Dimensions Forums  
Home Register Premium Membership Stories Ye Olde Library Health Issues Market Place Big Fashion

Go Back   Dimensions Forums > Discussion > The Foodee Board

Old 07-05-2011, 06:04 AM   #1
MisticalMisty

MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.
Default July Iron Foodee Challenge

Thanks everyone for their vote! I'm surprised this ingredient hasn't been used before..so here goes!

July's ingredient is... Mayonnaise. Homemade or store bought, I would love to see your recipes using mayo *or Miracle Whip*

Now, I say unto you the words of my uncle.........Let's eat

Dec - Oranges

Jan - Cream Cheese
Feb - Soda pop
Mar - Recipes containing a can of soup
Apr – Shrimp
May – Eggs
Jun – Liquor
Jul - Pasta/couscous etc Salads
Aug – Zucchini
Sep - Quick breads / Muffins
Oct – Cheese
Nov – Cranberries
Dec - Fudge

Jan - Slow Cooker Recipe
Feb – Potatoes
Mar - Garlic and Mushrooms
Apr – Chicken
May – Lemons
Jun - 30 min Hot Weather Recipes
Jul - Preserves - Jams, Chutneys, Relishes etc
Aug – Coffee
Sep - Tofu / Cottage Cheese
October – Pumpkin
November - Sweet Potatoes/Yams
December - Mint

January – Soup
February – Pork
March-Mexican Food
April – Cereal
May- Berries
June-Yogurt
July – Corn
August – Asian
September - Breakfast foods
October – Nuts
November – Onions
December - Meat in Casings

January - Side Salads
February – Spinach
March – Beans
April-hot sandwiches
May-Soy Sauce
June – cookies
July - Sour Cream
August - (Summer Break)
Sept - BBQ Foods.
October - Southern cuisine
November - Peanut butter
December-"Packaged Food"

January – rice
February – chocolate
March - Irish food
April - Butter
May- Flour
June-Father's Day Recipes
July-Mayo/Miracle Whip
MisticalMisty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 03:34 PM   #2
BBW Betty
Made My Saving Throw

BBW Betty has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!BBW Betty has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!BBW Betty has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!BBW Betty has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!BBW Betty has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!BBW Betty has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!BBW Betty has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!BBW Betty has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!BBW Betty has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!BBW Betty has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!BBW Betty has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Easy 7-layer Salad

Layer in a 9 x 13 cake pan:

1. Shredded or chopped lettuce (any variety)
2. fresh or frozen peas
3. chopped celery
4. shredded carrots
5. chopped onion
6. shredded cheese (any variety - I prefer cheddar)
7. Top w/ Mayonnaise (and sprinkle on bacon bits if desired). A 1-pint jar of mayo is the perfect amount, and it doesn't have to be mixed with anything else.

"Be the change you want to see in the world." --Mahatma Gandhi
BBW Betty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 05:05 PM   #3
PamelaLois
ILL-INI

PamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions community

Just made this tonight for dinner.......

Tuna Salad

3 5oz cans water packed chunk light tuna, drained
3 hard boiled eggs, chopped
1 green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
1 medium onion, chopped
1 14oz can petite peas, drained
1/4 cup or enough mayonnaise to bind the stuff together

Mix everything in a big bowl. Serve however you want, I like it on toast with sliced tomatoes.
Old 07-11-2011, 07:16 PM   #4
TheMrs

TheMrs does more than just post hot picsTheMrs does more than just post hot picsTheMrs does more than just post hot pics

Mayo Mocha Cake

2 c. all-purpose flour
1 c. real mayonnaise
1 c. sugar
1 c. cold cold coffee
1/3 c. unsweetened cocoa powder
2 tsp. vanilla extract
2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Combine all ingredients in bowl and whisk until very smooth. Pour into 2 greased and floured 8 inch round pans. Bake 25-30 minutes until toothpick inserted comes out clean. Cool 5 minutes in pan. Then turn upside down on wire racks. Completely cool.

fudge frosting:

3 c. powdered sugar
1/2 c. unsweetened cocoa powder
1/2 c. (1 stick butter), softened
3 tbsp. coffee
1 tsp. vanilla

Combine and heat until smooth and creamy. Frost cooled cake.
TheMrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 06:45 PM   #5
Mishty
aluminum petunia

Mishty has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mishty has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mishty has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mishty has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mishty has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mishty has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mishty has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mishty has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mishty has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mishty has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mishty has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Southern Tomato Pie

2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 3/4 teaspoons salt, divided
3/4 stick (6 tablespoons or 3 ounces) cold unsalted butter, cut into 1/2-inch
cubes, plus 2 teaspoons melted
3/4 cup whole milk

