Dimensions Forums  
Home Register Premium Membership Health Issues Market Place Big Fashion

Go Back   Dimensions Forums > Discussion > The Foodee Board

Old 12-20-2010, 04:13 PM   #1
SoVerySoft
No fat no flavor

SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.
Default Help! Need Chili Recipe TONIGHT!

Can anyone suggest one?

I can Google, but would prefer a recommendation. Have to add to my Peapod order by 11:59 PM ET.

Anyhow help would be much appreciated.

Thanks!
"Well," said Pooh, "what I like best --" and then he had to stop and think. Because although Eating Honey was a very good thing to do, there was a moment just before you began to eat it which was better than when you were, but he didn't know what it was called. - A.A. Milne
SoVerySoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 04:52 PM   #2
Indy

Indy can now change their title

I don't use a recipe but do like to use Brooks spicy beans, rotel tomatoes, onion, mexitel chile powder, ground beef. Add more spice if you like it really hot...
Indy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 05:06 PM   #3
MisticalMisty

MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.

This is mine!

Misty's Surprisingly Good Chili

Ingredients:

4 lbs hamburger meat
2 small onions-diced finely
2 1/2 jalapenos-diced finely
4 cloves of garlic-minced
4 TBSP Chili powder
3 TBSP Chipotle Chili powder
2 TBSP cumin
2 TBSP dried oregano
2 TBSP tomato paste
1 can rotel tomatoes
1 can beef broth
2 14 oz cans of tomato sauce
28 oz can crushed tomatoes
Garnish(es) of choice: I just use shredded cheese!

Directions:

In a large dutch oven, sautee onions and jalapenos in olive over medium heat until the onions are translucent, approx 5 mins. Add garlic and cook until fragrant about 1 min.

Now, here is the most important step, add in all spices and cook for 2 minutes. Add in hamburger meat and cook until no longer pink.

Once the meat is fully cooked, add tomato paste and stir to combine. After one minute, add in all other ingredients.

Bring to a rolling boil, reduce heat to low, cover and cook.

Now, here's where you have some options. The first time I made this I cooked it about 2 hours, put it in the fridge until the next day, skimmed off the fat and then warmed it up. OMG so good.

The last time I made it, I cooked it for 6 hours on simmer and followed the next steps. It seemed better with the longer cooking time.

So, your option is to cook it 2 hours or more. HOWEVER, you don't have the option of eating it the same day. Sorry, no can do. We all know that chili is much better the second day.

Enjoy

MisticalMisty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 05:37 PM   #4
SoVerySoft
No fat no flavor

SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Thanks, Misty and Deb. Yeah, I kinda thought I'd need to make it tomorrow night. I'm getting company on Wednesday night.

I will probably steal a little from various recipes.

Anyone ever use a chili kit? Peapod has Carroll Shelby's. I think I'm leaning towards just making my own.

I wish I had a slow cooker! grumble.

Still hoping for more recipes, just for more ideas.
"Well," said Pooh, "what I like best --" and then he had to stop and think. Because although Eating Honey was a very good thing to do, there was a moment just before you began to eat it which was better than when you were, but he didn't know what it was called. - A.A. Milne
Old 12-20-2010, 07:57 PM   #5
Dr. Feelgood
intellectual nerd

Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.
Default Pinto Bean Chili

This chili can be made in various ways, depending on how much time you have and assorted other factors.

The Best way:
Put 2 cups of pinto beans into a pot, add 5 cups water, bring to a boil, cover, turn down the heat, and simmer for three hours. Then follow directions below.

The Fast Way:
Use canned pinto or chili beans.

The Vegetarian Way:

1/2 cup chopped onion
1 Tbsp minced garlic
2 Tbsp your favorite oil (I prefer peanut)
2 cups (or 1 can) cooked pinto beans
1 cup (or 1/2 can) diced tomato (Ro-Tel is fine)
1 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp oregano
1/4 tsp thyme
1/4 tsp chili powder
dash hot pepper flakes (optional)
pinch sugar
1/2 cup (or 1/2 can) corn
1 cup Morningstar Farms burger or sausage crumbles (or 1/2 cup each, which is dynamite)
1 Tbsp soy sauce
1 tsp lemon juice
1 tsp balsamic vinegar
1-2 cups water, depending on how soupy or stout you want it

Saute the onions and garlic in the oil until soft. Combine everything, bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer 30 minutes. Serves 4.

The Carnivorous Way:

Eliminate the oil and substitute 1/2 lb. ground beef for the burger/sausage crumbles. Brown the beef, add the onion and garlic and cook in the beef grease. Drain the grease, combine everything, and simmer 30 minutes. Serves 4.

If There Are Leftovers:

Cook up some macaroni. In a skillet, saute 1/4 cup chopped onion, 1 tsp minced garlic, and 2 Tbsp chopped jalapenos. Lightly grease a baking dish and mix the macaroni, onion, garlic, and jalapenos therein. Spoon the leftover chili on top, grate a cup of your favorite cheese over that, and bake at 375 for about twenty minutes. Presto! Chili Mac!
'Bout fo' hundred pound...
-- Dr. Feelgood & the Interns
Dr. Feelgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 08:19 PM   #6
SoVerySoft
No fat no flavor

Thanks, Dr. F. So, why pinto over kidney? and are "chili beans" kidney?

And I love the leftovers idea.

Old 12-20-2010, 11:27 PM   #7
smithnwesson
Drug dealer

smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Dr F has got it. The only modifications that I can suggest are:

1 - Replace the hamburger with small cubes of beef (sirloin, eye-of-round, whatever). Cut the beef into about 1/2" cubes. This is more better, IMHO.

