Dimensions Forums  
Home Register Premium Membership Stories Ye Olde Library Health Issues Market Place Big Fashion

Go Back   Dimensions Forums > Discussion > The Foodee Board

Old 11-13-2008, 10:12 PM   #51
katorade

katorade has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!katorade has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!katorade has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!katorade has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!katorade has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!katorade has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!katorade has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!katorade has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!katorade has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!katorade has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!katorade has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

So I can't seem to remember whether or not it was posted earlier, but I'm gonna put my 2 cents in anyway.

Berghoff's "famous draft style" rootbeer.

Founded in 1898 as a restaurant, although the root beer has only been around 50 years or so. Apparently the restaurant is no longer, but the root beer lives on. That's a good sign! The ingredients are as follows:
-Carbonated Water
-Pure Cane Sugar (yay!)
-Caramel Color
-Sodium Benzoate
-Natural Flavor (yay again, but boo for not listing them!)
-Citric Acid

Definitely a nice short list with a very refreshing lack of artificial ingredients.

The smell: The initial hint is very wintergreen and vanilla, with a good dose of anise. Breathe deeper and you may even pick up...sassafras? Something a little tart smelling, I can't place it. Maybe it's birch? Whatever it is, it's a lovely complement and balances out the numbing sweetness of the first 3 that can kill a root beer for me.

First taste: Very vanilla. It's almost like a hybrid of root beer and cream soda. You definitely pick of the creamy sweetness of cane sugar (think of getting to the last few sips of sweet tea). At first I was thinking this was going to be another sad weak draft root beer with no bite. Boo. Then I had another sip. What the...that first punch of vanilla is now gone! Now I'm really picking up that peppery birch and wintergreen.

This is a highly drinkable root beer. The carbonation is very light, so the flavors shine through without being obnoxious to the nose. The anise leaves a realistic numbness on the tongue. You can definitely pick out the cane sugar. If it wasn't for that, you could probably use this root beer as mouthwash, haha. The aftertaste is wonderful. It's very clean and not sour at all and my mouth actually feels fresh. Dare I say that this is the draft root beer Barq's aspires to be?
I even let it flatten out a bit towards the end to see if it stood up to the carbonation test. The last few sips were definitely sweeter and you taste more cane sugar and vanilla like a cream soda, but it's still very yummy for being flat soda. It's been about 15 minutes since I finished it off and still there's no hint of sourness or a cloying sensation in my mouth, just lovely anise and maybe nutmeg.

I'm pretty picky when it comes to root beer, and I'm going to have to give this one a 5 out of 5.
katorade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 04:47 PM   #52
Dromond
Old school

Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.
Default Boylan Bottleworks diet root beer

Great review! *applauds loudly*

I've got a brand spanking NEW review!

Up for consideration is Boylan Bottleworks diet root beer.

I've had Boylan root beer and and birch beer, both of which are good. My general inclination is to avoid diet root beer, as I've never found one that truly appeals to my palate. Previous good experiences with Boylan products led me to give this one a try.

The ingredient list is somewhat obscure. Carbonated water, natural and artificial flavors (but which flavors?), caramel color, natural yucca extract, citric acid is listed twice... must be a typo... sodium benzoate, sucralose and acesulfame potassium.

Off comes the top. It has a subtle nose, with wintergreen and sarsaparilla being prominent. The scent has a slightly bitter undertone that I tentatively attribute to the yucca extract. I'm worried that the lack of true sugar will allow the bitterness I can smell to come through too strongly.

Pouring reveals a satisfying head, but it is short lived. Within a few seconds the head disperses. The scent noted before is the same when poured, no additional characteristics showing themselves.

Now to drink. Hmmm. The mouth feel is watery, and is trying to evoke a memory. Why does this feel familiar? The carbonation isn't offensive, but it does give a transitory burn on the tongue. This drink is not sweet, and the flavor is very mild. The aftertaste presents the bitterness I noticed in the scent. It too is mild, so the bitterness is not very distracting.

That memory finally came to the surface. The mouth feel is very similar to mouthwash. LOL Root beer flavored mouthwash, what a concept!

