Dimensions Forums  
Home Register Premium Membership Stories Ye Olde Library Health Issues Market Place Big Fashion

Go Back   Dimensions Forums > Discussion > Weight Board

Old 04-14-2011, 02:48 PM   #1
louisaml
Princess

louisaml can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokeslouisaml can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokes
Angry Toilet Seat of Doom

I am so livid today and so embarrassed. Today I broke the second toilet seat that maintenance has installed. The first one I sat on and it broke so badly I got wedged between the toilet and the tub. They replaced it with a nice wooden one a month ago. I was like oh yes great the same one I had in the bathroom at my dads which was very heavy duty. I sat down on it today and the damn thing splintered and broke off like the other one. I am so embarrassed and am in tears. I do not want to go to maintenance again because the first time was awkward enough. I am going to have to go out of pocket to get a new one and I don't know where to go that wont break the bank. I know $20 is unreasonable but its really all I can afford since rent is due on the 1st. Has anyone ever had this problem before? I love my body and I would never change it for anything but I honestly think the complex is mocking me by installing one cheep seat after another.
Old 04-14-2011, 03:09 PM   #2
CastingPearls
Go Big Or Go Home

CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by louisaml View Post
I am so livid today and so embarrassed. Today I broke the second toilet seat that maintenance has installed. The first one I sat on and it broke so badly I got wedged between the toilet and the tub. They replaced it with a nice wooden one a month ago. I was like oh yes great the same one I had in the bathroom at my dads which was very heavy duty. I sat down on it today and the damn thing splintered and broke off like the other one. I am so embarrassed and am in tears. I do not want to go to maintenance again because the first time was awkward enough. I am going to have to go out of pocket to get a new one and I don't know where to go that wont break the bank. I know $20 is unreasonable but its really all I can afford since rent is due on the 1st. Has anyone ever had this problem before? I love my body and I would never change it for anything but I honestly think the complex is mocking me by installing one cheep seat after another.
Go to Home Depot or Lowes. They have seats that are inexpensive that show the weight limit on the box and some even have guarantees. FTR--I was around 500 lbs. when I would break them every now and then until I found one that still hasn't broken in four years now.

Sorry I don't have a model# but the brand is Kohler.

Free me, free yourself
A life of sacrifice controlled me
But those promises I made
No longer hold me
Mercurial more wayward by the hour
The shackles fall away I'm in your power

People throw rocks at things that shine.
CastingPearls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 03:50 PM   #3
Zandoz
Highly irregular

Location: Turn left at the Pharos, then right at the library...Alexandria KY
Zandoz has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Zandoz has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Zandoz has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Zandoz has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Zandoz has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Zandoz has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Zandoz has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Zandoz has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Zandoz has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Zandoz has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Zandoz has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

I break them pretty regularly. A couple things I've done to extend the life....
  • Get the seats that are either wood or composite...not plastic
  • Get one that has a bar that goes all the way across between the hinges
  • The hinges should be metal or brass....again, not plastic
  • Go to a plumbing supply place and get extra of the rubber bumpers that go under the seat. Most seats come with 2 or 4. 4 is better, but I add additional ones so that there are 5 or 6

Blessed is he who has learned to laugh at himself, for he shall never cease to be entertained. -- John Boswell

The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a fool -- William Shakespeare, As You Like It, Act II, Scene VII

History doesn't repeat itself - at best it sometimes rhymes -- Mark Twain

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Zandoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 04:09 PM   #4
penguin
Fnord

penguin has ascended what used to be the highest level.penguin has ascended what used to be the highest level.penguin has ascended what used to be the highest level.penguin has ascended what used to be the highest level.penguin has ascended what used to be the highest level.penguin has ascended what used to be the highest level.penguin has ascended what used to be the highest level.penguin has ascended what used to be the highest level.penguin has ascended what used to be the highest level.penguin has ascended what used to be the highest level.penguin has ascended what used to be the highest level.

I had the lid of the seat break when I was in labour at the hospital. I don't know if I leant back on it wrong as I had a contraction while on the toilet or if it was already weakened from lots of use.
Old 04-14-2011, 08:53 PM   #5
louisaml
Princess

louisaml can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokeslouisaml can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokes

Thanks for all the help. I will check it out tomorrow. It just sucks having a dumb expense like this especially with tomorrow being my first payday from my new job. Oh and my brother in law sat on it cause he didn't notice it was broken and fell into the bowl and thought he was drowning, but then again he is a drunk.

