Dimensions Forums  
Home Register Premium Membership Stories Ye Olde Library Health Issues Market Place Big Fashion

Go Back   Dimensions Forums > Discussion > The Foodee Board

Old 01-06-2011, 09:47 PM   #1
PamelaLois
ILL-INI

PamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions community
Default January Iron Foodee Challenge

Since Misty and I tied, we decided to submit an ingredient together. Oddly enough, the item we picked hasn't been used before, even though it's a very basic food item!

The ingredient for the month is.........

RICE!!!

So let us have it, your best recipes that include RICE!!! Any kind of rice. I want a rice cooker and I need recipes!!
Old 01-07-2011, 06:43 AM   #2
MisticalMisty

MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Here are the Past Challenges!

Past Iron Foodie Challenges

Dec - Oranges

Jan - Cream Cheese
Feb - Soda pop
Mar - Recipes containing a can of soup
Apr - Shrimp
May - Eggs
Jun - Liquor
Jul - Pasta/couscous etc Salads
Aug - Zucchini
Sep - Quick breads / Muffins
Oct - Cheese
Nov - Cranberries
Dec - Fudge

Jan - Slow Cooker Recipes
Feb - Potatoes
Mar - Garlic and Mushrooms
Apr - Chicken
May - Lemons
Jun - 30 min Hot Weather Recipes
Jul - Preserves - Jams, Chutneys, Relishes etc
Aug - Coffee
Sep - Tofu / Cottage Cheese
October - Pumpkin
November - Sweet Potatoes/Yams
December - Mint

January - Soup
February - Pork
March-Mexican Food
April - Cereal
May- Berries
June-Yogurt
July - Corn
August - Asian
September - Breakfast foods
October - Nuts
November - Onions
December - Meat in Casings

January - Side Salads
February - Spinach
March - Beans
April-hot sandwiches
May-Soy Sauce
June - cookies
July - Sour Cream
August - (Summer Break)
Sept - BBQ Foods.
October - Southern cuisine
November - Peanut butter
December-"Packaged Food"
MisticalMisty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 12:50 PM   #3
D_A_Bunny
www.peaceoneday.org

D_A_Bunny keeps pushing the rep limit!D_A_Bunny keeps pushing the rep limit!D_A_Bunny keeps pushing the rep limit!D_A_Bunny keeps pushing the rep limit!D_A_Bunny keeps pushing the rep limit!D_A_Bunny keeps pushing the rep limit!D_A_Bunny keeps pushing the rep limit!D_A_Bunny keeps pushing the rep limit!D_A_Bunny keeps pushing the rep limit!D_A_Bunny keeps pushing the rep limit!D_A_Bunny keeps pushing the rep limit!

Ooh, good choice ladies. I just tried a new recipe for Christmas Eve and it was great. It was great as a leftover as well. Here it is-

Wilma's Rice

Ingredients:

1/4 cup butter
1 cup onion chopped fine
4 cups cooked rice (use package directions to end up with 4 cups of rice)
2 cups sour cream
1 cup creamed cottage cheese (I used 4% small curd)
1 large bay leaf, crumbled
2 cans (4 oz each) green chiles
2 cups shredded cheddar (separated)
chopped fresh flat leaf parsley, appx 2 - 3 tbs
salt & pepper

Directions:

Cook rice as directed on package, set aside. In saute pan, cook onion in butter just until translucent. Remove pan from heat. Add the rest of ingredients to the pan, except shredded cheese, and stir. Salt and pepper to taste. (note: cheese will add more salty flavor when added). Add about 3/4 cup shredded cheddar to mixture. Pour into greased 13 x 9 casserole dish, or large round casserole. Sprinkle the remaining shredded cheddar on top. Bake at 375 degrees about 25 minutes until hot and bubbly and cheese is melted on top.

