View Poll Results: Should we look at changing the FA title
Yes 18 62.07%
No 11 37.93%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-10-2012, 08:44 PM   #1
AlbertaBloke

AlbertaBloke has said some nice things
Default FA isnt it about time we changed it

I have been an FA all my life and proud of it. I Love BBW's and SSBBW's your are the perfect women so feminine and sexy just as a women should be.

However am I the only one that hates the FA term. You see to me it kind of goes against everything we are working towards. Fat Admirer yes it is a total correct term howerver I hate the word fat in the title. BBW Big Beautiful Women sounds nice and not derogatory.

For example I was chatting to someone in a bar recently and a BBW walked in. He made an unfunny joke I promptly made him feel like an idiot after he apologised he then asked me to explain size acceptance which I did I just found it difficult when it came to the FA term. As it just doesnt sound nice.

Hopefuly that makes sense so I thought we should put it to a vote and see if we have any wiggle room here.

I know it strange for a new poster to come on with a rant however I have been a fan of dimensions for as long as the site has been going. But I have always been a bit shy about posting.

Cheers all
Matt
Ontario, Canada
AlbertaBloke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 08:26 AM   #2
Webmaster
Chief Emeritus

Webmaster has ascended what used to be the highest level.Webmaster has ascended what used to be the highest level.Webmaster has ascended what used to be the highest level.Webmaster has ascended what used to be the highest level.Webmaster has ascended what used to be the highest level.Webmaster has ascended what used to be the highest level.Webmaster has ascended what used to be the highest level.Webmaster has ascended what used to be the highest level.Webmaster has ascended what used to be the highest level.Webmaster has ascended what used to be the highest level.Webmaster has ascended what used to be the highest level.

The term FA is nowhere near as good as the term BBW, but unfortunately that's all we have. There have been many suggestions over the years, but nothing that was substantially better. I wish it weren't so, but it is.
Webmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 03:58 PM   #3
musicman
I hate fat-haters!

musicman makes people happy simply by logging inmusicman makes people happy simply by logging inmusicman makes people happy simply by logging inmusicman makes people happy simply by logging inmusicman makes people happy simply by logging inmusicman makes people happy simply by logging inmusicman makes people happy simply by logging inmusicman makes people happy simply by logging in

Matt, if you think there is something wrong with the word "fat", then you are buying into the fat-haters' agenda. You are letting them assign a negative meaning to an otherwise neutral word. "Fat" is no more inherently negative than "tall", "short", or "thin". The reason that the word "fat" is in the names of fat acceptance organizations like NAAFA is to neutralize it, to reclaim it for what it really is: a simple adjective, rather than a moral judgment. That may sound like a simple thing, but it's a major part of fat acceptance. I would urge all fat people and FAs to use the word proudly. If we let our enemies define our bodies and our desires as negative, we have already lost the war.

As to the term "Fat Admirer", I don't understand why you felt you needed to say it to a total stranger, if it makes you uncomfortable. I would just say "guys who like fat girls" or something like that. If you act like there's something wrong with it, then again, you're helping the enemy. Would you hesitate to say "guys who like blondes", or "guys who like tall girls"? There's no reason to treat FAs any differently.

Lastly, I assume you realize that no one person or organization has the power to unilaterally change the term "Fat Admirer", even if we want to. You are free to invent any other words to describe yourself, but don't expect the outcome of this poll to change anything.

Congratulations on your first post. I'm not trying to slap you down. I just wanted to point out a few things.
Old 04-12-2012, 05:39 PM   #4
AlbertaBloke

AlbertaBloke has said some nice things

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman View Post
Matt, if you think there is something wrong with the word "fat", then you are buying into the fat-haters' agenda. You are letting them assign a negative meaning to an otherwise neutral word. "Fat" is no more inherently negative than "tall", "short", or "thin". The reason that the word "fat" is in the names of fat acceptance organizations like NAAFA is to neutralize it, to reclaim it for what it really is: a simple adjective, rather than a moral judgment.
I don't think there is anything wrong with the word Fat it is an adjective and yes NAAFA is doing a lot to promote it in the same context as Short etc which is fine but currently in this world at this present moment in time it is used as a negative comment hense my view on it.

Quote:
As to the term "Fat Admirer", I don't understand why you felt you needed to say it to a total stranger, if it makes you uncomfortable.
It doesnt make me uncomfortable but to an educated idiot I have always responded that I like big girls as apposed to fat girls as I have found that big works more in our favor

Quote:
Lastly, I assume you realize that no one person or organization has the power to unilaterally change the term "Fat Admirer", even if we want to. You are free to invent any other words to describe yourself, but don't expect the outcome of this poll to change anything.
Oh there i was thinking this poll was going change everything. Of course I realize this poll will do very little but I was hoping to spark a debate to see if other people felt the same as me or I was a minority

Quote:
Congratulations on your first post. I'm not trying to slap you down. I just wanted to point out a few things.
Thank you, feel free to point out as many things as you like. That is the beauty of the internet people are able to exchange ideas and views.
While they may not be the same views as your own everyone has the right to their own beliefs and that is what makes the human race interesting.