Last edited by louisaml; 04-14-2011 at 08:56 PM.
louisaml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 12:24 PM   #6
Pauline

Pauline never has a post go unnoticedPauline never has a post go unnoticedPauline never has a post go unnoticedPauline never has a post go unnoticedPauline never has a post go unnoticedPauline never has a post go unnoticedPauline never has a post go unnoticedPauline never has a post go unnoticed
Smile Hi...

Even when i was 700lbs i only broke one seat and it was after 3 years. Are you sitting square on the seat? Sitting a little too far to either side can cause a problem too. So ive heard of these great, large toliet seats...i havent tried them but they look great! They cost alot too....$124, but maybe worth the investment! Good luck!

http://www.brylanehome.com/decor/Big...roductTypeId=1

~Paulee
Attached Images
File Type: jpg big seat.jpg (18.4 KB, 1156 views)
Pauline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 05:08 PM   #7
Zandoz
Highly irregular

Location: Turn left at the Pharos, then right at the library...Alexandria KY
Zandoz has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Zandoz has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Zandoz has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Zandoz has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Zandoz has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Zandoz has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Zandoz has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Zandoz has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Zandoz has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Zandoz has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Zandoz has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pauline View Post
Even when i was 700lbs i only broke one seat and it was after 3 years. Are you sitting square on the seat? Sitting a little too far to either side can cause a problem too. So ive heard of these great, large toliet seats...i havent tried them but they look great! They cost alot too....$124, but maybe worth the investment! Good luck!

http://www.brylanehome.com/decor/Big...roductTypeId=1

~Paulee

I've tried them...don't waist your money. They make the after "clean up" more difficult...causing more twisting and turning to accomplish what's needed...which because of their size means more torque and broken drain flanges. Been there, done that, twice.

Blessed is he who has learned to laugh at himself, for he shall never cease to be entertained. -- John Boswell

The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a fool -- William Shakespeare, As You Like It, Act II, Scene VII

History doesn't repeat itself - at best it sometimes rhymes -- Mark Twain

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Zandoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 05:38 PM   #8
CastingPearls
Go Big Or Go Home

CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zandoz View Post
I've tried them...don't waist your money. They make the after "clean up" more difficult...causing more twisting and turning to accomplish what's needed...which because of their size means more torque and broken drain flanges. Been there, done that, twice.
When the Big John first came out, my first thought was that the overhang could potentially cause discomfort to people with very large thighs. I haven't honestly heard any good reviews on it.

Free me, free yourself
A life of sacrifice controlled me
But those promises I made
No longer hold me
Mercurial more wayward by the hour
The shackles fall away I'm in your power

People throw rocks at things that shine.
CastingPearls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 07:47 PM   #9
musicman
I hate fat-haters!

musicman makes people happy simply by logging inmusicman makes people happy simply by logging inmusicman makes people happy simply by logging inmusicman makes people happy simply by logging inmusicman makes people happy simply by logging inmusicman makes people happy simply by logging inmusicman makes people happy simply by logging inmusicman makes people happy simply by logging in

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zandoz View Post
Go to a plumbing supply place and get extra of the rubber bumpers that go under the seat. Most seats come with 2 or 4. 4 is better, but I add additional ones so that there are 5 or 6
That's good advice. Adding extra bumpers will prolong the life of your toilet seat. You can get them at Lowes or Home Depot. They are cheap and easy to install. Also, keep the screws tight underneath, so the seat doesn't slide around. There is a longer thread dealing with this, and other home maintenance issues here: http://www.dimensionsmagazine.com/fo...ad.php?t=62216
Old 04-16-2011, 05:31 AM   #10
LifeTraveller
Sporadic Poster

LifeTraveller carries a lot of weight on this boardLifeTraveller carries a lot of weight on this boardLifeTraveller carries a lot of weight on this boardLifeTraveller carries a lot of weight on this boardLifeTraveller carries a lot of weight on this board

I concur with Zandoz's post, you must have sturdier hinges, and normally a "brand name" would mean something, but in this day when most everything is made less sturdy, you never know.

My wife at her heaviest was well over 500 pounds and we never had an issue with toilet seats. Kohler has pretty much always been my choice, I did find beautiful "oak" one, at a local, plumbing supply, while pricier, it was exceptionally well made. . Just my 2 cents tossed in.
Old 04-16-2011, 06:41 AM   #11
louisaml
Princess

I got one that is sturdy and soft. It was on the clearance shelf at home depot. I think the main reason they kept breaking was because maintenance got the really cheep ones and they were not installed right. The other 2 moved around and this one is locked in nice and tight.
Old 05-04-2011, 01:18 PM   #12
tjw1971

tjw1971 can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokestjw1971 can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokes
Default Makes sense ....