ENJOY!
Old 01-07-2011, 04:34 PM   #4
Dr. Feelgood
intellectual nerd

Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.
Default Southern Rice Salad

2 cups uncooked rice
1 cup chopped green onions
1 cup dill pickle relish (or chopped dill pickles)
1 cup sweet pickle relish (or chopped sweet pickles)
1 cup chopped celery
1 cup chopped bell pepper
1 cup chopped green olives (the kind with pimentos)
1 cup mayonnaise
3 Tbsp prepared mustard
1/4 tsp cayenne
2 tsp olive oil
2 tsp vinegar

Cook the rice and combine it with the veggies. In a separate bowl, combine the mayo, mustard, cayenne, oil, and vinegar. Mix it well into the rice/veggie mixture. Refrigerate. Serves a whole lotta folks. If you don't have a whole lotta folks, it keeps for well over a week.
'Bout fo' hundred pound...
-- Dr. Feelgood & the Interns
Dr. Feelgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 04:55 PM   #5
Alicia33
Southern Belle

Alicia33 is a member of the 500 clubAlicia33 is a member of the 500 clubAlicia33 is a member of the 500 clubAlicia33 is a member of the 500 clubAlicia33 is a member of the 500 clubAlicia33 is a member of the 500 club
Default Broccoli rice casserole

This makes small casserole, double for large.

1/2 stick of butter or margarine
1 onion chopped
1 package chopped broccoli
1 can cream of mushroom soup
2 stalks of celery
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese (use more if you like)
1 1/2 cups cooked rice (box instructions)
salt and pepper to taste

Saute onion and celery in margarine, combine onion and celery mixture, cooked rice, mushroom soup, broccoli, cheese, and salt and pepper. Cook at 350 degrees for 45 minutes.

This is so good! You could also add chicken or ham to make it a main dish

"Ain't nothin' wrong with lovin' chunky"
Alicia33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 05:21 PM   #6
EMH1701

EMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions community

Rice Gumbo

This makes a lot, so prepare to either freeze leftovers, or eat them

I used a really big stockpot for this.

4 cups rice, any variety you like
7 cups water
3 cans diced tomatoes (I use the fire-roasted organic ones, they taste really good)
1 bag frozen gumbo veggies (or just get a couple cans of okra)
1 pound spiced pork sausage (ground)
Several strips bacon, chopped
Handful or so diced onions
Creole seasonings (it's a blend, I found it at the supermarket)
Frank's hot sauce to taste
Spicy dried peppers, crumbled -- or you could use jalapenos
1 bottle dark beer (I used Guinness)

Just cook it up, and stir it every once in a while so it doesn't stick to the pot.
EMH1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 05:33 PM   #7
EMH1701

EMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions community

Also here's the Hopping John recipe from Joy of Cooking I made:

1 1/4 cups black-eyed peas
3 cups water
1 1/2 cups chopped onions
1 tbsp. minced garlic
4 ounces diced smoked ham
1/2 tsp. dried thyme
1/2 tsp. red pepper flakes
2 large bay leaves

Simmer that in a pot for 20-30 minutes, then drain (saving the cooking liquid) and remove the bay leaves. Salt & pepper to taste.

Add to the liquid 1/2 to 1 1/4 cups chicken stock.

Preheat oven to 325 degrees.

To the pot with the peas, add 2 tbsp. butter, 2-4 slices diced bacon, and stir in 1 1/2 cups rice and 1 tsp salt. Stir in the cooking liquid.

At this point, I transferred it to a casserole dish to bake for 20-25 minutes. I think I actually had to bake it for about 35 minutes, but the recipe says 25.

She also says to garnish with 1/4 cup minced parsley.
EMH1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 06:12 PM   #8
PamelaLois
ILL-INI

PamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions community

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alicia33 View Post
This makes small casserole, double for large.

1/2 stick of butter or margarine
1 onion chopped
1 package chopped broccoli
1 can cream of mushroom soup
2 stalks of celery
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese (use more if you like)
1 1/2 cups cooked rice (box instructions)
salt and pepper to taste

Saute onion and celery in margarine, combine onion and celery mixture, cooked rice, mushroom soup, broccoli, cheese, and salt and pepper. Cook at 350 degrees for 45 minutes.

