Dimensions Forums  
Home Register Premium Membership Stories Ye Olde Library Health Issues Market Place Big Fashion

Go Back   Dimensions Forums > Discussion > BBW Forum

Old 04-05-2010, 01:18 PM   #26
Risible
Monkey Daze

Risible keeps pushing the rep limit!Risible keeps pushing the rep limit!Risible keeps pushing the rep limit!Risible keeps pushing the rep limit!Risible keeps pushing the rep limit!Risible keeps pushing the rep limit!Risible keeps pushing the rep limit!Risible keeps pushing the rep limit!Risible keeps pushing the rep limit!Risible keeps pushing the rep limit!Risible keeps pushing the rep limit!

Aris, this is so cool! Thanks for posting this; it inspires me! You look very in control on your trusty mount!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosebud View Post
Thank you, Aris. This is great information and will hopefully inspire more people to try riding. Horseback riding is great fun, and also fantastic passive exercise. An average horse weighs about 1100 pounds and will be able to carry most riders with little difficulty. For those of us over 300 pounds, a draft horse is in order (they run 1400 to 2000 pounds), but it isn't easy to find one that is trained to carry a rider.

I grew up on horses, and my big naughty pony never seemed to mind carrying me anywhere, but back then neither of us knew there was a weight limit. I think I last rode twenty years ago, when I was about 300 pounds... I just happened upon a stable where they had a beast no one wanted to ride. He was half draft horse, stocky with a huge head (about half trained and possibly not terribly bright) and was perfect for me. Riding him was like straddling a minivan for a few hours.

Now, a half Clydesdale won't do the trick. I need an upgrade to a full-size draft horse. Maybe this thread will help locate that elusive stable with saddle-broke draft horses!
It's been a while since I've last ridden, but I used to ride whenever I got the chance, mostly rental horses, though. Grew up in the city, where owning a horse is pretty expensive.

It's been a lifelong dream of mine to own my own horse - if we ever move to the country, which I'd loooove to do, I'd get a Fresian. What do you think of that breed for a fatty, Rosebud?

Risible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 05:32 PM   #27
MizzSnakeBite
Taking a Break From Here

MizzSnakeBite has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MizzSnakeBite has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MizzSnakeBite has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MizzSnakeBite has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MizzSnakeBite has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MizzSnakeBite has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MizzSnakeBite has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MizzSnakeBite has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MizzSnakeBite has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MizzSnakeBite has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MizzSnakeBite has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saoirse View Post
Dont mean to jack your thread, LMGirl...

me on Romeo
What a great pic! He's a handsome lad!

"Hope is a thing with feathers, that perches in the soul, and sings the tune without words, and never stops at all."
Emily Dickinson
MizzSnakeBite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 08:38 PM   #28
Rosebud
Irresponsible Fatty

Rosebud is a member of the 500 clubRosebud is a member of the 500 clubRosebud is a member of the 500 clubRosebud is a member of the 500 clubRosebud is a member of the 500 clubRosebud is a member of the 500 club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Risible View Post
What do you think of that breed for a fatty, Rosebud?
They are beautiful horses! I've never met one in person, though. I imagine it would be a memorable experience. I was looking for a weight on the Friesians, and couldn't find anything specific. I did find them classified as "light horses" which means they weigh under 1500 pounds. There are two kinds of Friesians: the old working version and the newer sportier version. Since the older Friesians were used to carry knights into battle (with all their armor and accoutrements), I imagine they are better able to carry us with relative ease.

The other things I noticed are that they are not as tall as most draft horses (so they should be easier to mount) and their hoofs are much smaller. I'm not sure it makes a huge amount of difference in the long run, but keeping your toes out from under a small hoof would be much easier than keeping them out from under some of the dinner-plate sized hooves I've seen. Nobody wants 1500 pounds of horse on their foot!

I hope you are able to get one some day. In my research, I found myself shopping for mares. If I can find $15,000 and a way to fit a stable in my 15x30 foot yard...
Rosebud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 09:15 AM   #29
Risible
Monkey Daze

Risible keeps pushing the rep limit!Risible keeps pushing the rep limit!Risible keeps pushing the rep limit!Risible keeps pushing the rep limit!Risible keeps pushing the rep limit!Risible keeps pushing the rep limit!Risible keeps pushing the rep limit!Risible keeps pushing the rep limit!Risible keeps pushing the rep limit!Risible keeps pushing the rep limit!Risible keeps pushing the rep limit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosebud View Post
They are beautiful horses! I've never met one in person, though. I imagine it would be a memorable experience. I was looking for a weight on the Friesians, and couldn't find anything specific. I did find them classified as "light horses" which means they weigh under 1500 pounds. There are two kinds of Friesians: the old working version and the newer sportier version. Since the older Friesians were used to carry knights into battle (with all their armor and accoutrements), I imagine they are better able to carry us with relative ease.

