Dimensions Forums  
Home Register Premium Membership Health Issues Market Place Big Fashion

Go Back   Dimensions Forums > Discussion > The Foodee Board

Old 10-31-2011, 04:04 AM   #1
Orchid

Orchid carries a lot of weight on this boardOrchid carries a lot of weight on this boardOrchid carries a lot of weight on this boardOrchid carries a lot of weight on this boardOrchid carries a lot of weight on this boardOrchid carries a lot of weight on this board
Question ? virginia smoked ham ?

Hello
Any Americans living in Europe or who did live here ,
my question is where you able to buy vriginia smoked ham over here ?
Meaning the christmas ham !
Where you able to buy it online somewhere and did you have importing problems with customs?
Any ideas on this ?
Orchid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 11:59 AM   #2
smithnwesson
Drug dealer

smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

I don't know about customs and shipping, but these people have the real thing:

http://www.google.com/aclk?sa=l&ai=C...q=edwards+hams

You can always give them a call.
Old 10-31-2011, 01:58 PM   #3
Tad
mostly harmless

Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.

I know nothing about "Virginia Smoked Ham" (being Canadian and all), but there have to be only so many ways to do a ham. I hope you find a way to order one in (there is nothing like the authentic taste of home when you are living away).

However, if you can't get one through customs, I strongly suspect you'd find that there is very similar hams done somewhere in Europe--my recollection from when we lived there was that there was all sorts of hams, varying tremendously by region. Surely someone makes something similar? Could probably have a lot of fun sampling while you investigate!
Old 11-01-2011, 07:53 PM   #4
smithnwesson
Drug dealer

smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Seriously, if any of y'all have any interest in REAL Virginia ham or any other related products, give these folks a call. They're pricey, but they're outstanding.

I really mean it, and I don't fool around about my fucken ham and sausage. . .

- Jim
Old 11-01-2011, 08:58 PM   #5
moore2me
Lions don't need to spank

moore2me keeps pushing the rep limit!moore2me keeps pushing the rep limit!moore2me keeps pushing the rep limit!moore2me keeps pushing the rep limit!moore2me keeps pushing the rep limit!moore2me keeps pushing the rep limit!moore2me keeps pushing the rep limit!moore2me keeps pushing the rep limit!moore2me keeps pushing the rep limit!moore2me keeps pushing the rep limit!moore2me keeps pushing the rep limit!

Orchid,

Not to be a bi**ch for jumping on you - but you know how salty this Virginia Ham is. Are you allowed to eat this stuff with your heart problems? It may mess up your medication or balance of fluids around your heart.

I remember you looking for one last year - did you have any luck?
moore2me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 10:02 PM   #6
smithnwesson
Drug dealer

Well....... It would be unwise to eat VA ham every day. Ya gotta intersperse it with salads, fruits, veggies, iceberg lettuce, carrots, celery, and shit like that. But every now and then it does make for a really fine treat.

We're all gonna die anyway.

I, for one, would NOT like to be lying on my death bed and be going, "SHIT! I passed up Virginia ham and now I've gotten run over by a fucking bus."

- Jim
Old 11-02-2011, 01:03 PM   #7
Orchid

Orchid carries a lot of weight on this boardOrchid carries a lot of weight on this boardOrchid carries a lot of weight on this boardOrchid carries a lot of weight on this boardOrchid carries a lot of weight on this boardOrchid carries a lot of weight on this board
Default ham

Hello
I emailed a few places that sell this still waiting for an answer. And yes I know this is very salty and I usually stick to my low salt/ no salt , but I would just eat a small slice for the xmas. Unable to eat a lot so just a taste of it.
Old 11-02-2011, 01:29 PM   #8
Orchid

just got a reply from smithfield hams they have no international shipping ,
the virginiatraditions the website contact form stated error so will try again tomorrow , going to look at some recipes for xmas ham now ........
Old 11-02-2011, 04:47 PM   #9
CastingPearls
Go Big Or Go Home

CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.

I was going to suggest honeybakedham.com but it doesn't look like they ship internationally. Sorry. (too bad because everything they make is delicious)

Free me, free yourself
A life of sacrifice controlled me
But those promises I made
No longer hold me
Mercurial more wayward by the hour
The shackles fall away I'm in your power

People throw rocks at things that shine.
CastingPearls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 05:06 PM   #10
Dr. Feelgood
intellectual nerd

Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.
Default looking on the bright side...

