the rep limit!
Default kitchen fire safety

Not quite sure where to post this but I thought it was worthwhile. It's making the rounds rather quickly so I expect most of you have seen it and most of us know how to deal with this to begin with. Just the same I have an overly vivid conscience and don't need another thing to worry over - "what if someone I know could've been spared needless pain if they'd seen this?" Share it with your kids, maybe?

http://youtube.com/watch?v=LBWTqps7OE8
Old 02-15-2008, 04:41 PM   #2
moore2me
Lions don't need to spank

moore2me keeps pushing the rep limit!moore2me keeps pushing the rep limit!moore2me keeps pushing the rep limit!moore2me keeps pushing the rep limit!moore2me keeps pushing the rep limit!moore2me keeps pushing the rep limit!moore2me keeps pushing the rep limit!moore2me keeps pushing the rep limit!moore2me keeps pushing the rep limit!moore2me keeps pushing the rep limit!moore2me keeps pushing the rep limit!

Ernest - for those of us who cannot watch utube because we have a slow, pokey, old, dial-up modem - please give a simple written description.

Thanks. Moore2me
moore2me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 05:22 PM   #3
Ernest Nagel
is old

Ernest Nagel keeps pushing the rep limit!Ernest Nagel keeps pushing the rep limit!Ernest Nagel keeps pushing the rep limit!Ernest Nagel keeps pushing the rep limit!Ernest Nagel keeps pushing the rep limit!Ernest Nagel keeps pushing the rep limit!Ernest Nagel keeps pushing the rep limit!Ernest Nagel keeps pushing the rep limit!Ernest Nagel keeps pushing the rep limit!Ernest Nagel keeps pushing the rep limit!Ernest Nagel keeps pushing the rep limit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by moore2me View Post
Ernest - for those of us who cannot watch utube because we have a slow, pokey, old, dial-up modem - please give a simple written description.

Thanks. Moore2me
Oops. Sorry Deb, PM me and I'll e-mail you an mpeg, it'll just take a bit to download. Does this help any?

Subject: Kitchen Fire

I never realized that a wet dishcloth can be a "one size fits all" lid to cover a fire in a pan!

This is a dramatic video (30-seconds, very short) about how to deal with a common kitchen fire ... oil in a frying pan.
Read the following introduction, then watch the show ... It's a real eye-opener!

At the Fire Fighting Training school, they would demonstrate this with a deep-fat fryer set on the fire field. An instructor would don a fire suit and using an 8 oz cup at the end of a 10 foot pole, toss water onto the grease fire. The results got the attention of the students.

The water, being heavier than oil, sinks to the bottom where it instantly becomes superheated. The explosive force of the steam blows the burning oil up and out. On the open field, it became a thirty foot high fireball that resembled a nuclear blast. Inside the confines of a kitchen, the fireball hits the ceiling and fills the entire room.

Also, do not throw sugar or flour on a grease fire. One cup creates the explosive force of two sticks of dynamite. This is a powerful message --- watch the video and don't forget what you see. Tell your whole family about this video. Or better yet, send this to them.
Old 02-15-2008, 05:44 PM   #4
Just_Jen
Woot!

Just_Jen makes people happy simply by logging inJust_Jen makes people happy simply by logging inJust_Jen makes people happy simply by logging inJust_Jen makes people happy simply by logging inJust_Jen makes people happy simply by logging inJust_Jen makes people happy simply by logging inJust_Jen makes people happy simply by logging inJust_Jen makes people happy simply by logging inJust_Jen makes people happy simply by logging inJust_Jen makes people happy simply by logging in

ooh i knew this! well not the science behind it but still! i knew yay me *puts on safe student badge*
Just_Jen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 08:43 AM   #5
LoriS

LoriS has said some nice things

OOOOHHHHH I second the whole "don't throw flour on it" thing.

My whole life I kept a flour canister near the stove and thought if there was a grease fire that was what you were supposed to do- throw flour on it. (Apparently it's supposed to be baking soda, I was wrong). So then one day I had a grease fire in a pan. I grab a double handful of flour and throw it on the pan and BOOM... fireball. Now my ceiling is on fire. I was very fortunate not to burn down my apartment building or burn off my face.

So don't use flour! I have told this story to LOTS of people who also thought flour was what you use, and I shudder to think how many more people think so!
LoriS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 09:52 AM   #6
op user

op user can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokesop user can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokes

Besides the (wet or special) blanket what can we use? Do fire extinguishers -foam / dust type work better?

Time to retake my fire-fighting test!

op user
op user is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 11:02 PM   #7
HottiMegan
I'm a fat geek!

HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Mythbusters did a whole bunch of tests on those kinds of fires. It was amazing how big a flame a little bit of water could do!
I don't use more than a couple tablespoons of oil while cooking so i'm not too worried.
HottiMegan is offline   Reply With Quote