Dimensions Forums  
Home Register Premium Membership Health Issues Market Place Big Fashion

Go Back   Dimensions Forums > Discussion > BHM/FFA

Old 06-16-2006, 04:59 AM   #1
Kimbo

Kimbo has said some nice things
Wink (yet)Another book thread!!

Yes yes, I know I know.......this is a little 'off topic' and has also been done before.......but not for a while methinks, so I would like to start a book thread.

I suggest this can either be what we're reading now.....or recently......or even books that we think are so good we gotta let everyone know about it.

I have to admit, starting this thread is a little selfish of me, as I really want some ideas of good books to read.....but hey, at least I'm honest!!!

I shall dip my toe in the water with what I am reading now :

The Player of Games- Iain M Banks. Ok ish sci-fi .....bit of a time filler for me.
Overcoming Addiction - Michael Hardiman. Interesting read. mmmmm
Mao: The unknown Story- Jung Shang. Huuuuuge book and quite hard going at times..... but I wanna persevere with it cause it's interesting and I didn't know anything about this madman before I started!

There we go, over to you now...........

Old 06-16-2006, 06:54 AM   #2
JustPlainJim
Stop poking me!

JustPlainJim has super-sized repJustPlainJim has super-sized repJustPlainJim has super-sized repJustPlainJim has super-sized repJustPlainJim has super-sized rep

Hmm... the best books I've read...

"1984" George Orwell
"I, Robot" Issac Assimov (( After working with AI for a while you realize that some aprts were dead on and some parts were just... crap. Oh, and the Will Smith movie would have had a different title. >_> ))

"Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy": Douglas Adams (( Love his style ))
"The Art of War": Sun Tzu
"Tao of Jeet Kun Do": Bruce Lee (( Some good philosophy in there ))
JustPlainJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 08:49 AM   #3
Kimbo

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustPlainJim
Hmm... the best books I've read...

"1984" George Orwell
"I, Robot" Issac Assimov (( After working with AI for a while you realize that some aprts were dead on and some parts were just... crap. Oh, and the Will Smith movie would have had a different title. >_> ))

"Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy": Douglas Adams (( Love his style ))
"The Art of War": Sun Tzu
"Tao of Jeet Kun Do": Bruce Lee (( Some good philosophy in there ))
Hi Jim.......
1984..... what a classic book!!!
I,robot .....Again, another classic book..... I think I ahve read it at least 6 times!!
Hitchhiker's guide........ What did you think of the new film? Personally I liked it..... but I had to let it stand in it's own right and not compare it to the book, radio show or TV show.
Art of War...... I have tried soooooo many times to read this little gem but get bored. And yes, I totally understand it's my fault entirely.
Tao of...... sounds interesting, I'll look it up. Thanks mate
Old 06-16-2006, 11:23 AM   #4
JustPlainJim
Stop poking me!

JustPlainJim has super-sized repJustPlainJim has super-sized repJustPlainJim has super-sized repJustPlainJim has super-sized repJustPlainJim has super-sized rep

"1984" just made me all the more paranoid (read it just after Watching The Matrix.

H2G2... I know alot of people complained, but i loved the movie! I think that the had to "Americanize" some parts of it, but I don't think that's a bad thing. Though it does kinda kill off most of a "So Long and Thanks for All the Fish" movie, sicne the Earth's back already... and the dolphins come back. Blah.
I don't know. it's kinda like comparing the book and movie of "I, Robot" (though there are far FAR less moments where the two differ). They're both different, and both the same. Then again, the book differs from the records differes from the radio show differs from the comics differs from the game... ;P

"Art of War", I've mostly just skimmed, especially when playing games like Civilization or Dynasty Warriors. Some good strategies.

I picked up "Tao of Jeet Kun Do" hoping to learn more about Bruce Lee's fighting style... And found far far more. Most of the book reads more like life lessons and philosophy. Definitely a good read if you want something to make you look inside yourself.
JustPlainJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 01:17 PM   #5
BLUEeyedBanshee
Ministry of Truth

BLUEeyedBanshee has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!BLUEeyedBanshee has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!BLUEeyedBanshee has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!BLUEeyedBanshee has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!BLUEeyedBanshee has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!BLUEeyedBanshee has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!BLUEeyedBanshee has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!BLUEeyedBanshee has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!BLUEeyedBanshee has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!BLUEeyedBanshee has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!BLUEeyedBanshee has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!
Default Hmmm

Currently I'm reading a book "House of Leaves" by Mark Danielewski.

It's a bit experimental but I'm loving it.
Old 06-16-2006, 01:59 PM   #6
William
On Timeout

William makes people happy simply by logging inWilliam makes people happy simply by logging inWilliam makes people happy simply by logging inWilliam makes people happy simply by logging inWilliam makes people happy simply by logging inWilliam makes people happy simply by logging inWilliam makes people happy simply by logging inWilliam makes people happy simply by logging inWilliam makes people happy simply by logging in

I am reading "Altered Carbon" A Takeshi Kovacs novel by Richard K. Morgan

A Sci-Fi novel with a little "Sin City"

William

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLUEeyedBanshee
Currently I'm reading a book "House of Leaves" by Mark Danielewski.

