Dimensions Forums  
Home Register Premium Membership Health Issues Market Place Big Fashion

Go Back   Dimensions Forums > Discussion > The Foodee Board

Old 04-04-2012, 03:21 PM   #1
BBW Betty
Made My Saving Throw

BBW Betty has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!BBW Betty has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!BBW Betty has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!BBW Betty has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!BBW Betty has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!BBW Betty has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!BBW Betty has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!BBW Betty has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!BBW Betty has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!BBW Betty has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!BBW Betty has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!
Default April Iron Foodee Challenge

I was having a hard time thinking of something - just look at our list! We are a rather accomplished culinary group.

At long last, I recalled a dish I make that my hubby likes a lot - and it is topped with an unrolled tube of crescent rolls. So that is my challenge. What do / can you create with them? (My recipe will follow)

Past Challenge List
Dec - Oranges

Jan - Cream Cheese
Feb - Soda pop
Mar - Recipes containing a can of soup
Apr – Shrimp
May – Eggs
Jun – Liquor
Jul - Pasta/couscous etc Salads
Aug – Zucchini
Sep - Quick breads / Muffins
Oct – Cheese
Nov – Cranberries
Dec - Fudge

Jan - Slow Cooker Recipe
Feb – Potatoes
Mar - Garlic and Mushrooms
Apr – Chicken
May – Lemons
Jun - 30 min Hot Weather Recipes
Jul - Preserves - Jams, Chutneys, Relishes etc
Aug – Coffee
Sep - Tofu / Cottage Cheese
October – Pumpkin
November - Sweet Potatoes/Yams
December - Mint

January – Soup
February – Pork
March-Mexican Food
April – Cereal
May- Berries
June-Yogurt
July – Corn
August – Asian
September - Breakfast foods
October – Nuts
November – Onions
December - Meat in Casings

January - Side Salads
February – Spinach
March – Beans
April-hot sandwiches
May-Soy Sauce
June – cookies
July - Sour Cream
August - (Summer Break)
Sept - BBQ Foods.
October - Southern cuisine
November - Peanut butter
December-"Packaged Food"

January – rice
February – chocolate
March - Irish food
April - Butter
May- Flour
June-Father's Day Recipes
July-Mayo/Miracle Whip
August-jalapenos
September - Apples
October - candy
November-Root Vegetables
December - Heavy Whipping Cream

January - Cakes
February - chocolate
March- Pizza
April - Crescent Rolls

"Be the change you want to see in the world." --Mahatma Gandhi

Last edited by BBW Betty; 04-04-2012 at 03:29 PM.
BBW Betty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 03:29 PM   #2
BBW Betty
Made My Saving Throw

BBW Betty has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!BBW Betty has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!BBW Betty has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!BBW Betty has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!BBW Betty has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!BBW Betty has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!BBW Betty has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!BBW Betty has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!BBW Betty has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!BBW Betty has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!BBW Betty has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Hamburger Pot Pie

1 lb. lean ground beef
1 medium onion, sliced or chopped
1 can cream of mushroom soup
1 cup sour cream
1-1/2 cup frozen carrots
1-1/2 cup frozen corn
1-1/2 cup frozen peas
1 tube crescent rolls
salt & pepper to taste

1. Brown ground beef in large skillet, adding onions, salt and pepper.
2. When onions are cooked/ caramelized, add mushroom soup and sour cream, mixing well.
3. Add frozen vegetables, and mix well.
4. Pour mixture into a 9 x 13 cake pan, and place the unrolled crescent rolls on top for a crust. Bake at 350 for about 20 minutes, or until crust is golden brown.
5. Removed from oven and let stand for 5 minutes.
6. Serve.

Old 04-08-2012, 02:30 PM   #3
Sweet Tooth
Deep. W i d e.

Sweet Tooth has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sweet Tooth has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sweet Tooth has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sweet Tooth has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sweet Tooth has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sweet Tooth has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sweet Tooth has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sweet Tooth has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sweet Tooth has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sweet Tooth has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sweet Tooth has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

I totally got this one off of Pinterest a few months ago, but it's so easy and yummy. I even make a "half" batch in a half size glass dish with one roll of crescents and just half the ingredients [one whole egg]. So yummy! Beware... it's very hot when it first comes out and needs a little time to "set". Best to time it so it comes out of the oven when you sit down to eat dinner if it's going to be dessert. It also reheats decently.

