Dimensions Forums  
Home Register Premium Membership Stories Ye Olde Library Health Issues Market Place Big Fashion

Go Back   Dimensions Forums > Discussion > The Foodee Board

Old 04-30-2012, 11:28 AM   #1
HottiMegan
I'm a fat geek!

HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.
Default Cinco de Mayo appetizer recipes?

Hi We're throwing a house warming party on Saturday and thought since it's Cinco De Mayo, we should do Mexican food themed munchies. I am having a total brain fart as to what to make.
I am thinking guacamole, salsa, 7 layer dip but cant think of anything more. I want stuff that i can make and will be okay an hour later on the table. Appetizer are easier to serve..

got any recipe suggestions? I can convert most non-vegetarian food into vegetarian food with some substitutions. I wish i had my Mexican aunt's contact info. She's such a great cook!
Old 04-30-2012, 12:05 PM   #2
crayola box

crayola box knows EXACTLY what's going oncrayola box knows EXACTLY what's going oncrayola box knows EXACTLY what's going oncrayola box knows EXACTLY what's going oncrayola box knows EXACTLY what's going oncrayola box knows EXACTLY what's going oncrayola box knows EXACTLY what's going on

Nothing authentic springs to mind but here's some tex-mex-y ideas:

-Vegetarian Taco cups using crumbles or portobellos for the "meat", with toppings, basically tacos in cups made of tostitoes scoops or wonton wrappers baked in muffin tins. Similiarly, mini tostadas.

-hand-held tamales - mayo clinic as a good vegetarian recipe online, the filling is zucchini, black beans, tomatoes, and corn.

-jalepeno poppers made with mexican cheese to mimic chile rellenos

-Mock chicken taquitos

-Quesadillas with grilled peppers and onions cut into small wedges

-Fruit kebabs sprinkled with lime, cinnamon, and chipotle powder

-"Fried" mini ice cream balls (made with cornflakes)

Except for the ice cream all of this can sit out safely for an hour.

Last edited by crayola box; 04-30-2012 at 12:07 PM.
crayola box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 01:55 PM   #3
HottiMegan
I'm a fat geek!

HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Thanks for the ideas. Hmm tamales might be fun to try. I also like the fruity kebab idea since there will be kids. Max requested quesadillas.
Old 04-30-2012, 02:52 PM   #4
Dr. Feelgood
intellectual nerd

Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.
Default chickaritos

3 cups finely chopped seitan
1/4 cup minced jalapenos
1/2 cup finely chopped green onions
1 1/2 cups grated soy cheese
1 tsp tabasco
1 tsp garlic salt
1/4 tsp black pepper
1/4 tsp cumin
1/4 tsp paprika
enough pie crust for two 10" pie crusts
water salsa

Combine the seitan, jalapenos, onions, cheese, and seasonings, and mix well. Roll out half the crust into a 9"x12" rectangle. Cut into 9 small rectangles. Put @ 2 Tbsp of filling into the center of each rectangle. Wet the edges of the pastry with water and roll it around the filling; crimp the ends with a fork to seal it. Repeat with the rest of the pastry and filling. Place the chickaritos, seam side down, on an oiled or nonstick cookie sheet. Bake at 425 until brown, 20-25 min. Serve with salsa.

pie crust:

1 1/2 cups white flour
dash salt
2 Tbsp sugar
6 tbsp margarine
1/2 tsp vanilla
3 to 4 Tbsp cold water

Combine first 3 ingredients, cut in the margarine, add the vanilla and water and stir to form a ball. Wrap in waxed paper and chill 30 min.
'Bout fo' hundred pound...
-- Dr. Feelgood & the Interns
Dr. Feelgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 03:31 PM   #5
EMH1701

EMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions community

I have a Mexican cookbook and want to try pozole. Basically, it's menudo without the tripe. I've had good tripe, but it's not easy to come by in Minnesota outside of a restaurant.
EMH1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 09:55 AM   #6
Deven
Wendigo

Deven keeps pushing the rep limit!Deven keeps pushing the rep limit!Deven keeps pushing the rep limit!Deven keeps pushing the rep limit!Deven keeps pushing the rep limit!Deven keeps pushing the rep limit!Deven keeps pushing the rep limit!Deven keeps pushing the rep limit!Deven keeps pushing the rep limit!Deven keeps pushing the rep limit!Deven keeps pushing the rep limit!

This would be cute for desert:

http://www.geekologie.com/2012/05/ye...h-candy-in.php
Old 05-02-2012, 12:09 PM   #7
pjbbwlvr

pjbbwlvr has super-sized reppjbbwlvr has super-sized reppjbbwlvr has super-sized reppjbbwlvr has super-sized reppjbbwlvr has super-sized rep
Smile

Dam Mexican Food makes me so hungry!
Old 05-02-2012, 02:18 PM   #8
sugar and spice

sugar and spice has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!sugar and spice has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!sugar and spice has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!sugar and spice has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!sugar and spice has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!sugar and spice has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!sugar and spice has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!sugar and spice has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!sugar and spice has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!sugar and spice has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!sugar and spice has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Here are some ideas from Kraftfoods.com that looked tasty.
http://www.kraftrecipes.com/recipes/...ps-130400.aspx
http://www.kraftrecipes.com/recipes/...ad-124942.aspx
http://www.kraftrecipes.com/recipes/...os-123291.aspx
Old 05-02-2012, 10:03 PM   #9
HottiMegan
I'm a fat geek!

thanks for the ideas. We did the shopping today for the party.
I got a HUGE box of tomatoes at a restaurant supply store, so i'm going to make a ginormous batch of salsa.
Here's the menu:
Cheese and pepper tamales (i'm going to try and make them tomorrow evening)
cheese taquitos
jalapeno poppers
guacamole (i'm hoping the avocados ripen a bit)
Tex-Mex dip. (7 layer to some folks)
strawberries with chocolate dip
watermelon
veggies and hummus and ranch dip (not mexican but i needed some produce in the mix)
I'm sure i missed something..

I think that's it. We're expecting 10-15 folks so not a huge gathering. I bought a bunch of serving platters which will be nice to have on hand since we intend to throw a holiday party this year too and eventually do Halloween parties
Old 05-03-2012, 11:32 AM   #10
SoVerySoft
No fat no flavor

SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevenDoom View Post
Adorable! So clever. I passed the link on to coworkers who have kids.
"Well," said Pooh, "what I like best --" and then he had to stop and think. Because although Eating Honey was a very good thing to do, there was a moment just before you began to eat it which was better than when you were, but he didn't know what it was called. - A.A. Milne
SoVerySoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 03:07 PM   #11
HottiMegan
I'm a fat geek!

I would totally do them if i had the time/energy I only JUST got the boys' rooms unpacked/organized. I know the boys would love it as well as the 4 other kids that will be at the party.