Dimensions Forums  
Home Register Premium Membership Stories Ye Olde Library Health Issues Market Place Big Fashion

Go Back   Dimensions Forums > Discussion > The Foodee Board

Old 04-15-2011, 02:52 AM   #1
riplee

riplee has super-sized repriplee has super-sized repriplee has super-sized repriplee has super-sized rep
Default Microbrewery etiquette

When getting a growler refilled at the local neighborhood brewery, how much should one tip?

Thanks!
Old 04-15-2011, 08:20 AM   #2
Dr. Feelgood
intellectual nerd

Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.

If I'm the growler, I tip 15%.
'Bout fo' hundred pound...
-- Dr. Feelgood & the Interns
Dr. Feelgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 01:35 PM   #3
HottiMegan
I'm a fat geek!

HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Ooh good question. My husbands growler has been kicking around in the trunk waiting for a refill from Sierra Nevada (4 blocks from home). I wouldn't have even though about tipping!
HottiMegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 12:35 AM   #4
succubus_dxb
Badonk. Adonk.

succubus_dxb has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!succubus_dxb has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!succubus_dxb has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!succubus_dxb has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!succubus_dxb has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!succubus_dxb has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!succubus_dxb has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!succubus_dxb has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!succubus_dxb has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!succubus_dxb has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!succubus_dxb has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

what the hell is a 'growler'?!
Old 04-16-2011, 02:09 AM   #5
Inhibited

Inhibited makes people happy simply by logging inInhibited makes people happy simply by logging inInhibited makes people happy simply by logging inInhibited makes people happy simply by logging inInhibited makes people happy simply by logging inInhibited makes people happy simply by logging inInhibited makes people happy simply by logging inInhibited makes people happy simply by logging inInhibited makes people happy simply by logging in

Quote:
Originally Posted by succubus_dxb View Post
what the hell is a 'growler'?!
Very good question :-)
Inhibited is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 04:16 AM   #6
Yakatori
Hard to say, really...

Yakatori keeps pushing the rep limit!Yakatori keeps pushing the rep limit!Yakatori keeps pushing the rep limit!Yakatori keeps pushing the rep limit!Yakatori keeps pushing the rep limit!Yakatori keeps pushing the rep limit!Yakatori keeps pushing the rep limit!Yakatori keeps pushing the rep limit!Yakatori keeps pushing the rep limit!Yakatori keeps pushing the rep limit!Yakatori keeps pushing the rep limit!

I think you's both know bloody full-well wot it-is...
Yakatori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 01:53 PM   #7
HottiMegan
I'm a fat geek!

HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.

My husbands growler is about a half gallon in size brown glass bottle with a sturdy rubbery lid that he can get specialty beers at the sierra nevada tap room. You can take it back for refills. Hubs had about 10 choices of beer you can't get in the store. He loves it.
Old 04-16-2011, 04:34 PM   #8
HottiMegan
I'm a fat geek!

Here's a photo of a growler that we have: growler
Old 04-16-2011, 09:39 PM   #9
Inhibited

Inhibited makes people happy simply by logging inInhibited makes people happy simply by logging inInhibited makes people happy simply by logging inInhibited makes people happy simply by logging inInhibited makes people happy simply by logging inInhibited makes people happy simply by logging inInhibited makes people happy simply by logging inInhibited makes people happy simply by logging inInhibited makes people happy simply by logging in

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakatori View Post
I think you's both know bloody full-well wot it-is...
Quote:
Originally Posted by HottiMegan View Post
Thanks heaps for that.. we just call them bottles here :-)
Inhibited is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 11:25 PM   #10
succubus_dxb
Badonk. Adonk.

succubus_dxb has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!succubus_dxb has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!succubus_dxb has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!succubus_dxb has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!succubus_dxb has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!succubus_dxb has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!succubus_dxb has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!succubus_dxb has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!succubus_dxb has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!succubus_dxb has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!succubus_dxb has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

eeeeeenteresting!
Old 04-17-2011, 06:08 PM   #11
Yakatori
Hard to say, really...

Yakatori keeps pushing the rep limit!Yakatori keeps pushing the rep limit!Yakatori keeps pushing the rep limit!Yakatori keeps pushing the rep limit!Yakatori keeps pushing the rep limit!Yakatori keeps pushing the rep limit!Yakatori keeps pushing the rep limit!Yakatori keeps pushing the rep limit!Yakatori keeps pushing the rep limit!Yakatori keeps pushing the rep limit!Yakatori keeps pushing the rep limit!

hmm...no answer on this one yet. Makes me lean toward the idea that it's just another retail point of sale, and therefore not particularly tip-worthy.

I mean, what's the service aspect of it; do they fill the growler while you're waiting for them to do it? Or do they just give you a full one that they've already cleaned and filled in exchange for the one you drop off? Or do they fill it and refrigerate it while you're sitting at the bar?

What are the mechanics of how this works?
Yakatori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 01:59 AM   #12
riplee

riplee has super-sized repriplee has super-sized repriplee has super-sized repriplee has super-sized rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HottiMegan View Post
Those are beauties! I like the swing-top caps like on the Grolsch bottles.

I guess I'm of the same mind when it comes to getting a growler filled as when it comes to getting a to-go order...that there should be some tip involved. Shouldn't there be some compensation or should there not be?
Old 04-21-2011, 05:35 AM   #13
knottyknicky
Hips like Cinderella

knottyknicky never has a post go unnoticedknottyknicky never has a post go unnoticedknottyknicky never has a post go unnoticedknottyknicky never has a post go unnoticedknottyknicky never has a post go unnoticedknottyknicky never has a post go unnoticedknottyknicky never has a post go unnoticed

I had no idea you were supposed to tip. If theres not some standard published somewhere, you're probably fine giving whatever you're comfortable with. It never would have occured to me to tip on growlers. Weird.
knottyknicky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 12:09 PM   #14
HottiMegan
I'm a fat geek!

I think hubby gives 2 dollars when the refill costs about $11-16 depending on the brew
Old 04-21-2011, 04:12 PM   #15
J34
Purple Monkey Dishwasher!

J34 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityJ34 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityJ34 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityJ34 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityJ34 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityJ34 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityJ34 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityJ34 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityJ34 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityJ34 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityJ34 is a pillar of the Dimensions community

I did not know one is supposed to tip to re/fill a growler? I have around 5 Growlers most from Wisconsin, and a couple from around the area here in Jersey. Although some microbrews i've been to in NJ don't fill growlers which is weird.