Dimensions Forums  
Home Register Premium Membership Health Issues Market Place Big Fashion

Go Back   Dimensions Forums > Discussion > The Foodee Board

Old 01-12-2011, 04:30 PM   #1
Mishty
aluminum petunia

Mishty has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mishty has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mishty has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mishty has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mishty has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mishty has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mishty has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mishty has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mishty has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mishty has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mishty has ascended what used to be the highest level.
Default Five pounds of shrimp, and no idea what to do HELP!!!

Daddy bought five pounds of fresh Gulf shrimp not long ago and it's been in our freezer, well I'm feeling kinda adventurous, but really don't know how to prepare fresh shrimp, any ideas you guys might have, any simple recipes.... I'm leaning toward a shrimp scampi but not sure I can pull it off.

Their blue, their jumbo, and they have no heads.

halp
Well I ain't really falling asleep; I'm fading to black.
Mishty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 05:38 PM   #2
mossystate
flicks a booger on conrad

mossystate has ascended what used to be the highest level.mossystate has ascended what used to be the highest level.mossystate has ascended what used to be the highest level.mossystate has ascended what used to be the highest level.mossystate has ascended what used to be the highest level.mossystate has ascended what used to be the highest level.mossystate has ascended what used to be the highest level.mossystate has ascended what used to be the highest level.mossystate has ascended what used to be the highest level.mossystate has ascended what used to be the highest level.mossystate has ascended what used to be the highest level.

You have fresh garlic...butter...olive oil...red pepper flakes...parmesan...pasta?

You have dinner.
mossystate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 06:31 PM   #3
BigBrwnSugar1

BigBrwnSugar1 has super-sized repBigBrwnSugar1 has super-sized repBigBrwnSugar1 has super-sized repBigBrwnSugar1 has super-sized repBigBrwnSugar1 has super-sized rep
Default Paula Deen's BBQ Shrimp

The shrimp aren't actually BBQ'd in the usual sense but they are dad-gum good!

Fiery Cajun Shrimp Recipe courtesy Paula Deen

Yield: 8 servings

2 cups (4 sticks) melted butter
1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
2 tablespoons ground pepper
2 tablespoons hot sauce (recommended: Texas Pete)
4 cloves garlic, minced
2 teaspoons salt
5 pounds unpeeled medium shrimp
2 lemons, thinly sliced
French bread, for dipping

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
Stir together the butter, Worcestershire sauce, lemon juice, pepper, hot sauce, garlic, and salt. Pour half this mixture into a large heatproof dish. Layer half the shrimp and half the lemon slices in the dish; then form a second layer with the remaining shrimp and lemon slices, and pour remaining sauce into the dish. Bake, uncovered, for 20 minutes, or until the shrimp are pink, stirring twice. Pour off the sauce into individual serving dishes. Serve the shrimp with plenty of French bread for dipping in the spicy butter sauce.
BigBrwnSugar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 07:20 PM   #4
EMH1701

EMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions community

IMO make a serious seafood gumbo.

All you really need is okra, tomatoes, spices, and meat to put in it. Frank's hot sauce and salt are the perfect spices if you have nothing else.
EMH1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 07:57 PM   #5
spiritangel
AmandaClause

spiritangel keeps pushing the rep limit!spiritangel keeps pushing the rep limit!spiritangel keeps pushing the rep limit!spiritangel keeps pushing the rep limit!spiritangel keeps pushing the rep limit!spiritangel keeps pushing the rep limit!spiritangel keeps pushing the rep limit!spiritangel keeps pushing the rep limit!spiritangel keeps pushing the rep limit!spiritangel keeps pushing the rep limit!spiritangel keeps pushing the rep limit!

if you want seriously simple and tasty

do some diced garlic (to taste)

heat a generous amount of olive oil and butter in a fry pan

cook your garlic on low heat till it just starts to colour

toss in the shrimp and cook until it turns white

this only takes a few mins each side

serve with warm crusty bread
Old 01-12-2011, 10:01 PM   #6
Fuzzy
Just a dirty old man

Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Ooooh... that's a whole lotta shrimp... I take it that they're all frozen in the same container.
Old 01-13-2011, 11:38 AM   #7
deanbpm

deanbpm carries a lot of weight on this boarddeanbpm carries a lot of weight on this boarddeanbpm carries a lot of weight on this boarddeanbpm carries a lot of weight on this boarddeanbpm carries a lot of weight on this boarddeanbpm carries a lot of weight on this board

You can barbecue it, boil it, broil it, bake it, saute it. Dey's uh, shrimp-kabobs, shrimp creole, shrimp gumbo. Pan fried, deep fried, stir-fried. There's pineapple shrimp, lemon shrimp, coconut shrimp, pepper shrimp, shrimp soup, shrimp stew, shrimp salad, shrimp and potatoes, shrimp burger, shrimp sandwich. That- that's about it.

Old 01-13-2011, 12:03 PM   #8
olwen
Disco Bear

olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!

