Dimensions Forums  
Home Register Premium Membership Health Issues Market Place Big Fashion

Go Back   Dimensions Forums > Discussion > The Foodee Board

Old 08-28-2011, 12:59 PM   #1
tinkerbell

tinkerbell has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!tinkerbell has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!tinkerbell has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!tinkerbell has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!tinkerbell has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!tinkerbell has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!tinkerbell has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!tinkerbell has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!tinkerbell has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!tinkerbell has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!tinkerbell has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!
Default I just discovered hummus

I had hummus for the first time about a week ago, and I LOVE it.

I bought a small container yesterday, and its almost gone. Why did it take me so long to try it?!?
Old 08-28-2011, 02:18 PM   #2
Dr. Feelgood
intellectual nerd

Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.

"Then felt I like some watcher of the skies
When a new planet swims into his ken,
Or like stout Cortez, when with eagle eyes
He stared at the Pacific -- and all his men
Look'd at each other with a wild surmise --
Silent, upon a peak in Darien."

Hummus is good.
'Bout fo' hundred pound...
-- Dr. Feelgood & the Interns
Dr. Feelgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 02:41 PM   #3
Cynthia

Cynthia makes people happy simply by logging inCynthia makes people happy simply by logging inCynthia makes people happy simply by logging inCynthia makes people happy simply by logging inCynthia makes people happy simply by logging inCynthia makes people happy simply by logging inCynthia makes people happy simply by logging inCynthia makes people happy simply by logging in

Sabra makes heavenly hummus -- very creamy, with lots of flavors. (I especially recommend pine nuts or lemon.) Try scooping it up with mushrooms, bell pepper slices, or dried zucchini.
Cynthia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 02:42 PM   #4
Webmaster
Chief Emeritus

Webmaster has ascended what used to be the highest level.Webmaster has ascended what used to be the highest level.Webmaster has ascended what used to be the highest level.Webmaster has ascended what used to be the highest level.Webmaster has ascended what used to be the highest level.Webmaster has ascended what used to be the highest level.Webmaster has ascended what used to be the highest level.Webmaster has ascended what used to be the highest level.Webmaster has ascended what used to be the highest level.Webmaster has ascended what used to be the highest level.Webmaster has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinkerbell View Post

I bought a small container yesterday, and its almost gone. Why did it take me so long to try it?!?
Good question. I love hummus, too. It's really just garbanzo beans (chick peas) mashed up. CostCo has usually great deals on it, with different spices.
Webmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 03:56 PM   #5
crayola box

crayola box knows EXACTLY what's going oncrayola box knows EXACTLY what's going oncrayola box knows EXACTLY what's going oncrayola box knows EXACTLY what's going oncrayola box knows EXACTLY what's going oncrayola box knows EXACTLY what's going oncrayola box knows EXACTLY what's going on

I love hummus, and its super easy to make, welcome to the club!
crayola box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 06:37 PM   #6
Fuzzy
Just a dirty old man

Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.

I've never liked garbanzo beans in, well, anything. it was always that odd ingredient.. like hominy. You know they're there, but other people will use them.

Mash them up with some tahini, and garlic, and lemon juice.. oh my
Old 09-05-2011, 04:58 PM   #7
MattB

MattB keeps pushing the rep limit!MattB keeps pushing the rep limit!MattB keeps pushing the rep limit!MattB keeps pushing the rep limit!MattB keeps pushing the rep limit!MattB keeps pushing the rep limit!MattB keeps pushing the rep limit!MattB keeps pushing the rep limit!MattB keeps pushing the rep limit!MattB keeps pushing the rep limit!MattB keeps pushing the rep limit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by crayola box View Post
I love hummus, and its super easy to make, welcome to the club!
Agreed! I love making it myself, and it's so great as a snack...
MattB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 10:34 AM   #8
moore2me
Lions don't need to spank

moore2me keeps pushing the rep limit!moore2me keeps pushing the rep limit!moore2me keeps pushing the rep limit!moore2me keeps pushing the rep limit!moore2me keeps pushing the rep limit!moore2me keeps pushing the rep limit!moore2me keeps pushing the rep limit!moore2me keeps pushing the rep limit!moore2me keeps pushing the rep limit!moore2me keeps pushing the rep limit!moore2me keeps pushing the rep limit!
Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinkerbell View Post

Me too Tink. I just discovered hummus this summer. (Walmart sells it in the deli section where the potato salad and baked beans are.) At my store there are three different brands available and I have tried all three. The best is by a company called The Tribe.

http://www.tribehummus.com/products/tribe-origins
Of their line, hands down, the best flavor is, Roasted Sweet Red Pepper and Garlic. However, you can buy plain hummus and add your own flavorings.

