Dimensions Forums  
Home Register Premium Membership Health Issues Market Place Big Fashion

Go Back   Dimensions Forums > Discussion > The Foodee Board

Old 02-06-2011, 05:58 PM   #51
olwen
Disco Bear

olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Eyed Fairy View Post
I found out this week that I am pre-diabetic and had to meet with a dietitian on Friday.
I'm a bit confused now about the low-carbing because she warned me to also limit animal fats- because those can give me insulin spikes, too.
Is it different as someone that is pre-diabetic than someone on insulin? (I have started taking metformin). I realize this isn't the health board but thought someone might have some input?
I am also pre-diabetic, but I don't need insulin. You still need to limit the amount of carbs you eat so you don't have spikes. If I eat too many carbs I feel icky. It was rather difficult to figure out what to eat at first, but after a while I got used to it. The nutritionist told me to stick to 45gm of carbs per meal. It works out to about 1/2 cup of cooked potatoes, rice, oatmeal. And two tblsp of cashew butter, jam, or something like that. Things like milk and cheese also have carbs. You just have to read the labels to estimate the amount you can eat. So for breakfast, for example, half a bagel with 2 tblsp of cream cheese is about 30 carbs. A 6oz container of honey flavored greek yogurt, plus the milk in a cup of coffee is about 37gm of carbs. carbs-information.com will give you the carb count for most foods.
olwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 06:53 PM   #52
EMH1701

EMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions community

Quote:
Originally Posted by olwen View Post
Gumbo is made with a lot of butter or oil and flour. The only way to make it low carb is to skip the roux and use a ton of okra as the thickener.
Interesting because I made a recipe I found online. It's just okra, tomatoes, seafood and rice. I also added some hot peppers to spice it up...was very tasty.
EMH1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 07:08 PM   #53
olwen
Disco Bear

olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMH1701 View Post
Interesting because I made a recipe I found online. It's just okra, tomatoes, seafood and rice. I also added some hot peppers to spice it up...was very tasty.
Traditionally, gumbo starts with a roux (how dark it is varies. I like it golden brown), then you add onion, peppers, celery, okra, tomatoes and spices, then the protein and you eat it over rice, and sprinkle a bit of gumbo file on top. You can make it thick without the roux if you saute the okra in butter until it turns to mush before you add anything else.

I'd love to see the recipe. Can you post a link?
Old 02-06-2011, 07:11 PM   #54
CastingPearls
Go Big Or Go Home

CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.

mmmm roux....I'd like to see that recipe too please!

Free me, free yourself
A life of sacrifice controlled me
But those promises I made
No longer hold me
Mercurial more wayward by the hour
The shackles fall away I'm in your power

People throw rocks at things that shine.
CastingPearls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 08:05 PM   #55
Green Eyed Fairy
Flash Dancing

Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
I am also pre-diabetic, but I don't need insulin. You still need to limit the amount of carbs you eat so you don't have spikes. If I eat too many carbs I feel icky. It was rather difficult to figure out what to eat at first, but after a while I got used to it. The nutritionist told me to stick to 45gm of carbs per meal. It works out to about 1/2 cup of cooked potatoes, rice, oatmeal. And two tblsp of cashew butter, jam, or something like that. Things like milk and cheese also have carbs. You just have to read the labels to estimate the amount you can eat. So for breakfast, for example, half a bagel with 2 tblsp of cream cheese is about 30 carbs. A 6oz container of honey flavored greek yogurt, plus the milk in a cup of coffee is about 37gm of carbs. carbs-information.com will give you the carb count for most foods.
Thanks O.
I don't require insulin either- the dr said metformin is good for us pre-diabetics, too.
The dietician gave the 45 percent carb rule, too....but she broke it down over three meals. What am I supposed to eat for the snacks she mentioned?

"The longing of my heart is a fairy portrait of myself: I want to be pretty; I want to eliminate facts and fill up the gap with charms."