Cheers
Matt
AlbertaBloke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 07:32 PM   #5
CarlaSixx
Just Another Weirdo

CarlaSixx keeps pushing the rep limit!CarlaSixx keeps pushing the rep limit!CarlaSixx keeps pushing the rep limit!CarlaSixx keeps pushing the rep limit!CarlaSixx keeps pushing the rep limit!CarlaSixx keeps pushing the rep limit!CarlaSixx keeps pushing the rep limit!CarlaSixx keeps pushing the rep limit!CarlaSixx keeps pushing the rep limit!CarlaSixx keeps pushing the rep limit!CarlaSixx keeps pushing the rep limit!

Call yourself a "BA" then.

What's a "BA" you ask?

Why, a Bodaciousness Admirer, of course.

------

Honestly, "FA" and "FFA" might not be the best term, but it's useful to those who are in on the size acceptance thing. Otherwise you can just say "guy who likes big chicks" because people outside of the SA community will understand that instantly.
CarlaSixx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 07:40 PM   #6
Surlysomething

Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.

I own my 'fat'.

It's not a bad word when you do.
Surlysomething is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 07:45 PM   #7
CastingPearls
Go Big Or Go Home

CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Yeah, I'm with Surly on this one. Nothing bad about fat just the morons who use it hatefully.

'Bodacious' --I loathe the word when used to describe fat women. It's not a new word and has been applied to all beautiful or hot things, not just women and I personally don't need any additional words assigned to me denoting my size.

No one needs to use ANY of the lingo. It's not required. It's easier here to use initials or a lingo to save time/typing but you can easily say, I like big/fat/curvy/heavy/whatever you're comfortable with, women.

Free me, free yourself
A life of sacrifice controlled me
But those promises I made
No longer hold me
Mercurial more wayward by the hour
The shackles fall away I'm in your power

People throw rocks at things that shine.
CastingPearls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 09:48 PM   #8
balletguy

balletguy makes people happy simply by logging inballetguy makes people happy simply by logging inballetguy makes people happy simply by logging inballetguy makes people happy simply by logging inballetguy makes people happy simply by logging inballetguy makes people happy simply by logging inballetguy makes people happy simply by logging inballetguy makes people happy simply by logging inballetguy makes people happy simply by logging in

Should it be changed...maybe but to what my friends call me a chubby chaser I dont think that is a good term. Good question not sure if I have a good answer for it though
balletguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 11:02 PM   #9
NewfieGal
Live laugh love always :)

NewfieGal is a pillar of the Dimensions communityNewfieGal is a pillar of the Dimensions communityNewfieGal is a pillar of the Dimensions communityNewfieGal is a pillar of the Dimensions communityNewfieGal is a pillar of the Dimensions communityNewfieGal is a pillar of the Dimensions communityNewfieGal is a pillar of the Dimensions communityNewfieGal is a pillar of the Dimensions communityNewfieGal is a pillar of the Dimensions communityNewfieGal is a pillar of the Dimensions communityNewfieGal is a pillar of the Dimensions community

I think the term. FA is ok... like many words fat is not a " bad" word depending on the use of it or the tone taken while using it... with so many bigger more important struggles to face i wont even use tge word FA I'll just call ya by name instead
NewfieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 03:21 AM   #10
The Orange Mage
♓ Fishy Pisces! ♓

The Orange Mage keeps pushing the rep limit!The Orange Mage keeps pushing the rep limit!The Orange Mage keeps pushing the rep limit!The Orange Mage keeps pushing the rep limit!The Orange Mage keeps pushing the rep limit!The Orange Mage keeps pushing the rep limit!The Orange Mage keeps pushing the rep limit!The Orange Mage keeps pushing the rep limit!The Orange Mage keeps pushing the rep limit!The Orange Mage keeps pushing the rep limit!The Orange Mage keeps pushing the rep limit!

It's quite simple. "<person> who likes fat <persons>." Put in whatever genders or lack thereof you wish. Anything else is over-complicating matters. Well, except for maybe identifying as feedist.
The Orange Mage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 08:00 AM   #11
Blackjack
Fupa Troopa

Blackjack has ascended what used to be the highest level.Blackjack has ascended what used to be the highest level.Blackjack has ascended what used to be the highest level.Blackjack has ascended what used to be the highest level.Blackjack has ascended what used to be the highest level.Blackjack has ascended what used to be the highest level.Blackjack has ascended what used to be the highest level.Blackjack has ascended what used to be the highest level.Blackjack has ascended what used to be the highest level.Blackjack has ascended what used to be the highest level.Blackjack has ascended what used to be the highest level.

1. These labels describe, not define, and the sooner people understand that the better. I don't see why there has to be any more baggage for it than that it's shorthand for "person who likes fat persons".

