Dimensions Forums  
Home Register Premium Membership Stories Ye Olde Library Health Issues Market Place Big Fashion

Go Back   Dimensions Forums > Discussion > The Foodee Board

Old 11-12-2011, 02:44 PM   #1
BBW Betty
Made My Saving Throw

BBW Betty has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!BBW Betty has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!BBW Betty has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!BBW Betty has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!BBW Betty has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!BBW Betty has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!BBW Betty has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!BBW Betty has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!BBW Betty has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!BBW Betty has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!BBW Betty has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!
Default Christmas baking started...

Well, I have some mini fruitcakes, cream cheese mints, divinity, and cathedral windows done. Still want to try some fudge and spritz at the very least. I hope everything freezes well. My main concern is the divinity. Anyone have any experience with that?

"Be the change you want to see in the world." --Mahatma Gandhi
BBW Betty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 03:17 PM   #2
HottiMegan
I'm a fat geek!

HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.

What's a cathedral window?

I haven't done any baking yet but will be doing a variety of cookies for Max's martial arts school pot luck on the 2nd.
I'm hoping to do a pumpkin cranberry cookie, chocolate chip and Grandma's sugar cookies.
Old 11-13-2011, 07:44 AM   #3
BBW Betty
Made My Saving Throw

BBW Betty has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!BBW Betty has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!BBW Betty has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!BBW Betty has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!BBW Betty has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!BBW Betty has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!BBW Betty has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!BBW Betty has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!BBW Betty has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!BBW Betty has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!BBW Betty has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Cathedral windows are actually fairy simple, made with melted chocolate and with the colored mini-marshmallows stirred in. There are quite a few recipes out there, but this is the one I used:

1 12-oz bag semi-sweet choc. chips
1/2 stick butter

Melt the above together in a heavy sauce pan. (Some people microwave them - either way, it's easy.)

Stir in 1/2 C. chopped walnuts

Dump 1 bag of the marshmallows in a large bowl. Pour melted chocolate over the marshmallows and stir to coat evenly.

Divide into 3 sections, and roll onto waxed paper dusted w/ powdered sugar. Refrigerate or freeze until solid, and then slice.

The slices look something like stained glass windows.

Old 11-13-2011, 05:01 PM   #4
SoVerySoft
No fat no flavor

SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.

I was curious so I googled to see what they looked like. So pretty! And I love chocolate and marshmallow together, so I might make these for the holidays this year.

Thanks, Betty! By the way - you're right. There are other recipes with this name. I think they look yummy too! One example below.

"Well," said Pooh, "what I like best --" and then he had to stop and think. Because although Eating Honey was a very good thing to do, there was a moment just before you began to eat it which was better than when you were, but he didn't know what it was called. - A.A. Milne
SoVerySoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 03:20 PM   #5
MisticalMisty

MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.

One of the ladies I watch on youtube just uploaded a video today for the Stained Glass things!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HF648...&feature=feedu
MisticalMisty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 04:52 PM   #6
Surlysomething

Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Wow. It seems so early to be thinking about it, but with the world we have and all the time restraints on our lives it only makes sense to do some baking early and freeze it. Especially if you have large families or hungry sugar elves lurking about.

Bravo, ladies!

I only make Nanaimo Bars and one new recipe for Christmas and usually the night before Christmas Eve.

I'll be following this thread though to see if there are new recipes that are inspirational.
Surlysomething is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 04:56 PM   #7
jcas50
Liberal Scum

jcas50 does more than just post hot picsjcas50 does more than just post hot picsjcas50 does more than just post hot picsjcas50 does more than just post hot pics
Default time flies

I just got back from Ft Lauderdale - minutes ago - where i saw my nephew and his new baby. We gave them Christmas presents, since we won't see them again till after Christmas. But we started giving holiday treats. She is from Montreal and had some wonderful French pastries. I had rather simple almond cookies to give as presents, but it is at least a start.

The cathedral windows look marvelous. I must try them.
Old 11-16-2011, 10:08 PM   #8
TexasTrouble

TexasTrouble has super-sized repTexasTrouble has super-sized repTexasTrouble has super-sized repTexasTrouble has super-sized rep

Christmas always equals candy making time for me. I'm already making lists of what I want to make for everyone this year. I think there's going to be some fudge, Oreo balls, and chocolate toffee bark in my future.
TexasTrouble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 01:49 AM   #9
Orchid

Orchid carries a lot of weight on this boardOrchid carries a lot of weight on this boardOrchid carries a lot of weight on this boardOrchid carries a lot of weight on this boardOrchid carries a lot of weight on this boardOrchid carries a lot of weight on this board

made xmas fruitcake it contains sherry so will keep in fridge until xmas
Orchid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 10:04 PM   #10
ButlerGirl09
Sugar Magnolia

ButlerGirl09 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!ButlerGirl09 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!ButlerGirl09 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!ButlerGirl09 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!ButlerGirl09 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!ButlerGirl09 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!ButlerGirl09 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!ButlerGirl09 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!ButlerGirl09 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!ButlerGirl09 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!ButlerGirl09 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

I haven't begun baking yet, but I will soon! I see a few of you have made fruitcake. My father is a huge fan of the stuff and I'd like to make him some this year. If you have a recipie for it I'd love if you would pass it onto me! Thanks!
Old 11-18-2011, 07:52 PM   #11
Brenda

Brenda has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Brenda has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Brenda has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Brenda has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Brenda has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Brenda has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Brenda has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Brenda has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Brenda has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Brenda has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Brenda has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

I love baking for Christmas. For for years I have sent my sisters families a huge overnight box of home baked love. They are so please recievingg it because they don't have the baking knack and I love how much my efforts are enjoyed.

Can't wait to get it started but I am having company for Thanksgiving so it will have to wait until they leave.

Brenda
Brenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 11:23 AM   #12
Surlysomething

Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.
Default Cookies, Cookies, Cookies!

A whole schwack of Christmas Cookie Recipes!

Surlysomething is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 08:07 PM   #13
BBW Betty
Made My Saving Throw

Quote:
Originally Posted by ButlerGirl09 View Post
I haven't begun baking yet, but I will soon! I see a few of you have made fruitcake. My father is a huge fan of the stuff and I'd like to make him some this year. If you have a recipie for it I'd love if you would pass it onto me! Thanks!
I love my recipe. I got it from a client when I did supportive home care years ago. I have adapted it a little bit - I don't use the grapefruit peel stuff at all - straight candied cherries and pineapple. It gives it a nice "jeweled" look.

(I also usually cut this in half now, but larger loaves can make great gifts if you have someone who likes fruitcake)

Lilah's Fruitcake

10 eggs
1/2 lb. butter
1/2 C. lemon or orange juice
3 C sugar
1/4 C molasses
1 C wine or brandy
1/2 tsp each: nutmeg, cinnamon, salt
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 lb finely chopped dates
1 lb. golden raisins
6 C. flour
4 lbs candied cherries and pineapple mixed

Beat butter and sugar until fluffy. Add eggs and all liquid ingredients - mix well. Mix in spices and soda. Mix in flour, 1 to 2 cups at a time, and finally, add dates, raisins, and candied fruit. It's a fairly thick batter.

This recipe will make 4 large loaves. Bake at 250 (yes, TWO-fifty) for 3 hours. For my mini -loaves and mini-bundt pans, I bake them for 2 hours at that temp.