Easy Cheese Danish

Ingredients:
2 cans ready to use refrigerated crescent rolls
2 8-ounce packages cream cheese
1 cup sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 egg
1 egg white

Glaze:
1/2 cup powdered sugar
2 Tablespoons milk
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract

Method:
Preheat oven to 350* degrees and grease a 13X9-inch baking pan. Lay a pack of crescent rolls in the pan and pinch the openings together. Beat the cream cheese, sugar, vanilla, and egg together until smooth. Spread the mixture over the crescent rolls evenly and then lay the second pack of crescent rolls on top of the cheese mixture and brush with egg white. Bake for 35-45 minutes until the top is golden brown. Top with glaze after cooling for 20 minutes.

A few of my own pics. Notice how it wasn't quite set in the center when I first did a half batch. Just a couple more minutes in the oven and a bit of carry-over baking was all it needed.

Old 04-09-2012, 01:54 PM   #4
D_A_Bunny
www.peaceoneday.org

D_A_Bunny keeps pushing the rep limit!D_A_Bunny keeps pushing the rep limit!D_A_Bunny keeps pushing the rep limit!D_A_Bunny keeps pushing the rep limit!D_A_Bunny keeps pushing the rep limit!D_A_Bunny keeps pushing the rep limit!D_A_Bunny keeps pushing the rep limit!D_A_Bunny keeps pushing the rep limit!D_A_Bunny keeps pushing the rep limit!D_A_Bunny keeps pushing the rep limit!D_A_Bunny keeps pushing the rep limit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Tooth View Post
I totally got this one off of Pinterest a few months ago, but it's so easy and yummy. I even make a "half" batch in a half size glass dish with one roll of crescents and just half the ingredients [one whole egg]. So yummy! Beware... it's very hot when it first comes out and needs a little time to "set". Best to time it so it comes out of the oven when you sit down to eat dinner if it's going to be dessert. It also reheats decently.

Easy Cheese Danish

Ingredients:
2 cans ready to use refrigerated crescent rolls
2 8-ounce packages cream cheese
1 cup sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 egg
1 egg white

Glaze:
1/2 cup powdered sugar
2 Tablespoons milk
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract

Method:
Preheat oven to 350* degrees and grease a 13X9-inch baking pan. Lay a pack of crescent rolls in the pan and pinch the openings together. Beat the cream cheese, sugar, vanilla, and egg together until smooth. Spread the mixture over the crescent rolls evenly and then lay the second pack of crescent rolls on top of the cheese mixture and brush with egg white. Bake for 35-45 minutes until the top is golden brown. Top with glaze after cooling for 20 minutes.

A few of my own pics. Notice how it wasn't quite set in the center when I first did a half batch. Just a couple more minutes in the oven and a bit of carry-over baking was all it needed.

That looks sooooooooooooooooooooo good!
Old 04-09-2012, 02:12 PM   #5
Sweet Tooth
Deep. W i d e.

Sweet Tooth has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sweet Tooth has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sweet Tooth has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sweet Tooth has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sweet Tooth has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sweet Tooth has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sweet Tooth has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sweet Tooth has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sweet Tooth has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sweet Tooth has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sweet Tooth has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Quote:
Originally Posted by D_A_Bunny View Post
That looks sooooooooooooooooooooo good!
Thanks. I have to say, it's quite yummy and so easy. I basically know the proportions by heart now so it's easy to whip up. Even my niece who does not at all like cream cheese loves this stuff.

The original author also tried it with lower fat and lower calorie products. She said it's still yummy. I tried the reduced fat crescent rolls once, but they had a weird aftertaste. Don't recommend that shortcut. :\
Old 04-09-2012, 03:49 PM   #6
BBW Betty
Made My Saving Throw

Quote:
Thanks. I have to say, it's quite yummy and so easy. I basically know the proportions by heart now so it's easy to whip up. Even my niece who does not at all like cream cheese loves this stuff.

The original author also tried it with lower fat and lower calorie products. She said it's still yummy. I tried the reduced fat crescent rolls once, but they had a weird aftertaste. Don't recommend that shortcut. :\
I make it with the reduced fat crescent rolls and the Neuftachel (sp?) cheese. Still very yummy, IMO. Really glad you posted this one.

