Dimensions Forums  
Home Register Premium Membership Stories Ye Olde Library Health Issues Market Place Big Fashion

Go Back   Dimensions Forums > Discussion > The Foodee Board

Old 11-21-2011, 04:50 PM   #51
QuasimodoQT
Shy viking

QuasimodoQT never has a post go unnoticedQuasimodoQT never has a post go unnoticedQuasimodoQT never has a post go unnoticedQuasimodoQT never has a post go unnoticedQuasimodoQT never has a post go unnoticedQuasimodoQT never has a post go unnoticedQuasimodoQT never has a post go unnoticed

Mine was one I made on a fresh rosemary ciabatta roll, quite soft, but a bit of chewiness in the crust, with an edge of crispness.

I melted plenty of triple cream Brie and spread it thickly on both sides.

Then several slices of reheated leftover prime rib.

Several leaves of cold crisp romaine, and a quick grind of smoked peppercorn, and my eyes were rolling back in my head.

I still debate whether a thin slice of beefsteak tomato might have made it even better or not.
Old 11-21-2011, 07:14 PM   #52
Dr. Feelgood
intellectual nerd

Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuasimodoQT View Post
I still debate whether a thin slice of beefsteak tomato might have made it even better or not.
This is a serious question, and there are no easy answers, because so much depends on the individual tomato. If the tomato was home-grown, the answer is YES!: a ripe, home-grown beefsteak tomato will make almost anything better, including a broken heart. If the tomato was organic and locally grown, the answer is 'probably'. But if the tomato came from Safeway ... or if its provenance is unknown ... you are right to exercise caution: your sandwich sounds like a work of art that needs to be protected from the second-rate tomatoes of an uncaring public.
'Bout fo' hundred pound...
-- Dr. Feelgood & the Interns
Dr. Feelgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 02:54 PM   #53
QuasimodoQT
Shy viking

QuasimodoQT never has a post go unnoticedQuasimodoQT never has a post go unnoticedQuasimodoQT never has a post go unnoticedQuasimodoQT never has a post go unnoticedQuasimodoQT never has a post go unnoticedQuasimodoQT never has a post go unnoticedQuasimodoQT never has a post go unnoticed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Feelgood View Post
This is a serious question, and there are no easy answers, because so much depends on the individual tomato. If the tomato was home-grown, the answer is YES!: a ripe, home-grown beefsteak tomato will make almost anything better, including a broken heart. If the tomato was organic and locally grown, the answer is 'probably'. But if the tomato came from Safeway ... or if its provenance is unknown ... you are right to exercise caution: your sandwich sounds like a work of art that needs to be protected from the second-rate tomatoes of an uncaring public.
And a well-considered answer that is
I think I need some homegrown tomatoes right NOW!
Tried to rep you, but I guess I've repped you elsewhere too recently.

Last edited by QuasimodoQT; 11-22-2011 at 02:56 PM. Reason: Couldn't rep.
QuasimodoQT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 08:55 PM   #54
MattB

MattB keeps pushing the rep limit!MattB keeps pushing the rep limit!MattB keeps pushing the rep limit!MattB keeps pushing the rep limit!MattB keeps pushing the rep limit!MattB keeps pushing the rep limit!MattB keeps pushing the rep limit!MattB keeps pushing the rep limit!MattB keeps pushing the rep limit!MattB keeps pushing the rep limit!MattB keeps pushing the rep limit!

Couple of things...anyone remember that PBS documentary on sandwiches? I think it was on about 10 years ago, I was riveted watching it...I didn't have Food Network at the time, so the whole concept blew me away.

I don't think I have a "greatest" sandwich, but like a lot of folks here- any sandwich involving leftovers is my idea of heaven. For example- I never liked meat loaf, but I love making meat loaf sandwiches...very simple with a slice of onion and maybe a bit of extra ketchup to glue it together. Magic.

(I don't classify hamburgers as sandwiches either, despite the similarities of ingredients they just seem different. If you put a burger, bun and all, between two slices of bread- that would be a sandwich...)
MattB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 09:24 PM   #55
activistfatgirl
donuts at the finish line

activistfatgirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.activistfatgirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.activistfatgirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.activistfatgirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.activistfatgirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.activistfatgirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.activistfatgirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.activistfatgirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.activistfatgirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.activistfatgirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.activistfatgirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Ha ha, I literally typed and re-typed this post so many times it's obvious that "the greatest sandwich" is SERIOUS BUSINESS.

