Dimensions Forums  
Home Register Premium Membership Health Issues Market Place Big Fashion

Go Back   Dimensions Forums > Discussion > The Foodee Board

Old 09-07-2011, 04:27 PM   #1
EMH1701

EMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions community
Default September Iron Foodie Challenge

Hi,

Since fall is on the way, and school has started, I decided to do something related. The best part is, this ingredient is in season.

The ingredient for September is Apples.

Dec - Oranges

Jan - Cream Cheese
Feb - Soda pop
Mar - Recipes containing a can of soup
Apr Shrimp
May Eggs
Jun Liquor
Jul - Pasta/couscous etc Salads
Aug Zucchini
Sep - Quick breads / Muffins
Oct Cheese
Nov Cranberries
Dec - Fudge

Jan - Slow Cooker Recipe
Feb Potatoes
Mar - Garlic and Mushrooms
Apr Chicken
May Lemons
Jun - 30 min Hot Weather Recipes
Jul - Preserves - Jams, Chutneys, Relishes etc
Aug Coffee
Sep - Tofu / Cottage Cheese
October Pumpkin
November - Sweet Potatoes/Yams
December - Mint

January Soup
February Pork
March-Mexican Food
April Cereal
May- Berries
June-Yogurt
July Corn
August Asian
September - Breakfast foods
October Nuts
November Onions
December - Meat in Casings

January - Side Salads
February Spinach
March Beans
April-hot sandwiches
May-Soy Sauce
June cookies
July - Sour Cream
August - (Summer Break)
Sept - BBQ Foods.
October - Southern cuisine
November - Peanut butter
December-"Packaged Food"

January rice
February chocolate
March - Irish food
April - Butter
May- Flour
June-Father's Day Recipes
July-Mayo/Miracle Whip
August-jalapenos
EMH1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 05:54 PM   #2
crayola box

crayola box knows EXACTLY what's going oncrayola box knows EXACTLY what's going oncrayola box knows EXACTLY what's going oncrayola box knows EXACTLY what's going oncrayola box knows EXACTLY what's going oncrayola box knows EXACTLY what's going oncrayola box knows EXACTLY what's going on

My new favorite side dish happens to have apples!

Sweet and Sour Turnip Slaw

Salad:
2 large turnips
1 granny smith apple
3 medium carrots
5 smallish radishes
2 green onions thinly sliced
handful of toasted sliced almonds
1/4 cup dried cranberries

Dressing (approximate)
1 small lemon
2-3 tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp agave (you can sub sweetener of choice)
a couple of splashes of vinegar (i used orange champagne vinegar but apple cider should work)
salt and pepper

Peel and shred turnips, carrots and radishes. Peel, core and shred apple, then squeeze lemon juice over apples to keep from browning. In small bowl whisk the rest of the dressing ingredients, taste, and adjust to your preference. Mix dressing with the apples, turnips, carrots, and radishes. Toss to coat, cover, and refrigerate to let flavors mingle. When ready to serve mix in almonds, cranberries, and onions.
crayola box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 11:12 PM   #3
shinyapple
crunchy in milk

shinyapple never has a post go unnoticedshinyapple never has a post go unnoticedshinyapple never has a post go unnoticedshinyapple never has a post go unnoticedshinyapple never has a post go unnoticedshinyapple never has a post go unnoticedshinyapple never has a post go unnoticedshinyapple never has a post go unnoticed

This is an old recipe of my grandmother's. She's made it so many times she doesn't use the printed recipe anymore, thus some things are not in exact measurements. I've learned to wing it, but it's hard to translate when it just looks right as I make it!

Danish Pastry Apple Bars

Mix as if for pie crust:

2 1/2 cups flour
1 tsp. salt
1 cup lard (I use butter, my grandmother uses shortening now)
1 egg yolk plus enough milk to make 2/3 cup

Roll half the dough out to fit on a jelly roll pan.
Sprinkle the dough with two handfuls of crushed corn flakes.
Spread eight to ten sliced Granny Smith apples** over the corn flakes.
Sprinkle the apples with approximately one cup sugar and cinnamon to taste.
Roll out the other half of the dough and lay it over the fruit.
Tuck the top crust under the bottom crust and pinch/press it to seal.
Beat three or four egg whites until stiff, then brush over the crust.

Bake at 400 degrees for one hour. While still warm, drizzle glaze over the top.

Glaze:
1 Tbl. water
1 cup powdered sugar
vanilla or almond flavoring to taste

**if apples are not in your fridge or didn't look tasty at the market, you can also make these with two cans of drained, unsweetened apples. I personally think this just makes the bars mushy and less appealing in texture.
shinyapple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 06:07 PM   #4
TheMrs

TheMrs does more than just post hot picsTheMrs does more than just post hot picsTheMrs does more than just post hot pics

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinyapple View Post
This is an old recipe of my grandmother's. She's made it so many times she doesn't use the printed recipe anymore, thus some things are not in exact measurements. I've learned to wing it, but it's hard to translate when it just looks right as I make it!

