Dimensions Forums  
Home Register Premium Membership Stories Ye Olde Library Health Issues Market Place Big Fashion

Go Back   Dimensions Forums > Discussion > The Foodee Board

Old 07-12-2011, 01:23 PM   #1
smithnwesson
Drug dealer

smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!
Default Sharpening your knives.

This is kind of a public service announcement.

I'm a woodworker, knife collector, and amateur chef. I cannot tolerate a dull cutting tool, but getting a razor edge with traditional sharpening tools isn't easy.

I got the EdgePro Apex 4 kit about a while back and have sharpened everything in sight. I handed my girl friend my favorite chef's knife and asked her to check it out. Before I could stop her, she touched the edge and cut herself.

It's a little pricey but is a fantastic product by an American company. Check it out here:

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sourc...HLTaBSuOPyEFSg

There are some vid's on their site that show how it works.

(I have no affiliation with Edge Pro in any way.)

- Jim
Old 08-19-2011, 03:32 AM   #2
MrBob

MrBob makes people happy simply by logging inMrBob makes people happy simply by logging inMrBob makes people happy simply by logging inMrBob makes people happy simply by logging inMrBob makes people happy simply by logging inMrBob makes people happy simply by logging inMrBob makes people happy simply by logging inMrBob makes people happy simply by logging in

I always sharpen mine with a steel automatically before use, maintaining the edge. Old habits die hard. Obviously the quality of your knives and the quality of your steel will have a big impact.

But you're right, a sharp knife is very important, it makes your job so much easier.
MrBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 10:28 AM   #3
Brenda

Brenda has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Brenda has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Brenda has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Brenda has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Brenda has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Brenda has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Brenda has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Brenda has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Brenda has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Brenda has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Brenda has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

We have fairly pricey knifes after years of getting by with cheap junk. So now we take them to be sharpened every so often out of fear we will ruin them.

I have heard that sharpening knifes without damaging them is difficult and most sharpeners are junk, any thoughts on that?

Brenda
Brenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 10:56 AM   #4
Tad
mostly harmless

Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Given a half decent piece of steel, I've always found that with a basic wet stone I can easily put on an edge that is plenty sharp. The only challenge is being able to hold a consistent (and appropriate) angle between the blade and the stone.

For those who don't want to mess with a stone, there is nothing wrong with a fancier kit.....just saying you can proably get by with something costing you not a lot.

(took a while to train my wife not to dump the knives into the wash basin.....she wasn't used to knives sharp enough to cut you if you brush the edge. Well, I've mostly trained her, went to rinse my hands off enough to handle the taps a couple of weeks ago, and opened the side of one knuckle beautifully from accidentally running it up the blade of the butcher's knife).
Old 08-19-2011, 11:33 AM   #5
MrBob

MrBob makes people happy simply by logging inMrBob makes people happy simply by logging inMrBob makes people happy simply by logging inMrBob makes people happy simply by logging inMrBob makes people happy simply by logging inMrBob makes people happy simply by logging inMrBob makes people happy simply by logging inMrBob makes people happy simply by logging in

At least with a sharp blade it'll be a neat cut!
MrBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 08:06 AM   #6
smithnwesson
Drug dealer

smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBob View Post
At least with a sharp blade it'll be a neat cut!
Yep, and it heals much more quickly. The idea that folks cut themselves less with really knives is bullshit. Basically, if you touch the edge, then you're cut.

- Jim
Old 09-02-2011, 08:13 AM   #7
Tad
mostly harmless

Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.

The argument that people cut themselve more with dull knives is due to the frustration of using it, they are more apt to use more force, or have resistance before it finally cuts and goes right through, etc, so more likely to have accidental blade to skin contact.