2 - Don't cook the pinto beans with the chili! Cook them separately and serve them as a side dish. Folks can mix them up if they wish -- it's easier to mix them than to unmix them. (The beans-in-chili is a regional thang. )

Either way, you won't go wrong.

Bon Appétit!

- Jim
Old 12-20-2010, 11:46 PM   #8
Fuzzy
Just a dirty old man

Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Pinto is the bean most used in refrieds. In the southwest, pinto is the chili bean, while in south the red kidney or red bean is the chili bean. I make a taco soup that uses red, pinto and black beans, however, my chili uses pinto beans; and most of the time, its from a can of Ranch Style Beans (tm) (just google it)

I've had chili that used lots to little, to no chili powder (new mexico chili powder, that is.) I've used the Carroll Shelby Chili kit too, btw.

My kid-pleasin', no alarm, green-horn chili recipe is:
1 lb ground lean beef, browned
2 cans Ranch Style Beans(tm)
1 8 oz. can tomato sauce + 1 can water
1 tablespoon plain yellow mustard
2 tablespoons Heinz ketchup
1 teaspoon dry oregano, crushed

Mix all, heat thoroughly. Serve with Fuzzy's Cornbread.

Last edited by Fuzzy; 12-20-2010 at 11:53 PM.
Fuzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 09:24 AM   #9
Dr. Feelgood
intellectual nerd

Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoVerySoft View Post
Thanks, Dr. F. So, why pinto over kidney? and are "chili beans" kidney?

Basically, pinto over kidney because I'm not fond of kidney beans. The great thing about chili, though, is that it is forgiving: you can cook it with any kind of bean or with no beans at all; if there's an ingredient you don't like, you can remove it or replace it and the chili will still be great! Like jazz, it's improvisational. If you make it several times, you will start to get new ideas for improving your recipe, and you will end up with a chili that is distinctly your own.

The "chili beans" I buy are called that on the can; they are neither pintos nor kidneys. In fact, they look suspiciously like the red beans of Cajun cuisine.
Old 12-22-2010, 06:07 PM   #10
EMH1701

EMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions community

I made a chili recipe the other year that tied for first place in a chili cooking contest at work for our potluck.

You take a couple cans of diced tomatoes, a can or two of beans of your choice, some tomato soup (I used Amy's organic), chopped eggplant, zucchini, diced onion, chopped red pepper, and add to it some basil, oregano, garlic, a handful of dried crushed chili peppers (the real deal, from the ethnic food section of the grocery store), a tablespoon or two of Frank's hot sauce, and a couple of crushed bay leaves. (I like spicy chili.)

Let cook in your pot for a good hour or so until the spices mingle together. You wouldn't think vegetarian chili would be that good, but the eggplant and zucchini add texture to it, so that it doesn't overly rely on the beans.

The real secret is to let the chili sit in your fridge in a covered container for a day. The next day, it will be even better. Chili is one of the few things that tastes better as leftovers.

If it's too spicy, you can always tone down the hot sauce or add sour cream and cheese.
EMH1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 07:00 PM   #11
SoVerySoft
No fat no flavor

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMH1701 View Post
I made a chili recipe the other year that tied for first place in a chili cooking contest at work for our potluck.
Sounds really good!

Mine came out ok. I put tomato paste in and I regret that. It made the whole thing taste flat. Not sure how else to describe it.
Old 12-22-2010, 07:14 PM   #12
Dr. Feelgood
intellectual nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoVerySoft View Post
Mine came out ok. I put tomato paste in and I regret that. It made the whole thing taste flat. Not sure how else to describe it.
My experience -- which may be very different from yours -- is that, when a recipe calls for x amount of tomato paste, it will taste even better if you substitute x amount of spaghetti sauce.
Old 12-22-2010, 07:41 PM   #13
SoVerySoft
No fat no flavor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Feelgood View Post
My experience -- which may be very different from yours -- is that, when a recipe calls for x amount of tomato paste, it will taste even better if you substitute x amount of spaghetti sauce.
I have to agree. I was thinking the same thing.
Old 12-23-2010, 10:33 AM   #14
lypeaches

lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

So, I'm a little late to the party...but just wanted to add my 2 cents...

Adding a pound of ground pork sausage really adds to the flavor (so, both steak, ground beef, AND pork.

A dark beer or some red wine is also a good addition.

Personally I don't like green herb's in my chili....tends to steer it in the way of a spaghetti sauce. Just cumin and assorted chili powders for me.

Also, if you're trying to eat more vegetables...throw in a can of pumpkin puree. I know, it sounds wierd, but the flavor really disappers into the chili, and it gives the chili that rich, thick mouth feel.....really great for making vegetarian chili.
lypeaches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 11:39 AM   #15
DitzyBrunette
"I'll never be sorry."

DitzyBrunette is a pillar of the Dimensions communityDitzyBrunette is a pillar of the Dimensions communityDitzyBrunette is a pillar of the Dimensions communityDitzyBrunette is a pillar of the Dimensions communityDitzyBrunette is a pillar of the Dimensions communityDitzyBrunette is a pillar of the Dimensions communityDitzyBrunette is a pillar of the Dimensions communityDitzyBrunette is a pillar of the Dimensions communityDitzyBrunette is a pillar of the Dimensions communityDitzyBrunette is a pillar of the Dimensions communityDitzyBrunette is a pillar of the Dimensions community

This is a great thread! One of my gifts today was a crock pot (yay!!!!) and first thing I did in my downtime was come to Dims, I knew I'd find great recipes in here. I can't wait to cook something in it, and by the sounds of these recipes I think first up is chili