Welcome to the Dimensions Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   Dimensions Forums > Discussion > Health Forum
Register FAQDonate Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-26-2012, 12:03 PM   #1
lypeaches
Master Member

lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!
Default Anyone used a pedal exerciser?

So, I'm thinking of getting one of those small, portable pedal exercisers for use on the days when weather is inclement, or I'm having ankle pain or so.

Has anyone else here used them before? Are they effective at all in terms of getting some aerobic exercise? I don't have the space for a full on recumbent bicycle.

This is one I'm thinking of getting...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pedal.jpg (9.1 KB, 95 views)
lypeaches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 04:09 PM   #2
Fat Brian
retarded disfigured clown

Fat Brian has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Fat Brian has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Fat Brian has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Fat Brian has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Fat Brian has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Fat Brian has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Fat Brian has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Fat Brian has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Fat Brian has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Fat Brian has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Fat Brian has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Fat Brian has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

We have something similar to that, the biggest problem is finding a comfortable chair to use in.
Old 01-26-2012, 05:05 PM   #3
LinathSuru
Dreamer

LinathSuru never has a post go unnoticedLinathSuru never has a post go unnoticedLinathSuru never has a post go unnoticedLinathSuru never has a post go unnoticedLinathSuru never has a post go unnoticedLinathSuru never has a post go unnoticed

My boyfriend ran into the same issue, that being comfort. He does say it worked pretty well though for getting some exercise.
Old 01-27-2012, 06:44 AM   #4
lypeaches
Master Member

lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Cool, thanks for the input.

So, was it impossible to get a chair that was comfortable? or just that you had to try different ones... I think I read a review where someone said a kitchen chair worked best....
Old 01-27-2012, 07:42 AM   #5
Pear320

Pear320 has super-sized repPear320 has super-sized repPear320 has super-sized rep
Default *

This looks exactly like the one I have and I'm happy with it because it doesn't "jump" or move round when I'm using it (like I thought it might). For the price its heavy and seems to be made well. As for the type of chair to use, because my legs are short (I'm only 5'2"), I found that a living room occasional chair with arms is best.. for me. When I tried a kitchen chair I felt like I was going to flip off the chair seat.

Pear320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 03:24 PM   #6
Fat Brian

Fat Brian has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Fat Brian has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Fat Brian has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Fat Brian has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Fat Brian has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Fat Brian has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Fat Brian has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Fat Brian has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Fat Brian has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Fat Brian has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Fat Brian has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Fat Brian has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lypeaches View Post
Cool, thanks for the input.

So, was it impossible to get a chair that was comfortable? or just that you had to try different ones... I think I read a review where someone said a kitchen chair worked best....
You just have to find the right chair. It just takes a few tries to find a comfortable position to be in.
Old 01-27-2012, 05:31 PM   #7
Miss Vickie
Executive Member

Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.
Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Do you guys feel like the rotation of the pedals is big enough? It just looks really cramped to me, and the ones I've used before made my shins hurt. I think I must have been curling my toes because it just didn't fit me right.

Is it best to sit up, do you think, or can it be used as a recumbent somehow?
Miss Vickie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 06:24 AM   #8
Pear320

Pear320 has super-sized repPear320 has super-sized repPear320 has super-sized rep
Default *

Miss Vickie .. I think its an individual thing. Now with the one I have the rotation of the pedals (for me) is big enough but it might be because I'm short. And the living room chair I use DOES make it like a recumbent. I tried several chairs in the house and this chair worked best for me (I'm not squeezing and curling my toes to use it). Like Fat Brian said you have to try several chairs to find a comfortable position. I remember I had to.

~Jan
Pear320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 07:36 AM   #9
lypeaches
Master Member

Well, I settled on a different one actually, from a place that will accept returns, so I ordered it in to give a try.

I'll let you know how it goes Vickie!
Old 01-28-2012, 08:30 AM   #10
Fat Brian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Vickie View Post
Do you guys feel like the rotation of the pedals is big enough? It just looks really cramped to me, and the ones I've used before made my shins hurt. I think I must have been curling my toes because it just didn't fit me right.
It was a little odd for me but I'm tall, for 5'2" Crystal the throw of the pedals was fine. Some seem to have longer pedal shafts than others so it might take a few to find one that fits.
Old 01-28-2012, 12:13 PM   #11
toni
In the know

toni has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!toni has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!toni has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!toni has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!toni has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!toni has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!toni has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!toni has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!toni has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!toni has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!toni has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!toni has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!toni has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

I used one at work after I had my second child. It was not comfortable or easy to position myself to use it. My feet always flew off the pedals.
toni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 10:33 AM   #12
lypeaches
Master Member

Alright, so I finally go mine...bought it from Wayfair for about $40.

My review. For me, I'm short, 5'3". Thanks to the tips here, I just tried it with my kitchen chair immediately, and that did the trick.

It is not equivalent to a bike, as there is little to no tension. However, I found that if you add ankle weights, pedal at a decent clip, and possibly pump your arms a little, you can actually work up a pretty good sweat.

Is it perfect? No. Takes a little fiddling around to get the right position...but it is a non-weight bearing aerobic exercise, and that's hard to find for me, so I'm very happy to now have this option on the days my feet and ankles just aren't up to walking.

Bonus, I can watch TV while I do it.
Old 02-10-2012, 10:54 AM   #13
lypeaches
Master Member

Link to the one I bought...

http://www.wayfair.com/Stamina-InStr...5-SSM1083.html