In conclusion: Despite the mouthwash feel of it, the flavor isn't that bad. I've definitely tasted far worse diet root beers. So, for Boylans Diet Root Beer. It's quite decent for a diet drink.
Old 11-16-2008, 08:11 PM   #53
katorade

katorade has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!katorade has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!katorade has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!katorade has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!katorade has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!katorade has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!katorade has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!katorade has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!katorade has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!katorade has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!katorade has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Hey Dromond, what would you think about doing a joint review one day? Go grab a bottle of something delicious and see what we both think about it? I'd love to see how different they are!
Old 11-16-2008, 08:31 PM   #54
Dromond
Old school

Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Hey, I like that idea. That could be a lot of fun!
Old 11-23-2008, 06:33 AM   #55
traveldude1961

traveldude1961 can now change their title

I know most of us who are large still enjoy diet Soda, Here in the Northeast has "waist watcher" Soda made by Adirondack beverages, The Root Beer and Cream Soda are 1st rate, and the cola is acceptable if nothing else is on sale.
traveldude1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 08:46 AM   #56
JMNYC

JMNYC makes people happy simply by logging inJMNYC makes people happy simply by logging inJMNYC makes people happy simply by logging inJMNYC makes people happy simply by logging inJMNYC makes people happy simply by logging inJMNYC makes people happy simply by logging inJMNYC makes people happy simply by logging inJMNYC makes people happy simply by logging inJMNYC makes people happy simply by logging inJMNYC makes people happy simply by logging in

Latest, where free refills are available, like some Chipotles:

Diet coke, with a squirt of root beer at the top.

Shot o'sugar and personality.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Diet crack.jpg (49.8 KB, 75 views)
JMNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 08:47 AM   #57
JMNYC

JMNYC makes people happy simply by logging inJMNYC makes people happy simply by logging inJMNYC makes people happy simply by logging inJMNYC makes people happy simply by logging inJMNYC makes people happy simply by logging inJMNYC makes people happy simply by logging inJMNYC makes people happy simply by logging inJMNYC makes people happy simply by logging inJMNYC makes people happy simply by logging inJMNYC makes people happy simply by logging in

accidental double post

Last edited by JMNYC; 11-23-2008 at 08:50 AM.
JMNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 03:27 PM   #58
katorade

Oooh, double threat today! I'm reviewing two today, the one sitting in front of me, and one I had with my sushi last night (that is a whole other thread. I thought I hated sushi, then I had crispy shrimp rolls, but I digress...).

First up, San Pellegrino's Limonata:

Totally not my photo, but it's an adorable shot. Thank you whoever took it.

Initial impression: I love the bottle. It's the cutest thing ever. It reminds me of a classy version of an Orangina bottle. It's particularly small at only 6 oz., but if you're a slow sipper and just want a little something, it's the perfect size. I rarely finish a drink before it gets warm or flat, so its diminutive size didn't bother me one bit. I was a little disappointed that the cap wasn't twist off, but I know how to do that handy edge-of-the-counter trick. May not be as easy if you want one on the go. It is available in cans, though.
Mine was in clear green glass, although I've seen it in a darker green. There is a visible layer of pulp/sediment at the bottom of the bottle, which makes my mouth water. Hooray for actual lemon juice (12% by content)! I love real lemons, hate lemon flavor or things that just use lemon oil. It has that lovely white milky tint to it that comes with real lemon juice rather than that scary hyper yellow color. I am going to risk sounding like a huge dork, but it's so pretty. I want to line a row of them up on a window sill, that's how pretty they are.

Glancing at the ingredients list is also pleasing. Water, lemon juice from concentrate, sugar, carbon dioxide, natural flavors, l-ascorbic acid. That's it. I have seen some in the past that listed HFCS as an ingredient, so I'm ecstatic they've done away with that.

The smell is luscious. It smells like a nice sweet Meyer lemon. It doesn't have the acidic hit to it that some bitter lemon sodas have that are usually packed with lemon oil. It's juicy and almost floral. If they made a perfume, I'd so wear it.

First taste: After gently turning over the bottle to mix the sediment, mmmm. It's JUST sweet enough. It is literally like drinking fresh squeezed lemonade with some club soda added. The soda keeps it from being too thick and pungent, and the lemon juice and sugar are just enough to cut the dryness of the soda. The balance of the ratio of soda to juice is perfect. There isn't what I would really want to call a sourness or tartness, more of a mouth-watering zing. The kind that makes you smack your lips afterwards. I'm beginning to rethink my happiness about this tiny bottle. If this comes in a wine bottle size, I'm set. I'm gunning to try Limonata's orange sister, Aranciata.

Overall, I'm really pleased. I have been disappointed with San Pellegrino before. I think their mineral water tastes too heavily of clay and Chinotto was positively undrinkable (but if you like Moxie or bitter marmalade, you'll probably enjoy it). Their unsweetened club sodas are just not my thing. This has restored my faith. It would pair fantastically with a vinegary salad or light cold pasta, a white wine seafood dish, or a nice little fruit and cheese platter. It went swimmingly (har har) with my sushi. My only issues were that after a bottle, the flavor became a bit numbing and...I don't know, singular. It would also be fabulous as a mixer, which may help round out the flavor.

