Dimensions Forums  
Home Register Premium Membership Stories Ye Olde Library Health Issues Market Place Big Fashion

Go Back   Dimensions Forums > Discussion > The Foodee Board

Old 08-09-2011, 01:36 PM   #1
TheMrs

TheMrs does more than just post hot picsTheMrs does more than just post hot picsTheMrs does more than just post hot pics
Default August Iron Foodee Challenge!

First of all thanks for the votes on my mayo cake, sorry for the lateness of my post. Kinda new at this and missed it til I got a pm Thx for the heads up, gals!

For August, I chose: jalapenos!

Dec - Oranges

Jan - Cream Cheese
Feb - Soda pop
Mar - Recipes containing a can of soup
Apr – Shrimp
May – Eggs
Jun – Liquor
Jul - Pasta/couscous etc Salads
Aug – Zucchini
Sep - Quick breads / Muffins
Oct – Cheese
Nov – Cranberries
Dec - Fudge

Jan - Slow Cooker Recipe
Feb – Potatoes
Mar - Garlic and Mushrooms
Apr – Chicken
May – Lemons
Jun - 30 min Hot Weather Recipes
Jul - Preserves - Jams, Chutneys, Relishes etc
Aug – Coffee
Sep - Tofu / Cottage Cheese
October – Pumpkin
November - Sweet Potatoes/Yams
December - Mint

January – Soup
February – Pork
March-Mexican Food
April – Cereal
May- Berries
June-Yogurt
July – Corn
August – Asian
September - Breakfast foods
October – Nuts
November – Onions
December - Meat in Casings

January - Side Salads
February – Spinach
March – Beans
April-hot sandwiches
May-Soy Sauce
June – cookies
July - Sour Cream
August - (Summer Break)
Sept - BBQ Foods.
October - Southern cuisine
November - Peanut butter
December-"Packaged Food"

January – rice
February – chocolate
March - Irish food
April - Butter
May- Flour
June-Father's Day Recipes
July-Mayo/Miracle Whip
August-jalapenos
Old 08-09-2011, 01:45 PM   #2
TheMrs

TheMrs does more than just post hot picsTheMrs does more than just post hot picsTheMrs does more than just post hot pics

I'm unsure if I should post my own fav recipe that includes jalapenos. I'm going to anyway..and if it can't count, that's ok because ya'll gotta try these

-Bacon Wrapped Jalapenos-

8-10 jalapenos, remove cap, deseed carefully, keep cap

8-10 slices of good quality bacon

1 8oz package cream cheese

After deseeding jalapenos, wash hands! Then divide the cream cheese into 8-10 pieces depending on how many jalapenos you're using. Stuff pieces of cream cheese into jalapenos replace cap. Use some cream cheese off your finger to create a seal, kind of Wrap bacon around and over cap securing with a toothpick.
Grill over hot coals until bacon is brown and crisp. About 15 min. Or ovenbake at 400 for about 15-17 min.
Old 08-09-2011, 05:50 PM   #3
MisticalMisty

MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.

I make mine similar...but I normally add some shredded cheese and a protein to the cream cheese!

I'll have to think of a recipe..I looovvee jalapenos!
MisticalMisty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 05:52 PM   #4
SoVerySoft
No fat no flavor

SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMrs View Post
I'm unsure if I should post my own fav recipe that includes jalapenos. I'm going to anyway..and if it can't count, that's ok because ya'll gotta try these
Sure, it can count. And that recipe sounds fab!
"Well," said Pooh, "what I like best --" and then he had to stop and think. Because although Eating Honey was a very good thing to do, there was a moment just before you began to eat it which was better than when you were, but he didn't know what it was called. - A.A. Milne
SoVerySoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 09:15 PM   #5
Fuzzy
Just a dirty old man

Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.
Default Pickled Jalapeno Peppers

1/2 pound fresh jalapenos
1 3/4 cups white vinegar
2-4 cloves garlic, peeled
1 teaspoon kosher salt (don't substitute)
1/4 teaspoon turmeric

Wash peppers; cut off the stems. (use gloves!) Slice peppers into rings and place them in a pint mason jar with the garlic.

Blend vinegar, salt and turmeric in a small saucepan and heat to boiling. Pour over the peppers. Allow to cool, and seal lid with the band, to just tight.
Store at least 2 days in refrigerator. Will keep about two months.
Old 08-12-2011, 10:41 PM   #6
EMH1701

EMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions community
Default Spicy Chicken Chili Verde

I love chili because it is inexpensive to make and leftovers freeze well, and this is a recipe I wrote down after making it because it wound up being so good.

Get a stockpot. Fill about 1/2 of the way with water, depending on the size of the pot and how thick you want your chili.

Add a couple cans of chicken broth, or chicken bouillon cubes if you prefer.
1 pound boneless skinless chicken breast, diced & browned
2 or 3 cans jalape๑o peppers, drained, or use fresh if you have them.
One haba๑ero pepper, diced. You don't need more than one unless you really, really like it hot.
1 pound fresh tomatillos, which can be pureed in a blender if you prefer. I just cleaned them, chopped them up, and added them in.
2 cans drained white beans, such as cannellini
1 onion, chopped up
1/2 cup beer or white wine
Salt & pepper to taste
Hot sauce to taste (I get the green haba๑ero kind, a little goes a long ways)
A little bit of lime juice goes very well with this.

This will be spicy, but is quite good when finished.

Last edited by EMH1701; 08-12-2011 at 10:57 PM.
EMH1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 05:03 PM   #7
PamelaLois
ILL-INI

PamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions community

Easy Pico-de-Gallo

3 Jalapenos, stems, seeds and ribs removed
4 medium to large tomatoes
1 medium onion
large handful cilantro leaves
juice of one lime
seasoned salt to taste
garlic salt to taste

Dice all of the vegetables and cilantro into chip-friendly-sized pieces. Mix together and add the lime juice and salts. Mix well. Serve with warmed chips. For easy guacamole, smash up an avocado and mix in a couple spoonfuls of the pico.
Old 08-25-2011, 06:53 PM   #8
Dr. Feelgood
intellectual nerd

Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.

This recipe calls for hot pepper flakes. I'm not sure that counts as jalapenos, but I wanted to share the recipe anyway.

Spaghetti alla puttanesca

2 Tbsp olive oil (okay, EVOO, if you insist!)
1 small onion, chopped finely
2 cloves garlic, chopped
2 large tomatoes, chopped fine (or 1 can diced tomatoes)
10 black olives, chopped
pinch hot pepper flakes
8 oz. spaghetti or linguini
salt and pepper to taste

Saute the onion and garlic in the olive oil. Add the tomatoes, salt, pepper, hot pepper flakes and olives, and simmer about ten minutes: this is good to do while the spaghetti is cooking. Drain the spaghetti, mix everything together, and serve.
'Bout fo' hundred pound...
-- Dr. Feelgood & the Interns
Dr. Feelgood is offline   Reply With Quote