Dimensions Forums  
Home Register Premium Membership Health Issues Market Place Big Fashion

Go Back   Dimensions Forums > Discussion > FA/FFA forum

Old 09-08-2011, 07:19 PM   #26
Webmaster
Chief Emeritus

Webmaster has ascended what used to be the highest level.Webmaster has ascended what used to be the highest level.Webmaster has ascended what used to be the highest level.Webmaster has ascended what used to be the highest level.Webmaster has ascended what used to be the highest level.Webmaster has ascended what used to be the highest level.Webmaster has ascended what used to be the highest level.Webmaster has ascended what used to be the highest level.Webmaster has ascended what used to be the highest level.Webmaster has ascended what used to be the highest level.Webmaster has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tina View Post
I don't think it's genetic at all; I think it has to do with socialization, in part, anyway.
I don't think there is a definite answer. In my case, I was an FA as far back as I can remember, way before puberty. And there simply weren't any fat people in Switzerland, so it didn't seem genetic nor social. Maybe just one of those mysteries of nature, in which case there'd be some reason.

My explanation has always been that since the weight distribution of the population is on a bell curve, it's only logical that size preference is also on a bell curve.
Webmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 09:52 PM   #27
bigmac

bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!

I found big girls fascinating from a very early age (i.e. about 3rd grade). So I'm inclined to think that there is a genetic basis. Also, two of my three maternal uncles married large women (although my brothers like small women).
bigmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 05:30 AM   #28
Melian
Ultimate Chimera

Melian has ascended what used to be the highest level.Melian has ascended what used to be the highest level.Melian has ascended what used to be the highest level.Melian has ascended what used to be the highest level.Melian has ascended what used to be the highest level.Melian has ascended what used to be the highest level.Melian has ascended what used to be the highest level.Melian has ascended what used to be the highest level.Melian has ascended what used to be the highest level.Melian has ascended what used to be the highest level.Melian has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Webmaster View Post
I don't think there is a definite answer. In my case, I was an FA as far back as I can remember, way before puberty. And there simply weren't any fat people in Switzerland, so it didn't seem genetic nor social. Maybe just one of those mysteries of nature, in which case there'd be some reason.

My explanation has always been that since the weight distribution of the population is on a bell curve, it's only logical that size preference is also on a bell curve.
Preferences, in general, will probably remain a mystery for a while longer, since brain function is still remarkably misunderstood, mostly relating to localization/formation of thought. One thing to consider is that “genetic” can have less direct meanings than simply referring to some gene that causes some behaviour – for complex traits, this is almost never the explanation.

There are literally thousands of ways that an attraction could be based in genetics, from the obvious (some particular pheromone is secreted more as fat percentage increases, and FAs represent the population with an active receptor for it), to the obscure (FAs have evolved some crossed neural connection between the sensory fibres that respond to “crushing” sensations and the ventral tegmental area of the brain, so when weight is applied to them they experience a dopamine surge that non-FAs would not receive). It all depends on how creative you want to get

Here is a novel concept for you, and it touches on what I was saying earlier (and what Tad said, especially that “certain tendencies get set, but how they play out will be influenced by the environment.”). Hormones do not induce mutation, however, they have the ability to change the physical marks on the DNA and associated structural proteins, thus, changing the expression of genes (turning them on or off). It used to be thought that all of these marks were wiped clean and reset in the zygote, but recent work has revealed that some of these changes persist, meaning that changes acquired in the PARENTS’ lifetime (or even earlier) can potentially affect the regulation of the offspring’s genome.

Ok, that was pretty abstract, but what I’m saying is that perhaps, as Tad said, there are tendencies that arise from various genetic combinations, and perhaps these tendencies evolve and specify within a lifetime….so perhaps regulatory markings from one or both parents can even combine to shape the preference of a child, without the environment actually acting on the child, ie. it is genetic, but not related to a gene.

Honestly, I think most human behaviour is rooted in genetics and shaped by environment, as we all have a sort of innate sense of what makes us feel good, which is linked to neural reward pathways. We spend much of our lives trying to activate these pathways and get to the payoff.
Old 09-09-2011, 02:41 PM   #29
LeoGibson
Slangin'

LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.

I don't know about genetics. I'm not really smart enough to understand what that truly encompasses and not just a simplified layman's idea of what "genetics" are as far as why I like something or act a certain way.