My current answer is I'm not sure but I'm going to guess for me it involves roast chicken, bacon, garlic mayo, fresh tomatoes, red onion, argula, and homemade bread. But then there's avocados! And slaws! And chipotle!
Old 11-24-2011, 06:44 PM   #56
smithnwesson
Drug dealer

smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Quote:
Originally Posted by activistfatgirl View Post
Ha ha, I literally typed and re-typed this post so many times it's obvious that "the greatest sandwich" is SERIOUS BUSINESS.

My current answer is I'm not sure but I'm going to guess for me it involves roast chicken, bacon, garlic mayo, fresh tomatoes, red onion, argula, and homemade bread. But then there's avocados! And slaws! And chipotle!
Damn! That would be so thick that an alligator couldn't get it into his mouth.
Old 11-26-2011, 03:54 PM   #57
Fat Brian
retarded disfigured clown

Fat Brian has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Fat Brian has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Fat Brian has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Fat Brian has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Fat Brian has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Fat Brian has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Fat Brian has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Fat Brian has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Fat Brian has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Fat Brian has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Fat Brian has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Old 11-26-2011, 04:36 PM   #58
Deven
Wendigo

Deven keeps pushing the rep limit!Deven keeps pushing the rep limit!Deven keeps pushing the rep limit!Deven keeps pushing the rep limit!Deven keeps pushing the rep limit!Deven keeps pushing the rep limit!Deven keeps pushing the rep limit!Deven keeps pushing the rep limit!Deven keeps pushing the rep limit!Deven keeps pushing the rep limit!Deven keeps pushing the rep limit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Brian View Post
That cleaver looks rusty. I'd want a tetnus shot first....
Old 11-27-2011, 08:08 PM   #59
Fat Brian
retarded disfigured clown

Fat Brian has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Fat Brian has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Fat Brian has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Fat Brian has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Fat Brian has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Fat Brian has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Fat Brian has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Fat Brian has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Fat Brian has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Fat Brian has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Fat Brian has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevenDoom View Post
That cleaver looks rusty. I'd want a tetnus shot first....
I think internal bleeding will get you before the tetanus does.
Old 11-28-2011, 11:50 PM   #60
sunnie1653
Happiest. Mommy. Ever. :)

sunnie1653 is a pillar of the Dimensions communitysunnie1653 is a pillar of the Dimensions communitysunnie1653 is a pillar of the Dimensions communitysunnie1653 is a pillar of the Dimensions communitysunnie1653 is a pillar of the Dimensions communitysunnie1653 is a pillar of the Dimensions communitysunnie1653 is a pillar of the Dimensions communitysunnie1653 is a pillar of the Dimensions communitysunnie1653 is a pillar of the Dimensions communitysunnie1653 is a pillar of the Dimensions communitysunnie1653 is a pillar of the Dimensions community

Quote:
Originally Posted by D_A_Bunny View Post
A fresh, ripe sliced tomato on Bunny brand white bread, with Hellmann's mayo on both sides with a dash of salt and pepper, sliced on the diagonal.
!!!!!!!

Want this. NOW.
sunnie1653 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 08:31 AM   #61
AmazingAmy

AmazingAmy has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!AmazingAmy has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!AmazingAmy has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!AmazingAmy has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!AmazingAmy has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!AmazingAmy has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!AmazingAmy has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!AmazingAmy has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!AmazingAmy has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!AmazingAmy has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!AmazingAmy has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

I've been making a pretty nommy panini lately in a bid to get more greens. I marinade chunky slices of red onion, courgettes, cherry tomatoes, and three colour peppers in olive oil and balsamic vinegar. I grill them, put them on a panini covered in brie or cheddar, then toast it. Sooo good.
AmazingAmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 04:46 PM   #62
EMH1701

EMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions community

I like a good reuben.
EMH1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 03:02 PM   #63
smithnwesson
Drug dealer

smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Reubens don't suck.

Nom Nom Nom Nom . . .

- Jim
Old 12-24-2011, 01:06 AM   #64
Skye23

Skye23 can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokesSkye23 can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokesSkye23 can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokes

One of my favorite sandwiches is one I can only have a few times a year because it involves leftovers.

First a roast a thick-cut spiral cut ham, flat side down on the grate of my roasting pan with either coca cola or apple cider underneath to keep it moist. I glaze the ham every 20-30 minutes with Iron Chef Orange Sauce and Glaze with Ginger.