This is so good! You could also add chicken or ham to make it a main dish
You beat me to it! Now I have to come up with another recipe!

Yours sounds better than mine, anyhow. I'm going to have to try it.
Old 01-07-2011, 09:48 PM   #9
Fuzzy
Just a dirty old man

Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.
Default Vegetable Pilau

A pilau is to Indian cuisine what a pilaf is to middle eastern.

2 cups uncooked basmati rice
2 tablespoons canola or olive oil
1 medium onion, diced
1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
1 green chile (jalopeno or serrano), minced
4 garlic cloves, minced
1 teaspoon cumin seeds
1 teaspoon fenugreek seeds
1/4 teaspoon ground tumeric
1 teaspoon salt
3 3/4 cups water
1 large carrot, peeled and diced
1 cup frozen peas
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro

Wash rice in several changes of water until the rince water runs clear. Drain.
In a large saucepan, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the onion, ginger, chile, garlic, cumin, fenugreek, and turmeric, and saute until the onion is golden and the spices fragrant, about 8 minutes. Add the rice and continue to saute until the rice appears dry and toasted, 3 to 5 minutes. Stir in salt, water, and carrot. Cover and bring rapidly to a boil, the reduce the heat to low and boil very gently until all the liquid has been absorbed 12 to 15 minutes.
Fluff the rice with a fork. Stir in the peas and cilantro. Dry the pot lid. Crumple a clean paper towel and place over the rice. Replaced dried lid. Set the rice aside for 5 minutes, then fluff again with a fork and serve hot.
Old 01-13-2011, 02:25 PM   #10
PamelaLois
ILL-INI

Mushroom and Peas Risotto

2 cups arborio rice
6 1/2 cups chicken or veggie broth
1 cup white wine
1/4 lb pancetta
1 onion
1/2 lb mushrooms
1 cup frozen peas
2 or more cloves garlic
generous pinch of saffron
salt, pepper, oregano, basil, parsley
1 cup parmesan cheese (use the good stuff not the green box junk)
Olive oil

While prepping the ingredients, put the broth and wine in a saucepan and heat to a simmer. It will need to be lightly boiling when you are ready to cook the risotto.

You will need all the ingredients ready when you start cooking, a classic mise-en-place recipe.

Dice the pancetta, chop the onion, crush the garlic, thaw the peas and slice the mushrooms in quarters.

In a large pan or wok, saute the pancetta til it's translucent, browning on the edges and has given up some of the fat. If needed, add a little olive oil so there's about 2 tbsp of fat in the pan. Add the onions and garlic and saute til transparent. Then add the mushrooms and peas and heat through. Add the herbs and saffron. Add the rice and cook til the rice is shiny, coated with the oils and slightly toasted.

Ladle one cup of the boiling broth into the rice and stir, stir, stir til the liquid is all taken up by the rice. Ladle 1/2 cup more broth and stir again til the liquid is absorbed. Continue this way, stirring constantly, 1/2 cup at a time til all the liquid is absorbed. This will take about 1/2 hour. The rice should be creamy and the grains should be al dente, not mushy. Taste and adjust the seasoning with salt and pepper if necessary. Turn off the heat and stir in 3/4 cup parmesan cheese.

Serve with a sprinkle of the remaining parmesan.

Variations are unlimited, substitute any veggies, meats or shellfish, just make sure the ratio is 2 cups rice to 7 1/2 cups liquid.
Old 01-17-2011, 12:17 PM   #11
BubbleButtBabe
No one cares anyway

BubbleButtBabe makes people happy simply by logging inBubbleButtBabe makes people happy simply by logging inBubbleButtBabe makes people happy simply by logging inBubbleButtBabe makes people happy simply by logging inBubbleButtBabe makes people happy simply by logging inBubbleButtBabe makes people happy simply by logging inBubbleButtBabe makes people happy simply by logging inBubbleButtBabe makes people happy simply by logging inBubbleButtBabe makes people happy simply by logging inBubbleButtBabe makes people happy simply by logging in

Easiest rice recipe I have..

