Dimensions Forums  
Home Register Premium Membership Health Issues Market Place Big Fashion

Go Back   Dimensions Forums > Discussion > BBW Forum

Old 04-14-2011, 12:05 AM   #26
LovelyLiz

LovelyLiz keeps pushing the rep limit!LovelyLiz keeps pushing the rep limit!LovelyLiz keeps pushing the rep limit!LovelyLiz keeps pushing the rep limit!LovelyLiz keeps pushing the rep limit!LovelyLiz keeps pushing the rep limit!LovelyLiz keeps pushing the rep limit!LovelyLiz keeps pushing the rep limit!LovelyLiz keeps pushing the rep limit!LovelyLiz keeps pushing the rep limit!LovelyLiz keeps pushing the rep limit!

Gotta give it up for one of my favorite women, the badass Dorothy Day.

Last edited by LovelyLiz; 05-10-2011 at 01:15 PM.
LovelyLiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 10:37 AM   #27
CastingPearls
Go Big Or Go Home

CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.

The iconic Katharine Hepburn. Holy shit. This is how itís done. Girlfriend had 12 Best Actress Nominations and a record 4 wins, the most Best Actress wins in the history of the awards. Morning Glory (1932/33), Guess Whoís Coming to Dinner (1967), The Lion in Winter (1968) and On Golden Pond (1981). Not only was she a phenomenal actress, but she also paved the way in breaking down the dress code for women in her day by insisting on wearing menís trousers. Refusing to wear dresses or skirts, she transformed the norm for womenís wear on and off-screen.

She did everything on her own terms.

Free me, free yourself
A life of sacrifice controlled me
But those promises I made
No longer hold me
Mercurial more wayward by the hour
The shackles fall away I'm in your power

People throw rocks at things that shine.

Last edited by CastingPearls; 01-06-2013 at 09:35 PM.
CastingPearls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 07:51 PM   #28
butch
cuddly, hairy, and fat

butch has ascended what used to be the highest level.butch has ascended what used to be the highest level.butch has ascended what used to be the highest level.butch has ascended what used to be the highest level.butch has ascended what used to be the highest level.butch has ascended what used to be the highest level.butch has ascended what used to be the highest level.butch has ascended what used to be the highest level.butch has ascended what used to be the highest level.butch has ascended what used to be the highest level.butch has ascended what used to be the highest level.

If we're referencing women who are 'plus-sized' and important figures in history, then the mighty Barbara Mikulski (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barbara_Mikulski), US Senator from Maryland, needs to be mentioned.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 225px-Barbara_Mikulski.jpg (12.4 KB, 76 views)
Old 04-16-2011, 06:56 AM   #29
PunkyGurly74
History wonkette

PunkyGurly74 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!PunkyGurly74 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!PunkyGurly74 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!PunkyGurly74 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!PunkyGurly74 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!PunkyGurly74 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!PunkyGurly74 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!PunkyGurly74 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!PunkyGurly74 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!PunkyGurly74 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!PunkyGurly74 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Wilma Mankiller - the first female Chief of the Cherokee Nation. She was part of the occupation of Alacatez and was there when AIM (American Indian Movement) was formed...and went on to do amazing things. AI tribes are recognized as sovereign nations...so, she was a leader of not just a people..but, a nation.

I have been fortunate to meet and know people who knew her personally..and I would hear stories.

I'm not aware of too many things. I know what I know if you know what I mean. Do ya?
PunkyGurly74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 09:28 AM   #30
ashmamma84
Om Namah Shivayah

ashmamma84 keeps pushing the rep limit!ashmamma84 keeps pushing the rep limit!ashmamma84 keeps pushing the rep limit!ashmamma84 keeps pushing the rep limit!ashmamma84 keeps pushing the rep limit!ashmamma84 keeps pushing the rep limit!ashmamma84 keeps pushing the rep limit!ashmamma84 keeps pushing the rep limit!ashmamma84 keeps pushing the rep limit!ashmamma84 keeps pushing the rep limit!ashmamma84 keeps pushing the rep limit!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lena_Horne
Attached Images
File Type: jpg lena-horne2.jpg (7.5 KB, 59 views)
Old 04-17-2011, 03:03 AM   #31
hrd

hrd does more than just post hot picshrd does more than just post hot picshrd does more than just post hot picshrd does more than just post hot pics

mary wollstonecraft (mary shelley's mom) -
hrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 06:09 AM   #32
Yakatori
Hard to say, really...

Yakatori keeps pushing the rep limit!Yakatori keeps pushing the rep limit!Yakatori keeps pushing the rep limit!Yakatori keeps pushing the rep limit!Yakatori keeps pushing the rep limit!Yakatori keeps pushing the rep limit!Yakatori keeps pushing the rep limit!Yakatori keeps pushing the rep limit!Yakatori keeps pushing the rep limit!Yakatori keeps pushing the rep limit!Yakatori keeps pushing the rep limit!

Interesting, how the various choices seem to reflect different personality types/values. The continuity of the whole link/photo approach, makes for some good imagery. Anyway; here's one that, especially now, bears inclusion:

Quote:
...Her mother was adamant that she get a full education, despite an uncle in the family saying, "Why bother? She's pretty. She's a girl. She'll get married." Ferraro attended Marymount Manhattan College with a scholarship while sometimes holding two or three jobs at the same time. During her senior year she began dating John Zaccaro of Forest Hills, Queens, who had graduated from Iona College with a commission in the U.S. Marine Corps. Ferraro received a Bachelor of Arts in English in 1956; she was the first woman in her family to gain a college degree. She also passed the city exam to become a licensed school teacher.