Or as other posters have mentioned, you can easily make your own with a blender, a can of garbanzo beans also called chick peas, oil, salt, and your choice of flavorings. (Recipes on internet)

P.S. One little warning - those of us who have have WLS surgery (the full magilla kind) involving intestinal resectioning - hummus is concentrated bean paste. It can cause bit of gas if appropriate gas control pills are not taken with it. I use Beano and GasX (at least).
moore2me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 04:20 PM   #9
CastingPearls
Go Big Or Go Home

CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.

I had hummus for the first time at a wedding last summer. It was flavored with roasted garlic and served in martini glasses with a wedge of toasted pita. It was so delicious I wanted to go out and buy some, then promptly forgot. From time to time, I'd mention it to Spouse and he'd make a face that it was disgusting and I just never remembered to get it when I was out.

So now, new life, new address and new supermarket and FINALLY I remember hummus and grab the roasted garlic flavor. It took me so long to find my new love but it was totally worth the wait.

Free me, free yourself
A life of sacrifice controlled me
But those promises I made
No longer hold me
Mercurial more wayward by the hour
The shackles fall away I'm in your power

People throw rocks at things that shine.
CastingPearls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 08:35 AM   #10
joemurphy
On Timeout

joemurphy can now change their title
Default I just discovered hummus

Try using dry beans instead of the canned stuff if you have the time and incentive. The salt content can be quite high, if that is a problem.

1 clove garlic
2 cups cooked garbanzo beans
4 tablespoons lemon juice
2 tablespoons tahini
1 clove garlic, chopped
2 tablespoons olive oil
salt & black pepper to taste

In a blender, chop the garlic. Pour beans, lemon juice, tahini, chopped garlic and salt.. Blend until creamy and well mixed.
joemurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 10:00 PM   #11
moore2me
Lions don't need to spank

moore2me keeps pushing the rep limit!moore2me keeps pushing the rep limit!moore2me keeps pushing the rep limit!moore2me keeps pushing the rep limit!moore2me keeps pushing the rep limit!moore2me keeps pushing the rep limit!moore2me keeps pushing the rep limit!moore2me keeps pushing the rep limit!moore2me keeps pushing the rep limit!moore2me keeps pushing the rep limit!moore2me keeps pushing the rep limit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by joemurphy View Post
Try using dry beans instead of the canned stuff if you have the time and incentive. The salt content can be quite high, if that is a problem.

1 clove garlic
2 cups cooked garbanzo beans
4 tablespoons lemon juice
2 tablespoons tahini
1 clove garlic, chopped
2 tablespoons olive oil
salt & black pepper to taste

In a blender, chop the garlic. Pour beans, lemon juice, tahini, chopped garlic and salt.. Blend until creamy and well mixed.
Joemurphy - You are the second person to mention using tahini in hummus.
I give up - what is tahini and why do I want it in my hummus?

And on using dried beans, how about using something like split english peas? (They cook in only 15 minutes.)
moore2me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 10:56 PM   #12
crayola box

crayola box knows EXACTLY what's going oncrayola box knows EXACTLY what's going oncrayola box knows EXACTLY what's going oncrayola box knows EXACTLY what's going oncrayola box knows EXACTLY what's going oncrayola box knows EXACTLY what's going oncrayola box knows EXACTLY what's going on

Moore- Tahini is sesame paste and is traditional in Middle Eastern hummus as opposed to the olive oil of Mediterranean versions. It adds a nice depth of flavor and a bit of smooth richness.

I think by dried beans Joe meant dried and soaked garbanzos. Personally, unless you are watching your sodium I find no reason to use dried fresh beans in hummus- once blended chickpeas all taste the same. I've also made hummus with cannelloni beans and edamame but don't think it would work with split peas, though I love them in other things.

One tip I got from I forget where (it may have been a Dimmer)-if you like your hummus less fluffy and more dense and creamy, like the commercially available stuff, take the skins off your chickpeas.
crayola box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 07:07 AM   #13
joemurphy
On Timeout

joemurphy can now change their title

Quote:
Originally Posted by moore2me View Post
Joemurphy -
I give up - what is tahini and why do I want it in my hummus?
The tahini can be replaced with sesame seed oil but it will lead to a darker overall appearance. Enjoy!
joemurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 09:47 AM   #14
StickMan
Two-Dimentional Character

StickMan can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokesStickMan can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokesStickMan can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokes

Anyone here go to Trader Joe's? They make two products that I swear must be laced with cocain or something, because I think I'm addicted to them: Horseradish hummus, and these savory rice crackers. The two of them together are quite possibly the best snackfood I've ever had. If you live near a TJ's, I highly recommend going out and buying as much of them as you can carry.
StickMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 07:37 PM   #15
tinkerbell

tinkerbell has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!tinkerbell has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!tinkerbell has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!tinkerbell has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!tinkerbell has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!tinkerbell has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!tinkerbell has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!tinkerbell has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!tinkerbell has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!tinkerbell has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!tinkerbell has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

So I haven't branched out in my hummus eating. I have stuck to the "traditional/original" or whatever its called.

