Dimensions Forums  
Home Register Premium Membership Stories Ye Olde Library Health Issues Market Place Big Fashion

Go Back   Dimensions Forums > Discussion > The Foodee Board

Old 03-15-2011, 10:20 PM   #1
DesignAddict
Yeah, you like it...

DesignAddict can now change their title
Default Calling all Chefs: What is your Signature Dish?

Mine is a creamy béchamel made with some select seasonings and cheeses over veal tortellini topped with sautéd Porcini mushrooms. If you ever get the chance at it you'll love me forever!
Old 03-16-2011, 11:21 AM   #2
knottyknicky
Hips like Cinderella

knottyknicky never has a post go unnoticedknottyknicky never has a post go unnoticedknottyknicky never has a post go unnoticedknottyknicky never has a post go unnoticedknottyknicky never has a post go unnoticedknottyknicky never has a post go unnoticedknottyknicky never has a post go unnoticed

Ask my husband, he'll probably say lamb meatballs with roasted tomatoes and homemade tzatziki or fish tacos. I'm fond of our butternut squash lasagna but it's more of a winter dish.
knottyknicky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 01:04 PM   #3
HottiMegan
I'm a fat geek!

HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.

My favorite is a very simple, tasty and quick pot of enchilada soup. It's basically everything you'd put in an enchilada, soupified. (basically extra sauce and tear up the tortillas) I usually make it once a week and it's a favorite of the entire family. It's something I make when we have guests but will be busy since it cooks up in under a half hour. When we have guests I pair it with my cilantro salad. It puts people off that there's more cilantro than lettuce but with all the stuff i put in it, it's quite tasty. I even got it published in a small cookbook!
HottiMegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 02:38 PM   #4
CastingPearls
Go Big Or Go Home

CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Penne a la vodka with melt in your mouth veal meatballs or marinated chicken OR a really slamming chicken cacciatore, stringbeans sauteed in roasted garlic, soy and a splash of balsamic vinegar and a shrimp cocktail appetizer I serve in giant martini glasses...they're served over a bed of baby spring greens, a homemade dressing topped with horseradishy cocktail sauce and then the shrimp--after you eat the shrimp you mix what's left into your little salad--it's delish!

Cheesecake or berries and cream for dessert. Or both.

Free me, free yourself
A life of sacrifice controlled me
But those promises I made
No longer hold me
Mercurial more wayward by the hour
The shackles fall away I'm in your power

People throw rocks at things that shine.
CastingPearls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 02:02 AM   #5
PamelaLois
ILL-INI

PamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions community

What I'm always asked to bring to work is pasta shells stuffed with spinach and ricotta with a fresh marinara sauce. Always a hit, always clean plates which makes me very happy.

What I make the most for myself, probably my signature dish, is soup of any kind.
Old 03-17-2011, 05:40 PM   #6
Fuzzy
Just a dirty old man

Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Signature Dish #1: Dutch-Oven Potatoes

Signature Dish #2: Chicken Fried Steak (with mashed taters and cream gravy)

Signature Dish #3: Fuzzy's Corn bread
Old 03-17-2011, 07:36 PM   #7
olwen
Disco Bear

olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!

Mine is Sausage Spaghetti. I never make it with actual sauce. I use diced tomatoes instead and a bit of tomato paste. I just dislike thick and gummy tomato sauce, and since I eat it over thin rice noodles the texture comes out just right. My friends love it.
olwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 12:00 PM   #8
toni
In the know

toni has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!toni has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!toni has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!toni has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!toni has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!toni has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!toni has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!toni has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!toni has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!toni has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!toni has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

I do a roasted red pepper alfredo baked tortellini dish. I top it with cheese and arrange pieces of garlic bread on top before I bake it.

There are never any left overs when I make it for parties. Sooooo yummy.
toni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 10:32 AM   #9
WillSpark
King Of The Robo-Sluts

WillSpark is a pillar of the Dimensions communityWillSpark is a pillar of the Dimensions communityWillSpark is a pillar of the Dimensions communityWillSpark is a pillar of the Dimensions communityWillSpark is a pillar of the Dimensions communityWillSpark is a pillar of the Dimensions communityWillSpark is a pillar of the Dimensions communityWillSpark is a pillar of the Dimensions communityWillSpark is a pillar of the Dimensions communityWillSpark is a pillar of the Dimensions communityWillSpark is a pillar of the Dimensions community

Mine's also my favorite dish.

Italian sausage butterflied, grilled, then large diced served with bowtie pasta in a white wine and basalmic vinegar reduction with basil, sauteed garlic, and capers. Some people like it with fresh grated parmesean but I prefer it just as it is.