"See these eyes so green, I can stare for a thousand years, Colder than the moon
It's been so long and I've been putting out fire with gasoline"
Green Eyed Fairy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 08:37 PM   #56
olwen
Disco Bear

Quote:
Thanks O.
I don't require insulin either- the dr said metformin is good for us pre-diabetics, too.
The dietician gave the 45 percent carb rule, too....but she broke it down over three meals. What am I supposed to eat for the snacks she mentioned?
My nutritionist did the same thing with me and broke it down into meal suggestions. She said that if I feel like a snack to have 15 carbs worth of something like nuts. It amounts to a handful of nuts. I got sick of cashews after a while tho, and I got those mini packs of Smart Puffs, which are 19gm of carbs. I'm also drinking a lot more coffee since it's supposed to be a carb free thing. I've even bought a bag of potato chips and separated them into baggies. Some fruits are low carb too like melons and berries.
Old 02-06-2011, 08:45 PM   #57
knottyknicky
Hips like Cinderella

knottyknicky never has a post go unnoticedknottyknicky never has a post go unnoticedknottyknicky never has a post go unnoticedknottyknicky never has a post go unnoticedknottyknicky never has a post go unnoticedknottyknicky never has a post go unnoticedknottyknicky never has a post go unnoticed

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisticalMisty View Post
Thanks babe. I don't want to do an Atkin's type thing..and just eat hoards of meat. I want to try to do more veggies, etc.

bjksdfblaksdhfklsahf Atkins is NOT hoards of meat Alksdfasdfjsadfkj.

Thats all.
knottyknicky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 05:06 AM   #58
MisticalMisty

MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by knottyknicky View Post
bjksdfblaksdhfklsahf Atkins is NOT hoards of meat Alksdfasdfjsadfkj.

Thats all.
It can be..especially on the first phase.

Caroline, the default carb amount for pre-diabetics seems to be 45 grams per meal. My suggestion is to get a meter and test. You may find that 45 is too high or not enough for you. Unfortunately, there's not a blanket answer since the disease effects everyone in such a different way.

BTW, I tried the shirataki noodles..bleck.
MisticalMisty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 07:28 AM   #59
knottyknicky
Hips like Cinderella

knottyknicky never has a post go unnoticedknottyknicky never has a post go unnoticedknottyknicky never has a post go unnoticedknottyknicky never has a post go unnoticedknottyknicky never has a post go unnoticedknottyknicky never has a post go unnoticedknottyknicky never has a post go unnoticed

You can even do Atkins as a vegetarian.

It can be loads of meat, sure, but it doesn't have to be. If you like meat, fine. I love meat...its the one food that my body physically craves. When I'm hungry, I need protein ASAP...all the potato chips/bread/pirates booty/fruit in the world will not satiate me, I need a chicken breast or some cheese. When I've done Atkins, I've had my share of meat but I get so tired of people equating atkins with bacon 24/7. Its just not the case. An omelette with veggies and cheese for breakfast, a ginormous salad with real salad dressing and shrimp, and a healthy portion of salmon with some veggies on the side for dinner...its not much more meat than the 'average' american, carb laden diet.

Then again, I never limit myself on veggies when I low carb, to an extent...I'm not going to anguish over my salad having 3 extra carbs if it means I can sneak in some extra avocado (healthy fats) or a few sunflower seeds. Any kind of dietary change has to be something that keeps you interested enough to sustain it over the long term, and constantly depriving yourself of things just leads to a failed effort.
Old 02-07-2011, 03:37 PM   #60
MisticalMisty

MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by knottyknicky View Post
*snip*
Then again, I never limit myself on veggies when I low carb, to an extent...I'm not going to anguish over my salad having 3 extra carbs if it means I can sneak in some extra avocado (healthy fats) or a few sunflower seeds. Any kind of dietary change has to be something that keeps you interested enough to sustain it over the long term, and constantly depriving yourself of things just leads to a failed effort.
That's great for you, but for some diabetics, 3 carbs can mean the difference between a normal reading and a huge spike...especially for me.

Not everyone follows a low carb diet for weight loss. However, it's great that people can adapt plans to fit their individual needs.
Old 02-07-2011, 04:41 PM   #61
EMH1701

EMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions community

Quote:
Traditionally, gumbo starts with a roux (how dark it is varies. I like it golden brown), then you add onion, peppers, celery, okra, tomatoes and spices, then the protein and you eat it over rice, and sprinkle a bit of gumbo file on top. You can make it thick without the roux if you saute the okra in butter until it turns to mush before you add anything else.