Old 04-10-2012, 06:58 PM   #7
mpls_girl26

mpls_girl26 makes people happy simply by logging inmpls_girl26 makes people happy simply by logging inmpls_girl26 makes people happy simply by logging inmpls_girl26 makes people happy simply by logging inmpls_girl26 makes people happy simply by logging inmpls_girl26 makes people happy simply by logging inmpls_girl26 makes people happy simply by logging inmpls_girl26 makes people happy simply by logging inmpls_girl26 makes people happy simply by logging in

Recipe: Broccoli Cheddar Chicken Braid
Serves: 5

Ingredients
◦2 cans Pillsbury Original Crescent Rolls
◦2 cups chicken chunks, cooked
◦2 cups cheddar cheese
◦2 cups broccoli, frozen, steamed and chopped
◦1/2 cup light mayonnaise ( I have successfully used sour cream instead)
◦1 egg yolk
◦fresh rosemary

Instructions

1.Preheat oven to 375 degrees F
2.On a parchment paper lined cookie sheet, spread both cans of crescents length wise to form a long rectangle.
3.Press each of the seams to form a single layer of dough.
4.In a large bowl, combine chicken, cheese, broccoli and mayonnaise
5.Spread mixture over the center of the croissant dough evenly to create a log.
6.Using a sharp knife, cut horizontal strips 1 inch apart down each side of the crescent dough.
7.Fold the dough strips over the top of the chicken mixture, alternating left and right to create a braid.
8.Brush the top of the braid with a beaten egg yolk and sprinkle fresh rosemary on top.
9.Bake for 28 – 30 minutes until golden brown.

This can easily be halved which is what I did when I made it. Next time I want to do a variation of chicken, red pepper, spinach, garlic and feta. YUM! Unfortunately I didn't take a picture of mine but here is the pic from the website I got the recipe from. I'm LOVING Pinterest!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg broccoli-chedder-chicken-croissant-braid.jpg (109.0 KB, 110 views)
mpls_girl26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 07:06 PM   #8
Sweet Tooth
Deep. W i d e.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBW Betty View Post
I make it with the reduced fat crescent rolls and the Neuftachel (sp?) cheese. Still very yummy, IMO. Really glad you posted this one.
Glad you liked it. Apparently it can be made with Splenda, too. Just haven't gone there yet. I don't make it often, so I prefer to use the "real" stuff.
Old 04-10-2012, 08:05 PM   #9
PamelaLois
ILL-INI

PamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions community

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpls_girl26 View Post
Recipe: Broccoli Cheddar Chicken Braid
Serves: 5

Ingredients
◦2 cans Pillsbury Original Crescent Rolls
◦2 cups chicken chunks, cooked
◦2 cups cheddar cheese
◦2 cups broccoli, frozen, steamed and chopped
◦1/2 cup light mayonnaise ( I have successfully used sour cream instead)
◦1 egg yolk
◦fresh rosemary

Instructions

1.Preheat oven to 375 degrees F
2.On a parchment paper lined cookie sheet, spread both cans of crescents length wise to form a long rectangle.
3.Press each of the seams to form a single layer of dough.
4.In a large bowl, combine chicken, cheese, broccoli and mayonnaise
5.Spread mixture over the center of the croissant dough evenly to create a log.
6.Using a sharp knife, cut horizontal strips 1 inch apart down each side of the crescent dough.
7.Fold the dough strips over the top of the chicken mixture, alternating left and right to create a braid.
8.Brush the top of the braid with a beaten egg yolk and sprinkle fresh rosemary on top.
9.Bake for 28 – 30 minutes until golden brown.

This can easily be halved which is what I did when I made it. Next time I want to do a variation of chicken, red pepper, spinach, garlic and feta. YUM! Unfortunately I didn't take a picture of mine but here is the pic from the website I got the recipe from. I'm LOVING Pinterest!
OMG, this looks so good, my mouth is watering! My mom used to make something she called Chicken Divan that was brocolli, chicken, cheese and cream of mushroom soup. It looked just like the filling here. I wonder if I can substitute cream of mushroom soup for the mayo, I don't like mayo much? hmmm, time for some experimentation
Old 04-11-2012, 10:56 AM   #10
Deven
Wendigo

Deven keeps pushing the rep limit!Deven keeps pushing the rep limit!Deven keeps pushing the rep limit!Deven keeps pushing the rep limit!Deven keeps pushing the rep limit!Deven keeps pushing the rep limit!Deven keeps pushing the rep limit!Deven keeps pushing the rep limit!Deven keeps pushing the rep limit!Deven keeps pushing the rep limit!Deven keeps pushing the rep limit!

Spinach Pinwheels:

1 package of Crescent Rolls
1 8 oz. package of cream cheese (softened)
1 10 oz. package of frozen spinach (defrosted and drained)
1 tbsp. minced garlic
1/4 cup parmesan Cheese (I use Kraft)
Salt and Pepper (to your liking)
1/2 cup melted butter (optional)

Preheat oven to 375F

In a bowl mix together the softened cream cheese, drained spinach, garlic, cheese, salt and pepper.