I also make a mean soft pretzel.
Old 03-27-2011, 07:45 PM   #10
PamelaLois
ILL-INI

PamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions community

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillSpark View Post
Mine's also my favorite dish.

Italian sausage butterflied, grilled, then large diced served with bowtie pasta in a white wine and basalmic vinegar reduction with basil, sauteed garlic, and capers. Some people like it with fresh grated parmesean but I prefer it just as it is.

I also make a mean soft pretzel.
wow, that sounds amazing
Old 03-27-2011, 09:26 PM   #11
DreamyInToronto
ME WANT COOKIES!!!!

DreamyInToronto has super-sized repDreamyInToronto has super-sized repDreamyInToronto has super-sized repDreamyInToronto has super-sized repDreamyInToronto has super-sized rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CastingPearls View Post
Penne a la vodka with melt in your mouth veal meatballs or marinated chicken OR a really slamming chicken cacciatore, stringbeans sauteed in roasted garlic, soy and a splash of balsamic vinegar and a shrimp cocktail appetizer I serve in giant martini glasses...they're served over a bed of baby spring greens, a homemade dressing topped with horseradishy cocktail sauce and then the shrimp--after you eat the shrimp you mix what's left into your little salad--it's delish!

Cheesecake or berries and cream for dessert. Or both.
I wanna come over for dinner!!! xoxo
Old 03-27-2011, 09:47 PM   #12
TraciJo67
On Timeout

TraciJo67 has ascended what used to be the highest level.TraciJo67 has ascended what used to be the highest level.TraciJo67 has ascended what used to be the highest level.TraciJo67 has ascended what used to be the highest level.TraciJo67 has ascended what used to be the highest level.TraciJo67 has ascended what used to be the highest level.TraciJo67 has ascended what used to be the highest level.TraciJo67 has ascended what used to be the highest level.TraciJo67 has ascended what used to be the highest level.TraciJo67 has ascended what used to be the highest level.TraciJo67 has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy View Post
I would love the recipes for these items! Most especially the chicken fried steak.

ETA: OK, so I clicked on #2 first and saw no recipe, just a yummy pic. I see that you already shared recipes for the other dishes.

Last edited by TraciJo67; 03-27-2011 at 09:49 PM.
TraciJo67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 11:23 PM   #13
Fuzzy
Just a dirty old man

Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Chicken Fried Steak

4 cube steaks (beef or pork)
Seasoned Flour
Buttermilk, 1/2 pint
2 eggs
Bread crumbs, italian or Panko
Oil for frying

Seasoned Flour:
1 cup flour
1/2 teaspoon seasoning salt
1/2 teaspoon Mrs Dash Onion & Herb (or onion powder)
1/2 teaspoon paprika
1/4 teaspoon pepper

Mix Seasoned Flour. Setup three saucers or bowls, one containing the seasoned flour, another with the buttermilk and beaten eggs, and a third with the bread crumbs. Heat skillet, medium to medium-high, with just enough oil to cover the bottom of the pan. Dip a steak in the egg/buttermilk, both sides. Then dredge in the flour mixture coating both sides. Return to egg/buttermilk and dip both sides. Then dredge in the bread crumbs. Then carefully lay the coated steak in the hot oil. Repeat for the remaining steaks. Fry until browned, about 5-6 minutes per side. Remove the fried steaks to a paper-towel lined plate to drain. Serve with cream/milk gravy.

Notes:
1) I like to use pork cube steak as a lighter alternative to beef.
2) I arrange my bowls in a production line do I can prep each steak, and place it in the oil, and grab the next. Handle each steak as little as possible since they tend to fall apart during the double dip. Amazingly, if they do fall apart place the steak pieces as close as you can. The coating will glue itself back together in time for the flip over.
3) Yes, your fingers are a mess. That's how you know you're doing it right.
3) I use a rectangle electric skillet so I can fry 4-6 steaks at the same time, but cast iron is the traditional choice.
4) I try to use only as much oil as needed. You're frying the steaks, not baptizing them. Add more oil as needed.

Cream/Milk gravy:
Melt 3 tablespoons butter in a sauce pan set to medium heat. Add 3 tablespoons flour and wisk until the mixture is bubbily. if it looks like paste, add more butter. Season with salt and pepper, and remove from heat. (after all, you've created lava) Carefully add 1 cup milk/cream, wisking the mixture until well blended. Return to the heat while adding a second cup of liquid. Continue stirring while heating until gravy thickens to desired consistency, remove from heat. Ladle over steaks.