I'd love to see the recipe. Can you post a link?
http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/Low-C...o-m174138.aspx

It was similar to this except I used a variety of seafood and no peanut oil. I also had to use frozen okra, we don't get the fresh stuff in MN. I did use a lot of shrimp, and added some dried red peppers, a creole seasoning mix, and Frank's hot sauce. I also used wild rice...I love wild rice. IIRC, it's supposedly lower on the GI too.

I did try making roux for my second ever batch of gumbo. Had to Google how to make roux. Used whole wheat flour since that was all I had on hand. Turned out ok but I had to add some olive oil so it didn't clump with the butter.

Last edited by EMH1701; 02-07-2011 at 04:46 PM.
EMH1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 05:07 PM   #62
olwen
Disco Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMH1701 View Post
http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/Low-C...o-m174138.aspx

It was similar to this except I used a variety of seafood and no peanut oil. I also had to use frozen okra, we don't get the fresh stuff in MN. I did use a lot of shrimp, and added some dried red peppers, a creole seasoning mix, and Frank's hot sauce. I also used wild rice...I love wild rice. IIRC, it's supposedly lower on the GI too.

I did try making roux for my second ever batch of gumbo. Had to Google how to make roux. Used whole wheat flour since that was all I had on hand. Turned out ok but I had to add some olive oil so it didn't clump with the butter.
You did what?!? It is okay if it clumps a little bit. You need equal parts butter to equal parts flour. Or equal parts flour to equal parts oil. There is never a need to mix butter with oil. You just have to stir it continuously and watch it carefully so it doesn't burn. The second it's the color you want, add some veggies to it to make it stop turning dark. But using a roux will not give you a low carb gumbo. And a low carb gumbo wouldn't have a dark brown color since there is no roux.

I've never had gumbo that mixed seafood with other meats. Least, that's not the way we do it in my family. My mother would be squicked out by that recipe. We usually do sausage (kielbasa or boudin) with chicken, OR shrimp, oysters and crabs together. I suppose one could add whatever one wanted to it.
Old 02-07-2011, 05:32 PM   #63
Green Eyed Fairy
Flash Dancing

Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Thanks for the snack suggestions O

Misty, I read "normal range" on a diabetic meter- it's my A1C that put me into the "pre-diabetic" category.

"The longing of my heart is a fairy portrait of myself: I want to be pretty; I want to eliminate facts and fill up the gap with charms."

"See these eyes so green, I can stare for a thousand years, Colder than the moon
It's been so long and I've been putting out fire with gasoline"
Green Eyed Fairy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 05:45 PM   #64
MisticalMisty

Quote:
Thanks for the snack suggestions O

Misty, I read "normal range" on a diabetic meter- it's my A1C that put me into the "pre-diabetic" category.
If you take your numbers regularly, you'll probably discover that you have non-normal numbers sometimes. The A1C is a 3 month average.
Old 02-07-2011, 09:13 PM   #65
knottyknicky
Hips like Cinderella

Quote:
That's great for you, but for some diabetics, 3 carbs can mean the difference between a normal reading and a huge spike...especially for me.

Not everyone follows a low carb diet for weight loss. However, it's great that people can adapt plans to fit their individual needs.
Editing because I got my posts crossed...I read someone else talking about 45 carbs a meal (not exactly low carb) and got it mixed up with your original post.

Anyways, sure, 3 grams of carbs might make a huge difference to someone with blood sugar issues, though I never mentioned doing "atkins" for weight loss...I've done it for a variety of reasons (including controlling blood sugar levels). I never meant to imply that you or anyone else can play with your carbs, but it does sound like you might have a little more leeway than the typical atkins dieter if you're planning on going easy on the meat. I still stand by my point that you can do a totally vegetarian version of Atkins, if you're so inclined...but for you, you could certainly do it without eating loads of meat. I'm of the school of thought that meat just isn't as bad for us as we've been told, so it just kinda bugs me when people assume atkins or other low carb ways of eating are all meat, all the time. Sorry if I got a little jumpy, its a sore spot with me

Last edited by knottyknicky; 02-07-2011 at 09:21 PM.
Old 02-07-2011, 09:27 PM   #66
knottyknicky
Hips like Cinderella

Just to add...I dont know how many carbs you're planning on eating, but making sure you get enough protein/fat while doing a low carb diet is really important. You get your energy from fat and you need the high(er) amounts of protein to keep your body composition normal. Even if you don't go for meat, make sure you get plenty of protein by way of beans or tofu, etc.
Old 02-08-2011, 05:12 PM   #67
MisticalMisty

I think we should use this spot to post reviews of the low-carb products we try and either like or don't like..what do you think?

