Dimensions Forums  
Home Register Premium Membership Stories Ye Olde Library Health Issues Market Place Big Fashion

Go Back   Dimensions Forums > Discussion > The Foodee Board

Old 12-08-2010, 09:12 PM   #1
chapelhillmensch
Bitchin' Camaro

chapelhillmensch is a member of the 500 clubchapelhillmensch is a member of the 500 clubchapelhillmensch is a member of the 500 clubchapelhillmensch is a member of the 500 clubchapelhillmensch is a member of the 500 clubchapelhillmensch is a member of the 500 club
Default Hasselback Potato Recipe (Great Holiday dish)

Here is a great potato recipe from Sweden. Although my Grandma never used Rosemary on top.

Hasselback Potatoes
What you need: potatoes (medium sized), breadcrumbs, fresh rosemary, butter and sea salt.
1. Preheat the oven to 425F
2. Peel and wash the potatoes.
3. Slice into the potatoes about 1/5 inch apart. Do not cut completely through! Top each potato with a small knob of butter and bake them in the oven for about 25 minutes.
4. Remove from the oven, and sprinkle each potato with breadcrumbs, sea salt and some rosemary (rosemary is untraditional, so if you want to stay true to the original recipe, just leave it out).. Again top each potato with a small knob of butter.
5. Bake for another 25-35 minutes (depending on the size of the potatoes) or until golden on the outside and soft on the inside. You can also turn the oven to broil for the last 5 minutes of cooking to get an extra crispy outside.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2010-11-24-HasselbackPotatoes4.jpg (61.0 KB, 215 views)
Old 12-08-2010, 09:53 PM   #2
spiritangel
AmandaClause

spiritangel keeps pushing the rep limit!spiritangel keeps pushing the rep limit!spiritangel keeps pushing the rep limit!spiritangel keeps pushing the rep limit!spiritangel keeps pushing the rep limit!spiritangel keeps pushing the rep limit!spiritangel keeps pushing the rep limit!spiritangel keeps pushing the rep limit!spiritangel keeps pushing the rep limit!spiritangel keeps pushing the rep limit!spiritangel keeps pushing the rep limit!

I first discovered these as a nigella recipe and can vouch for their yumm yumm goodness and moorish taste
although the version I had the recipe is different and involves frying the tatos in olive oil and butter then putting them in the pan in the oven

they are the best roast tatos ever!!!
Old 12-09-2010, 11:02 AM   #3
chapelhillmensch
Bitchin' Camaro

chapelhillmensch is a member of the 500 clubchapelhillmensch is a member of the 500 clubchapelhillmensch is a member of the 500 clubchapelhillmensch is a member of the 500 clubchapelhillmensch is a member of the 500 clubchapelhillmensch is a member of the 500 club

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiritangel View Post
I first discovered these as a nigella recipe and can vouch for their yumm yumm goodness and moorish taste
although the version I had the recipe is different and involves frying the tatos in olive oil and butter then putting them in the pan in the oven

they are the best roast tatos ever!!!

Well the Isle's were ruled for 400 years by Vikings....until King Cantue tired to stop the sea
Old 12-11-2010, 02:30 PM   #4
CastingPearls
Go Big Or Go Home

CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.

J--What kind of breadcrumbs do you use, seasoned or plain? Ever try panko?
I've seen Cajun or hot breadcrumbs somewhere too but I can also make my own I guess.

Free me, free yourself
A life of sacrifice controlled me
But those promises I made
No longer hold me
Mercurial more wayward by the hour
The shackles fall away I'm in your power

People throw rocks at things that shine.
CastingPearls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 05:31 PM   #5
Ruby Ripples
Dis Member

Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.

I made these once, years ago. But they took waaaay longer than it said in the cookery book, about two hours if I remember correctly. I used fairly big potatoes, though not like baking potato size. So be aware!
Ruby Ripples is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 06:35 PM   #6
smithnwesson
Drug dealer

smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

That looks yummy, sort of like Potatoes Anna (one of our fav's). We'll be sure to try it out.

Thanks! - Jim
Old 12-12-2010, 04:20 AM   #7
toni
In the know

toni has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!toni has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!toni has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!toni has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!toni has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!toni has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!toni has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!toni has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!toni has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!toni has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!toni has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Yummmmmmmmy!
toni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 06:06 AM   #8
spiritangel
AmandaClause

spiritangel keeps pushing the rep limit!spiritangel keeps pushing the rep limit!spiritangel keeps pushing the rep limit!spiritangel keeps pushing the rep limit!spiritangel keeps pushing the rep limit!spiritangel keeps pushing the rep limit!spiritangel keeps pushing the rep limit!spiritangel keeps pushing the rep limit!spiritangel keeps pushing the rep limit!spiritangel keeps pushing the rep limit!spiritangel keeps pushing the rep limit!

the best potatos to use are the chat or baby potatos well thats what they are called here anything bigger yeah can take forever but the end results are far far worth it
Old 12-12-2010, 11:24 AM   #9
CastingPearls
Go Big Or Go Home

CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Am I the only one who thinks they'd be super awesome with some cheese on top? The possibilities are endless.