But yah, a properly sharp knife will cut you realy easily, given the chance.
Old 09-03-2011, 08:48 PM   #8
one2one
Sentient little hedonist

one2one has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!one2one has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!one2one has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!one2one has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!one2one has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!one2one has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!one2one has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!one2one has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!one2one has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!one2one has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!one2one has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

I admit I'm not as faithful as I should be about sharpening my knives. I have a little travel size sharping steel that work well enough, I guess. The fancy pants, local grocery store chain near me will sharpen knives for me if I bring them in to the butcher, but I rarely do. I think the brand of knife makes a big difference in how well it takes and edge and holds it. I like Henkels. Does anyone else have a preference or a brand they really love?
Old 09-04-2011, 12:20 PM   #9
smithnwesson
Drug dealer

I like Henkels and Sabatier brands.

The old carbon steel Sabatier knives will take and hold an edge that is unbelievable, but they rust and need more care than stainless steel ones.

I've got dozens of kitchen knives. Here are the ones over the stove that I use regularly:

From left to right:
#6 An old Sabatier carbon steel chef's knife
#8 Carbon steel fillet knife (brand unknown)
#9 Joyce Chen knife.

All the rest are either stainless steel Henkels or Sabatier.

Spend some $$$ on kitchen knives. They will last you the rest of your life and your family will fight over them when you've achieved 'room temperature'.

- Jim
Old 09-04-2011, 12:37 PM   #10
Saoirse

Saoirse keeps pushing the rep limit!Saoirse keeps pushing the rep limit!Saoirse keeps pushing the rep limit!Saoirse keeps pushing the rep limit!Saoirse keeps pushing the rep limit!Saoirse keeps pushing the rep limit!Saoirse keeps pushing the rep limit!Saoirse keeps pushing the rep limit!Saoirse keeps pushing the rep limit!Saoirse keeps pushing the rep limit!Saoirse keeps pushing the rep limit!

I dont deal with knives but I do deal with grooming shears! My boss's scissors are her most expensive tool and she sends them out to a pro. grooming shears sharpener. Ive been sliced open by them a time or two!
Saoirse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 01:48 PM   #11
FatAndProud

FatAndProud has ascended what used to be the highest level.FatAndProud has ascended what used to be the highest level.FatAndProud has ascended what used to be the highest level.FatAndProud has ascended what used to be the highest level.FatAndProud has ascended what used to be the highest level.FatAndProud has ascended what used to be the highest level.FatAndProud has ascended what used to be the highest level.FatAndProud has ascended what used to be the highest level.FatAndProud has ascended what used to be the highest level.FatAndProud has ascended what used to be the highest level.FatAndProud has ascended what used to be the highest level.

The handles without the metal pegs in them...are those durable? I've had plenty a knife fall apart on me. Granted, I've never gotten fancy knives, yet. I'm a student, gimme a break
FatAndProud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 08:44 AM   #12
smithnwesson
Drug dealer

I've never had a problem with the handles separating.

Most of the problems I've seen come from leaving knives with wooden handles laying in water in the sink, or people putting their knives through dishwashers. (Not to accuse you of either of these practices.)

If you just wipe them off after use, hit them with a steel or fine stone, and put them away, they'll stay sharp for many months.

- Jim
Old 09-05-2011, 05:53 PM   #13
one2one
Sentient little hedonist

one2one has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!one2one has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!one2one has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!one2one has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!one2one has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!one2one has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!one2one has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!one2one has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!one2one has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!one2one has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!one2one has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Quote:
Originally Posted by smithnwesson View Post
Spend some $$$ on kitchen knives. They will last you the rest of your life and your family will fight over them when you've achieved 'room temperature'.

- Jim
True story. I have my grandmother's bread knife and dibs on my mom's 10 inch french knife.
Old 09-10-2011, 06:46 PM   #14
bonified
cannabis connoisseur

bonified is a member of the 500 clubbonified is a member of the 500 clubbonified is a member of the 500 clubbonified is a member of the 500 clubbonified is a member of the 500 clubbonified is a member of the 500 club

I love knives.
Old 09-10-2011, 10:01 PM   #15
FAinPA
This Darkness Got to Give

FAinPA can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokesFAinPA can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokes

great thread!
Can't agree more that Dull = dangerous & Sharp = safe

I have a chef's choice diamond hone electric sharpener. Does the trick. I have a traditional stone, too, but it is hard to keep the angle consistent. My knives are old but I like 'em.
FAinPA is offline   Reply With Quote