(Store bought crust can be used, either two pie crust in a pan, or a sheet of pie crust)

1/3 cup mayonnaise(I use more, because I like it really creamy)
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1 3/4 pounds beefsteak tomatoes
2 tablespoons finely chopped basil, divided(optional)
1 tablespoon finely chopped chives, divide
1/4 teaspoon black pepper, divide
7 ounces coarsely grated sharp Cheddar (1 3/4 cups), divide

Pie crust:

Whisk together flour, baking powder, and 3/4 tsp salt in a bowl, then blend in cold butter (3/4 stick) with your fingertips or a pastry blender until it resembles coarse meal. Add milk, stirring until mixture just forms a dough, then gather into a ball.

Divide dough in half and roll out one piece on a well-floured counter (my choice) or between two sheets of plastic wrap (the recipe’s suggestion, but I imagined it would annoyingly stick to the plastic) into a 12-inch round (1/8 inch thick). Either fold the round gently in quarters, lift it into a 9-inch pie plate and gently unfold and center it or, if you’re using the plastic warp method, remove top sheet of plastic wrap, then lift dough using bottom sheet of plastic wrap and invert into pie plate. Pat the dough in with your fingers trim any overhang.

(Use store bought pie crust the same way)

Preheat oven to 400°F with rack in middle. Whisk together mayonnaise and lemon juice.

Cut an X in bottom of each tomato and blanch in a large pot of boiling water 10 seconds. Immediately transfer with a slotted spoon to an ice bath to cool. Peel tomatoes, then slice crosswise 1/4 inch thick and, if desired (see Notes above recipe), gently remove seeds and extra juices.I skip this step,and slice the tomatoes whole. I don't mind the tomato skins and seeds, this is up to you.

Arrange half of tomatoes in crust, overlapping, and sprinkle with one tablespoon basil, 1/2 tablespoon chives, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/8 teaspoon pepper and one cup of grated cheese. Repeat layering with remaining tomatoes,basil, chives, salt, and pepper. Pour lemon mayonnaise over filling and sprinkle with remaining cheese.

Roll out remaining piece of dough into a 12-inch round in same manner, then fit over filling, folding overhang under edge of bottom crust and pinching edge to seal. Cut 4 steam vents in top crust and brush crust with melted butter (2 teaspoons). Bake pie until crust is golden and filling is bubbling, 30 to 35 minutes, then cool on a rack. Serve warm or at room temperature.

Do ahead: Pie can be baked 1 day ahead and chilled. Reheat in a 350°F oven until warm, about 30 minutes.
Well I ain't really falling asleep; I'm fading to black.
Mishty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 05:20 PM   #6
EMH1701

EMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions community
Default Coleslaw (variant on Julia Child's recipe)

Get 2 bags of the shredded coleslaw mix from the grocery store (the stuff containing cabbage, carrots, etc.).

Put in large bowl.

Add to that 1 chopped apple, 1 1/2 tbsp. Dijon mustard, 2 pinches of parsley, pinch of caraway seed, pinch of celery seed, salt & pepper to taste, pinch of sugar, 2 tbsp. vinegar, 3/4 cup mayo.

Stir like crazy.

You will have yourself some really good coleslaw.
EMH1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 08:32 PM   #7
one2one
Sentient little hedonist

one2one has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!one2one has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!one2one has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!one2one has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!one2one has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!one2one has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!one2one has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!one2one has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!one2one has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!one2one has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!one2one has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

I made this last week and think I got the spices just right. All proportions are to your taste.

Shrimp Salad:

Orzo, cooked as directed and drained
small, cooked shrimp
frozen baby peas, thawed
Hellmann's real mayonnaise
scallion, chopped (I used just a small amount)
parsley, chopped
smoked paprika and sea salt blend
freshly cracked white pepper
celery seed
Old Bay seasoning
Penzey's jerk seasoning

Mix a little mayonnaise and all the seasoning in with the pasta just after it's drained and still warm. Allow to cool and mix in the remaining ingredients with more mayo. Chill for an hour to allow the flavors to marry.
Old 07-24-2011, 03:05 AM   #8
BigCutieAnya
Amazon Goddess

BigCutieAnya can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokesBigCutieAnya can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokesBigCutieAnya can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokes

Better Than Ranch Dipping Sauce

1 heaping cup Hellmanns Mayo ORIGINAL (Not low fat or olive oil based)
2 packets Sazon Goya original flavoring packets
4 cubes of Knorr brand Chipotle powder (optional, makes it smokier and spicier)
OR
1 1/2 teaspoon Tony Chacheres Cajun Spice
1 teaspoon sugar or honey
1 tablespoon garlic powder OR four cloves fresh grated garlic

Mix up, be amazed. This makes an amazing sandwich spread or dipping sauce. I like to use it to inject chicken leg quarters prior to grilling and smoking on a wood fire.

