Dimensions Forums  
Home Register Premium Membership Health Issues Market Place Big Fashion

Go Back   Dimensions Forums > Discussion > The Foodee Board

Old 06-05-2011, 01:39 PM   #1
Fuzzy
Just a dirty old man

Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.
Default June 2011 Iron Foodee Challenge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wikipedia
Father's Day is a celebration of fathers inaugurated in the early twentieth century to complement Mother's Day in celebrating fatherhood and male parenting. It is also celebrated to honor and commemorate our forefathers. Father's Day is celebrated on a variety of dates worldwide and typically involves gift-giving, special dinners to fathers, and family-oriented activities.
This month's Iron Foodee Challenge is your Dad's (or nearest equivalent) favorite dish. Anything goes, though I would prefer it be the main course, side, or dessert prepared for him on Father's Day (or nearest equivalent, ie. birthday)

I've reformatted the past Iron Foodee Challenges:
2006 Dec - Oranges

2007 Jan - Cream Cheese, Feb - Soda pop, Mar - Recipes containing a can of soup, Apr Shrimp, May Eggs, Jun Liquor, Jul - Pasta/couscous etc Salads, Aug Zucchini, Sep - Quick breads / Muffins, Oct Cheese, Nov Cranberries, Dec - Fudge

2008 Jan - Slow Cooker Recipe, Feb Potatoes, Mar - Garlic and Mushrooms, Apr Chicken, May Lemons, Jun - 30 min Hot Weather Recipes, Jul - Preserves - Jams, Chutneys, Relishes etc, Aug Coffee, Sep - Tofu / Cottage Cheese, October Pumpkin, November - Sweet Potatoes/Yams, December - Mint

2009 January Soup, February Pork, March-Mexican Food, April Cereal, May- Berries, June-Yogurt, July Corn, August Asian
September - Breakfast foods, October Nuts, November Onions, December - Meat in Casings

2010 January - Side Salads, February Spinach, March Beans, April-hot sandwiches, May-Soy Sauce, June cookies, July - Sour Cream
August - (Summer Break), Sept - BBQ Foods, October - Southern cuisine, November - Peanut butter, December-"Packaged Food"

2011 January rice, February chocolate, March - Irish food, April - Butter, May - Flour

Summary of Ingredients used:
-------------------------------
Beverage - Coffee, Liquor, Soda Pop (general)
Condiments - Soy Sauce
Dairy - Butter, Cheese (general), Cottage Cheese, Cream Cheese, Sour Cream, Yogurt
Herb - Mint
Fruit - Berries, Cranberries, Jam/Preserves, Lemons, Oranges
Meat/Protein - Beans, Chicken, Eggs, Nuts, Peanut Butter, Pork, Sausage/In Casings, Shrimp, Tofu
Grain - Cereal, Flour (general), Muffins, Pasta, Rice
Veggie - Corn, Garlic/Mushrooms, Onions, Potatoes, Pumpkin, Salads, Spinach, Sweet Potatoes/Yams, Zucchini
Misc - Soup, "Packaged Food"
Dessert - Chocolate, Cookies, Fudge
Cuisine - Asian, BBQ, Breakfast, Hot Sandwiches, Hot Weather, Irish, Mexican, Slow Cooker, Soup, Southern
Fuzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 03:31 PM   #2
Ruby Ripples
Dis Member

Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.

smooth peanut butter eaten out of the jar with a teaspoon

Green Giant sweetcorn

lol

I luvs you fuzzy but I dont like your re-formatting of the previous ingredients. they were much easier to read before, scanning down the list.
Ruby Ripples is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 09:31 AM   #3
Fuzzy
Just a dirty old man

Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Ouch. You could at least post one of your amazing recipes...
Old 06-18-2011, 07:53 PM   #4
MisticalMisty

MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Yummy Battered Dipped Fried Fish

Fish: I used 1 lb tilapia fillets. Any white fish will do.

Batter:

2 cups of water or beer
2 cups of flour
2 tbsp canola oil
2 eggs
2 tsp salt
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp onion powder
1/4-1/2 tsp cayenne pepper: to taste

Combine all ingredients in bowl. Allow batter to rest for 30 minutes. In deep fryer or large dutch oven heat 3-4 cups of oil to 350 degrees. Dip fish into batter and then immediately place in hot oil. I kept it to 3 pieces at a time. Cook 4 minutes per side, remove from oil and let drain on rack with paper towels or a paper sack underneath.

I served this with fries and some yummy tartar sauce!
MisticalMisty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 12:03 AM   #5
Fuzzy
Just a dirty old man

Default 2-layer Key Lime Pie

1 1/2 cups graham cracker crumbs (or prepared shell)
1/4 cup butter, melted
3 tablespoons sugar
1 can sweetened condensed milk
3 egg yolks
1/2 cup key lime juice (Fresh if you can find them in season)
1 package cream cheese (8 oz)
2 tablespoons sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 cup key lime juice
1/2 cup sweetened condensed milk

Combine graham cracker crumbs, butter, and sugar and press into pie pan. Place into 350 degree oven and bake for 10 minutes.

Combine condensed milk, lime juice, and egg yolks. Pour into crust and bake for 20 minutes at 325 degrees.

Remove and let cool completely.

Mix together room temperature cream cheese, vanilla, condensed milk, lime juice and sugar. Pour carefully onto key lime filling and refrigerate until set. Serve garnished with whipped cream.

I was going to post my father's favorite, but I couldn't find fresh rhubarb; so I made this recipe for myself.
Old 06-25-2011, 02:35 PM   #6
EMH1701

EMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions community

My father's favorite is grilled hamburgers or steak.

Not much of a recipe there. But he always does the steak perfectly. :/

I will add my own recipe for Julia Child'ed-up steak. Er. Is that a word?

What you do is this:

Get a frying pan. Add 2 or 3 tbsp. of butter. Melt it a bit.

Saute' about 1/2 an onion, diced. Add some quartered mushrooms, about 1 cup. Be careful not to crowd the mushrooms. Set the frying pan aside, off heat, once the mushrooms are cooked.

In another frying pan, add a couple more tbsp. of butter. Add about 1/4 cup alcohol of choice. I prefer to use red wine for this, but you can vary the flavor with different types. Then add your steak.

Season your steak with a little salt, pepper, basil, and oregano. Add the onions and mushrooms when it is almost done so they get heated up.

If you want, you can cook your onions and mushrooms separately. I just try to dirty up as few pans as possible because my dishwasher is crappy and I usually wind up washing them manually after a couple tries in the dishwasher.

A couple of twists on this:

For spicy steak, add chili powder and hot sauce instead of basil and oregano. A few sliced-up red peppers and tomatoes make a great addition.

Tequila lime steak: Saute' your steak in tequila, omit the basil and oregano, and add lime juice. This tates pretty good despite the fact that it sounds a bit weird.

Last edited by EMH1701; 06-25-2011 at 02:53 PM.
EMH1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 04:32 PM   #7
Fuzzy
Just a dirty old man

Thanks to those who participated - The Poll has been posted