Dimensions Forums  
Home Register Premium Membership Stories Ye Olde Library Health Issues Market Place Big Fashion

Go Back   Dimensions Forums > Discussion > The Foodee Board

Old 06-28-2011, 06:23 PM   #1
Fat Brian
retarded disfigured clown

Fat Brian has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Fat Brian has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Fat Brian has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Fat Brian has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Fat Brian has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Fat Brian has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Fat Brian has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Fat Brian has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Fat Brian has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Fat Brian has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Fat Brian has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!
Default Would you eat it ? In vitro meat

Dutch scientists are developing meat grown from stem cells. This isn't the poo-meat from Japan but its still pretty weird. The biggest question is, would you eat it ?

http://www.newsmax.com/FastFeatures/...6/27/id/401626
Fat Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 06:31 PM   #2
Dr. Feelgood
intellectual nerd

Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.

It's the only kind of meat I would eat.
'Bout fo' hundred pound...
-- Dr. Feelgood & the Interns
Dr. Feelgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 06:49 PM   #3
Fat Brian

Fat Brian has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Fat Brian has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Fat Brian has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Fat Brian has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Fat Brian has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Fat Brian has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Fat Brian has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Fat Brian has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Fat Brian has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Fat Brian has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Fat Brian has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

I imagine the most effective use of this stuff would be for making ground beef and in prepared meat products. That would leave the real beef for steaks and roasts, things with real meat texture.
Old 06-30-2011, 10:31 AM   #4
smithnwesson
Drug dealer

smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

I think not. The thought of test-tube hamburger don't seem to be doin' nuffin' to my salivary glands. . .

- Jim
Old 06-30-2011, 02:29 PM   #5
Dr. Feelgood
intellectual nerd

Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smithnwesson View Post
The thought of test-tube hamburger don't seem to be doin' nuffin' to my salivary glands. . .

- Jim
Which goes to show how much of our sense of taste is psychological. The office where my wife used to work had a potluck once a month, and she would bring a vegetarian dish featuring some sort of mock meat. Everyone would pile into it and rave ... until they discovered it wasn't actual beef or chicken. It got to where some of the workers had to be told in advance which dish was Jeanette's so they could avoid it ... because otherwise they'd eat it without realizing it wasn't meat.
Old 06-30-2011, 02:40 PM   #6
ObiWantsU

ObiWantsU can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokesObiWantsU can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokes

I guess I'd have to eat it to see if I would eat it, so, uh, yeah. :-P
Old 06-30-2011, 03:18 PM   #7
Elfcat
Radical FPL from Hell

Elfcat never has a post go unnoticedElfcat never has a post go unnoticedElfcat never has a post go unnoticedElfcat never has a post go unnoticedElfcat never has a post go unnoticedElfcat never has a post go unnoticedElfcat never has a post go unnoticedElfcat never has a post go unnoticed

I'd give it a try. Hopefully they can do it with as many organic inputs as possible.
Elfcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 10:23 PM   #8
smithnwesson
Drug dealer

smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Feelgood View Post
Which goes to show how much of our sense of taste is psychological. The office where my wife used to work had a potluck once a month, and she would bring a vegetarian dish featuring some sort of mock meat. Everyone would pile into it and rave ... until they discovered it wasn't actual beef or chicken. It got to where some of the workers had to be told in advance which dish was Jeanette's so they could avoid it ... because otherwise they'd eat it without realizing it wasn't meat.
There's a very interesting book about why people prefer certain foods and are disgusted by others (we can eat almost anything, which is why our species has expanded to cover almost all of this globe).

Check it out: Unmentionable Cuisine
Old 06-30-2011, 11:28 PM   #9
Dromond
Old school

Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.

We eat all sorts of industrial created crapola anyway, this could hardly be worse. In fact, it would be better. It wouldn't be laden with antibiotics and growth hormones. Yeah, put that sucker on my plate. I'd chow it down.
Old 07-08-2011, 04:22 PM   #10
EMH1701

EMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions community

Perhaps. It depends on a number of factors.
EMH1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 04:29 AM   #11
veggieforever
High Carb Low Fat Vegan

veggieforever makes people happy simply by logging inveggieforever makes people happy simply by logging inveggieforever makes people happy simply by logging inveggieforever makes people happy simply by logging inveggieforever makes people happy simply by logging inveggieforever makes people happy simply by logging inveggieforever makes people happy simply by logging inveggieforever makes people happy simply by logging inveggieforever makes people happy simply by logging inveggieforever makes people happy simply by logging in
Default No, no, no, no, no!! :oP

eat fresh, eat healthy, eat wisely.

My advice is stay away from this kind of food, folks. Nothing good can come from it. The idea of this is yuckie-yuck-yuck!!! xXx
Old 07-11-2011, 08:16 AM   #12
Dr. Feelgood
intellectual nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by veggieforever View Post
eat fresh, eat healthy, eat wisely.