When I moved into my place, they had recently rehabbed it and of course, used all the cheapest possible stuff. The toilets were no exception. All 3 had the cheapest, thin plastic seats you could find.

I made a trip to Lowe's and was surprised to find that although most of their replacement seats were upwards of $20 each, one of the more sturdy looking ones was a solid wood one with a white laminate coating over it, in a plain cardboard box, for only about $5! I think the box said they were made in Mexico -- but had barely any other print on it. It's been a big improvement for very little money. Still need to replace the cheap plastic hinges with something better, though. That's always the "weak spot" now, since they constantly need re-tightening to keep from working loose and making the seat move left and right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by louisaml View Post
I got one that is sturdy and soft. It was on the clearance shelf at home depot. I think the main reason they kept breaking was because maintenance got the really cheep ones and they were not installed right. The other 2 moved around and this one is locked in nice and tight.
tjw1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 07:15 PM   #13
seavixen
Ditz Extraordinaire

seavixen has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!seavixen has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!seavixen has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!seavixen has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!seavixen has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!seavixen has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!seavixen has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!seavixen has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!seavixen has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!seavixen has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!seavixen has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

My mom and I used to go through so many toilet seats. She's tall and she has RA with bad knees, so she would sit too hard on the seat - and I'm just heavy, so, whatever. I dunno if it's just the brand (I think it's a Kohler) but when they switched out the standard toilet for a taller one with a more oblong seat (it's the stock one that came with) - no breakage whatsoever. It's been over a year. So it could be that a taller toilet helps prolong the seat life as well, if you're tall or you sit high from a large derriere (as I do). It's easier to sit down and get up, with more of the weight going to your legs.

As someone mentioned, making sure the seat stays tightly affixed definitely helps as well. I never though of the bumper thing... great tip!
seavixen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 04:00 PM   #14
Gr8tBigWorld
Klaatu barada nikto

Gr8tBigWorld can now change their title
Default Wall mounted toilets

Does anyone else's heart skip a beat when you go into a public restroom and see that the toilet is mounted by sticking out of the wall instead of secured on the floor? I'm always afraid they will bend down or break.
Gr8tBigWorld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 04:20 PM   #15
bobsjers

bobsjers has said some nice things

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gr8tBigWorld View Post
Does anyone else's heart skip a beat when you go into a public restroom and see that the toilet is mounted by sticking out of the wall instead of secured on the floor? I'm always afraid they will bend down or break.
Yes, you have to be careful. One person broke one in the doctor's office. Her exit from the bathroom was preceeded by a loud crash and a flood of water. Be sure to sit evenly. At NAAFA conventions, they put wood under the wall hung toliets.
bobsjers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 04:23 PM   #16
bigsexy920
Ok I'll be good.

bigsexy920 keeps pushing the rep limit!bigsexy920 keeps pushing the rep limit!bigsexy920 keeps pushing the rep limit!bigsexy920 keeps pushing the rep limit!bigsexy920 keeps pushing the rep limit!bigsexy920 keeps pushing the rep limit!bigsexy920 keeps pushing the rep limit!bigsexy920 keeps pushing the rep limit!bigsexy920 keeps pushing the rep limit!bigsexy920 keeps pushing the rep limit!bigsexy920 keeps pushing the rep limit!

Yes totally hate them, they are usually at hospitals and dr's offices too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gr8tBigWorld View Post
bigsexy920 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 04:45 AM   #17
Russell Williams

Russell Williams is a pillar of the Dimensions communityRussell Williams is a pillar of the Dimensions communityRussell Williams is a pillar of the Dimensions communityRussell Williams is a pillar of the Dimensions communityRussell Williams is a pillar of the Dimensions communityRussell Williams is a pillar of the Dimensions communityRussell Williams is a pillar of the Dimensions communityRussell Williams is a pillar of the Dimensions communityRussell Williams is a pillar of the Dimensions communityRussell Williams is a pillar of the Dimensions communityRussell Williams is a pillar of the Dimensions community
Default How to get attention paid to the problems of wall-mounted toilets.

'
What I feel up to activism and I am in a restaurant that has wall-mounted seats I will ask someone what the load limits are on the toilets. Usually the store employer offhandedly says something to the effect that they do not know. Then I ask what I call a "hook" question. I ask, "if my large friend who is with me should use that toilet and it should pull away from the wall who pays for the repairs? You or me?"

Then they usually start asking questions of their superiors and I point out that my friend is not the only fat person in town that might want to come into their restaurant and at some point before during or after the meal wish to use the toilet.
Russell Williams is offline   Reply With Quote