Dimensions Forums  
Home Register Premium Membership Stories Ye Olde Library Health Issues Market Place Big Fashion
Old 10-16-2011, 12:08 AM   #1
Fatgirlfan

Fatgirlfan does more than just post hot picsFatgirlfan does more than just post hot picsFatgirlfan does more than just post hot pics
Default matza ball soup

I am not Jewish, but I love matza ball soup. Does anyone have their own recipe or do you just make a package of the pre-made?
I think it is damn good!
Old 10-16-2011, 12:21 AM   #2
Shosh
Susannah

Shosh has ascended what used to be the highest level.Shosh has ascended what used to be the highest level.Shosh has ascended what used to be the highest level.Shosh has ascended what used to be the highest level.Shosh has ascended what used to be the highest level.Shosh has ascended what used to be the highest level.Shosh has ascended what used to be the highest level.Shosh has ascended what used to be the highest level.Shosh has ascended what used to be the highest level.Shosh has ascended what used to be the highest level.Shosh has ascended what used to be the highest level.

My sister makes the most amazing matzah ball soup.
Shosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 02:51 PM   #3
Tracyarts

Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!

I buy the packaged matzo ball and soup mix kit because it's easier (Streit's brand). I just add my own homemade stock, chicken meat, and veggies to the broth seasoning packet to give it a little bit extra flavor. It turns out great every single time. My mother in law can make it from scratch. Well, she buys boxes of matzo meal instead of grinding up her own cracker crumbs. But, everything else is her own recipe. I could probably do it that way too, but like the box mix just fine.

I'm a chicken soup fiend, and matzo ball soup is in my chicken soup rotation along with noodles, rice, barley, and dumplings.

Tracy
Old 10-16-2011, 06:46 PM   #4
jcas50
Liberal Scum

jcas50 does more than just post hot picsjcas50 does more than just post hot picsjcas50 does more than just post hot picsjcas50 does more than just post hot pics

My wife makes matzoh balls from scratch, and adds club soda to the batter. She says it makes them fluffier. They taste wonderful.
Old 10-16-2011, 10:44 PM   #5
Fatgirlfan

Fatgirlfan does more than just post hot picsFatgirlfan does more than just post hot picsFatgirlfan does more than just post hot pics

I use Manashevitz mix, yes it is sure is easier to use a mix. I always use extra large eggs for the maztzo meal so that is has more taste in the soup. I do think that the package soup mix bag makes a good broth. Manashevitz also has canned chicken broth that is good. Tracy, thanks for the tip about extra chicken and vegtables. I wish I knew how to make it from scratch, does it work to buy matzo meal so that I can make my own matzo balls?
Is is as easy as adding eggs and oil to meal? next time in the store, I'll look for meal. I love to double up on the matzo meal so that I can make the matzo balls as big as small apples.
Old 10-16-2011, 10:45 PM   #6
Fatgirlfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shosh View Post
My sister makes the most amazing matzah ball soup.
How does she make them? you just can't tease me like that and then not tell me how is is done!
Old 10-17-2011, 09:42 PM   #7
Tracyarts

Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!

" I wish I knew how to make it from scratch, does it work to buy matzo meal so that I can make my own matzo balls? "

That's how my mother in law always makes it. I don't have her recipe, but there are so many of them online, that have all kinds of different ingredients to add to the flavor and texture. I may try making them that way since I make dumplings from scratch and it's not that difficult.

Tracy
Old 10-20-2011, 01:00 PM   #8
Juicy Pear

Juicy Pear has said some nice things

One of my favorite childhood memories is eating my Aunt Yetta's matzoh ball soup on a cold winter day. I remember watching her make them. She would keep the faucet running to wet her fingers so she could roll the balls without the batter sticking to her hands. Then she would drop them into the boiling chicken broth.

I made them for myself a few times from a mix. They tasted like Aunt Yetta's, surprisingly. But it wasn't the same; I guess being with family makes all the difference.

Aunt Jane's potato kugel was incredible too. So rich! I haven't attempted to make it...yet.
Juicy Pear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 10:28 PM   #9
Fatgirlfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juicy Pear View Post
One of my favorite childhood memories is eating my Aunt Yetta's matzoh ball soup on a cold winter day. I remember watching her make them. She would keep the faucet running to wet her fingers so she could roll the balls without the batter sticking to her hands. Then she would drop them into the boiling chicken broth.

I made them for myself a few times from a mix. They tasted like Aunt Yetta's, surprisingly. But it wasn't the same; I guess being with family makes all the difference.

Aunt Jane's potato kugel was incredible too. So rich! I haven't attempted to make it...yet.
Ah, yes the batter sticking to hands, to spoons, to the tray that I put them on. I wanted to put all of them in the broth at the same time. Did Yetta make her own broth?
Old 10-23-2011, 08:02 PM   #10
Juicy Pear

Juicy Pear has said some nice things

I think she used kosher chicken bouillon. The broth was very clear with a bit of fine parsley and I remember a few sliced carrots. She probably put mirepoix in the broth.

Aunt Yetta cooked with chicken schmaltz a lot. There was fat in the batter, I think, and that's why the water kept the batter from sticking to her hands.

Aunt Yetta also made a delicious roast chicken. Simple recipe; she'd pour a 64 ounce can of orange juice over the chicken before roasting it in the oven. I don't recall anything else she did to it. I just remember how good it tasted.

These days I use olive oil instead of schmaltz. My family has a history of heart attacks and strokes. My gentile mother cooked with bacon fat, and my dad died from a stroke.

Daddy wasn't a strict Jew; he ate bacon, ham, shellfish and mixed dairy and meat. And married a gentile.
Juicy Pear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 10:40 PM   #11
Fatgirlfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juicy Pear View Post
I think she used kosher chicken bouillon. The broth was very clear with a bit of fine parsley and I remember a few sliced carrots. She probably put mirepoix in the broth.

Aunt Yetta cooked with chicken schmaltz a lot. There was fat in the batter, I think, and that's why the water kept the batter from sticking to her hands.

Aunt Yetta also made a delicious roast chicken. Simple recipe; she'd pour a 64 ounce can of orange juice over the chicken before roasting it in the oven. I don't recall anything else she did to it. I just remember how good it tasted.

These days I use olive oil instead of schmaltz. My family has a history of heart attacks and strokes. My gentile mother cooked with bacon fat, and my dad died from a stroke.

Daddy wasn't a strict Jew; he ate bacon, ham, shellfish and mixed dairy and meat. And married a gentile.
Did your dad like Chinese food too? I have a couple of Jewish friends that loved it! They said it was kind of cliche that non observant and simi observant Jews realy like Chinese food. Thanks for the broth tips, yeah I'll avoid too much schmaltz in mine too.