I will say that I grew up in a BBW dominated environment. Most all of the women in my life during my formative years were BBW's. From my mother, to my Grandmother on my mom's side and an aunt and a sister as well. They were all on the smaller end of the BBW ideal. My guess would be starting at around a size 14-16 and up from there. (I'm terrible at women's sizes by just looking or memory, so those are guesses)

Now I don't know if that is why I have the attractions I do or not, but it would seem to as now as an adult, that is my number one preference. I like BBW's on the smaller end of the spectrum. That is what fires me off first and quickest. However that being said, I am attracted to most all women. All I require is a bit of intelligence in a partner so that we will always have plenty to talk about and a personality that is not too shitty or hateful. Oh yeah, and a vagina. That is deal breaker for sure, she must have a vagina. Other than that I'm good, I don't require much more. I just love women and you can be a mon petitite or a SSBBW and I will be attracted to you as long as you meet those criteria. I just love women.Period.

Maybe what I'm saying is that I have some canine genes mixed in there somewhere.

Last edited by LeoGibson; 09-09-2011 at 02:43 PM.
LeoGibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 10:28 AM   #30
MrRabbit

MrRabbit can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokesMrRabbit can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokes

I am the only FA in my family. I don't think it is genetic, but I do think it is somehow imprinted during very early childhood.
MrRabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 03:04 PM   #31
krystalltuerme
Car Repair & Smartassery

krystalltuerme does more than just post hot picskrystalltuerme does more than just post hot picskrystalltuerme does more than just post hot pics

Here's why I think it's an early childhood thing:
I am, without a doubt, the only FA in my family. My mother, at 54 years old, is a size 2 and weighs 110 pounds. My dad likes that very much. Both are very fatphobic. At first glance, I didn't grow up in an environment that exposed me to fat or fat people at all.

HOWEVER,
When I was very little, my mom was in a very bad car accident and was in and out of the hospital for six to eight months. During that time, I was taken care of mostly by a babysitter who over time became a family friend. We'll call her Carla. She was a young BBW when I was little, and, over time, has moved most decidedly into SSBBW territory. I was very attached to Carla when I was little, and she has remained a good friend of the family.

I think Carla made me an FA. My younger brothers provide further evidence of this, since Carla wasn't taking care of them at the same age that she took care of me (they weren't around yet). As my brothers have grown up, they have proven themselves to be attracted to petite, blonde women such as my mother, while I have proven to be attracted to fat women with much darker hair (like Carla).

I have always had a strained relationship with my mother, while my little brothers get along with her well. My very unscientific conclusion says that I imprinted on Carla, and grew up to be attracted to her, while my brothers imprinted on my mom and grew up to become attracted to people like her.

A good friend of mine is half Filipino. His dad is a Philippine immigrant, but his mom is tall, skinny, blonde, and very much a "right-brained" person (read: creative and scatterbrained). Guess what? He goes for the creative, scatterbrained, outspoken blondes.

Another friend's mother is African-American, while his dad is white. He looks white. But he goes for the African-American girls because that's what his mom is.

Tl;dr: In many cases, guys are attracted to girls that look like Mom. Freud would have a field day.

"Worry does not empty tomorrow of sorrow - it empties today of strength."
—Corrie Ten Boom
krystalltuerme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 06:54 PM   #32
LordQuas
¢reflow Dollar$

LordQuas is a member of the 500 clubLordQuas is a member of the 500 clubLordQuas is a member of the 500 clubLordQuas is a member of the 500 clubLordQuas is a member of the 500 clubLordQuas is a member of the 500 club

I think it is somewhat influenced by genetics but not as much as something like temperament
Old 09-24-2011, 09:41 AM   #33
StickMan
Two-Dimentional Character

StickMan can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokesStickMan can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokesStickMan can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokes

I figure it's got as much to do with genetics as anything else to do with sexuality.

I don't know how many FAs there are in my extended family; most of them are pretty in shape, although at least one of my uncles pretty much has to be. He's about my size (which is to say, very skinny) and married to this gorgeous 350-lb scandinavian woman.
StickMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 11:27 AM   #34
jakub
Visitor

jakub can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokesjakub can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokes

I see no other explanation in my case - 99% genetics from hunger times.
jakub is offline   Reply With Quote