Danish Pastry Apple Bars

Mix as if for pie crust:

2 1/2 cups flour
1 tsp. salt
1 cup lard (I use butter, my grandmother uses shortening now)
1 egg yolk plus enough milk to make 2/3 cup

Roll half the dough out to fit on a jelly roll pan.
Sprinkle the dough with two handfuls of crushed corn flakes.
Spread eight to ten sliced Granny Smith apples** over the corn flakes.
Sprinkle the apples with approximately one cup sugar and cinnamon to taste.
Roll out the other half of the dough and lay it over the fruit.
Tuck the top crust under the bottom crust and pinch/press it to seal.
Beat three or four egg whites until stiff, then brush over the crust.

Bake at 400 degrees for one hour. While still warm, drizzle glaze over the top.

Glaze:
1 Tbl. water
1 cup powdered sugar
vanilla or almond flavoring to taste

**if apples are not in your fridge or didn't look tasty at the market, you can also make these with two cans of drained, unsweetened apples. I personally think this just makes the bars mushy and less appealing in texture.
Looks amazing! Can't wait to try it
Old 09-09-2011, 06:07 PM   #5
TheMrs

TheMrs does more than just post hot picsTheMrs does more than just post hot picsTheMrs does more than just post hot pics

Quote:
Originally Posted by crayola box View Post
My new favorite side dish happens to have apples!

Sweet and Sour Turnip Slaw

Salad:
2 large turnips
1 granny smith apple
3 medium carrots
5 smallish radishes
2 green onions thinly sliced
handful of toasted sliced almonds
1/4 cup dried cranberries

Dressing (approximate)
1 small lemon
2-3 tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp agave (you can sub sweetener of choice)
a couple of splashes of vinegar (i used orange champagne vinegar but apple cider should work)
salt and pepper

Peel and shred turnips, carrots and radishes. Peel, core and shred apple, then squeeze lemon juice over apples to keep from browning. In small bowl whisk the rest of the dressing ingredients, taste, and adjust to your preference. Mix dressing with the apples, turnips, carrots, and radishes. Toss to coat, cover, and refrigerate to let flavors mingle. When ready to serve mix in almonds, cranberries, and onions.
Mmmm wish I would've seen this before last weekends cook-out!
Old 09-09-2011, 06:11 PM   #6
TheMrs

APPLE STUFFED PORK CHOPS

6 pork chops, 2 inches thick
1 tsp. salt
1/8 tsp. pepper
3 Tblsp. butter
5 Tblsp. chopped onion
1 1/2 cups dry bread crumbs
1 large green apple
5 Tblsp. seedless raisins
1/2 tsp. nutmeg
1/4 tsp. cinnamon
2-3 Tblsp. water
Split the chops through the middle from the outer edge toward the bone, leaving meat attached to the bone. Open like a book and pound both sides thin with a mallet. Season the chops with the pepper and 1/2 of the salt. Sautee the onion and bread crumbs in butter in a heavy skillet. Add the apple slices, raisins, remaining salt, nutmeg, cinnamon, and water. Mix together well and spread the dressing in even portions on the chops. Fold over and fasten with toothpicks. Heat oven to 350 degrees and bake for 1 1/2 hours or until tender. Turn once during baking time and drain off excess fat. Serves 6.
Old 09-10-2011, 12:33 AM   #7
idontspeakespn
Rabble-rousing since 1982

idontspeakespn does more than just post hot picsidontspeakespn does more than just post hot picsidontspeakespn does more than just post hot picsidontspeakespn does more than just post hot pics

Ahh, my favorite month, September Apples huh? Well it just so happens I made a new recipe last week with apples. The measurements are by US standards for those in UK/Europe.

The Vermont (it's a sandwich) Makes probably a dozen sandwiches.

Ingredients:

Fabulous roast pork, pulled (recipe to follow)

Spiced apples (recipe to follow)

Caramelised onions (recipe to follow)

Two small or one large piece of mildly sharp Vermont cheddar (yellow is best, but white is good too)

Soft multi-grain bread, or any bread that suits you.