Free me, free yourself
No longer hold me

Old 12-13-2010, 03:49 PM   #10
Ruby Ripples
Dis Member

Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooo

What is the American obsession with putting cheese on everything.
Old 12-13-2010, 03:52 PM   #11
CastingPearls
Go Big Or Go Home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruby Ripples View Post
Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooo

What is the American obsession with putting cheese on everything.
What is the Ruby Ripples obsession with blaming it on Americans? I'm half Italian and that half is screaming for Pecorino Romano and Fontina!!!!

Free me, free yourself
No longer hold me

Old 12-13-2010, 03:57 PM   #12
Ruby Ripples
Dis Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CastingPearls View Post
What is the Ruby Ripples obsession with blaming it on Americans? I'm half Italian and that half is screaming for Pecorino Romano and Fontina!!!!
Because the only people I see smothering everything in cheese are americans! lol.
Old 12-13-2010, 04:01 PM   #13
CastingPearls
Go Big Or Go Home

Quote:
Because the only people I see smothering everything in cheese are americans! lol.
Smothered? <gasp> I'm........so......wounded.....I said SOME cheese. The gallon of Cheese Whiz is set aside for nachos, Ruby. NACHOS!!!

Free me, free yourself
No longer hold me

Old 12-14-2010, 08:50 AM   #14
chapelhillmensch
Bitchin' Camaro

Quote:
Smothered? <gasp> I'm........so......wounded.....I said SOME cheese. The gallon of Cheese Whiz is set aside for nachos, Ruby. NACHOS!!!
Exactly!!!!

Ruby MY GOD WOMAN have you not had RO-TEL and Velveeta !?!?!?!?

Old 12-14-2010, 08:58 AM   #15
chapelhillmensch
Bitchin' Camaro

Quote:
Now come on....This is coming from the country who gave us Haggis?

I could say the only people I see smothering their food in marmalade and Festy Cock is you guys
Old 12-14-2010, 02:38 PM   #16
CastingPearls
Go Big Or Go Home

Say Festy Cock again, only with more feeling!!!

Free me, free yourself
No longer hold me

Old 12-16-2010, 10:22 AM   #17
Miss Vickie

Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chapelhillmensch View Post

I could say the only people I see smothering their food in marmalade and Festy Cock is you guys
I have no idea what "festy cock" is, but I know I want one.
Miss Vickie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 01:51 PM   #18
Ruby Ripples
Dis Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chapelhillmensch View Post

Never heard of...velveeta and rotel or whatever it's called lol. And no festy cock is on my food, whatever the heck that is!!

And haggis has nothing worse in it than your frankfurters have.
Old 12-16-2010, 02:17 PM   #19
mossystate
flicks a booger on conrad

mossystate has ascended what used to be the highest level.mossystate has ascended what used to be the highest level.mossystate has ascended what used to be the highest level.mossystate has ascended what used to be the highest level.mossystate has ascended what used to be the highest level.mossystate has ascended what used to be the highest level.mossystate has ascended what used to be the highest level.mossystate has ascended what used to be the highest level.mossystate has ascended what used to be the highest level.mossystate has ascended what used to be the highest level.mossystate has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Vickie View Post
I have no idea what "festy cock" is, but I know I want one.

You want cheese on that?

No?

mossystate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 12:29 AM   #20
Miss Vickie

Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mossystate View Post
You want cheese on that?

No?

Heh. No. I'm a relish girl, all the way. Of course, I also happen to love haggis, so what does that say about my taste buds?
Miss Vickie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 10:31 AM   #21
smithnwesson
Drug dealer

smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

OK. Will someone please tell me what 'Fiesty Cock' is?

Google was not my friend in this case: Got lots of hits but they all seemed to be .....errrrrr.... unrelated to this particular issue.

Is it like Spotted Dick?

I had some Haggis in Edinburgh a few years ago. It wasn't half bad -- the girl friend went to the lavatory and barfed and I got to sleep alone for a while -- but other than that, no problems.

Please. Help me out here, enquiring minds want to know. . .

Pm me if it's too nasty for public exposure.

Thanks in advance.

- Jim
Old 12-17-2010, 10:37 AM   #22
CastingPearls
Go Big Or Go Home

Since Mr. Chapelhillmensch hasn't been forthcoming with definitions and/or lascivious pictorial proof um..explanation, I did my own research. Voila:

Festy-cock -
(Noun) A ball of extra finely ground meal, wetted until it could be patted and rolled into a round shape, then roasted in the hot ashes from a mill kiln.

Usage: The festy-cock was eaten as a substitute for the cockerel at Shrovetide

(It still sounds dirty LOL)

Free me, free yourself
No longer hold me

Old 12-17-2010, 11:11 AM   #23
smithnwesson
Drug dealer

Quote:
Since Mr. Chapelhillmensch hasn't been forthcoming with definitions and/or lascivious pictorial proof um..explanation, I did my own research. Voila:

Festy-cock -
(Noun) A ball of extra finely ground meal, wetted until it could be patted and rolled into a round shape, then roasted in the hot ashes from a mill kiln.

Yes.

Thanks, CastingPearls.

"Waiter, we've decided on the roast beef and Yorkshire pud' and some roasted spuds. Thank you. And a coupla Guinness's. Thank you again."

-Jim
Old 12-20-2010, 03:11 AM   #24
chapelhillmensch
Bitchin' Camaro

Quote:

Festy-cock -

As usual you are correct. With that Brain to go along with your Looks ,need I say more,,,well maybe eating some of these potatoes with you with you

P.S. I always thought Festy Cock was something my Friend Jason caught in Juarez back in '88 before it went to Hell.