If you can't get Virginia smoked ham, then there are a whole lot of people in Europe who can't get it either. Maybe you could build a smokehouse and get rich.
'Bout fo' hundred pound...
-- Dr. Feelgood & the Interns
Dr. Feelgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 10:44 PM   #11
smithnwesson
Drug dealer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orchid View Post
just got a reply from smithfield hams they have no international shipping ,
the virginiatraditions the website contact form stated error so will try again tomorrow , going to look at some recipes for xmas ham now ........
If you will pm your location in Europe to me, I'll apply my awesome google-foo and see if we can't find you a local source, assuming the Edward's people can't come through. It could be that customs restrictions forbid exporting hams. Who knows? It's maybe like parrots. ???

Hell, if I can get away with it, without going to jail & being Bubba's cellmate for 10 years. I'll just send you one myself.

NOBODY should be deprived of VA ham. That just ain't right.

We'll get you some fucking ham, one way or another. Never fear!

- Jim

Last edited by smithnwesson; 11-02-2011 at 10:51 PM.
smithnwesson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 02:39 AM   #12
Orchid

Smile sad ham news

hello to you all
more ham news , sad news indeed , I called our local customs dept and the food authority dept , very strict rules here on meat imports eventhough it be a dried and smoked product
I did for a minute think about brining and smoking a whole ham but last year we had a tv show on 1900 relive history on a farm and their brined ham went wrong they buried it , besides that I would have to build a small smoker and no pickling salts available never saw those in the grocery shop over here , no hickory chips for smoking either .
I am too ill for transatlantic travel otherwise I would haul myself over and go eat over there in the USA
Thanks for the offer but USA customs is also very strict so I do not want to get anyone into problems over ham as there all sorts of customs forms to fill in to send over to Europe , you did make me laugh with that post
Greetings and you all have a nice day , Orchid .
Old 11-03-2011, 06:10 AM   #13
Tad
mostly harmless

Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.

There is certainly ham sold in Europe...maybe most of it is the more heavily dried kind meant to be sliced thin, but I'm thinking that there must be *some* of the more juicy kind you are looking for.
Old 11-06-2011, 03:46 AM   #14
moore2me
Lions don't need to spank

moore2me keeps pushing the rep limit!moore2me keeps pushing the rep limit!moore2me keeps pushing the rep limit!moore2me keeps pushing the rep limit!moore2me keeps pushing the rep limit!moore2me keeps pushing the rep limit!moore2me keeps pushing the rep limit!moore2me keeps pushing the rep limit!moore2me keeps pushing the rep limit!moore2me keeps pushing the rep limit!moore2me keeps pushing the rep limit!
Default There is more than one way to shave a pig!

Violet,

I found that our one of best ham sellers in Arkansas (Burges) sells German hams as part of their product line. So I did some research on German hams and found that the Germans make several different hams, one that is cured in salt and smoked similar to the Virginia ham. I am not sure exactly where you live in Europe, but lets say you live in England. I ran a goggle search for German food stores in London England and got several hits. I am only listing a few of them. So my findings are listed below. (There is also German ham board that you might plead your case to if this last resort fails you.)

M2M true trivia - in my title I referenced about shaving a pig. I have actually butchered a pig for a meat science class. Pigs are not skinned like other animals. They are shaved in hot water. This leaves the skin intact and helps preserve the hams and is part of the curing (also keeps the meat and fat layer from drying out & holds down contamination).

Ladies and gentlemen, may I present . . . .German hams!!!

http://www.germanfoods.org/consumer/...guidetoham.cfm

Guide to German Ham
Ham is one of the most important meat products in Germany. There are generally two types of ham produced in Germany: raw hams and boiled hams. Raw ham has an intense flavour, a typical red color and a long shelf life. It is treated with curing salt to prevent it from spoiling and to remove the water so it will keep longer.

After curing the ham is smoked and/or air-dried which extends its shelf life still further and improves the flavor. The quality and ultimately also the price depend on how long the ham has been smoked or dried in air.

A distinction is then made between Knochenschinken (ham on the bone), Nussschinken (fillet ham), Rollschinken (rolled ham) and Schinkenspeck (fatty ham), depending on the way in which the ham is cut, spiced, smoked, dried or stored.

I did a search for german foods in London and got the following hits

https://www.germandeli.co.uk/sess/ut...dex.shopscript

(I think this is the same place) www.germandeli.co.uk

The best German delicatessen / food shop in London?
I want to buy authentic German foods including pretzel, sausages.....Do you know any recommendable German food stores in London ?
Best Answer - Chosen by Asker
There is a German deli in Park Street, by Borough Market. I am sure you will find what you need there. My sister lived in Germany and she rates this place. She also uses Lidli supermarkets as they sell good German meats

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Also, perhaps one of our DIMMERS from Germany or German speakers (the Chief) can help you further.
moore2me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 09:40 AM   #15
smithnwesson
Drug dealer

^ ^ ^ ^ Excellent post, M2M. I can't rep you again.