Dimensions Forums  
Home Register Premium Membership Health Issues Market Place Big Fashion

Go Back   Dimensions Forums > Discussion > FA/FFA forum

Old 03-26-2011, 08:14 PM   #26
FA Punk

FA Punk knows EXACTLY what's going onFA Punk knows EXACTLY what's going onFA Punk knows EXACTLY what's going onFA Punk knows EXACTLY what's going onFA Punk knows EXACTLY what's going onFA Punk knows EXACTLY what's going on

Haha, oh yeah I could so trust a network like MTV....NOT!!!!!!!!!!
Old 03-26-2011, 09:05 PM   #27
Mishty
aluminum petunia

Mishty has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mishty has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mishty has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mishty has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mishty has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mishty has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mishty has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mishty has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mishty has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mishty has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mishty has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Oh god damn, I can only imagine what this is going to become in the hands of Teen Mom producers, and Jersey Shore creators.

I'll watch it though, just like I watch Snooki.

can't believe I admitted that.
Well I ain't really falling asleep; I'm fading to black.
Mishty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 09:28 PM   #28
liz (di-va)

liz (di-va) has ascended what used to be the highest level.liz (di-va) has ascended what used to be the highest level.liz (di-va) has ascended what used to be the highest level.liz (di-va) has ascended what used to be the highest level.liz (di-va) has ascended what used to be the highest level.liz (di-va) has ascended what used to be the highest level.liz (di-va) has ascended what used to be the highest level.liz (di-va) has ascended what used to be the highest level.liz (di-va) has ascended what used to be the highest level.liz (di-va) has ascended what used to be the highest level.liz (di-va) has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Webmaster View Post
Negative kneejerk reaction? Homophobic feelings?! Hardly. All I am saying is that even when I started Dimensions in 1983, the term "chubby chaser" was already around in the gay scene. I never liked it no matter who uses it, and I would really not like for MTV, or anyone, to resurrect it, and certainly not improperly. And, actually, the gay FA scene has been around at least as long as the straight scene, if not longer.

The talk shows in the 80s did, in fact, properly use the term FA. I know because I was on almost all of them.
Chubby chaser is used more broadly now; they're not 'resurrecting' it--it's just used differently.
liz (di-va) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 10:21 PM   #29
bigmac

bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CastingPearls View Post
The film The Ritz was released in '76 and there was more than one reference to chubby chasers in the dialogue. I believe the term was originally used within the gay community first.
All my gay friends know and use the term. However, many of my straight friends also use the term chubby chasers when talking about straight people who like fat partners.

Interestingly I've never heard the term FA used outside the SA/BBW community.
bigmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 04:30 AM   #30
verucassault

verucassault carries a lot of weight on this boardverucassault carries a lot of weight on this boardverucassault carries a lot of weight on this boardverucassault carries a lot of weight on this boardverucassault carries a lot of weight on this board

in jersey chubby chaser meant dudes that dig fat chicks. also in rochester new york where i went to univers. this was between the years of 1996-2001. just another reference point.
my boyfriend was coined a chubby chaser by his friends because he dated me. i dont have a penis...and didnt have one when i dated him
verucassault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 05:22 AM   #31
LoveBHMS
default title

LoveBHMS keeps pushing the rep limit!LoveBHMS keeps pushing the rep limit!LoveBHMS keeps pushing the rep limit!LoveBHMS keeps pushing the rep limit!LoveBHMS keeps pushing the rep limit!LoveBHMS keeps pushing the rep limit!LoveBHMS keeps pushing the rep limit!LoveBHMS keeps pushing the rep limit!LoveBHMS keeps pushing the rep limit!LoveBHMS keeps pushing the rep limit!LoveBHMS keeps pushing the rep limit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by penguin View Post
Maybe it's a cultural thing, but I've heard chubby chaser used a lot here by straight men. My ex used it to describe himself, though he's into "plumpers", as he puts, rather than women like me.
I distinctly recall it being used on the sitcom "Cheers" which was around late 80's/early 90's. A recurring character named Paul was fat, and on one episode he appears at the bar with a conventionally attractive woman. The barflies are astounded to see such pretty woman with the nerdish, awkward Paul and they ask him about her. He tells his friends that the woman is a "chubby chaser" and as such attracted to his weight.
LoveBHMS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 12:52 PM   #32
Judge_Dre

Judge_Dre never has a post go unnoticedJudge_Dre never has a post go unnoticedJudge_Dre never has a post go unnoticedJudge_Dre never has a post go unnoticedJudge_Dre never has a post go unnoticedJudge_Dre never has a post go unnoticedJudge_Dre never has a post go unnoticed