The other things I noticed are that they are not as tall as most draft horses (so they should be easier to mount) and their hoofs are much smaller. I'm not sure it makes a huge amount of difference in the long run, but keeping your toes out from under a small hoof would be much easier than keeping them out from under some of the dinner-plate sized hooves I've seen. Nobody wants 1500 pounds of horse on their foot!

I hope you are able to get one some day. In my research, I found myself shopping for mares. If I can find $15,000 and a way to fit a stable in my 15x30 foot yard...
$15k - well, that's not a problem. AS SOON AS I WIN THE LOTTERY!

Yeah, they're a beauty, a pricey beauty. Thanks for the feedback.

Risible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 07:08 PM   #30
Tania
Disneyland Bobsled Team

Tania has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Tania has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Tania has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Tania has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Tania has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Tania has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Tania has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Tania has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Tania has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Tania has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Tania has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

For reals - horses are expensive prospects! Even weekly lessons and cheesy kid horseshows become crazy money. I've never owned my own horse, yet my mom and I collectively dropped a massive hunk of coin on my equine exploits over the years. In college my friend Amy and I spent something like $50/hour EACH for advanced group lessons.

~ The Cure

"She will never submit to any thing requiring industry and patience, and a subjection of the fancy to the understanding."
~ Mr. Knightley on Emma, Jane Austen's Emma
Tania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 10:13 PM   #31
intraultra
big monster lover

intraultra makes people happy simply by logging inintraultra makes people happy simply by logging inintraultra makes people happy simply by logging inintraultra makes people happy simply by logging inintraultra makes people happy simply by logging inintraultra makes people happy simply by logging inintraultra makes people happy simply by logging inintraultra makes people happy simply by logging in

This is awesome. I LOVE the pictures.

I had a couple lessons like 10 years ago. I can still remember the pain afterwards!
intraultra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 08:46 PM   #32
Vespertine

Vespertine carries a lot of weight on this boardVespertine carries a lot of weight on this boardVespertine carries a lot of weight on this boardVespertine carries a lot of weight on this boardVespertine carries a lot of weight on this boardVespertine carries a lot of weight on this board

Awesome happy thread! I love the pics! It looks like that horse was relaxed with you, looks like a Percheron/quarter horse cross? And your face is just full of horsey joy

I've been getting back into horses...not riding yet but starting volunteer work at a rescue just to get back into things. I rode a lot as a chubby kid- on the back of a horse, I felt like nothing. It's a bit different now!

While a horse may only carry 20% of their weight including tack, its a guideline and there should be consideration to conformation. Horses with long backs, as pure draft breeds tend to have, are not the best choice. A short backed draft or a draft cross with thick legs is best for heavier riders, even if the horse weighs less. Yes a baroque Friesian (about 1800 pounds) has ideal conformation for us, who wants to start up a lotto pool?

Good muscling and large good feet help any horse carry a rider better too. Also, a heavy rider with good equitation will be easier to carry than a smaller person who is inexperienced, bounces around, etc.

I've found riding stables will often keep (or can easily source) one drafty cross for larger riders, its definitely worth calling ahead for if anyone is interested. Also never fear most if not all stables will have a mounting block!

Last edited by Vespertine; 04-13-2010 at 09:01 PM. Reason: random words
Vespertine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 10:00 PM   #33
gangstadawg
the wanderer

gangstadawg has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!gangstadawg has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!gangstadawg has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!gangstadawg has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!gangstadawg has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!gangstadawg has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!gangstadawg has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!gangstadawg has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!gangstadawg has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!gangstadawg has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!gangstadawg has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lipmixgirl View Post
it feels great to not only share my 1st lesson with you all, but to get such positive feedback! thank you so much!

as you can see, fatties can go horseback riding too!!!

for those interested, you must know that a rider may only weigh up to 20% of the total weight of the horse.