I'll have to attempt to make it myself some time!
Old 09-24-2011, 08:53 PM   #16
thatgirl08
KNOW IT ALL

thatgirl08 keeps pushing the rep limit!thatgirl08 keeps pushing the rep limit!thatgirl08 keeps pushing the rep limit!thatgirl08 keeps pushing the rep limit!thatgirl08 keeps pushing the rep limit!thatgirl08 keeps pushing the rep limit!thatgirl08 keeps pushing the rep limit!thatgirl08 keeps pushing the rep limit!thatgirl08 keeps pushing the rep limit!thatgirl08 keeps pushing the rep limit!thatgirl08 keeps pushing the rep limit!

Hummus is the bestttt! Sabra roasted pine nut hummus is my absolute favorite.
thatgirl08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 07:31 AM   #17
Carl1h
figure O

Carl1h makes people happy simply by logging inCarl1h makes people happy simply by logging inCarl1h makes people happy simply by logging inCarl1h makes people happy simply by logging inCarl1h makes people happy simply by logging inCarl1h makes people happy simply by logging inCarl1h makes people happy simply by logging inCarl1h makes people happy simply by logging in

I love hummus, my first thought on trying hummus was that it would make a great pizza sauce replacement. Sadly it did not, but I still love it, especially with some baba ghanoush.
Carl1h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 05:32 PM   #18
thatgirl08
KNOW IT ALL

thatgirl08 keeps pushing the rep limit!thatgirl08 keeps pushing the rep limit!thatgirl08 keeps pushing the rep limit!thatgirl08 keeps pushing the rep limit!thatgirl08 keeps pushing the rep limit!thatgirl08 keeps pushing the rep limit!thatgirl08 keeps pushing the rep limit!thatgirl08 keeps pushing the rep limit!thatgirl08 keeps pushing the rep limit!thatgirl08 keeps pushing the rep limit!thatgirl08 keeps pushing the rep limit!

There's another hummus thread floating around the forum. I remember posting on it.
thatgirl08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 08:27 PM   #19
DeniseW
Fat don't crack!!

DeniseW is a pillar of the Dimensions communityDeniseW is a pillar of the Dimensions communityDeniseW is a pillar of the Dimensions communityDeniseW is a pillar of the Dimensions communityDeniseW is a pillar of the Dimensions communityDeniseW is a pillar of the Dimensions communityDeniseW is a pillar of the Dimensions communityDeniseW is a pillar of the Dimensions communityDeniseW is a pillar of the Dimensions communityDeniseW is a pillar of the Dimensions communityDeniseW is a pillar of the Dimensions community

I use hummus as a spread instead of mayo.....so good
Old 09-29-2011, 03:09 PM   #20
Ruby Ripples
Dis Member

Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Here is the other thread

http://www.dimensionsmagazine.com/fo...ghlight=hummus

I love hummus. My favourite is to have it on a baked sweet potato, with finely chopped sun dried tomatoes and some olives on top, yum!
Ruby Ripples is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 05:45 PM   #21
LovelyLiz

LovelyLiz keeps pushing the rep limit!LovelyLiz keeps pushing the rep limit!LovelyLiz keeps pushing the rep limit!LovelyLiz keeps pushing the rep limit!LovelyLiz keeps pushing the rep limit!LovelyLiz keeps pushing the rep limit!LovelyLiz keeps pushing the rep limit!LovelyLiz keeps pushing the rep limit!LovelyLiz keeps pushing the rep limit!LovelyLiz keeps pushing the rep limit!LovelyLiz keeps pushing the rep limit!

Here's a pic CandyCoatedClown posted a while back of hummus made of edamame! Looks so delicious...I've been wanting to make it for a while now.
LovelyLiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 11:51 AM   #22
AmazingAmy

AmazingAmy has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!AmazingAmy has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!AmazingAmy has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!AmazingAmy has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!AmazingAmy has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!AmazingAmy has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!AmazingAmy has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!AmazingAmy has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!AmazingAmy has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!AmazingAmy has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!AmazingAmy has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Hummus with caramelised onion is incredible. More calories, but oh so sweet!
AmazingAmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 10:13 AM   #23
Surlysomething

Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Spicy Hummus...good lord.
Surlysomething is offline   Reply With Quote