Dimensions Forums  
Home Register Premium Membership Health Issues Market Place Big Fashion

Go Back   Dimensions Forums > Discussion > The Foodee Board

Old 05-06-2011, 05:28 PM   #1
NancyGirl74

NancyGirl74 keeps pushing the rep limit!NancyGirl74 keeps pushing the rep limit!NancyGirl74 keeps pushing the rep limit!NancyGirl74 keeps pushing the rep limit!NancyGirl74 keeps pushing the rep limit!NancyGirl74 keeps pushing the rep limit!NancyGirl74 keeps pushing the rep limit!NancyGirl74 keeps pushing the rep limit!NancyGirl74 keeps pushing the rep limit!NancyGirl74 keeps pushing the rep limit!NancyGirl74 keeps pushing the rep limit!
Default May Iron Foodie Challenge

Thank you to everyone who voted for my April recipe.

I really had no idea what ingredient to choose so I let my mind wander...May May May...May means spring...Mother's Day...April showers bring May flowers. May flowers? May Flours? Flour! Yeah, it's an easy one but it's all I've got. Be creative, have fun!!

Here are the Past Iron Foodie Challenges:

Dec - Oranges

Jan - Cream Cheese
Feb - Soda pop
Mar - Recipes containing a can of soup
Apr – Shrimp
May – Eggs
Jun – Liquor
Jul - Pasta/couscous etc Salads
Aug – Zucchini
Sep - Quick breads / Muffins
Oct – Cheese
Nov – Cranberries
Dec - Fudge

Jan - Slow Cooker Recipe
Feb – Potatoes
Mar - Garlic and Mushrooms
Apr – Chicken
May – Lemons
Jun - 30 min Hot Weather Recipes
Jul - Preserves - Jams, Chutneys, Relishes etc
Aug – Coffee
Sep - Tofu / Cottage Cheese
October – Pumpkin
November - Sweet Potatoes/Yams
December - Mint

January – Soup
February – Pork
March-Mexican Food
April – Cereal
May- Berries
June-Yogurt
July – Corn
August – Asian
September - Breakfast foods
October – Nuts
November – Onions
December - Meat in Casings

January - Side Salads
February – Spinach
March – Beans
April-hot sandwiches
May-Soy Sauce
June – cookies
July - Sour Cream
August - (Summer Break)
Sept - BBQ Foods.
October - Southern cuisine
November - Peanut butter
December-"Packaged Food"

January – rice
February – chocolate
March - Irish food
April - Butter
NancyGirl74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 12:12 AM   #2
shinyapple
crunchy in milk

shinyapple never has a post go unnoticedshinyapple never has a post go unnoticedshinyapple never has a post go unnoticedshinyapple never has a post go unnoticedshinyapple never has a post go unnoticedshinyapple never has a post go unnoticedshinyapple never has a post go unnoticedshinyapple never has a post go unnoticed

Okay, I'll be first this time! I can't take the original credit for this recipe, but having made it...it's AMAZING. If you love cinnamon-y, buttery treats, this is one to go to. I ate one and sent the rest to work where my mother's coworkers declared them too dangerous to be brought in again.

Enjoy!

Cinnamon Blondies

1 cup plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
¼ teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1 stick unsalted butter
1 ½ cups light brown sugar
1 large egg plus one egg yolk, room temperature
1 ½ teaspoons vanilla

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line a 8 x 8 baking pan with parchment and grease the parchment. (I skipped the parchment and simply sprayed the baking dish with a good coating of Pam. The recipe has a sufficient amount of butter and it didn't stick at all.)

Sift the flour, salt and cinnamon together and set aside. Melt butter and brown sugar in saucepan until the sugar has dissolved. Cook one more minute until the mixture bubbles, but doesn’t boil. Set aside to cool – approximately 10 minutes. Add the egg, egg yolk, and vanilla to the brown sugar mixture and blend. Pour sugar and egg mixture over flour and stir until just blended.

Pour batter into the pan. Bake for 25 – 35 minutes until the center is springy; do not over bake. When it has cooled slightly, run a knife around the edges to loosen and invert onto a cooling rack. Let cool completely, then cut into small squares.
shinyapple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 03:17 PM   #3
MisticalMisty

MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.