I third the shrimp gumbo.

There's also Shrimp etuffe: This dish is almost like a gravy that you eat over rice. Make it as spicy or as mild as you want.

butter, flour, celery, onion, green pepper, salt, black and cayenne pepper, bay leaves or bay leaves and old bay seasoning, shrimp, white wine or water or chicken stock.

Make a light brown or golden brown roux with the butter and flour. The roux should not be dark brown. Throw in the veggies and let em sweat. Add the seasonings, add enough liquid so it's still a bit thick. Let it simmer for about half an hour or until it reduces to the thickness you want it and the veggies are the texture you want. Last, add the cleaned shrimp, turn up the heat a little bit, let it cook for about three or four minutes. The shrimp should be tender and not rubbery. Serve over rice.
olwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 06:35 PM   #9
smithnwesson
Drug dealer

smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

The quickest and easiest:

Pour little vinegar, a little water, and some Old Bay Seasoning into a big pot. Bring it to a boil and dump in the shrimp. Stir every minute or so and steam them.

Peal them at the table and serve with melted butter and rice (and a veggie, if you're into that sort of thing).

All of the above recipes sound great.

Now I wants me some shrimp and I ain't got none and I just ate and it's almost bedtime.

- Jim
Old 01-13-2011, 06:46 PM   #10
CastingPearls
Go Big Or Go Home

CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smithnwesson View Post
The quickest and easiest:

Pour little vinegar, a little water, and some Old Bay Seasoning into a big pot. Bring it to a boil and dump in the shrimp. Stir every minute or so and steam them.

Peal them at the table and serve with melted butter and rice (and a veggie, if you're into that sort of thing).

All of the above recipes sound great.

Now I wants me some shrimp and I ain't got none and I just ate and it's almost bedtime.

- Jim
I would do the same but no butter...hot homemade cocktail sauce. Yum.

I'd make scampi with a lot of it though.

Free me, free yourself
A life of sacrifice controlled me
But those promises I made
No longer hold me
Mercurial more wayward by the hour
The shackles fall away I'm in your power

People throw rocks at things that shine.
CastingPearls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 07:32 PM   #11
Mishty
aluminum petunia

Mishty has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mishty has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mishty has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mishty has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mishty has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mishty has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mishty has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mishty has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mishty has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mishty has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mishty has ascended what used to be the highest level.

I made coconut shrimp last night with pineapple and onion salsa and coconut type tartar sauce. That was only one pound, next I'm trying gumbo, and then this awesome steamed recipe!

I just get nervous, cause it's so easy to over cook shrimp.

Elaine, homemade cocktail sauce? details.....
Well I ain't really falling asleep; I'm fading to black.
Mishty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 07:39 PM   #12
CastingPearls
Go Big Or Go Home

CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mishty View Post
I made coconut shrimp last night with pineapple and onion salsa and coconut type tartar sauce. That was only one pound, next I'm trying gumbo, and then this awesome steamed recipe!

I just get nervous, cause it's so easy to over cook shrimp.

Elaine, homemade cocktail sauce? details.....
LOL mine is pretty simple--ketchup, horseradish and a little fresh lemon juice.

Free me, free yourself
A life of sacrifice controlled me
But those promises I made
No longer hold me
Mercurial more wayward by the hour
The shackles fall away I'm in your power

People throw rocks at things that shine.
CastingPearls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 07:45 PM   #13
olwen
Disco Bear

olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!

gumbo tip:

When you cook the gumbo, put the shrimp in at the last minute, like a few minutes before your are ready to turn off the stove. Make the roux light. The general rule for gumbo is the darker the meat the darker the roux, least that's the way my family does it.

Actually, the way my mom and aunt make seafood gumbo is to skip the roux and start with butter and okra (like a stick of butter for a pound of okra) and stand there for thirty minutes stirring the okra till it turns to mush, then they add everything else. As it simmers it will get really thick. It's even thicker the next day. It's delicious even without the rice.

Last edited by olwen; 01-13-2011 at 07:48 PM.
olwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 08:30 PM   #14
smithnwesson
Drug dealer

smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Quote:
Originally Posted by olwen View Post
gumbo tip:

When you cook the gumbo, put the shrimp in at the last minute, like a few minutes before your are ready to turn off the stove. Make the roux light. The general rule for gumbo is the darker the meat the darker the roux, least that's the way my family does it.

Actually, the way my mom and aunt make seafood gumbo is to skip the roux and start with butter and okra (like a stick of butter for a pound of okra) and stand there for thirty minutes stirring the okra till it turns to mush, then they add everything else. As it simmers it will get really thick. It's even thicker the next day. It's delicious even without the rice.
Now I'm REALLY hungry and I've got an 0800 meeting tomorrow morning.

OMFG shrimp gumbo. . .

Have ya'll no hearts?

"Good night to the folks, Gracie."

-Jim
Old 01-13-2011, 09:46 PM   #15
Miss Vickie

Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mossystate View Post
You have fresh garlic...butter...olive oil...red pepper flakes...parmesan...pasta?