I see a lot of people are still skeptical of the show and it seems most have never watched it. It is far removed from Jersey shore and Teen Mom. It's more like an actual documentary series. Here's a full episode called "I'm Happy That I'm Fat." You can judge for yourself how fat postive it is.

http://www.mtv.com/videos/true-life-...playlist.jhtml
Judge_Dre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 01:59 PM   #33
Jon Blaze
Dusk

Jon Blaze keeps pushing the rep limit!Jon Blaze keeps pushing the rep limit!Jon Blaze keeps pushing the rep limit!Jon Blaze keeps pushing the rep limit!Jon Blaze keeps pushing the rep limit!Jon Blaze keeps pushing the rep limit!Jon Blaze keeps pushing the rep limit!Jon Blaze keeps pushing the rep limit!Jon Blaze keeps pushing the rep limit!Jon Blaze keeps pushing the rep limit!Jon Blaze keeps pushing the rep limit!

That was the one I referred to. It isn't as positive as it seems. Lots of things are inaccurate/skewed, but only from the perspective of my friend who was on it.

I felt it was better than most, but still not quite there.

Roxie is a friend of mine. Unfortunately we aren't close now (Just haven't spoken in awhile, but not for any specific reason), but we were when the episode aired. This is a personal message sent to me on myspace. This is just scratching the surface of what was wrong. Many blogs in the fatosphere (Including mine when I was in it)

"Hey sure, Well, the whole beginning about me being uncomfortable with men because of "lingering feelings of insecurity" about my body. That's not true at all, I told them I am awkward around men because my first boyfriend beat me. I have trust issues. The footage of me crying at the cast bonding session is because we were watching Schindler's List, not because Patrick didn't sit with me lol. Then, the footage of me crying after I asked Patrick out was actually from me crying over the stress of having to reshoot that awkward seen. I just felt like they portrayed all of us to be really lonely. Like they pointed out the positive but then had to go back and say yea, but none of them can find a date, what losers you know? I was also disappointed that they didn't use any of the footage of me pointing out all the real facts about "weight related illness". You can totally be fat and healthy. I just think it's sad that I was part of a show that reinforced false stereotypes.

Thanks so much for listening to my side.

Roxie"

And:

"While I do exercise very regularly doing yoga, swimming, and dancing, we didn't shoot any footage of it because we were so busy with the activist work. Things that they didn't show included an excellent size acceptance debate, me searching desperately for an academic adviser, hours of club meetings, and goodness knows what else.

Thank you very much for the compliment. FYI the footage of me asking out Patrick is re-enacted, I totally asked him off camera and he said no."

Not exactly perfect.

"Happiness is not stopping to think if you are."- Palmer Sondreal
Jon Blaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 02:56 PM   #34
joswitch
Exile from Main Board

joswitch has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!joswitch has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!joswitch has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!joswitch has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!joswitch has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!joswitch has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!joswitch has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!joswitch has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!joswitch has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!joswitch has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!joswitch has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

I so do not look under 28! Probably just as well!
Old 03-29-2011, 02:58 PM   #35
joswitch
Exile from Main Board

joswitch has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!joswitch has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!joswitch has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!joswitch has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!joswitch has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!joswitch has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!joswitch has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!joswitch has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!joswitch has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!joswitch has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!joswitch has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mishty View Post
Oh god damn, I can only imagine what this is going to become in the hands of Teen Mom producers, and Jersey Shore creators.

I'll watch it though, just like I watch Snooki.

can't believe I admitted that.
Fo' shame! Gimme 20 pushups, now!
Old 03-29-2011, 02:59 PM   #36
joswitch
Exile from Main Board

Quote:
Originally Posted by verucassault View Post
in jersey chubby chaser meant dudes that dig fat chicks. also in rochester new york where i went to univers. this was between the years of 1996-2001. just another reference point.
my boyfriend was coined a chubby chaser by his friends because he dated me. i dont have a penis...and didnt have one when i dated him
Maximum cool points for nonchalance!
Old 03-29-2011, 03:17 PM   #37
BigBeautifulMe
That was a heart.

BigBeautifulMe has ascended what used to be the highest level.BigBeautifulMe has ascended what used to be the highest level.BigBeautifulMe has ascended what used to be the highest level.BigBeautifulMe has ascended what used to be the highest level.BigBeautifulMe has ascended what used to be the highest level.BigBeautifulMe has ascended what used to be the highest level.BigBeautifulMe has ascended what used to be the highest level.BigBeautifulMe has ascended what used to be the highest level.BigBeautifulMe has ascended what used to be the highest level.BigBeautifulMe has ascended what used to be the highest level.BigBeautifulMe has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Wow, that was an interesting episode. Interesting just how much I could identify with all three of them.