Lightly toast 2 slices of bread. Place cheddar on one slice. Pile on roast pork. Add caramelised onions. Top with a little bit of the spiced apples. Place the other slice on top. Eat on a frosty fall evening, while wearing a flannel hoodie, and watching the leaves change color. Goes amazing with a simple coleslaw. Try the one another poster has generously added to this board

Fabulous Roast Pork:
3 tablespoons paprika
1 tablespoon garlic powder
1 tablespoon brown sugar
1 tablespoon dry mustard
3 tablespoons coarse salt
1 (5 to 7 pound) pork roast, preferably shoulder or Boston butt

Mix the paprika, garlic power, brown sugar, dry mustard, and salt together in a small bowl. Rub the spice blend all over the pork and marinate for as long as you have time for, as little as 1 hour or up to overnight, covered, in the refrigerator.

Preheat the oven to 300 degrees F.

Put the pork in a roasting pan and bake for about 6 hours. Basically, roast the pork until it's falling apart and an instant-read thermometer inserted into the thickest part registers 170 degrees F.

** Note, if you don't have the time or patience to wait 6 hours, turn the oven up to 350 and cook for 4 hours. Just be sure to turn and baste regularly so as to not burn the pork.

Spiced Apples:
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
3 Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored, and sliced in 1/2-inch-thick wedges
2 fresh thyme sprigs, leaves chopped.
3/4 cup frozen apple juice concentrate, thawed (or regular apple juice will do)
2 tablespoons brown sugar
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
Pinch dry mustard
salt and freshly ground black pep
juice of 1/2 lemon

Melt the butter in a clean skillet over medium-low heat. Add the apples and thyme and coat in the butter; cook and stir for 8 minutes to give them some color. Add in the apple juice, stirring to scrape up the brown bits. Stir in the brown sugar, cinnamon, cloves, and dry mustard; season with salt and pepper. Squeeze in the juice from the lemon to wake up the flavor and simmer for 5 minutes or until the apples break down and soften slightly.

Caramelised onions:
2 large onions, (red preferably, but white will do in a pinch) sliced thin
2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
a generous pinch of salt
2-3 tablespoons Olive oil.

Add olive oil to pan over medium heat. Be sure to have oil heated to the medium heat, not too hot, not cold. Place onions equally around pan. Give onions a stir after a few minutes, making sure they all get cooked and translucent. Add salt. Add vinegar, stir. Lower heat slightly and let onions work their magic, caramelising with the vinegar stirring only to avoid burning. Cook until your patience runs out, or 30 minutes.

Last edited by idontspeakespn; 09-10-2011 at 12:40 AM.
idontspeakespn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 03:20 PM   #8
BBW Betty
Made My Saving Throw

BBW Betty has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!BBW Betty has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!BBW Betty has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!BBW Betty has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!BBW Betty has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!BBW Betty has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!BBW Betty has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!BBW Betty has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!BBW Betty has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!BBW Betty has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!BBW Betty has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Easy Fruit Salsa
(a friend brought some of this to work today as part of her B-day treat. It was so nummy! The measurements are approximate.)

2-3 apples (she used Braeburns)
3 kiwis
1/2 to 1 pint strawberries

chop all fruits up fine and mix together. It makes it's own juice, but not too much, so it's not runny.

Serve with cinnamon pita chips (or something similar).

"Be the change you want to see in the world." --Mahatma Gandhi
BBW Betty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 10:47 PM   #9
BriannaBombshell
hi

BriannaBombshell makes people happy simply by logging inBriannaBombshell makes people happy simply by logging inBriannaBombshell makes people happy simply by logging inBriannaBombshell makes people happy simply by logging inBriannaBombshell makes people happy simply by logging inBriannaBombshell makes people happy simply by logging inBriannaBombshell makes people happy simply by logging inBriannaBombshell makes people happy simply by logging in
Default Fruit Yumm Yumm

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBW Betty View Post
Easy Fruit Salsa
(a friend brought some of this to work today as part of her B-day treat. It was so nummy! The measurements are approximate.)

2-3 apples (she used Braeburns)
3 kiwis
1/2 to 1 pint strawberries

chop all fruits up fine and mix together. It makes it's own juice, but not too much, so it's not runny.

Serve with cinnamon pita chips (or something similar).
This sounds AMAZING! I am trying it tomorrow
Old 09-21-2011, 06:37 PM   #10
NancyGirl74

NancyGirl74 keeps pushing the rep limit!NancyGirl74 keeps pushing the rep limit!NancyGirl74 keeps pushing the rep limit!NancyGirl74 keeps pushing the rep limit!NancyGirl74 keeps pushing the rep limit!NancyGirl74 keeps pushing the rep limit!NancyGirl74 keeps pushing the rep limit!NancyGirl74 keeps pushing the rep limit!NancyGirl74 keeps pushing the rep limit!NancyGirl74 keeps pushing the rep limit!NancyGirl74 keeps pushing the rep limit!

I make this yummy cake every Fall. Great for holidays.