2. We don't exactly have a claim on the terms being used. Dimensions isn't a policy-making group that can mandate fat acceptance terms. The abbreviations came about years ago to save space in personal ads (when more letters cost more money) and have just stuck ever since.
Old 04-14-2012, 01:57 PM   #12
bmann0413
PLAYER ONE READY! START!

bmann0413 keeps pushing the rep limit!bmann0413 keeps pushing the rep limit!bmann0413 keeps pushing the rep limit!bmann0413 keeps pushing the rep limit!bmann0413 keeps pushing the rep limit!bmann0413 keeps pushing the rep limit!bmann0413 keeps pushing the rep limit!bmann0413 keeps pushing the rep limit!bmann0413 keeps pushing the rep limit!bmann0413 keeps pushing the rep limit!bmann0413 keeps pushing the rep limit!

The only problem I think is with it is how it's also used to describe feeders. Not that there's anything wrong with that, but non-FAs kinda see feedism (or feederism, whichever is the actual term) as a destructive process, so they'll think that ALL FAs are feeders by extension.
Old 04-15-2012, 11:40 AM   #13
MrRabbit

MrRabbit can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokesMrRabbit can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokes

I am also not very fond of the term "Fat Admirer" because it contains too much objectification for my liking. It reduces me to "admiring fat" and our partners to "fat that is being admired". I prefer to use "BBW lover", because it better describes what it is about: loving a person who is a BBW.
MrRabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 01:12 PM   #14
Surlysomething

Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRabbit View Post
I am also not very fond of the term "Fat Admirer" because it contains too much objectification for my liking. It reduces me to "admiring fat" and our partners to "fat that is being admired". I prefer to use "BBW lover", because it better describes what it is about: loving a person who is a BBW.
But that excludes that women that enjoy a large partner. Plus in all honesty, BBW is subjective as well. I see a lot of men and women and while they may be big, I sure don't find them beautiful or handsome. Haha.
Surlysomething is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 04:20 PM   #15
Jon Blaze
Dusk

Jon Blaze keeps pushing the rep limit!Jon Blaze keeps pushing the rep limit!Jon Blaze keeps pushing the rep limit!Jon Blaze keeps pushing the rep limit!Jon Blaze keeps pushing the rep limit!Jon Blaze keeps pushing the rep limit!Jon Blaze keeps pushing the rep limit!Jon Blaze keeps pushing the rep limit!Jon Blaze keeps pushing the rep limit!Jon Blaze keeps pushing the rep limit!Jon Blaze keeps pushing the rep limit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackjack View Post
1. These labels describe, not define, and the sooner people understand that the better. I don't see why there has to be any more baggage for it than that it's shorthand for "person who likes fat persons".

2. We don't exactly have a claim on the terms being used. Dimensions isn't a policy-making group that can mandate fat acceptance terms. The abbreviations came about years ago to save space in personal ads (when more letters cost more money) and have just stuck ever since.
This. Honestly, How many people actually refer themselves as FAs in public? FA for me is almost exclusively online jargon I use on forums. In public I just say a "Guy that likes fat women" period.

"Happiness is not stopping to think if you are."- Palmer Sondreal
Jon Blaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 06:52 PM   #16
joswitch
Exile from Main Board

joswitch has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!joswitch has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!joswitch has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!joswitch has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!joswitch has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!joswitch has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!joswitch has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!joswitch has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!joswitch has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!joswitch has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!joswitch has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Yep. "FA" is handy shorthand in writing online. In RL, most people don't use or understand it.

I just say "I'm into cute fat chicks", or something like that.

It's not a union, you don't have to carry a card, and it's ok to use whatever term you're comfortable with to describe yourself.
Old 04-16-2012, 03:25 PM   #17
Nordiques

Nordiques can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokesNordiques can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokes

I use it on this forum for clarity. I don't use it outside the boards, and quite honestly, I wouldn't use any other acronym or name outside the boards. We're all more than labels, but in the context of discussing broad topics that apply to many of us, it's convenient to have FA to use for shorthand.
Nordiques is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 10:23 PM   #18
Elfcat
Radical FPL from Hell

Elfcat never has a post go unnoticedElfcat never has a post go unnoticedElfcat never has a post go unnoticedElfcat never has a post go unnoticedElfcat never has a post go unnoticedElfcat never has a post go unnoticedElfcat never has a post go unnoticedElfcat never has a post go unnoticed
Default FPL: Fat-Positive Lover

As I had posted earlier, I am calling myself a fat-positive lover now. I feel that is a bit clearer.
Elfcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 04:31 AM   #19
BigFA

BigFA does more than just post hot picsBigFA does more than just post hot picsBigFA does more than just post hot picsBigFA does more than just post hot pics

I agree with Mr. Rabbit. The term FA to me does feel like a statement that "I am admiring fat" and not the person. Amoung this community, we all know what it means, so it is "ok" to describe our preferences, but I never use that term in public. I prefer to say "I love heavy women" or "I love BBW's."
BigFA is offline   Reply With Quote