Open the can of crescent rolls. There will be two sections when you pop it open. Carefully pull them apart, and set the second section aside. Pinch the cuts between the rolls so it's one piece of dough.

Spread half the spinach cheese mixture over the dough. Roll the dough the long way, and then slice it into 1 inch thick pieces. Repeat with the second section of dough.

Use parchment paper and set them on a cookie sheet/baking tray. Bake for 10-15 minutes, or until golden brown. Gently brush with the melted butter. Serve!

Edit: My husband likes me to add some other cheeses into it. I've added shredded cheddar to it (not bad.) This weekend, I'm going to make these again, only this time using a Boston Market Cheesy Spinach recipe I found online.

(Picture taken from the blog Living a Bona Fide Life)

Last edited by Deven; 04-11-2012 at 11:02 AM.
Deven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 01:57 PM   #11
EMH1701

EMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions community

I wish I did anything with crescent rolls, other than baking them as is. :/
EMH1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 10:07 PM   #12
TwilightStarr

TwilightStarr has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!TwilightStarr has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!TwilightStarr has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!TwilightStarr has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!TwilightStarr has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!TwilightStarr has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!TwilightStarr has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!TwilightStarr has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!TwilightStarr has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!TwilightStarr has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!TwilightStarr has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Quote:

As soon as I saw this recipe, I went to the store the next day to buy what I needed to make it.

It is soo good!!
TwilightStarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 10:14 PM   #13
TwilightStarr

TwilightStarr has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!TwilightStarr has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!TwilightStarr has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!TwilightStarr has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!TwilightStarr has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!TwilightStarr has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!TwilightStarr has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!TwilightStarr has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!TwilightStarr has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!TwilightStarr has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!TwilightStarr has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Sausage and Cheese Crescent Squares

INGREDIENTS
2 cans (8 oz each) Pillsbury® refrigerated crescent dinner rolls or 2 cans (8 oz each) Pillsbury® Crescent Recipe Creations® refrigerated seamless dough sheet
1 lb spicy or mild bulk pork sausage
1 package (8 oz) cream cheese
2 cups shredded sharp Cheddar cheese (8 oz)

DIRECTIONS
1 Heat oven to 375°F.

2 If using crescent rolls: Unroll 1 can of dough into 2 long rectangles.
Place in ungreased 13x9-inch (3-quart) glass baking dish; press over bottom and 1/2 inch up sides to form crust.
If using dough sheets: Unroll 1 can of dough.
Place in ungreased 13x9-inch (3-quart) glass baking dish; press over bottom and 1/2 inch up sides to form crust.

3 In 12-inch skillet, cook sausage over medium heat, stirring frequently, until no longer pink.
Remove sausage from skillet; discard drippings.
To same skillet, add cream cheese.
Cook over low heat until melted.
Add cooked sausage; stir to coat.
Spoon evenly over crust in baking dish.
Sprinkle with cheese.

4 If using crescent rolls: Unroll second can of dough on work surface.
Press to form 13x9-inch rectangle; firmly press perforations to seal.
Carefully place over cheese.
If using dough sheets: Unroll second can of dough on work surface.
Press to form 13x9-inch rectangle.
Carefully place over cheese.

5 Bake 21 to 26 minutes or until golden brown.

Cool 15 minutes.
Cut into small squares.

I was making these at least once a month, because they are that good!
But ever since I got a real bad stomach virus a couple months ago my taste buds have changed a lot and I can't stand sausage now
TwilightStarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 04:53 PM   #14
Sweet Tooth
Deep. W i d e.

I was thinking when this ingredient came up... I use crescent rolls (or premade pie dough) for a lot of pasty/empanada types of things. I'll do everything from a chicken/enchilada sauce/cheese thing to chicken and salsa to premixed rice things with meat. Pretty much anything thrown in one, at least warmed or partially cooked first, and then baked for 20 or so minutes. So many of my go-to fast meals where it takes a few minutes to mix up and I can relax and let it bake are made this way.
Old 04-18-2012, 06:00 PM   #15
MisticalMisty

MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Don't know have a name for these...but another pinterest find..OMG!

1 can crescent rolls
Nutella
Cinnamon
Sugar

Fill crescent roll with a spoonful of nutella. Seal and roll in cinnamon/sugar mixture. Bake per package directions.

*not my pic*

Last edited by MisticalMisty; 05-20-2012 at 05:37 PM.
MisticalMisty is offline   Reply With Quote