I give it 4 tasties.

ACT TWO:

AJ Stephan's Boston pure can sugar Root Beer. "New England's Best Tonic".

Apparently it's been around since 1926. The website is a little obscure for their flavors outside of their ginger beer, which is apparently their biggest seller. The ingredients are Pure carbonated water, cane sugar, flavor, caramel color, and sodium benzoate. I love that it's "pure" carbonated water. The cane sugar is a plus, but I'm unsure about the "flavor". Just flavor? Natural? Artificial? Gimme some specifics, people! At least there are no freaky additives. The bottle is pretty boring.

It looks sort of like it was printed on a home label maker. It's kind of charming when you think of it that way, but yeah...snore. Hopefully that just means that they don't have to rely on catchy graphics to sell it. So yeah, now that I'm thoroughly unexcited about trying it, let's give it a shot!

Smell: Smells like...root beer. Descriptive, I know. It's very sweet smelling, like you just opened a bag of root beer flavored candy. Another good, deep whiff reveals a blossoming ginger smell, and a hint of fruitiness. I'm not surprised about the ginger, since that seems to be their thing. I don't smell much that would typically stand out in a draft style root beer, like birch or wintergreen. It almost smells like cotton candy. It's a rather pleasing smell, but a bit unexpected.

It has a nice dark caramel color, but not much of a head. The carbonation is rather sparkling, which leads me to believe it's not very syrupy.

Initial taste: Sweet. Very sweet. Sweet tea sweet. It does have some peppery notes at the finish that keep it from being cloying, but the aftertaste is almost like it's been in an aluminum can. It's also a bit watery. I'm pretty sure the "flavors" come from a root beer extract and this is almost assuredly not draft root beer. The residual flavor it leaves in your mouth is slightly sour and a bit papery. Wood pulpy, and not in that good birch way. It's almost chalky or dusty tasting. It's extremely effervescent as well. When it hits your tongue, it does feel like it's building a little bit of that creaminess, which is good. But then it keeps building and turns into foaminess, which is...well...who likes foaming at the mouth.

You can definitely tell that this root beer was an afterthought and not the focus of the company's line. The body would match a ginger ale very well, since the effervescence complements the sweetness and enhances the spiciness, but it does absolutely nothing for the depth of flavor you expect from a good, creamy root beer. I occasionally picked up a hint of cinnamon and a bit of a licorice-like numbing, but not really their true flavors. The flavor is light, but not horrendous, I just can't get over the papery aftertaste. It actually reminds me of Pepsi holiday spice, which I wasn't terribly fond of, either. I'll probably finish the bottle, but won't be buying it again.

2 wishy washy tasties.
Old 11-23-2008, 06:48 PM   #59
PamelaLois
ILL-INI

PamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions community

I also have the diabetes and only drink diet soda. I am addicted to Diet Rite Red Raspberry soda, I sometimes go through 2 or 3 two liter bottles in a day. I can't get enough of it. Sweet and full of berry flavor, it's just so tasty. Diet Rite Tangerine is also very good when I crave orange flavored something. I am not keen on the Grape, Black Cherry or Kiwi/Strawberry flavors, but they aren't bad. The Diet Rite Cola absolutely sucks, can't stand it, literally makes me gag when I taste it. I am currently enjoying the Sierra Mist Free Cranberry soda for the holidays. Not quite as sweet as the D-R Red R-berry, but so tasty with a good deal of cranberry flavor.
Old 11-25-2008, 12:15 AM   #60
Dromond
Old school

For your reviewing pleasure, we have Virgil's Special Edition Bavarian Nutmeg.

First, as always, the bottle. The bottle itself is attractively designed, with a ceramic stopper held down by a wire clamp assembly. The label was poorly applied, however, being wrinkled and coming off the bottle. The ingredient list is quite complete, listing EVERYTHING in the brew. Ingredients: anise, honey, licorice, vanilla, cinnamon, nutmeg (of course), clove, wintergreen, casia oil, sweet birch, molasses, carbonated water, unbleached cane sugar, and natural caramel color. The label claims the water is from the Bohemian Forest region of Bavaria. "One of the purest sources in the world for water." Ahoy hoy.

Unclamping the cap was rewarded with a delightful champagne-like pop of the ceramic stopper. Removing the stopper revealed a complex scent of many spices, the licorice and anise being most pronounced. I had some trepidation as strong licorice flavor tends to ruin my root beer experience.

Pouring the brew into a frosted mug revealed almost no head to speak of.