Ferraro began working as an elementary school teacher in public schools in Astoria, Queens, "because that's what women were supposed to do." Unsatisfied, she decided to attend law school; an admissions officer said to her, "I hope you're serious, Gerry. You're taking a man's place, you know." She earned a Juris Doctor degree with honors from Fordham University School of Law in 1960, going to classes at night while continuing to work as a second-grade teacher at schools such as P.S. 57 during the day. Ferraro was one of only two women in her graduating class of 179...

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geraldine_Ferraro
Yakatori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 06:50 AM   #33
Yakatori
Hard to say, really...

Yakatori keeps pushing the rep limit!Yakatori keeps pushing the rep limit!Yakatori keeps pushing the rep limit!Yakatori keeps pushing the rep limit!Yakatori keeps pushing the rep limit!Yakatori keeps pushing the rep limit!Yakatori keeps pushing the rep limit!Yakatori keeps pushing the rep limit!Yakatori keeps pushing the rep limit!Yakatori keeps pushing the rep limit!Yakatori keeps pushing the rep limit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saoirse View Post
"...I thought of when I started reading this thread, Amanda Palmer being the second. Very inspired by both of them."
When you talk about history and influence it's tempting to say things like "Well, we really don't want to be premature in assessing someone's influence, so we shouldn't talk about their accomplishments until a few years after they're dead." And while I can't agree with that, I definitely think that looking back on someone like Geraldine Ferraro right now, so many years after her nomination, it just seems to cast her impact within a much broader cultural and historical context. For example, we now know know that it would be more than two decades before we'd see any another woman on that stage again, let alone two candidates, one for each major-party's ticket; or that Democrats then produced a viable Presidential candidate in the time it took for Republicans to even roughly attempt to match what'd been done a quarter of a century earlier is also quite telling as well.

In that way, I'd feel remiss in not mentioning someone like Kathleen Hanna just as early into this thread; or Joan Jett or Patti Smith earlier than that:

Kathleen Hanna
Bikini_Kill_150396.jpg
Quote:
"...Although she did so unintentionally, Hanna inspired the name for Nirvana's 1991 breakthrough single, "Smells Like Teen Spirit", when she wrote "Kurt Smells Like Teen Spirit" on Kurt Cobain's wall. At the time, Kurt was unaware that Kathleen was referring to a deodorant marketed specifically to young women, and thought that besides having a nice ring to it, the phrase also helped to succinctly summarize, organize and unify the then-nascent song's seemingly-disparate lyrical content into a theme..."

Source: Wikipedia
Patti Smith
Patti-Smith-0117SMI_147861c.jpg

Quote:
"...Called the "Godmother of Punk",[3] her work was a fusion of rock and poetry. Smith's most widely known song is "Because the Night", which was co-written with Bruce Springsteen and reached number 13 on the Billboard Hot 100 chart in 1978.[2]...in 2007, she was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.[5] On November 17, 2010, she won the National Book Award for her memoir Just Kids...was briefly considered for the lead singer position in Blue ÷yster Cult. She contributed lyrics to several of the band's songs...also wrote rock journalism, some of which was published in Rolling Stone and Creem.[14]...On July 10, 2005, Smith was named a Commander of the Ordre des Arts et des Lettres by the French Ministry of Culture.[4] In addition to her influence on rock music, the Minister also noted Smith's appreciation of Arthur Rimbaud. In August 2005, Smith gave a literary lecture about the poems of Arthur Rimbaud and William Blake...On May 17, 2010, Patti Smith received an honorary doctorate in fine arts from Pratt Institute, along with architect Daniel Libeskind, MoMA director Glenn Lowry, former NYC Landmarks Commissioner Barbaralee Diamonstein-Spielvogel, novelist Jonathan Lethem, and director Steven Soderbergh.[35] Following the conferral of her degree, Smith delivered the commencement address[36] and sang/played two songs accompanied by long-time band member Lenny Kaye. In her remarks, Smith explained that in 1967 when she moved to New York City (Brooklyn), she would never have been accepted into Pratt, but most of her friends (including Mapplethorpe) were students at Pratt and she spent countless hours on the Pratt campus. She added that it was through her friends and their Pratt professors that she learned much of her own artistic skills, making the honour from the institute particularly poignant for Smith 43 years later.[37]...Smith is currently working on a crime novel set in London. "I've been working on a detective story that starts at the St Giles in the Fields church in London for the last two years," she told NME adding that she "loved detective stories" having been a fan of Sherlock Holmes and US crime author Mickey Spillane as a girl.[38] Part of the book will be set in Gothenburg, Sweden.[39]...Smith has been a great source of inspiration for Michael Stipe of R.E.M. Listening to her album Horses when he was 15 made a huge impact on him; he said later, "I decided then that I was going to start a band."...In 2004, Shirley Manson of Garbage spoke of Smith's influence on her in Rolling Stone's issue "The Immortals: 100 Greatest Artists of All Time"...The Smiths members Morrissey and Johnny Marr shared an appreciation for Smith's Horses, and reveal that their song "The Hand That Rocks the Cradle" is a reworking of one of the album's tracks, "Kimberly".[49] In 2004, Sonic Youth released an album called Hidros 3 (to Patti Smith).[50] U2 also cites Patti Smith as an influence...."
Source: Wikipedia
Yakatori is offline   Reply With Quote