My advice is stay away from this kind of food, folks.
You may be right, but I'd be interested in hearing your reasoning. You say, "Eat fresh, eat healthy, eat wisely." But surely meat grown in vitro and taken directly to the retailer is even fresher than meat that has been taken from the slaughterhouse to the distributor's warehouse, kept there under refrigeration, then trucked to the retail outlet? And since in vitro meat is grown from the same cells that carnivores eat as food, and is therefore identical to slaughtered meat, it must be equally healthy, must it not? So if it is wise to eat meat from the slaughterhouse, it must be equally wise to eat it from the test tube, no? Or perhaps this is why we are both vegetarians.
Old 07-12-2011, 02:26 PM   #13
veggieforever
High Carb Low Fat Vegan

veggieforever makes people happy simply by logging inveggieforever makes people happy simply by logging inveggieforever makes people happy simply by logging inveggieforever makes people happy simply by logging inveggieforever makes people happy simply by logging inveggieforever makes people happy simply by logging inveggieforever makes people happy simply by logging inveggieforever makes people happy simply by logging inveggieforever makes people happy simply by logging inveggieforever makes people happy simply by logging in
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Feelgood View Post
You may be right, but I'd be interested in hearing your reasoning. You say, "Eat fresh, eat healthy, eat wisely." But surely meat grown in vitro and taken directly to the retailer is even fresher than meat that has been taken from the slaughterhouse to the distributor's warehouse, kept there under refrigeration, then trucked to the retail outlet? And since in vitro meat is grown from the same cells that carnivores eat as food, and is therefore identical to slaughtered meat, it must be equally healthy, must it not? So if it is wise to eat meat from the slaughterhouse, it must be equally wise to eat it from the test tube, no? Or perhaps this is why we are both vegetarians.
Any food that begins with 'in vitro' doesnt make one want to eat it. The fact we are vegetarians means that slaughter in any form doesnt sit right with us but 'in vitro' deepens my sadness. Scientific intervention with a method of meat production does not - I'm sure - sit well with most. It all comes down down to personal choice and mine is to forever be a dedicated vegetarian. I do not need a qualified scientist to tamper with my foods. I visit local organic farms, buy fresh and keep my diet as untainted as possible. Does the sentence "eat meat from a testube" make a meat eater feel cofortable instead of meat as it is "traditionally" processed? It has worked for hundreds of years for our forefathers. Maybe we should ask ourselves WHY do it from a testube instead of "traditionally". If it aint broke and all that. My vegetarianism is MY choice, I dont agree with slaughter in any way but I respect anyone who see's and chooses otherwise :o) choice is a wonderful thing but what I hve learned is my opinion will count for very little as food producers will do what they will do regardless of you or me for their profit margins etc.
Old 07-12-2011, 05:42 PM   #14
Fat Brian

The thing about this process is that the "parent" animal doesn't have to be killed to produce the "meat", its cells could be harvested from a small tissue sample and then be sent on its merry way. This is far better than the shit meat from this thread: http://www.dimensionsmagazine.com/fo...ad.php?t=86572

It would be interesting to see if they can make a death-free meat substitute that most meat eaters would enjoy. This also helps to solve the problems associated with huge cattle ranches. This product also wouldn't require any of the antibiotics that a normal cow gets during its life. PETA has made me violently anti-animal rights, every time they make the news I hit a squirrel with my car in protest, but this product is interesting. Even if it only replaces the meat in processed and pet foods it would make a huge dent in the amount of livestock animals needed.
Old 07-12-2011, 06:51 PM   #15
Dr. Feelgood
intellectual nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by veggieforever View Post
Maybe we should ask ourselves WHY do it from a testube instead of "traditionally". If it aint broke and all that.

It's broke. This is why, here in America anyway, 80% of our beef comes from feed lots and virtually 100% of our chicken and turkey comes from factory farms. A very few farmers still raise animals the traditional way, and rich people and upscale restaurants buy all they raise: nobody else can afford it. In 1972(according to a book called Who Owns America?, published that year) ten percent of the population owned 90% of the country's wealth; 20 years later (same book, new edition) five percent of the people owned 90% of the wealth. As the wealth gets more concentrated, ordinary people have to cut back on lots of things ... including meat? Not if the meat industry can make it cheaper -- by eliminating feed, mass antibiotics to prevent epidemics, electric sensors and armed guards to prevent the public from entering (or even getting a look at) their "farms", and a massive waste disposal problem. In vitro meat will eliminate all these expenses. I suspect that within twenty years there will still be a few traditional farms raising meat for the wealthy, but everyone else will eat in vitro meat without imagining that there is any other kind.
Old 07-13-2011, 05:31 AM   #16
veggieforever
High Carb Low Fat Vegan

And this is why I am vegetarian.