I have some cinnamon chips..I bet those would be fantastic in this recipe. TFS!
MisticalMisty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 03:31 PM   #4
EMH1701

EMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions community

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinyapple View Post
Okay, I'll be first this time! I can't take the original credit for this recipe, but having made it...it's AMAZING. If you love cinnamon-y, buttery treats, this is one to go to. I ate one and sent the rest to work where my mother's coworkers declared them too dangerous to be brought in again.

Enjoy!

Cinnamon Blondies
This sounds very good. I wish I baked more than the occassional chocolate chip cookies and bread machine bread.
EMH1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 04:41 PM   #5
BBW Betty
Made My Saving Throw

BBW Betty has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!BBW Betty has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!BBW Betty has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!BBW Betty has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!BBW Betty has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!BBW Betty has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!BBW Betty has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!BBW Betty has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!BBW Betty has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!BBW Betty has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!BBW Betty has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Here's one I meant to post last month for butter, but didn't get around to it. It will also work for flour.

The No-Fail Pie Crust

2 -1/2 C flour
1 tbsp. cornstarch
pinch of salt
1 C butter, half-way softened (or other shortening)
1 tsp vinegar
1/2 C cold water

Combine dry ingredients. Cut in butter until crumbly. Add cold water and vinegar. Mix and roll out on a floured surface.

"Be the change you want to see in the world." --Mahatma Gandhi
BBW Betty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 10:42 AM   #6
NancyGirl74

NancyGirl74 keeps pushing the rep limit!NancyGirl74 keeps pushing the rep limit!NancyGirl74 keeps pushing the rep limit!NancyGirl74 keeps pushing the rep limit!NancyGirl74 keeps pushing the rep limit!NancyGirl74 keeps pushing the rep limit!NancyGirl74 keeps pushing the rep limit!NancyGirl74 keeps pushing the rep limit!NancyGirl74 keeps pushing the rep limit!NancyGirl74 keeps pushing the rep limit!NancyGirl74 keeps pushing the rep limit!

I guess Flour was a dud of a "secret ingredient". Ah well, thanks to the two people who have posted!

Here is mine. This came about when my Grandmother was spending a few nights at my house. She talked about some fried eggplant she had once years and years ago somewhere down south. She said that it was so yummy that she often tried it in restaurants up here but never found it to be the same. So, I went on good ol' Foodnetwork.com and found this. I don't have any pictures but it won rave reviews from Grandma. Perhaps not southern quality but it was darn good!

Fried Eggplant

Ingredients:
½ cup flour
3 eggs
2 cups fresh breadcrumbs
½ teaspoon salt *plus additional for sprinkling eggplant
1 tablespoon Emeril's Bayou Blast Essence seasoning *or something similar that you have on hand.
1 small eggplant cute crosswise into ¼ inch thick slices and quartered
Vegetable oil
Marinara sauce

Directions:
Place flour, egg, and breadcrumbs each in 3 bowls. Add the ½ tsp of salt to the eggs and whisk to combine. Season the breadcrumbs with the tablespoon of Essence and stir with fork or your fingers to thoroughly combine.

Dredge each piece of eggplant in the flour, coating thoroughly and then shaking to remove any excess flour. Coat each piece with the egg then dredge in the breadcrumbs. Press to make sure the breadcrumbs adhere. Transfer the eggplant pieces to a rack or paper towels to let them dry slightly before frying.

In a deep, heavy skillet heat ½ inch of vegetable oil to 375 degrees. Fry eggplant pieces in batches if necessary, for about 1 minute on each side or until golden brown. Transfer with tongs to paper towels to drain. Sprinkle lightly with salt before serving. Serve with marinara sauce or as desired.
NancyGirl74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 10:42 PM   #7
Fuzzy
Just a dirty old man

Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.
Default Cococut Pecan Milk Chocolate Chip cookies

1 1/2 cups pecan* gems (chopped)
1 cup flaked sweetened coconut
2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour**
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
14 tablespoons (1 3/4 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
3/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup packed brown sugar
1 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons vanilla
2 large eggs
1 cup semi-sweet or milk chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 350F.
Toast the pecans and coconut, stirring occasionally, in a baking pan until the coconut is very lightly browned.
Whisk together flour and baking soda in a bowl. Set aside.
Put butter and both sugars in a mixing bowl. Beat on medium until pale and fluffy. Reduce speed to low. Add salt, vanilla, and eggs. Mix until combined. Add flour mixture and mix until just combined. Stir in chocolate chips, coconut, and pecans.