The first drink noted a creamy mouthfeel, which was nice, but the licorice note to the main body of the flavor was overpowering. The nutmeg immortalized on the label was nowhere to be tasted. As I suspected from the almost total lack of head to the root beer, the carbonation was anemic. The aftertaste was dominated again by the licorice, but a slight burn in the throat lingering long after the aftertaste suggested anise to my mind.

In conclusion, this was a disappointing $4 bottle of root beer. The lack of carbonation, and the harshness of the flavor and discomfort of the aftertaste leads me to give this a big ZERO. Not even one star.

At least the bottle is nice...
Old 11-27-2008, 11:58 AM   #61
BigBeautifulMe
That was a heart.

BigBeautifulMe has ascended what used to be the highest level.BigBeautifulMe has ascended what used to be the highest level.BigBeautifulMe has ascended what used to be the highest level.BigBeautifulMe has ascended what used to be the highest level.BigBeautifulMe has ascended what used to be the highest level.BigBeautifulMe has ascended what used to be the highest level.BigBeautifulMe has ascended what used to be the highest level.BigBeautifulMe has ascended what used to be the highest level.BigBeautifulMe has ascended what used to be the highest level.BigBeautifulMe has ascended what used to be the highest level.BigBeautifulMe has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by katorade View Post
Okay, so my venture was way more fulfilling than yours, I'm sure!

Today's venture was a canned soda, actually revisiting an old fave of mine that I haven't had in quite some time. Canfield's diet (gasp!) chocolate fudge soda. Rarely do you find the words diet, fudge, and soda in the same title.

Initial impression of the smell: Chocolate cake or something like a hard chocolate candy. It doesn't have that milky smell that accompanies a chocolate bar, definitely much sweeter and syrupy with a slight note of coffee about it. You would imagine it would taste a lot like Hershey's syrup.

The color is gorgeous, first off. It's not a typical brown like cola or root beer. It's thick like a good root beer, but has almost a reddish tint to it, like cocoa powder (imagine that!). It also isn't heavily carbonated, which I find to be a problem with most diet sodas. They can be caustic on the tongue where as this seems to have a very gentle bubble about it and even has a creamy head like root beer.

As far as taste is concerned, this is the best diet soda I've ever had. Hands down. I would actually pick this over a lot of regular sodas, and I HATE artificial sweetener. I think the trick is that they don't try to fight to hide the aspartame, rather they work around it and balance it with other flavors. Cocoa seems to be a great deep balance to aspartame's insanely sweet punch. The aspartame bitterness even seems to taste GOOD in this soda.
It TASTES like old fashioned chocolate soda, but more specifically, like a tootsie roll. It has a rounded out flavor that lingers, but leaves a rather pleasant aftertaste. I imagine this would make an incredible soda float, completely destroying its diet potential. It's still as good as I remember.

All in all, I give it a 4.5/5, if only because I would really like to try a non-diet version.
I saw this in our local Kroger yesterday, and remembered you reviewing it. I decided to pick it up. I just tried it - it's delicious! I'm not usually a fan of cherry - but there's enough chocolate fudge in here to balance it out. I don't know if this will be a regular staple in my fridge, but as an every once in a while kind of deal, it's very tasty. I actually think it's a little undercarbonated for my tastes, and there is a bit of a chemically aspartame taste - but overall, I like it.

"I just think your culinary choices could use more death of sentient creatures. Is that so wrong?" - Mini

-Rosebud- I am imagining how lovely it would be to see your golden hair rising up over my belly when you are between my thighs
-Rosebud- Like a cunnilingus sunrise
BigBeautifulMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 07:32 PM   #62
Yakatori
Hard to say, really...

Yakatori keeps pushing the rep limit!Yakatori keeps pushing the rep limit!Yakatori keeps pushing the rep limit!Yakatori keeps pushing the rep limit!Yakatori keeps pushing the rep limit!Yakatori keeps pushing the rep limit!Yakatori keeps pushing the rep limit!Yakatori keeps pushing the rep limit!Yakatori keeps pushing the rep limit!Yakatori keeps pushing the rep limit!Yakatori keeps pushing the rep limit!
Default I realize this thread is probably long dead, but...

I'm surprised no-one mentioned Snapple. Maybe because they don't make root-beer or other sodas anymore, least not far as I can tell; probably something about competing against their new parent company's brands. But I can tell you that it was a fantastic soft-drink, as was a few of their other sodas. It certainly didn't look the part of most root-beers, being clear like a plain seltzer. But the taste was, I dunno; to my young palate, it seemed quite refined. It would not surprise me to see it come back at some point, either in the form of some sort of limited supply, through internet-sales or whatnot.

It was truly a great soda.
Yakatori is offline   Reply With Quote