You have dinner.
Mmmmm. You're speaking my language. I think that's my favorite way to eat shrimp. Tossed with pasta, butter, olive oil and parmesan cheese. SO good.

Five pounds is a lot of shrimp to have to use all at once. Another one of my favorite things to do is briefly marinate it in something yummy like soy sauce, orange juice and ginger and garlic -- and thread it on skewers and grill it. It cooks super fast. It's also good in stir fry, or pan roasted with pepper and salt with homemade cocktail sauce (I saw a recipe on Barefoot Contessa I'm dying to try).
Miss Vickie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 10:50 PM   #16
jewels_mystery
Urban Hippie

jewels_mystery knows EXACTLY what's going onjewels_mystery knows EXACTLY what's going onjewels_mystery knows EXACTLY what's going onjewels_mystery knows EXACTLY what's going onjewels_mystery knows EXACTLY what's going onjewels_mystery knows EXACTLY what's going onjewels_mystery knows EXACTLY what's going on

I would make cajun shrimp alfredo. I made the following recipe and it was so good. http://www.food.com/recipe/cajun-shrimp-alfredo-179468
Old 01-15-2011, 05:05 AM   #17
Tracyarts

Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!

There are few things I like more than fresh shrimp. I am most satisfied to just boil it up in a pot with some crawfish and shrimp boil seasoning (the powder, not the liquid) and eat it just like that. If I have any kind of condiment at all with it to dip the peeled shrimp in, it's just some lemon juice or vinegar with all-purpose Cajun seasoning mixed in.

Shrimp ceviche is awesome but I'm wary of using raw shrimp in it when I make it myself. So, I boil the shrimp until they are just done, and toss them in the marinade/dressing. Which can be as easy as mixing some pico de gallo with lime juice, or you can make your own to taste. Lime juice, chopped red onion, chopped cilantro, chopped fresh jalapeno pepper, minced garlic, diced tomato, a little salt, and some diced up avocado if you like. Something similar is to make a cocktail sauce for boiled shrimp with a base of tomato sauce and ketchup (that way you get a little sweetness), add lime juice, minced jalapeno, chopped cilantro, minced red onion, diced tomato, and avocado if you like. I like to just mix up the shrimp with the cocktail sauce and serve it in an avocado half with crackers or tortilla chips on the side.

There's a shrimp and veggie dish I've made a few times with either broccoli, asparagus, or green beans, depending on what was in season at the market. You peel and prepare your raw shrimp for cooking (I always peel and de-vein as well as remove the tail but you can leave the tail, restaurants usually do). And then you get the vegetables cut into bite sized pieces. I always lightly steam or blanch the vegetables first because they're not going to be in the pan long (cook them as well done as you like, just don't cook them to mush or else they'll just fall apart), drain them, and set them aside while I get the rest of the dish going. I put some olive oil in a pan and saute a little crushed garlic and chopped onion, chopped shallot if I have it too. Just until it's transparent. As that's finishing up I add some herbs. Lemon thyme works great, but you could use plain thyme or any dried seasoning blend that works with seafood. Lemon pepper would be good if you like. You don't want to cook the herbs or seasoning blends so much as just heat them a little to release the oils. Then toss your shrimp in and kind of stir fry them until the're pink. Add the vegetables you've prepared and stir to coat with the oil and seasonings and just cook for a few minutes to get the flavors all combined. Take it off the heat, add lemon juice, salt, and pepper to taste, add hot red pepper flakes if you like too. It goes great with rice or pasta.

Another thing I do, is always save my shrimp heads (if I get them whole) and shells and use that to make stock for soups, and to cook the noodles and soak the wrappers in when I make spring rolls. If it's for an Asian style soup or spring rolls, I toss some ginger, cilantro, a piece of star anise, a few whole cloves, and some coriander seeds into the pot along with the shells and heads, cover with water, and bring to a boil and simmer for a half hour to an hour. No longer though. Strain and you have a great flavored stock that can be used right away or frozen. You can take that stock and add some noodles and shrimp for a basic soup. I like to add frozen chopped turnip greens as well for some color, texture, and flavor. For a non-Asian take on it, just put some onion and celery. Simmer for the same amount of time. I think you could use that with gumbo to boost the flavor.

Tracy
Old 01-17-2011, 02:29 PM   #18
knottyknicky
Hips like Cinderella

knottyknicky never has a post go unnoticedknottyknicky never has a post go unnoticedknottyknicky never has a post go unnoticedknottyknicky never has a post go unnoticedknottyknicky never has a post go unnoticedknottyknicky never has a post go unnoticedknottyknicky never has a post go unnoticed

oh god, make ceviche. for love of god, make ceviche.
knottyknicky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 11:51 PM   #19
smithnwesson
Drug dealer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jewels_mystery View Post
I would make cajun shrimp alfredo. I made the following recipe and it was so good. http://www.food.com/recipe/cajun-shrimp-alfredo-179468
Are you married?