2 boxes of Uncle Ben's brown and wild rice with mushrooms
1 pkg Smoked Sausage cut into bite size pieces

Mix the rice,dry pkg sauce and sausage together omitting the butter the rice calls for..Cook the rice and sausage per box instructions..It is really good together and I have it ever other week,its so fast and simple..

Only two miracles are worth seeing:
The miracle of loving
And
The miracle of forgiving-Sri Chinmoy
BubbleButtBabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 07:52 PM   #12
BBW Betty
Made My Saving Throw

BBW Betty has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!BBW Betty has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!BBW Betty has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!BBW Betty has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!BBW Betty has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!BBW Betty has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!BBW Betty has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!BBW Betty has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!BBW Betty has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!BBW Betty has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!BBW Betty has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Rice Pudding

(I haven't made this in a long time, and measurements are approximate)

2 - 3 cups cooked white rice
1 Cup raisins
1 can sweetened condensed milk
2 eggs
1/4 C. brown sugar
1 tsp cinnamon

Mix all ingredients and put into a casserole dish. Bake approx 45 min to 1 hour at 350.

Very good warm or cold.

"Be the change you want to see in the world." --Mahatma Gandhi
BBW Betty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 04:03 PM   #13
BBW Betty
Made My Saving Throw

BBW Betty has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!BBW Betty has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!BBW Betty has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!BBW Betty has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!BBW Betty has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!BBW Betty has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!BBW Betty has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!BBW Betty has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!BBW Betty has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!BBW Betty has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!BBW Betty has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBW Betty View Post
Rice Pudding

(I haven't made this in a long time, and measurements are approximate)

2 - 3 cups cooked white rice
1 Cup raisins
1 can sweetened condensed milk
2 eggs
1/4 C. brown sugar
1 tsp cinnamon

Mix all ingredients and put into a casserole dish. Bake approx 45 min to 1 hour at 350.

Very good warm or cold.
FWIW, I just made this with brown rice, and I like the texture better.

Old 01-23-2011, 08:15 PM   #14
one2one
Sentient little hedonist

one2one has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!one2one has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!one2one has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!one2one has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!one2one has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!one2one has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!one2one has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!one2one has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!one2one has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!one2one has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!one2one has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!
Default Saffron Rice

Saffron Rice

1/4 c. onion, diced
2 tbsp. butter or olive oil

2 c. chicken stock
a small pinch of saffron
1/2 tsp. sea salt
1/4 tsp. turmeric

1 c. long grain white rice

optional:
chopped parley
toasted pine nuts

In a sauce pan with a tight fitting lid, saute the onions in butter or olive oil. Add the chicken stock and the spices and bring it to a boil. Add rice, stir, cover and reduce heat to it's lowest setting; cook for 15 minutes. Remove from the heat and leave it covered for another 15 minutes. It will continue to steam and still be warm when it's done. Garnish with toasted pine nuts or parsley, if you like. It makes 3 cups of cooked rice or about 4 servings, depending in how much rice everyone likes.

A couple notes: Yes, you can use basmati. It will alter the flavor a little, and depending on what you serve it with that may be great. Go easy on the saffron, which can have a bitter, medicinal edge to the flavor if you use too much. The turmeric will boost the color and balance the flavor better than too much saffron. Prepared chicken stock or broth works if you have a good quality brand like Manischevitz or Kitchen Basics, but if you have homemade stock on hand, use that. It's much better.
Old 02-02-2011, 08:22 PM   #15
BBW Betty
Made My Saving Throw

Will there be a poll/ vote?

Old 02-02-2011, 08:23 PM   #16
PamelaLois
ILL-INI

I have no idea how to make a poll, will someone please tell me how, or do it.
Old 02-02-2011, 08:25 PM   #17
BBW Betty
Made My Saving Throw

It's been a while since I made one, but if you start a new thread, the option is in the "startup" part of it, and should be pretty easy to follow. I think it will ask you if you want a poll as part of the thread, and then you can list all the items.