i.e. 200 lb rider = 1,000+ lb horse
250 lb rider = 1,250+ lb horse
300lb rider = 1,500+ lb horse
350 lb rider = 1,750+ lb horse
400 lb rider = 2,000+ lb horse

big rider = big horse!

the big apple has spoken...
::exeunt::
i didnt know about this info. thanks.
gangstadawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 02:31 AM   #34
wrench13
Pirate music for sail

Location: In New York City, formerly the big Apple, now the Big Target
wrench13 knows EXACTLY what's going onwrench13 knows EXACTLY what's going onwrench13 knows EXACTLY what's going onwrench13 knows EXACTLY what's going onwrench13 knows EXACTLY what's going onwrench13 knows EXACTLY what's going on

I was a wrangler at a dude ranch for 3 years. We NEVER turned anyone away for size considerations. Most ranches have a wide array of livestock and a good 16 hand horse could handle just about anyone on these boards. Horses, if you don't know, are un-Godly strong ( hence the phrase strong as a hourse). I saw a 14 hand horse ( not very big) pick up a hundred pound bag of grain in it's teeth, and go prancing around the barn, capering like a foal. Riding does give you a work out, in muscles not normally used in every day life, so go slow and build up to a full hours ride. Good idea to read a book on riding technique , as there is a lot to lern to command a horse properly - you don't want to just sit on his back like a sack. Balance and leg inputs are important and give the horse confidence that you know what your doing. Even old hack horses are capable of giving a good ride, if you know the basics.

From a former wrangler , who spent 7 hours a day, six days a week in the saddle.
Old 04-25-2010, 05:45 PM   #35
lipmixgirl
Mayor of Fatopia

lipmixgirl has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lipmixgirl has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lipmixgirl has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lipmixgirl has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lipmixgirl has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lipmixgirl has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lipmixgirl has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lipmixgirl has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lipmixgirl has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lipmixgirl has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lipmixgirl has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!
Exclamation update!

thanks vespertine and ranch13!

i am so pleased that i have stirred new interest in horseback riding for fatties! VIVA!

anywho, i thought you all might like to know that i am planning a 2nd lesson for may!!!!

i'll keep you posted!

"never argue with the mothers..." – Shivs

The Big Apple in The Big Apple...

"Do your Fat Civic Duty daily!"
-
Aris - Mayor of Fatopia

condom faerie, panty faerie, bikini faerie, adipositivity faerie, snack faerie...
aris - bringing fat happiness to you...

lipmixgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 06:12 PM   #36
1love_emily
COLLEGE

1love_emily has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!1love_emily has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!1love_emily has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!1love_emily has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!1love_emily has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!1love_emily has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!1love_emily has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!1love_emily has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!1love_emily has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!1love_emily has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!1love_emily has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!
Default Saddle up girls

I keep seeing posts about "wanting to be skinny enough to ride again"

I'm 305+ and I ride twice a week. I own the most loyal, strong, and trying horse in the world, Red. I've had him through my heaviest and my lightest.

He always lets me on and never shows and weakness.

Just go! Just try it. It probably won't hurt the horse. Just try... please! I've been riding horses forever, and it is probably one of the few times a week when I can't let me weight bring me down.

Hell, Red and I can fly.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HbyYfqXo65w

this is us from a couple years ago, when I was my largest, at 320ish

Love, Emily
1love_emily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 06:57 PM   #37
Adrian
??

Adrian makes people happy simply by logging inAdrian makes people happy simply by logging inAdrian makes people happy simply by logging inAdrian makes people happy simply by logging inAdrian makes people happy simply by logging inAdrian makes people happy simply by logging inAdrian makes people happy simply by logging inAdrian makes people happy simply by logging inAdrian makes people happy simply by logging in
Default Re: big girl! big horse! aris' horseback riding adventure!

Sorry, I messed up! -Adrian

Last edited by Adrian; 01-01-2011 at 07:07 PM.
Adrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 07:06 PM   #38
Adrian
??

