Dimensions Forums  
Home Register Premium Membership Stories Ye Olde Library Health Issues Market Place Big Fashion

Go Back   Dimensions Forums > Discussion > The Foodee Board

Old 11-25-2011, 07:40 PM   #1
SoVerySoft
No fat no flavor

SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.
Default Thanksgiving traditions that weren't your own...

I'm wondering if any of you went to someone else's family's Thanksgiving dinner, and if so, were there any dishes or traditions that were unusual, made you smile or scratch your head?

Or if you had dinner with your own family, were there any new or unusual requests this year?
"Well," said Pooh, "what I like best --" and then he had to stop and think. Because although Eating Honey was a very good thing to do, there was a moment just before you began to eat it which was better than when you were, but he didn't know what it was called. - A.A. Milne
SoVerySoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 03:39 PM   #2
Dr. Feelgood
intellectual nerd

Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.

This may turn out to be a short thread, since my impression is that Thanksgiving is all about tradition, nostalgia, and comfort food. My wife's aunt and uncle are getting on a bit, so this year they asked their eldest daughter to help in hosting their family for Thanksgiving. They presented her with a list of foods she was to prepare, along with the recipes, from which, it was made clear, she was not to depart by as much as a hair's breadth!
'Bout fo' hundred pound...
-- Dr. Feelgood & the Interns
Dr. Feelgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 12:35 AM   #3
SoVerySoft
No fat no flavor

SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.

You could be right - a very short thread

I thought it would be fun and spark some discussion...but maybe everyone is still in holiday mode and not hanging out online.

Or maybe it was just a dumb thread idea.
"Well," said Pooh, "what I like best --" and then he had to stop and think. Because although Eating Honey was a very good thing to do, there was a moment just before you began to eat it which was better than when you were, but he didn't know what it was called. - A.A. Milne
SoVerySoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 12:52 AM   #4
EvilPrincess

EvilPrincess has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!EvilPrincess has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!EvilPrincess has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!EvilPrincess has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!EvilPrincess has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!EvilPrincess has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!EvilPrincess has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!EvilPrincess has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!EvilPrincess has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!EvilPrincess has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!EvilPrincess has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Not a bad idea at all - I have shared a variety of thanksgivings over there years. In my past more acerbic attitude, I would refer to it as the grotesque dysfunctional family food traditions. Anything that was not from my FO (Family of origin)was just horrible. I would also at all times refuse to let anyone bring anything. I did not want some horrible spaghetti and kiwi fruit salad presented in your 1972 avocado green Tupperware with matching plastic spiked fork to serve it with on my table.

Over the years I have relaxed and now anything goes. I can appreciate the difference between food abominations and someone else's family traditions. I no longer spend time pondering if the cornbread dressing you are bringing will contain boiled eggs or not. Congealed salads are a lovely addition to any table, and fruit salad can be dressed or topped and why yes Virginia there is a purpose for mandarin oranges and little marshmallows.

Even with my new appreciation for food diversity and tradition diversity, there are still things that stump me. This year it was the following:

a single china bowl filled with cooked rotini pasta sitting in the middle of the table, no dressing, gravy, topping or anything on top. Just plain cooked pasta.

A Jolly Green Giant sized martini glass filled with pimento cheese- pimento cheese is delicious, but I have never seen one in just this way,
EvilPrincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 09:35 AM   #5
Dr. Feelgood
intellectual nerd

Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Darn! I forgot to mix the pimento cheese into the pasta!
There's always something ...
Old 12-02-2011, 04:56 PM   #6
bigsexy920
Ok I'll be good.

bigsexy920 keeps pushing the rep limit!bigsexy920 keeps pushing the rep limit!bigsexy920 keeps pushing the rep limit!bigsexy920 keeps pushing the rep limit!bigsexy920 keeps pushing the rep limit!bigsexy920 keeps pushing the rep limit!bigsexy920 keeps pushing the rep limit!bigsexy920 keeps pushing the rep limit!bigsexy920 keeps pushing the rep limit!bigsexy920 keeps pushing the rep limit!bigsexy920 keeps pushing the rep limit!

Being single for many year and having worked in retail many years a lot of the time I would just go to a local friends house for Thanksgiving and over the years things that they would have on their Thanksgiving table have managed to work their way to my family table. Cheese potatos and White Turnip casserole to name a couple -

As a child TG was a much bigger even than it is now. There was always the traditional things but we also would have some sort of pasta as well. There was always bowls of nuts - and trays of olives, cheeses, crackers, the list goes on and on. We just dont do that all anymore. Some times I miss it - but the fact is I just dont think i can eat that big anymore.

So as much as TG is steeped in tradition - we have, over the years, evolved so to speak
bigsexy920 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 09:59 PM   #7
ChubbyPuppy

ChubbyPuppy can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokesChubbyPuppy can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokesChubbyPuppy can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokes

One of my good friends has a big Italian family and their Thanksgiving meal is lasagna, garlic bread, and cheesecake. Sounds good to me.

Another friend's family goes out for Dim Sum instead of cooking at home.

My immediate family is pretty traditional other than usually having some kind of beef in addition to the turkey, but when I've spent the holiday with my boyfriend, he tends to get adventurous. Last year was a German meal with jaegerschnitzel.
ChubbyPuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 10:11 AM   #8
Dr. Feelgood
intellectual nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChubbyPuppy View Post
Last year was a German meal with jaegerschnitzel.
Okay, I've gotta ask: what's jaegerschnitzel? My totally inadequate knowledge of German would suggest that it is a breaded and fried hunter.
Old 12-04-2011, 03:41 PM   #9
ChubbyPuppy

ChubbyPuppy can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokesChubbyPuppy can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokesChubbyPuppy can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Feelgood View Post
Okay, I've gotta ask: what's jaegerschnitzel? My totally inadequate knowledge of German would suggest that it is a breaded and fried hunter.
That is roughly what it means, haha! It's veal, pounded flat and fried, served smothered in a delicious mushroom gravy. It is my absolute favorite thing that I had in Germany, so my amazing boyfriend decided to teach himself how to cook it. *swoon* Gotta love that man.
ChubbyPuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 06:44 PM   #10
jcas50
Liberal Scum

jcas50 does more than just post hot picsjcas50 does more than just post hot picsjcas50 does more than just post hot picsjcas50 does more than just post hot pics

I was at a nephew's that I don't usually have dinners with and saw a whole side of the family that is different than my norm. I particularly liked lamb and veggies in won ton wrappers and deep fried; deviled eggs; pumpkin cake, and sweet potato casserole w marshmallows and CASHEWS! The wide selection of craft beers from upstate New York impressed me too. And there was this great looking stuffing dish - it had sourdough bread and cornbread, apples, raisins, nuts, chicken broth, onions and more. Unfortunately we got so into talking to each other and enjoying the dishes that were out on the table that we never brought it out. I hate when that happens.