"I just think your culinary choices could use more death of sentient creatures. Is that so wrong?" - Mini

-Rosebud- I am imagining how lovely it would be to see your golden hair rising up over my belly when you are between my thighs
-Rosebud- Like a cunnilingus sunrise
BigBeautifulMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 04:04 PM   #38
BigBeautifulMe
That was a heart.

BigBeautifulMe has ascended what used to be the highest level.BigBeautifulMe has ascended what used to be the highest level.BigBeautifulMe has ascended what used to be the highest level.BigBeautifulMe has ascended what used to be the highest level.BigBeautifulMe has ascended what used to be the highest level.BigBeautifulMe has ascended what used to be the highest level.BigBeautifulMe has ascended what used to be the highest level.BigBeautifulMe has ascended what used to be the highest level.BigBeautifulMe has ascended what used to be the highest level.BigBeautifulMe has ascended what used to be the highest level.BigBeautifulMe has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge_Dre View Post

As for the show, True Life, has anyone seen the stuttering episode I mentioned earlier? I thought it was very well done and as a stutterer it really affected me in a postive way.
I'm a stutterer, too -- lifelong. The show was validating, if painful for me to watch... I guess because of the serious amount of empathy and understanding you naturally have when you've gone through it yourself. Tim's situation just killed me. I've been there. There were some blocks I just couldn't watch.

"I just think your culinary choices could use more death of sentient creatures. Is that so wrong?" - Mini

-Rosebud- I am imagining how lovely it would be to see your golden hair rising up over my belly when you are between my thighs
-Rosebud- Like a cunnilingus sunrise
BigBeautifulMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 06:46 PM   #39
FA Punk

FA Punk knows EXACTLY what's going onFA Punk knows EXACTLY what's going onFA Punk knows EXACTLY what's going onFA Punk knows EXACTLY what's going onFA Punk knows EXACTLY what's going onFA Punk knows EXACTLY what's going on

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Blaze View Post
That was the one I referred to. It isn't as positive as it seems. Lots of things are inaccurate/skewed, but only from the perspective of my friend who was on it.

I felt it was better than most, but still not quite there.

Roxie is a friend of mine. Unfortunately we aren't close now (Just haven't spoken in awhile, but not for any specific reason), but we were when the episode aired. This is a personal message sent to me on myspace. This is just scratching the surface of what was wrong. Many blogs in the fatosphere (Including mine when I was in it)

"Hey sure, Well, the whole beginning about me being uncomfortable with men because of "lingering feelings of insecurity" about my body. That's not true at all, I told them I am awkward around men because my first boyfriend beat me. I have trust issues. The footage of me crying at the cast bonding session is because we were watching Schindler's List, not because Patrick didn't sit with me lol. Then, the footage of me crying after I asked Patrick out was actually from me crying over the stress of having to reshoot that awkward seen. I just felt like they portrayed all of us to be really lonely. Like they pointed out the positive but then had to go back and say yea, but none of them can find a date, what losers you know? I was also disappointed that they didn't use any of the footage of me pointing out all the real facts about "weight related illness". You can totally be fat and healthy. I just think it's sad that I was part of a show that reinforced false stereotypes.

Thanks so much for listening to my side.

Roxie"

And:

"While I do exercise very regularly doing yoga, swimming, and dancing, we didn't shoot any footage of it because we were so busy with the activist work. Things that they didn't show included an excellent size acceptance debate, me searching desperately for an academic adviser, hours of club meetings, and goodness knows what else.

Thank you very much for the compliment. FYI the footage of me asking out Patrick is re-enacted, I totally asked him off camera and he said no."

Not exactly perfect.
Thanks Jon. This is the issue I would have aswell, the fact they would edit everything I would say or do. I have a problem with rambling and putting my foot in mouth so I couldn't imagine what ''gold'' mtv would get from me saying something off the cuff. And why the hell did they make them watch Schindler's List of all things?
Old 04-03-2011, 10:25 AM   #40
verucassault

verucassault carries a lot of weight on this boardverucassault carries a lot of weight on this boardverucassault carries a lot of weight on this boardverucassault carries a lot of weight on this boardverucassault carries a lot of weight on this board

Quote:
Originally Posted by joswitch View Post
Maximum cool points for nonchalance!
if got excited everytime i had to confirm what was in my pants....
oh nevermind
verucassault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 06:58 PM   #41
Weirdo890

Weirdo890 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityWeirdo890 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityWeirdo890 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityWeirdo890 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityWeirdo890 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityWeirdo890 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityWeirdo890 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityWeirdo890 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityWeirdo890 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityWeirdo890 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityWeirdo890 is a pillar of the Dimensions community

Not interested. I'm not touching this show with a 39 1/2 foot pole.