Moist Caramel Apple Cake

1 package (2-layer size) yellow cake mix
1 package (4 serving size) Jell-O Vanilla or French Vanilla Flavor Instant Pudding & Pie Filling
1 cup water
4 eggs
1/2 cup vegetable oil
3 medium Granny Smith apples, peeled, coarsely chopped
1 jar of caramel (the kind you pour over ice cream)
3 tablespoons of milk

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour 12 cup fluted tube pan or 10 inch tube pan. Beat cake mix, dry pudding, water, eggs and oil in large bowl with electric mixer on low speed until blended. Beat on high speed 2 minutes. Gently stir in apples. Pour into prepared pan.

Bake 50 minutes to 1 hour or until toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool 20 minutes; remove from pan. Cool completely on wire rack.

Drizzle caramel over cake. Top with whipped cream if desired.

Last edited by NancyGirl74; 09-21-2011 at 06:57 PM.
NancyGirl74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 01:57 PM   #11
ValentineBBW
seeking Vegas

ValentineBBW has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!ValentineBBW has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!ValentineBBW has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!ValentineBBW has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!ValentineBBW has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!ValentineBBW has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!ValentineBBW has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!ValentineBBW has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!ValentineBBW has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!ValentineBBW has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!ValentineBBW has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NancyGirl74 View Post
I make this yummy cake every Fall. Great for holidays.

Moist Caramel Apple Cake

1 package (2-layer size) yellow cake mix
1 package (4 serving size) Jell-O Vanilla or French Vanilla Flavor Instant Pudding & Pie Filling
1 cup water
4 eggs
1/2 cup vegetable oil
3 medium Granny Smith apples, peeled, coarsely chopped
1 jar of caramel (the kind you pour over ice cream)
3 tablespoons of milk

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour 12 cup fluted tube pan or 10 inch tube pan. Beat cake mix, dry pudding, water, eggs and oil in large bowl with electric mixer on low speed until blended. Beat on high speed 2 minutes. Gently stir in apples. Pour into prepared pan.

Bake 50 minutes to 1 hour or until toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool 20 minutes; remove from pan. Cool completely on wire rack.

Drizzle caramel over cake. Top with whipped cream if desired.
Nancy, where do the 3 Tablespoons of milk go?
Old 09-22-2011, 06:50 PM   #12
NancyGirl74

NancyGirl74 keeps pushing the rep limit!NancyGirl74 keeps pushing the rep limit!NancyGirl74 keeps pushing the rep limit!NancyGirl74 keeps pushing the rep limit!NancyGirl74 keeps pushing the rep limit!NancyGirl74 keeps pushing the rep limit!NancyGirl74 keeps pushing the rep limit!NancyGirl74 keeps pushing the rep limit!NancyGirl74 keeps pushing the rep limit!NancyGirl74 keeps pushing the rep limit!NancyGirl74 keeps pushing the rep limit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValentineBBW View Post
Nancy, where do the 3 Tablespoons of milk go?

Oops! There was a second part to the recipe that I didn't add because I don't do it. Adding it now.

Caramel Drizzle
20 caramels, unwrapped
3 tablespoons of milk

Directions:
Microwave caramels and milk in microwaveable bowl on HIGH 1 1/2 minutes, stirring very 30 seconds until blended. Cool 10 minutes until slightly thickened. Drizzle over cake *see above post*

**I don't do this part. Instead I use the caramel topping from a jar. Less hassle.
Old 09-23-2011, 10:18 AM   #13
ValentineBBW
seeking Vegas

ValentineBBW has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!ValentineBBW has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!ValentineBBW has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!ValentineBBW has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!ValentineBBW has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!ValentineBBW has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!ValentineBBW has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!ValentineBBW has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!ValentineBBW has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!ValentineBBW has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!ValentineBBW has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NancyGirl74 View Post
Oops! There was a second part to the recipe that I didn't add because I don't do it. Adding it now.

Caramel Drizzle
20 caramels, unwrapped
3 tablespoons of milk

Directions:
Microwave caramels and milk in microwaveable bowl on HIGH 1 1/2 minutes, stirring very 30 seconds until blended. Cool 10 minutes until slightly thickened. Drizzle over cake *see above post*

**I don't do this part. Instead I use the caramel topping from a jar. Less hassle.
Good call Nancy. Thanks
Old 09-23-2011, 04:32 PM   #14
NancyGirl74

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValentineBBW View Post
Good call Nancy. Thanks
Most welcome! Thanks for catching my mistake. I hope you enjoy the recipe. It is a favorite of mine!
Old 10-08-2011, 05:43 PM   #15
Tracyarts

Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!

Upside-down apple gingerbread. I like to make this at least a couple times in the Fall because it's just perfect for the season.

http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/upsi...10000001932437

Tracy