Drop heaping tablespoons of dough onto baking sheet lined with parchment paper, spacing 2 inches apart. Bake until centers are set, 10 to 12 minutes.

* Or Walnuts.
**High-Altitude: Add an additional 1/4 cup flour.
Fuzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 09:48 PM   #8
one2one
Sentient little hedonist

one2one has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!one2one has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!one2one has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!one2one has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!one2one has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!one2one has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!one2one has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!one2one has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!one2one has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!one2one has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!one2one has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

About the same time the May challenge was posted, my copy of Flour: Spectacular Recipes from Boston’s Flour Bakery + Cafe came in on reserve at the library. I love the synchronicity of libraries!

Unfortunately, I haven't had time to test out the recipe I had planned on making. So, I offer it with that disclaimer and completely understand if it kind of disqualifies me in the polls. It just looks so fun that I thought I'd share it anyway, and I do want to try in when I have more time. Maybe next winter.

Homemade Pop-Tarts
Makes 8 pastries

Pâte Brisée (please see recipe below)
1 egg, lightly beaten
1 cup (340 grams) raspberry jam

Simple Vanilla Glaze
1 cup (140 grams) confectioners’ sugar
1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 to 3 tablespoons water

Position a rack in the center of the oven, and heat the oven to 350 degrees F.

Remove the dough from the refrigerator and divide it in half. Press each half into a rectangle. On a lightly floured surface, roll out each half into a 14-by-11-inch rectangle. Using a paring knife, lightly score 1 rectangle into eight 3 1/2-by-5 1/2-inch rectangles (about the size of an index card).

Brush the top surface of the entire scored rectangle with the egg. Spoon 2 tablespoons of the jam in a mound in the center of each scored rectangle. Lay the second large dough rectangle directly on top of the first. Using fingertips, carefully press down all around each jam mound, so the pastry sheets adhere to each other.

Using a knife, a pizza roller (easier), or a fluted roller (easier and prettier), and following the scored lines, cut the layered dough into 8 rectangles. Place the rectangles, well spaced, on a baking sheet.

Bake for 40 to 45 minutes, or until the tops of the pastries are evenly golden brown. Let cool on the baking sheet on a wire rack for about 30 minutes.

To make the glaze: While the pastries are cooling, in a small bowl, whisk together the confectioners’ sugar, vanilla, and enough of the water to make a smooth, pourable glaze. You should have about 1/2 cup. (The glaze can be made ahead and stored in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 1 week.)

When the pastries have cooled for 30 minutes, brush the tops evenly with the glaze. Let stand for 10 to 15 minutes to allow the glaze to set before serving.

The pastries can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 2 days.

Pâte Brisée

1 3/4 cups (245 grams) unbleached all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon sugar
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1 cup (2 sticks / 228 grams) cold unsalted butter, cut into 12 pieces
2 egg yolks
3 tablespoons cold milk

Using a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment (or a handheld mixer), mix together the flour, sugar, and salt for 10 to 15 seconds, or until combined. Scatter the butter over the top. Mix on low speed for 1 to 1 1/2 minutes, or just until the flour is no longer bright white and holds together when you clump it and lumps of butter the size of pecans are visible throughout.

In a small bowl, whisk together the egg yolks and milk until blended. Add to the flour mixture all at once. Mix on low speed for about 30 seconds, or until the dough just barely comes together. It will look really shaggy and more like a mess than a dough.

Dump the dough out onto an unfloured work surface, then gather it together into a tight mound. Using your palm and starting on one side of the mound, smear the dough bit by bit, starting at the top of the mound and then sliding your palm down the side and along the work surface, until most of the butter chunks are smeared into the dough and the dough comes together. Do this once or twice on each part of the dough, moving through the mound until the whole mess has been smeared into a cohesive dough with streaks of butter.

Gather up the dough, wrap tightly in plastic wrap, and press down to flatten into a disk about 1 inch thick. Refrigerate for at least 4 hours before using. The dough will keep in the refrigerator for up to 4 days or in the freezer for up to 1 month.

Last edited by one2one; 07-08-2012 at 10:04 AM.
one2one is offline   Reply With Quote