"Conquer all, but one escapes
Govern all, but one dissents
Embark on genocide, and one shall rise to damn you."
- Jack Kirby "Hunger Dogs"

My YouTube video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wU24ty301nY
Weirdo890 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 09:05 PM   #42
thatgirl08
KNOW IT ALL

thatgirl08 keeps pushing the rep limit!thatgirl08 keeps pushing the rep limit!thatgirl08 keeps pushing the rep limit!thatgirl08 keeps pushing the rep limit!thatgirl08 keeps pushing the rep limit!thatgirl08 keeps pushing the rep limit!thatgirl08 keeps pushing the rep limit!thatgirl08 keeps pushing the rep limit!thatgirl08 keeps pushing the rep limit!thatgirl08 keeps pushing the rep limit!thatgirl08 keeps pushing the rep limit!

People in my everyday life use chubby chaser to refer to a man attracted to big women. I literally never heard it used for the gay community until I came here. My close friend, who is gay, recently used the word 'bear' and I was surprised to even hear him say it because I hadn't heard it used anywhere but here. I don't know what the original connotations of everything was but chubby chaser has never been associated with the LGBTQ community for me, nor has it really taken on a negative connotation as others have said. Maybe it's generational?
thatgirl08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 07:15 AM   #43
Alzison

Alzison has super-sized repAlzison has super-sized repAlzison has super-sized repAlzison has super-sized repAlzison has super-sized rep
Default err

Does anyone else feel uncomfortable about the fact that this topic need exist, along with others like "Happy Being Fat" etc etc? To me it further stigmatizes the FA population and pulls the concept away from "acceptable" or "normal"... no matter what light it is painted in. Just a thought...
Alzison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 05:50 PM   #44
thatgirl08
KNOW IT ALL

thatgirl08 keeps pushing the rep limit!thatgirl08 keeps pushing the rep limit!thatgirl08 keeps pushing the rep limit!thatgirl08 keeps pushing the rep limit!thatgirl08 keeps pushing the rep limit!thatgirl08 keeps pushing the rep limit!thatgirl08 keeps pushing the rep limit!thatgirl08 keeps pushing the rep limit!thatgirl08 keeps pushing the rep limit!thatgirl08 keeps pushing the rep limit!thatgirl08 keeps pushing the rep limit!

I think it has the potential to be a good thing because a lot of people don't know this community exists at all.. before we can normalize it we have to somehow let people know it exists, if that makes sense. However, every single TV show EVER has ruined it so I don't trust it.
thatgirl08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 12:03 PM   #45
Jon Blaze
Dusk

Jon Blaze keeps pushing the rep limit!Jon Blaze keeps pushing the rep limit!Jon Blaze keeps pushing the rep limit!Jon Blaze keeps pushing the rep limit!Jon Blaze keeps pushing the rep limit!Jon Blaze keeps pushing the rep limit!Jon Blaze keeps pushing the rep limit!Jon Blaze keeps pushing the rep limit!Jon Blaze keeps pushing the rep limit!Jon Blaze keeps pushing the rep limit!Jon Blaze keeps pushing the rep limit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatgirl08 View Post
I think it has the potential to be a good thing because a lot of people don't know this community exists at all.. before we can normalize it we have to somehow let people know it exists, if that makes sense. However, every single TV show EVER has ruined it so I don't trust it.
Plus Juan.

"Happiness is not stopping to think if you are."- Palmer Sondreal
Jon Blaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 11:32 PM   #46
mickyj

mickyj can now change their title

Surely we've all wizened up to this sort of stuff, haven't we?
They'll choose the weirdest FA they can find and then edit the footage out to make all FAs look like complete and utter freaks and weirdos.
Anyone who puts themselves forward for this should know what they're getting into and will only have themselves to blame for the outcome.
mickyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 12:03 AM   #47
BlueBurning
On Timeout

BlueBurning carries a lot of weight on this boardBlueBurning carries a lot of weight on this boardBlueBurning carries a lot of weight on this boardBlueBurning carries a lot of weight on this boardBlueBurning carries a lot of weight on this board

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickyj View Post
Surely we've all wizened up to this sort of stuff, haven't we?
They'll choose the weirdest FA they can find and then edit the footage out to make all FAs look like complete and utter freaks and weirdos.
Anyone who puts themselves forward for this should know what they're getting into and will only have themselves to blame for the outcome.
The actual series True Life has done a decent job in past episodes of presenting a relatively fair view on different issues including issues around body image.
BlueBurning is offline   Reply With Quote