To make the sandwich I take section of nice crusty french-style baugette and slice it in half. I butter both halves lavishly and then lightly spread some Maille Honey Dijon Mustard on both sides. Next I place a thick slice of swiss cheese, or if there's none to be had Muenster. Last of course are lots of nice thick slices of Glazed Ham.

I only eat this alone, otherwise the moaning and whimpering can get a bit embarassing and even worse, I might be asked to share.
Old 12-24-2011, 03:34 PM   #65
Fuzzy
Just a dirty old man

Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smithnwesson View Post
Reubens don't suck.

Nom Nom Nom Nom . . .

- Jim
Nom^10 .............
Old 05-09-2012, 09:23 PM   #66
smithnwesson
Drug dealer

I'm outta there. - Jim
Old 05-14-2012, 02:38 AM   #67
riplee

riplee has super-sized repriplee has super-sized repriplee has super-sized repriplee has super-sized rep

I ate a Reuben recently that has chipotle sauce instead of thousand island dressing.

It was so damn good!
Old 05-14-2012, 02:47 AM   #68
Ample Pie
Fattitude Problem

Ample Pie keeps pushing the rep limit!Ample Pie keeps pushing the rep limit!Ample Pie keeps pushing the rep limit!Ample Pie keeps pushing the rep limit!Ample Pie keeps pushing the rep limit!Ample Pie keeps pushing the rep limit!Ample Pie keeps pushing the rep limit!Ample Pie keeps pushing the rep limit!Ample Pie keeps pushing the rep limit!Ample Pie keeps pushing the rep limit!Ample Pie keeps pushing the rep limit!

Red Robin's Caprese Chicken Sandwich pretty much owns my soul, but I like just about any sandwich if it has extra extra tomatoes.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg unnamed.jpg (18.5 KB, 151 views)
Old 05-14-2012, 12:51 PM   #69
Deven
Wendigo

Deven keeps pushing the rep limit!Deven keeps pushing the rep limit!Deven keeps pushing the rep limit!Deven keeps pushing the rep limit!Deven keeps pushing the rep limit!Deven keeps pushing the rep limit!Deven keeps pushing the rep limit!Deven keeps pushing the rep limit!Deven keeps pushing the rep limit!Deven keeps pushing the rep limit!Deven keeps pushing the rep limit!

Yeah, I am officially in love with a sandwich from Subway:

On Italian roll:

double buffalo chicken
Pepperjack cheese
Bacon
Tomatoes
chipotle sauce
extra buffalo sauce.

Oh. my. god...
Old 05-19-2012, 04:09 AM   #70
EMH1701

EMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions community

I love a really good Reuben.
EMH1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 07:07 AM   #71
Dr. Feelgood
intellectual nerd

Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMH1701 View Post
I love a really good Reuben.
The key phrase here is "really good." While it is difficult to louse up a Reuben completely, it is also a sandwich that it is hard to get just right. So where do you go to get a REALLY good Reuben?
Old 05-19-2012, 07:18 AM   #72
lypeaches

lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

You raise an excellent point...but the same could be said of most any sandwich. Everyone has their own personal preferences in terms of bread to meat - cheese - condiment - veggie ratio's...so it's really difficult to declare any one sandwich to be perfect, in my opinion.

That being said, I like the Reuben at the Husky Truck Stop in Golden, British Columbia. I prefer a more even ratio of meat/sauerkraut/bread, 2 slices of cheese, and dressing on the side for dipping.
lypeaches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 07:35 AM   #73
deanbpm

deanbpm carries a lot of weight on this boarddeanbpm carries a lot of weight on this boarddeanbpm carries a lot of weight on this boarddeanbpm carries a lot of weight on this boarddeanbpm carries a lot of weight on this boarddeanbpm carries a lot of weight on this board

Bacon and Egg with brown sauce

Old 05-21-2012, 12:15 AM   #74
smithnwesson
Drug dealer

^ ^ ^ ^

There's no way that that could suck.
Old 12-14-2012, 03:16 PM   #75
Dr. Feelgood
intellectual nerd

Today I toasted a pumpernickel bagel. I spread cream cheese on both halves. The, on a whim, I heated up a few slices of tofurkey and put that on, along with a slice of Swiss cheese. And it was wonderful.

Now, would some enterprising carnivore be willing to replicate this sandwich with smoked turkey and report back on the result?