Adrian makes people happy simply by logging inAdrian makes people happy simply by logging inAdrian makes people happy simply by logging inAdrian makes people happy simply by logging inAdrian makes people happy simply by logging inAdrian makes people happy simply by logging inAdrian makes people happy simply by logging inAdrian makes people happy simply by logging inAdrian makes people happy simply by logging in

This picture goes back a few decades! My wife just got her horse out of the trailer and heading for the gathering area with her other friends to ride in the Four of July parade in Redwood City, Calif.
(I had to pick up and holding my three little daughters so they could see Mommy ride her horse in the parade, so I don't have any pictures of her actually riding in the parade.)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1970_Jackie_E-m.jpg (32.8 KB, 216 views)
Old 03-05-2011, 05:04 PM   #39
1love_emily
COLLEGE

1love_emily has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!1love_emily has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!1love_emily has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!1love_emily has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!1love_emily has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!1love_emily has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!1love_emily has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!1love_emily has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!1love_emily has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!1love_emily has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!1love_emily has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!
Default Emily's Recent Riding

Me and Red just today

Love, Emily
1love_emily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 07:03 AM   #40
Filly
Searching Restlessly

Filly can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokesFilly can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokesFilly can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokes

LOVE THIS!!!!!!

I also used to ride a LOT when I was younger. My family still breeds horses today.

It's good to know the 20% rule. Maybe this year I will look into the idea.

Thankyou to all those who posted pics of them with their horses!!! Maybe I'll take some with me and my horse (who is as old as me, and retired) and post them here also

BTW Aris you F-ing rock.
Old 03-07-2011, 06:13 AM   #41
PunkyGurly74
History wonkette

PunkyGurly74 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!PunkyGurly74 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!PunkyGurly74 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!PunkyGurly74 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!PunkyGurly74 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!PunkyGurly74 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!PunkyGurly74 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!PunkyGurly74 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!PunkyGurly74 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!PunkyGurly74 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!PunkyGurly74 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

I have never been around horses....so, I'm a little timid..

However, last Jan, my old yellow lab and I were on the bike path. There is a part we walk where an approx 2k lb Percheron named Toby lives and works pulling a carriage in Granville (best pic I could find of Toby: http://www.partypop.com/Vendors/4260911.htm)...and Max had never paid a bit of attention..some of the other dogs we were walking with barked at Toby...he ignored him..

However, Max, limping in all his 12.5 years...110lbs (he was a very tall lab too) down a little incline and to this rusted fence and Toby leans his HUGE head down to Max and nudges him and licked him...I only got one photo on a crummy camera phone and even from my distance you can see how striking the size difference is....that day...I have wanted to ride a horse ... and I never thought I could...so, thanks!!

Below is a pic of Max with Toby - the quality is horrible - sorry.

I'm not aware of too many things. I know what I know if you know what I mean. Do ya?
PunkyGurly74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 10:11 AM   #42
snuggletiger
Clowns Fear Me

snuggletiger has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!snuggletiger has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!snuggletiger has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!snuggletiger has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!snuggletiger has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!snuggletiger has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!snuggletiger has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!snuggletiger has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!snuggletiger has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!snuggletiger has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!snuggletiger has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

what a cute pic of the horse and doggy saying hi
Old 03-07-2011, 10:08 PM   #43
LalaCity

LalaCity keeps pushing the rep limit!LalaCity keeps pushing the rep limit!LalaCity keeps pushing the rep limit!LalaCity keeps pushing the rep limit!LalaCity keeps pushing the rep limit!LalaCity keeps pushing the rep limit!LalaCity keeps pushing the rep limit!LalaCity keeps pushing the rep limit!LalaCity keeps pushing the rep limit!LalaCity keeps pushing the rep limit!LalaCity keeps pushing the rep limit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lipmixgirl View Post
it feels great to not only share my 1st lesson with you all, but to get such positive feedback! thank you so much!

as you can see, fatties can go horseback riding too!!!

for those interested, you must know that a rider may only weigh up to 20% of the total weight of the horse.

i.e. 200 lb rider = 1,000+ lb horse
250 lb rider = 1,250+ lb horse
300lb rider = 1,500+ lb horse
350 lb rider = 1,750+ lb horse
400 lb rider = 2,000+ lb horse

big rider = big horse!

the big apple has spoken...
::exeunt::
Great to know! I've always wanted to try it but figured I'd break the poor horse's back!

I must admit, though, I didn't know that horses could reach a weight of 2000 lbs! Apparently Clydesdales do, and they can be ridden just like any other horse (something I didn't know, either!).

Last edited by LalaCity; 03-07-2011 at 10:17 PM.
LalaCity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 01:32 AM   #44
Adrian
??

While checking through family pictures, I discovered I did take one picture of my wife in the parade. My wife is the BBW in the middle of the picture riding her appaloosa horse.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1971_Jackie-Parade_E-m.jpg (86.9 KB, 58 views)