Maybe we can get SVS to change the title of the thread?
Old 02-08-2011, 06:32 PM   #68
olwen
Disco Bear

Isn't there already a thread for that?
Old 02-08-2011, 08:53 PM   #69
D_A_Bunny
www.peaceoneday.org

D_A_Bunny keeps pushing the rep limit!D_A_Bunny keeps pushing the rep limit!D_A_Bunny keeps pushing the rep limit!D_A_Bunny keeps pushing the rep limit!D_A_Bunny keeps pushing the rep limit!D_A_Bunny keeps pushing the rep limit!D_A_Bunny keeps pushing the rep limit!D_A_Bunny keeps pushing the rep limit!D_A_Bunny keeps pushing the rep limit!D_A_Bunny keeps pushing the rep limit!D_A_Bunny keeps pushing the rep limit!

Chobani yogurts come in 6 oz. cups that are flavored or plain. The flavored are of course higher in carbs. They run about 18 - 20 carbs and 14 grams of protein which is great. They are awesome. The plain is also delicious and can be purchased in the individual cups or a larger size which can be portioned out. I like the plain with some honey. Just delish!! I also love the flavors. Try them out.
Old 02-08-2011, 09:33 PM   #70
MisticalMisty

This is my new love! Sorry, I can't find a better picture. I buy the one in the milk fridge. I've tried the other one off the shelf and it's ok too..but I seem to get a better deal this way!

Anyways, it has 1 carb per serving..tastes like Milk to me....I don't drink it..but do pour it on my cereal. It's great.

Last edited by MisticalMisty; 02-08-2011 at 09:35 PM.
Old 02-08-2011, 09:35 PM   #71
CastingPearls
Go Big Or Go Home

CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
This is my new love! Sorry, I can't find a better picture. I buy the one in the milk fridge. I've tried the other one off the shelf and it's ok too..but I seem to get a better deal this way!

Anyways, it has 1 carb per serving..tastes like Milk to me....I don't drink it..but do pour it on my cereal. It's great.

I just had it poured over sliced strawberries.

Free me, free yourself
A life of sacrifice controlled me
But those promises I made
No longer hold me
Mercurial more wayward by the hour
The shackles fall away I'm in your power

People throw rocks at things that shine.
CastingPearls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 10:39 PM   #72
olwen
Disco Bear

I have been meaning to try both almond milk and rice milk. Maybe I'll buy a small container of each this weekend. Soy milk makes me throw up so I won't be having that.
Old 02-09-2011, 05:10 AM   #73
MisticalMisty

Quote:
I have been meaning to try both almond milk and rice milk. Maybe I'll buy a small container of each this weekend. Soy milk makes me throw up so I won't be having that.
I haven't tried rice milk, but I really was impressed with the almond milk!
Old 02-09-2011, 06:29 AM   #74
crayola box

crayola box knows EXACTLY what's going oncrayola box knows EXACTLY what's going oncrayola box knows EXACTLY what's going oncrayola box knows EXACTLY what's going oncrayola box knows EXACTLY what's going oncrayola box knows EXACTLY what's going oncrayola box knows EXACTLY what's going on

I love almond milk, haven't tried rice milk b/c it isn't very nutritious, but it is easy to digest for anyone who is looking for that type of thing...

Agree- Chobani= yummy
crayola box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 06:38 AM   #75
LillyBBBW
Wig Snatcher

LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Isn't there already a thread for that?
Where is it? I've never seen one. Seems like a seperate thread would be a little redundant but I'd love to see it if it exists. Maybe the two can be combined.

ETA: also if anyone could help me with this one. What's the deal with tapioca? Some low carb recipes that I've encountered usually require tapioca to thicken sauces and broth. Is tapioca low carb or is it simply lower in carbs than using flour?

"...If the only pain you recognize as valid is your own, of course you'll have trouble identifying it when you see it in other people. That's the trouble with narcissism. It makes you really inadequate and boring."

Have you hugged a fat girl today?

@~;~~

Last edited by LillyBBBW; 02-09-2011 at 06:44 AM.
LillyBBBW is offline   Reply With Quote