Last edited by BigCutieAnya; 07-24-2011 at 03:06 AM. Reason: missed an ingredient!
BigCutieAnya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 05:14 PM   #9
D_A_Bunny
www.peaceoneday.org

D_A_Bunny keeps pushing the rep limit!D_A_Bunny keeps pushing the rep limit!D_A_Bunny keeps pushing the rep limit!D_A_Bunny keeps pushing the rep limit!D_A_Bunny keeps pushing the rep limit!D_A_Bunny keeps pushing the rep limit!D_A_Bunny keeps pushing the rep limit!D_A_Bunny keeps pushing the rep limit!D_A_Bunny keeps pushing the rep limit!D_A_Bunny keeps pushing the rep limit!D_A_Bunny keeps pushing the rep limit!

Russian Tea Room Russian Dressing
(makes 3.5 cups)

Ingredients:

1.5 cups MAYONAISSE (prefer Hellmann's)
1/2 cup sour cream
2/3 cup chili sauce (prefer Heinz)
1 TBS. fresh lemon juice
2 TBS. minced dill pickles
1 TBS. minced green pepper (small amt. but don't leave it out)
2 TBS. minced onion
4 tsps. drained bottled horseradish (press the excess liquid thru strainer)
2 tsp. Worchestire sauce
1/4 tsp. Tabasco sauce (original)
2 tsp. sugar
1 pinch fresh black pepper
1/2 tsp. paprika
1 TBS. minced fresh parsley

Directions:

Combine all ingredients in blender or food processor. Do NOT over-blend. Chill until serving.

Note:

I know that this might seem like a lot of little things to make this, but it is easy and worth it. This is so delicious. I use it to spread on sandwiches, dip potato chips into or put on a salad. The longer it stays in the fridge, the more it thickens up. So you might want to make it a day or two ahead. Trust me, if you like russian dressing, you must try this recipe.

Enjoy!
Old 07-31-2011, 11:12 AM   #10
NancyGirl74

NancyGirl74 keeps pushing the rep limit!NancyGirl74 keeps pushing the rep limit!NancyGirl74 keeps pushing the rep limit!NancyGirl74 keeps pushing the rep limit!NancyGirl74 keeps pushing the rep limit!NancyGirl74 keeps pushing the rep limit!NancyGirl74 keeps pushing the rep limit!NancyGirl74 keeps pushing the rep limit!NancyGirl74 keeps pushing the rep limit!NancyGirl74 keeps pushing the rep limit!NancyGirl74 keeps pushing the rep limit!
Default Paula Deen's Broccoli Casserole

Last minute addition! Another Paula Deen recipe. This one has become a family favorite. We have it at every holiday gathering now! Hope you like it!

Broccoli Casserole

Ingredients:
2 10-ounce packages of frozen chopped broccoli, cooked and drained
*1 cup mayonnaise
1 cup grated sharp Cheddar cheese
1 10-ounce can condensed cream of mushroom soup
2 eggs, lightly beaten
2 cups crushed Ritz or cheese crackers
2 tablespoons butter, melted

Directions:
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 13-by-9 inch baking dish with vegetable oil cooking spray.

2. In a large mixing bowl, combine the broccoli, mayonnaise, cheese, soup, and eggs. Mix well with a metal spoon (the mixture is rather stiff and could break the handle of a wooden spoon). Place the mixture in the prepared baking dish. Top with the crushed crackers and pour the melted butter evenly over the crackers. Bake for 35 minutes, or until set and browned.

***Nancy's notes: Instead of cooking the broccoli just have it thawed. It has a little more crunch and freshness that way. Measuring with the mayo, butter, and cheese is not key. Add as much or as little as you like. Italian bread crumbs work just as well as crushed crackers.
NancyGirl74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 04:39 AM   #11
BBW Betty
Made My Saving Throw

BBW Betty has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!BBW Betty has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!BBW Betty has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!BBW Betty has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!BBW Betty has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!BBW Betty has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!BBW Betty has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!BBW Betty has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!BBW Betty has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!BBW Betty has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!BBW Betty has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Time to vote?

"Be the change you want to see in the world." --Mahatma Gandhi
BBW Betty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 10:17 AM   #12
MisticalMisty

MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBW Betty View Post
Time to vote?
yep..just remembered! Sorry
MisticalMisty is offline   Reply With Quote