It's a bit experimental but I'm loving it.
William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 02:47 PM   #7
pattycake
Wishin' 4 A Squishin'

pattycake can now change their title

I've just finished 'Fallen' by David Maine, which is a novelised retelling of the story of Cain and Abel. Quite interesting.
Other recommendations-
'Another Bullsh*t Night In Suck City' by Nick Flynn. (Autobiography of a man who met his father for the first time while working in a homeless shelter.)
'One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest' by Ken Kesey. (Found it cheap just after Christmas and loved it!)
'Sarah' by JT Leroy. (Based on his true life experiences as a 12 year old boy aspiring to follow in his mother's footsteps and be the best truck-stop whore in the State!)
Anything by Milan Kundera. (His books have been described as like 'having a really good conversation'.)
'What You make It' by Michael Marshall Smith. (Thought provoking sci-fi/futuristic short stories.)
'Guliver's Travels' by Jonathan Swift & 'Candide' by Voltaire.
'The Perfect Fool' by Stewert Lee.
'Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell' by Joanna Clark. (Slow to take off but gets going half way through. Don't let the 'magic' stuff put you off.)
pattycake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 03:20 PM   #8
fatkid420
On Timeout

fatkid420 can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokesfatkid420 can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokes

I just finished "The Tibetan Book of Living and Dying" by Sogyal Rinpoche, what an amazing read. Every one should read it, regardless of religious affiliation. Sagyol Rinpoche gives great insight into how to live your life so that you are ready to embrace death when your unexpected time comes.

Sogyal Rinpoche has written this book so that it is easily understood by anyone, even us Westerners, without compromising any of the Buddhist teachings it offers.

You don't have to be close to someone who has died for this book to be of benefit. I was initially put off by the title, thinking it morbid, but what this book taught me was that we will all die sooner or later, so we better start dealing with it. Once I started to realise this it was a tremendously freeing feeling, which allowed me to live more in the present moment and make the most of my life. This book has had a huge impact on my life and if you have never considered your impermeance then it will help you enormously.

In essence, we begin to die the moment we are born. We spend this life preparing to die well. Nothing is permanent, but we spend much of our lives filling our time with activities and pursuits that help us elude ourselves into thinking that what we see and touch is all that matters.

Sogyal Rinpoche says, "To follow the path of wisdom has never been more urgent or more difficult. Our society is dedicated almost entirely to the celebration of ego, with all its sad fantasies about success and power, and it celebrates those very forces of greed and ignorance that are destroying the planet. It has never been more difficult to hear the unflattering voice of the truth, and never more difficult, once having heard it, to follow it: because there is nothing in the world around us that supports our choice, and the entire society in which we live seems to negate every idea of sacredness or eternal meaning. So at the time of our most acute danger, when our very future is in doubt, we as human beings find ourselves at our most bewildered, and trapped in a nightmare of our own creation."

He writes about the importance of realizing the interconnectedness of all living beings (including nature), of meditation (and gives instructions and advice), of finding and being devoted to a good master (something very difficult for Westerners to accept -- he acknowledges that there are fraudulent ones about), of learning to live and learning to die, of letting go of egos and becoming egolessness. Throughout the book, he tells of female masters as well as males, something female readers may greatly appreciate.
fatkid420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 01:29 AM   #9
Kimbo

wow!

Thanks for all the great book ideas, I guess I am gonna go give my amazon account a beating now!! haha

Of all the books listed the only one I have read is the Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell one...... which I thought was great (if a little drawn out) How are you finding it Patty?
Old 06-19-2006, 09:13 AM   #10
pattycake
Wishin' 4 A Squishin'

pattycake can now change their title

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimbo
Of all the books listed the only one I have read is the Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell one...... which I thought was great (if a little drawn out) How are you finding it Patty?
I read it a while ago and I thought it was really boring at first but halfway through it got gripping and I thought it had a really satisfying ending! Not bad for her debut novel!
I'm just about to feed my amazon habit again with another Milan Kundera book and maybe 'Fast Food Nation' as I haven't read that yet.
pattycake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 05:07 AM   #11
Kimbo

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by pattycake
I read it a while ago and I thought it was really boring at first but halfway through it got gripping and I thought it had a really satisfying ending! Not bad for her debut novel!
I'm just about to feed my amazon habit again with another Milan Kundera book and maybe 'Fast Food Nation' as I haven't read that yet.

hahaha nice to meet another Amazon Junkie!!!
I know what you mean by the Mr Norrell book, it seemed to go on for ages and ages......and in the end I thought 'Damn it, I WILL finish this sodding book' and then, as you said, it got good!