Go Back   Dimensions Forums > Discussion > Main Dimensions Board
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-03-2011, 02:26 PM   #1
moore2me
Family Picture

moore2me keeps pushing the rep limit!
moore2me keeps pushing the rep limit!moore2me keeps pushing the rep limit!moore2me keeps pushing the rep limit!
Default Kevin Smith Tells About His Plane Nightmares

Newsweek's online magazine had a short article last week from Kevin Smith about his famous (or infamous flight) where he got the boot. In this piece, he makes some interesting comments . . .

http://www.thedailybeast.com/newswee...being-fat.html
My Favorite Mistake: Kevin Smith Aug 28, 2011 10:00 AM EDT
(On the time he got kicked off a flight for being too fat.)

Quote from Kevin - A lot of people say, "You make jokes all the time and call yourself fat." Yes, as a defense mechanism. You call yourself fat before someone else can because itís always more painful when somebody else does.

He also says that photographers were offered $10,000 for a picture of him sitting on a plane and eating a sandwich. (M2M's comment - I assume that the worse he looked the better.)

His final comment spoke highly of what we fat people go thru every day (altho it is strangely worded). I quote . . . " When the whole world calls you fat and you can stand there in the face of it and not open your wrists, my friend, you are tempered in the cosmos. Nothing can stop you at that point." K.S.

He also notes that the whole incident caused him nightmares. But in the end, he made a profit because it inadvertantly landed him a movie deal worth millions and gandered him free publicity.

(M2M - Is this what "It's all good means?)

moore2me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 04:25 PM   #2
mithrandirjn

mithrandirjn has super-sized repmithrandirjn has super-sized repmithrandirjn has super-sized rep

I remember going to his last two Q and A shows here in Jersey: "Too Fat to Fly" a few years ago, then "Too Fat for Forty" on his 40th birthday. He went into great detail about the whole situation, and how he took his sudden desire to avoid airlines and embrace ground travel and turned it into a great business idea for promoting what he's doing.

It's been cool to watch him make peace with his body over time. He's still trying to eat healthier and drop a few pounds, which is great too, but he's adopted a pretty cool "don't dwell on the haters" attitude in the past couple years.
mithrandirjn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 07:17 PM   #3
TexasTrouble

TexasTrouble has super-sized repTexasTrouble has super-sized repTexasTrouble has super-sized rep

Although M2M already referenced it, I really wanted to point out those last words of Smith's:

When the whole world calls you fat and you can stand there in the face of it and not open your wrists, my friend, you are tempered in the cosmos. Nothing can stop you at that point.

"Fat" can be seen as one of the worst labels to be thrown at someone and to go through that many people all spilling their vitriol from so many directions, it really says something that he sees it as situation he was able to use as a positive.
TexasTrouble is offline   Reply With Quote